Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Any Daycares In Your Basement? How To Keep Warm?

It's not even that cold yet and we are feeling the winter in my basement/daycare. The upstairs has the sun shining bright thru the windows so it keeps that part of the house nice and warm, so then the furnace doesn't kick on to heat the basement. If I do jack up the thermostat to make it run the upstairs is an oven! I have space heaters but for obvious reasons I can't turn them on. Any tips or tricks to keep your kids warm when you are a below ground level daycare?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I use a space heater. I have to keep it up a little higher so the kids don't mess with it, which isn't ideal, but it helps alot. It also is the kind that shuts off if tipped over.

You could also bolt a three-sided fireplace screen to the wall around the space heater, if you can find a combo that fits.

Our house was being built when we bought it (spec home). We missed the basement floor pouring by a week, otherwise we would have put in in-floor heat.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Daycare.com

My basement is fully insulated. It has brand new carpet and the thickest pad I could buy underneath. I also have a large egress window that lets in plenty of sunlight. That seems to keep it comparable to what the temp is upstairs. I also have a thermometer so I can be sure it doesn't get too cold.

I usually have my thermostat set at 70-72 degrees. The basement usually stays within a degree or two of whatever I have it set at.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Licensed Daycare Provider

I know we are not "supposed" to have space heaters running with kids here. I dont do daycare in basement BUT i do plug in space heater in main rooms when I first wake up...to let it get warm. Then at nap time if no babies are up I run it again. Can you do something like that? Do kids sleep down there?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

eheat.com

It mounts to the wall so technically it's not a space heater. It heats the space nicely, and I have the thermostat. Easily and completely programmable. Both for around $150.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have a walkout so we getlots of light but it's still chilly. I basically have a 3 story house so what I do in the winter is close all the floor vents upstairs, close 80% on the middle floor and leave all of them open in the basement (then I do the reverese in the summer). This forces heat in the basement and since hot air rises the whole house gets heated. In the morning when the furnace kicks in the basement is quite toasty!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I have a walkout so we getlots of light but it's still chilly. I basically have a 3 story house so what I do in the winter is close all the floor vents upstairs, close 80% on the middle floor and leave all of them open in the basement (then I do the reverese in the summer). This forces heat in the basement and since hot air rises the whole house gets heated. In the morning when the furnace kicks in the basement is quite toasty!
This is exactly what we do as well. I have also removed the ceiling vents in the basement and just put in the coverings that are a large hole rather than a vented hole. When we shut the vents in the two upper floors, it forces all the hot air into the basement. We actually keep the thermostat at 65, and the basement gets toasty warm.

Tags
basement, basement - staying warm, staying warm