Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Child Care Provider

Default Business Liability Insurance...

Can anyone explain how their business liability insurance works for daycare in the home? I've been calling around and one place offers it for up to four children but never sent me all the details. Does that mean I can only have four children or do I need two policies with two different companies to cover all 7-9 kids I'll have in my care? Does it mean only four kids at the most per year can be hurt and be covered? I've asked for clarification and the lady on the phone was kind of rude so I ended the call as I'm going to call other places anyways.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

You can google home daycare liability insurance and some companies come up. I have West Bend Mutual and I love them. I got the policy through a local agent (most of the ones online you just fill out the application and mail it in with your check and that starts the policy- I must be old fashioned because I wanted to have someone to talk too!).

for the policies that cover up to 4 kids, that is the max that they will cover and if you have a claim they wont pay out at all if you have more than that amount of kids in your care. I am not sure about having more than one policy, but I would think it would be the same thing (that they would somehow try not to pay).

If you do a search on daycare.com you should be able to find some other insurance companies listed that offer daycare insurance.

good luck!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

It's tough here because there are very few dc liability companies that even offer their products in ND. I found 2 that do but their rates were high. I submitted a quote for another but never got a reply and then when we changed our homeowners policy I was able to get third party liaibility insurance through them. They actually covered me for the number on my license and it wasn't terribly expensive and it covered us in the car which all the others wouldn't. I'll pm you the agent's contact info in case you want to contact her.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Advanced Daycare.com

The policies I could find for daycare all had several limitations...no swingsets, no jungle gyms, no transportation, no taking the children off premises (like to the park), no wading pools, etc. and they only allowed coverage for 4-5 children. There wasn't an option to take out an additional policy to cover more children.

It might be cheaper to contact your homeowners insurance agency/agent and find out if you can put additional coverage on your current policy.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Try Day Care Insurance Services, INC.
1-800 624-0912

They where very comprehensiveness with no limitations. However, covering certain things (like transporting the children) did cost extra.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I simply took out a Personal Liability Umbrella Policy for 1,000,000 on my home owners. Not all companies will carry a rider for child care though.

Here in CA, licensing has always checked to make sure I have current house insurance, whenever they come out and years ago, my agent advised us to upgrade our personal liability insurance.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM

Check Tom Copeland's website. I think he has a directory of insurance companies.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
I simply took out a Personal Liability Umbrella Policy for 1,000,000 on my home owners. Not all companies will carry a rider for child care though.

Here in CA, licensing has always checked to make sure I have current house insurance, whenever they come out and years ago, my agent advised us to upgrade our personal liability insurance.
Interesting, licensing has never asked about my homeowner's insurance. I have Farmer's and my agent keeps telling me that I'm covered for the daycare. I even watched his dd years ago.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
Interesting, licensing has never asked about my homeowner's insurance. I have Farmer's and my agent keeps telling me that I'm covered for the daycare. I even watched his dd years ago.
Since 1995, I have had analysts ask me to show "proof of my home owner's insurance". I have been licensed since 1986 and there was a form (lic 282) that was titled "AFFIDAVIT REGARDING LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR FAMILY DAYCARE HOME" that needed to be signed, if you did NOT carry liability insurance, because the law stated you must have this or a bond in the amount of $300,000 annually.

I never had this signed, because I always carried home owners and this didn't apply to me. However, in 1995 the analyst asked for "proof of our home owners insurance policy" and actually took copies of the policy. This was indeed something new that I'd never experienced before.

It could be just our county...it is very apparent that CA is extremely inconsistent in their requirements! Since then, I have always kept proof of my home owners insurance policy with all of the other necessary paperwork for licensing in a file, when they come out.

It was several years ago that my agent advised me that the normal home owners insurance policy we had was not sufficient and suggested getting the Umbrella Policy for extra coverage.

I do know that many other insurance companies will not cover the liability for home daycare, because we shopped around to find one that worked for us.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAngels View Post
Check Tom Copeland's website. I think he has a directory of insurance companies.
I have called every company on his list and there are very few that over coverage in North Dakota. I called him to get some advice on direction. Ended up going with one not on his list but one of his suggestions was in my final choices.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Member Awaiting Status Upgrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
You can google home daycare liability insurance and some companies come up. I have West Bend Mutual and I love them. I got the policy through a local agent (most of the ones online you just fill out the application and mail it in with your check and that starts the policy- I must be old fashioned because I wanted to have someone to talk too!).

for the policies that cover up to 4 kids, that is the max that they will cover and if you have a claim they wont pay out at all if you have more than that amount of kids in your care. I am not sure about having more than one policy, but I would think it would be the same thing (that they would somehow try not to pay).

If you do a search on daycare.com you should be able to find some other insurance companies listed that offer daycare insurance.

good luck!
Have to agree on this. If you have time, you can search the internet and find lots of cheap business insurance that would meet your needs. Companies would offer comprehensive coverage. Most of them have limitations and if you want something extra, you would have to pay up

I emailed some of them and got a few replies. Their quotes were competetive and I would be meeting with an agent next week to iron things out

I did a search and got good results. Emailed some of them and got good quotes.

Last edited by Michael; 08-18-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Tags
business insurance, daycare liability insurance