Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This The Right Thing To Do?
daycare 09:41 AM 07-13-2011
So my numbers are low right now and I have been advertising without much luck.

I only have two full time kids and two part time kids. One of my FT kids will be leaving in August for kinder.

So when my DCK that leaves for kinder goes I will only have one FT kid left.

The DCK that will be left has a little brother that does not attend my DC, as I do not offer services to infants. the DCK has been here for almost a year and the sibling is now 14 months old. Lately the mom has been hinting to me that she is really struggeling having to drop off and pick up at two different DC. I totally understand the DCM position.

I usually only take ages 20month to 5 years of age not enrolled in school because i teach a preschool/kinder ready. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea if I were to offer a position for this families other child so that they could have both of their kids in my DC? I really can't afford to lose another child.

I am stepping lightly about this, becuase I have turned other families infants (under 12 months) away...

Would you break your policy and accept this child to keep the full time child here??
cheerfuldom 09:46 AM 07-13-2011
I would. Its not "breaking a policy", its making an exception at your discretion. I actually have that phrase all over my contract for cases like this. I don't let my contract hold me hostage in cases like this. Plus a 14 month old can be quite different than a child under 12 months. Walking and beginning speech and having a big brother there would be enough for me.
daycare 09:48 AM 07-13-2011
thanks for responding..... how do you have this worded? I don't think that I have those words in my PHB or contract.
sharlan 09:50 AM 07-13-2011
With numbers what they are, I would definitely take the baby.

I turned down a 9 mo last month and I'm kind of sorry I did. I did tell the mother to keep my number and if whatever didn't work out to call me.
nannyde 09:55 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So my numbers are low right now and I have been advertising without much luck.

I only have two full time kids and two part time kids. One of my FT kids will be leaving in August for kinder.

So when my DCK that leaves for kinder goes I will only have one FT kid left.

The DCK that will be left has a little brother that does not attend my DC, as I do not offer services to infants. the DCK has been here for almost a year and the sibling is now 14 months old. Lately the mom has been hinting to me that she is really struggeling having to drop off and pick up at two different DC. I totally understand the DCM position.

I usually only take ages 20month to 5 years of age not enrolled in school because i teach a preschool/kinder ready. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea if I were to offer a position for this families other child so that they could have both of their kids in my DC? I really can't afford to lose another child.

I am stepping lightly about this, becuase I have turned other families infants (under 12 months) away...

Would you break your policy and accept this child to keep the full time child here??
Do you think there is a market for the preschool/kindy ready? If there is not a market for it, you should consider other age groups and a different program.
wdmmom 10:00 AM 07-13-2011
I would! I don't much care for the baby babies but I'd do 12 months and up if numbers were low!
MarinaVanessa 10:01 AM 07-13-2011
I would also take the infant. It sounds like you need the client anyway and in my opinion I don't see a huge difference in 14 months and 20.

btw - have you thought of joining a local dc association or meeting other dc providers to network? DC associations usually do referals and they could send clients your way. If that's not available I would deffinetely network. I know a few providers in my area that know I have infant spots coming up next month and they'll send me clients with infants that call them and I send them calls for school agers etc. I know some providers don't want to work with other providers like this (I have heard many no's) but you'd be surprised to know how many would.
daycare 10:05 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Do you think there is a market for the preschool/kindy ready? If there is not a market for it, you should consider other age groups and a different program.
Nanny, yes I think that I am in a good market, as most of the programs around here cost and arm and a leg.
The ones that offer preschool only are also very expensive and they don't offer all daycare...

I offer both at about $500 less a month than a center does..

I think it has a lot to do with the economy right now as a lot of people are out of jobs and so one parent is home with the kids.

there are also a lot of illegal ops going on around here so I am dealing with that too...
I also only take private pay, so I have turned away a lot of assistance request.
daycare 10:07 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I would also take the infant. It sounds like you need the client anyway and in my opinion I don't see a huge difference in 14 months and 20.

btw - have you thought of joining a local dc association or meeting other dc providers to network? DC associations usually do referals and they could send clients your way. If that's not available I would deffinetely network. I know a few providers in my area that know I have infant spots coming up next month and they'll send me clients with infants that call them and I send them calls for school agers etc. I know some providers don't want to work with other providers like this (I have heard many no's) but you'd be surprised to know how many would.
HOw do I find out if there is a local DC assoc.? I have never heard of one in my area.
I was listed with the local R&R, but I asked they take me off their list becuase the only clients they were sending was state paid and I only take private pay.

I have tried to call a few providers, only one has offered to work with me, but that is only to send infants to that I wont take.
harperluu 10:36 AM 07-13-2011
Nanny, yes I think that I am in a good market, as most of the programs around here cost and arm and a leg.
The ones that offer preschool only are also very expensive and they don't offer all daycare...

I offer both at about $500 less a month than a center does..

I think it has a lot to do with the economy right now as a lot of people are out of jobs and so one parent is home with the kids.

there are also a lot of illegal ops going on around here so I am dealing with that too...
I also only take private pay, so I have turned away a lot of assistance request.
If you were in a good market for in home preschool, then you would be full.
If you were in a good market for in home preschool, you would be turning private pay clients away. The market dictates your business model. Illegals are typically an inexpensive option. Your market wants cheap. Lots of county pay typically means economical repressed areas, minorities, single parent families, working class. Your market needs flexibility with hours/low cost enrichment/ability to accept those on assistance. It might not be what you want for your child care, but the market doesn't lie.
daycare 10:48 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
If you were in a good market for in home preschool, you would be turning private pay clients away. The market dictates your business model. Illegals are typically an inexpensive option. Your market wants cheap. Lots of county pay typically means economical repressed areas, minorities, single parent families, working class. Your market needs flexibility with hours/low cost enrichment/ability to accept those on assistance. It might not be what you want for your child care, but the market doesn't lie.
I know what you are saying, however, I am not the only one not getting new clients... The two other providers that I talk with that do not have a kinder/preschool program and one of them charges more than me also has not been able to fill spots...

