Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Advice
sahm2three 06:16 AM 07-01-2011
I have a 2.5 yo dcb who I have been working with on PT for a couple months now, and in the last couple weeks I can't get him to go on the potty! He pees in his pullup all the time now. I have even set an alarm for every 30 mins to get him to try and still can't get him to go. He always says he goes when he is on the potty and doesn't. He had even started going #2 on the potty. Parents are wanting to just put him back in diapers but he was SOOOOOO close. What do you think??
kitkat 11:57 AM 07-01-2011
He sounds a little bit like my DD. She was so close, and then it all started to slip backwards for some reason. I did end up putting her back in diapers and then we started up in May again. Same thing...would do well (tell you she had to go and would usually make it in time) and then regress for some reason. I had enough with cleaning up the messes, so she's back in diapers again and now I'm not waiting for her to tell me she has to go, I'm taking her.

2.5 can be a bit young. If he's digging in his heels, I would just take a break from training and have the parents work on it at home if they want. Like my DD, he'll get it when he's ready. Hang in there and know all your hard work will pay off eventually!
TBird 12:16 PM 07-01-2011
I think a lot of kids start to do well and then maybe revert back a little bit. I know this isn't popular but sometimes I just like to go Cold Turkey and put them in underwear. The kids catch on to the Pull-Ups and pee in them just like it's a diaper. Once this is discovered, what's the use??? I used to use the 3-ply training underwear but they're so hard to find now. It's like they've been replaced by the Pull-Ups. I'm very modern but my potty training is so Old Skool, LOL!!!
bice99 12:21 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
I think a lot of kids start to do well and then maybe revert back a little bit. I know this isn't popular but sometimes I just like to go Cold Turkey and put them in underwear. The kids catch on to the Pull-Ups and pee in them just like it's a diaper. Once this is discovered, what's the use??? I used to use the 3-ply training underwear but they're so hard to find now. It's like they've been replaced by the Pull-Ups. I'm very modern but my potty training is so Old Skool, LOL!!!
Target is the only place I can find the thick training underwear. It's made by Gerber and in the baby section (go figure). I personally buy the first pack as an incentive for all of my PT's. Then I know I have the right kind to start with and parents know what kind I want as well.
cheerfuldom 12:29 PM 07-01-2011
If the parents want him back in diapers that most likely means that they have given up at home anyway. You most likely are having a huge regression for that reason.
familyschoolcare 01:28 PM 07-01-2011
I am a huge believer in child led potty training so i would put the child back in diapers. This happened with my child she is now 12. All children (unless they have a developmental disorder) will eventually potty train do you know any "developmentally normal" (lack of better term) 10 years old that are not potty trained.
Crazy8 01:36 PM 07-01-2011
in my experience if it takes "a few months" to potty train the child isn't really ready for it. I've never had a child take more than a week for it to "click". Sure there may be accidents after that but you can tell when they really have a clue what they are doing. I'd go back to diapers for a few months and then try again.
Christian Mother 01:53 PM 07-01-2011
I agree with LittleDiamonds..it normal takes about 2 wks to get them in the groove of being almost fully potty trained. And another 2 wks for pooping comfortably in the toilet. There are always a few signs to indicate when there ready. 2 1/2 is a great age to begin and if they are doing great that's awesome!! I have noticed though that children that do regress are bc parents aren't keeping up with the potty training...the are either to tired or get frustrated with the process. So they back off and then the children do as well. I haven't had any of my kids regress yet..lol there all 2 1/2 but if they do it nice to just take a brake and start over when they show interest again and then start from the beginning.
Country Kids 02:38 PM 07-01-2011
What do you do with a child though that is 3 and doesn't care about potty training at all! Even the mom is frustrated because this child doesn't care. Will go in the pull-up like no tomorrow and have tried underwear but child doesn't mind being wet. Won't even stop doing whatever even after they wet. Will show you where they wet and then go back to playing. Mom tried leaving in wet underwear for awhile and child just kept playing and didn't care. This is a first for me because the minute we do the underwear all of the dck's have trained in at least 3 days.
daycare 04:06 PM 07-01-2011
I tired the underwear first and then the pull up over them so taht they could get the feel. But I agree with waiting. When all the signs are they and they will. Just like walking, it's another milestone in thier life that they cant do until they have all of the readiness skills met.

I would go back to diapers and try again in two weeks.
melissa ann 04:07 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What do you do with a child though that is 3 and doesn't care about potty training at all! Even the mom is frustrated because this child doesn't care. Will go in the pull-up like no tomorrow and have tried underwear but child doesn't mind being wet. Won't even stop doing whatever even after they wet. Will show you where they wet and then go back to playing. Mom tried leaving in wet underwear for awhile and child just kept playing and didn't care. This is a first for me because the minute we do the underwear all of the dck's have trained in at least 3 days.
My son was 3 1/2 until he decided to use the potty. He had no interest whatsoever. He is smart. He knew his abc's and could count to 10 by the time he turned 2. He learned to write his name when he was 3 and even mom,dad his sister's name, and stop. He is very eager to learn new things, but not with using the bathroom. When I would try to get him to go, he would stand/sit on the little potty and say it's not working. He is also a big boy and size 6 diapers were a struggle to keep on. One day though, out of the blue, he said he had to go potty and BINGO! he went. He only had only a handful of accidents in the first few weeks. And in just a couple of days, insisted on standing up to use the bathroom. I was very frustrated to say the least. Everyone told me though, he would do it when he's ready. My doctor even said anything between 2 1/2- 3 1/2 is normal.
I had a dcb who was over 3 before he become potty trained. I know other boys from our church that were at least 3 before being potty trained. To me, I think boys are just not into using the potty. By that's JMO. My dd was 2 1/2 and the 2 dcgs I have, one was 2 and the other 2 1/2.
Country Kids 05:13 PM 07-01-2011
Thats seems to be the problem-this is a girl that is three! Every girl I know trains much earlier than boys but not this one. The thing is is she has been dry at night for quite awhile but won't even try during the day
Tags:potty training, potty training advice
Reply Up