Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>All My Kids Have A Parent At Home Due To Losing A Job But Are Keeping Me For Daycare!
permanentvacation 06:44 AM 01-17-2012
I have been scared to death all weekend long! I have 4 kids right now. Kid #1's dad has been unemployed for about 6 months or more. Kid 2's parent just got fired Friday. Kids 3 and 4's (Both from same family) dad got laid off Friday!

So, technically, NONE of my parents NEED daycare right now!!! Needless to say, I've been worried to death all week long about when they are goin to leave daycare!

All of them came in this morning and said that no matter what, they are keeping their children in my daycare! Financially, of course, I'm unbelieveably thankful that they are keeping me! But it also occured to me that by them making sure not to lose my daycare services even while they are hurting for money from having one parent unexpectedly unemployed, that says alot of how they appreciate what I am doing with their children and don't want to take a chance on having to find someone else to watch their children when they get another job!

All of my parents have told me that they see such a great difference in their children since they started with me. In their behavior, scholastic ability, and everything. But for them to finagle things to make sure to keep me while they are unemployed really shows me how much they truly appreciate my services.
Meeko 07:36 AM 01-17-2012
Way to go! It's so nice to be appreciated in a profession that is often the opposite. Too often providers are the first to go and the last to get paid etc...
PitterPatter 08:15 AM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I have been scared to death all weekend long! I have 4 kids right now. Kid #1's dad has been unemployed for about 6 months or more. Kid 2's parent just got fired Friday. Kids 3 and 4's (Both from same family) dad got laid off Friday!

So, technically, NONE of my parents NEED daycare right now!!! Needless to say, I've been worried to death all week long about when they are goin to leave daycare!

All of them came in this morning and said that no matter what, they are keeping their children in my daycare! Financially, of course, I'm unbelieveably thankful that they are keeping me! But it also occured to me that by them making sure not to lose my daycare services even while they are hurting for money from having one parent unexpectedly unemployed, that says alot of how they appreciate what I am doing with their children and don't want to take a chance on having to find someone else to watch their children when they get another job!

All of my parents have told me that they see such a great difference in their children since they started with me. In their behavior, scholastic ability, and everything. But for them to finagle things to make sure to keep me while they are unemployed really shows me how much they truly appreciate my services.
I can see how you would worry but the parents words would make me relax a little. Do you have a 2 week notice policy in your contract? Hopefully since your clients are so appreciative they will follow those guidelines at least.

I hope they all find work soon to put your worries at ease!
AmyLeigh 09:34 AM 01-17-2012
That is great!
Just a thought. Can you cut the kiddos back by 1 day a week each and reduce your rate accordingly to find a middle ground? Child can still stay with you, you get paid, child gets one extra day with parent, parent cuts expense by a little bit. Sounds like a win-win.
permanentvacation 11:13 AM 01-17-2012
I actually offered to lower the one parent who has 2 kids here by $20/week /child and have them still come all week. That would have saved them $40/wk but the dad said no, he willl pay the regular fee because I'm worth it. I already have another parent who on the interview offered to pay me $20/week more than I quoted initially. They said that I do much more than their previous childcare provider and am worth the higher pay. So I told them that if they want to give me a tip each week, I'll take it! They have been paying me the extra $20/week for around 2 years now!
permanentvacation 11:15 AM 01-17-2012
I used to have a 2 weeks notice clause, but I took it out this January. I got tired of arguing with parents and having to threaten to take them to court for it. Also, I have had a couple of kids that I didn't want to have to wait 2 weeks for them to leave! So they aren't required to give me notice and I am not required to give them notice now.
dave4him 04:47 PM 01-17-2012
That is great they are keeping the kids in the daycare. I guess the only thing scarier then the job market is watching your own kids...
Tags:taking advantage
Reply Up