I know that money is an issue for a lot of people right now and I may just have to ride this wave out!! I guess I can only do one thing right now and that is to try to advertise more.
KEG123 11:24 AM 07-13-2011
I'd take the 14 month old only if mom plans to keep him/her there after the older sib goes to kindy.
Country Kids 11:45 AM 07-13-2011
I do a pre-school program with my childcare. The youngest I ever took was 16 months old and did it for financial reasons. Even though they were an awesome family there is no way a child this age is ready for a preschool program and it had caused alot of stress for me even though they are finally older. Doesn't communicate, still needed naps, so was hard to plan activities around this child. Also, parents weren't comfortable with transportation so field trips went out the window. Really, really think about this before you do it. I never accepted below 2 because of the pre-school but did this once and like I said stressful.

In the past I have had the sibling situation and parents just had to wait till child was old enough. They knew the rules coming in and that was fine with them. They were getting the preschool part for the older child and childcare for the littler one and the other place. Worked out great!
daycare 11:56 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I do a pre-school program with my childcare. The youngest I ever took was 16 months old and did it for financial reasons. Even though they were an awesome family there is no way a child this age is ready for a preschool program and it had caused alot of stress for me even though they are finally older. Doesn't communicate, still needed naps, so was hard to plan activities around this child. Also, parents weren't comfortable with transportation so field trips went out the window. Really, really think about this before you do it. I never accepted below 2 because of the pre-school but did this once and like I said stressful.

In the past I have had the sibling situation and parents just had to wait till child was old enough. They knew the rules coming in and that was fine with them. They were getting the preschool part for the older child and childcare for the littler one and the other place. Worked out great!
yes county this is exactly what I am afraid of too... I had this happen in the past and you are so dead on... This is what I was trying to tell my husband. And this is what I was trying to avoid as well.

I think I am going to just start advertising more and wait it out until the start of my preschool season. If I don't have any new kids well then I will for financial reason need to take on the sibling I will.

I love this site....glad to connect with those that know exactly how hard it is to deal with such a wide range of ages. When I did it in the past I was so stressed out all of the time trying to meet everyones needs. This is when I decided NO more infants.....
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 07-13-2011
I think being flexible and changing with the times is necessary to stay in business sometimes. I know you said you teach preschool/kindy readiness but if you aren't getting the phone calls for what you need;you may have to change what you are looking for....kwim?

IME, if you make exceptions for the money then you will end up feeling resentful and unhappy later.

It is easier to make changes versus exceptions.

I do not take the little ones either but I still do a preschool curriculum wiht the ones who are preschool age. I just do not require the littles to participate or join in (unless they want to).
daycare 02:03 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think being flexible and changing with the times is necessary to stay in business sometimes. I know you said you teach preschool/kindy readiness but if you aren't getting the phone calls for what you need;you may have to change what you are looking for....kwim?

IME, if you make exceptions for the money then you will end up feeling resentful and unhappy later.

It is easier to make changes versus exceptions.

I do not take the little ones either but I still do a preschool curriculum wiht the ones who are preschool age. I just do not require the littles to participate or join in (unless they want to).
this is my fear. I love the way things are now with this family and don't want to mess things up so that I will resent things later...
My husband is going to medical school come fall and I will be the only one working. I know that I am stressing right now about money, but I am just trying to bend with the times like you said.
nannyde 02:08 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
See above

I talked to my CCRC yesterday and they said they have so many providers starting child care that they have a huge waiting list to even get them through the required two hour session to be reffered by them.

The market here is FLOODED with child care providers. We have to accept that and realize that the game has changed.
daycare 02:10 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
See above

I talked to my CCRC yesterday and they said they have so many providers starting child care that they have a huge waiting list to even get them through the required two hour session to be reffered by them.

The market here is FLOODED with child care providers. We have to accept that and realize that the game has changed.
gotta say I agree with this...But if the market wants cheap well then my phone should be ringing off the hook. I know hands down that I am cheaper than all the listed DCs in my area but one. Most of them don't even offer a school program....
Meeko 02:53 PM 07-13-2011
How are you listed with your CCRR?

When I did child care in the military I had a hard time getting filling up. My friend Rachel said her phone rang off the hook. She would sent folks my way if she could. Then we figured out the obvious!

The provider list given to all personnel was alphabetical. Her last name began with B

mine's W..........people were going down the list and finding care before they called me.

Darn that alphabet!!
MarinaVanessa 05:09 PM 07-13-2011
HOw do I find out if there is a local DC assoc.? I have never heard of one in my area.
I was listed with the local R&R, but I asked they take me off their list becuase the only clients they were sending was state paid and I only take private pay.

I have tried to call a few providers, only one has offered to work with me, but that is only to send infants to that I wont take.
I found mine through my local R&R. You can call them and ask if they know of one near you. There may not be one in your area but it's worth a try. You can also go on google maps and look up your address then search for daycare associations nearby. If there is an association, odds are that they are listed.

Good luck!!
Tags:policy, policy exceptions
Reply Up