Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default At What Temperature Do You Send Kids Home?

Just wondering where every one stands. I send home at 101. But I am seriously second guessing that now. Seems kinda high??
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

I think it's a little high. I think my sons' school is 100.2
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Parent and Provider

Above 100.0
Old 02-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I do 101.0
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

Speaking of temps, I have a school Ager and his mom called me from school asking if I could pick him up and he had 101 temp are you kidding me! I have infants plus my own children and I don't want my house to come down with what ever he has, I said no and she said wtf I will lose my job and bla bla bla! Are you kidding!how dare she curse at me. So I ask if heis coming in am and she said well of douse my son is not sick she then said I gave him motrine now and I will before bed time and then some in the am so another words she is doping him up instead of taking him to doc!!!! Won't the school still call the mom if he's not home for 24 hours after his temp is gone? And I'm truly srry to vent in you post, hope ur not mad I took it over
Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

melissaythayer -- our school doesn't send home for kids who were sick, only kids who are actively sick.

My policy simply says "fever". I don't care how high or what causes it. Obviously, if the fever is 100* and the baby is acting fine then I don't call. But a baby who is acting off and has a fever gets to go home.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
melissaythayer -- our school doesn't send home for kids who were sick, only kids who are actively sick.

My policy simply says "fever". I don't care how high or what causes it. Obviously, if the fever is 100* and the baby is acting fine then I don't call. But a baby who is acting off and has a fever gets to go home.
Wow I didn't know some schools won't send children home. Our schools will call if it's over 100/
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMama View Post
Just wondering where every one stands. I send home at 101. But I am seriously second guessing that now. Seems kinda high??
They go at 100 deg. I don't play with fevers. May be nothing but better safe than sorry there are some nasty germs out there.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 AM
Provider and Parent

I send home at 101 SUSTAINED for 45 minutes.

From time to time kids can spike a healthy fever, it means their immune system is working.

If it is still elevated after 45 minutes, they may need more help so are sent home for bed rest and fluids; possibly even a doctors visit depending on coexisting symptoms.

Fever is not an illness. I have to explain that to parents alot. Fever is a good thing.... The scary illnesses are the ones that fever never/barely happens because it overwhelms them.... Cold Sepsis.

Rushing to break a fever (tylenol) before it has a chance to fight illness is not a good thing.

Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 AM

High 100's and 101 or above for sure.

I agree with Catherder on fevers. I tend to let my own kids burn a bit up to 101-102 unless there are other symptoms. (headache, sore throat, etc.)

Melissa - are you down as an emergency pick up person for that child? If you are, you should probably add to your contract that you will not pick up children that are sick. (better yet, don't be the emergency pick up person because that's the main reason they send the children home from school.)
Just take it in stride - that mother needs to realize the the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. (Live long and prosper.)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post

From time to time kids can spike a healthy fever, it means their immune system is working.

If it is still elevated after 45 minutes, they may need more help so are sent home for bed rest and fluids; possibly even a doctors visit depending on coexisting symptoms.

Fever is not an illness. I have to explain that to parents alot. Fever is a good thing.... The scary illnesses are the ones that fever never/barely happens because it overwhelms them.... Cold Sepsis.

Rushing to break a fever (tylenol) before it has a chance to fight illness is not a good thing.
that's what I figure...by the time they get a fever, we've all been exposed to the actual illness.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Good point. I don't have a hard and fast rule. If they're miserable and I'm unable to care for them adequately (extra snuggling, etc) then I send them home. I will medicate at naptime sometimes so they can get a decent sleep and if I had my own kids I'd medicate at bedtime depending on how high the fever is and the other symptoms, again, for a good sleep.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I like that policy. I too have a hard time explaining to my dcps, and even my DH, that an elevated temperature itself is not the problem. DH tends to get antsy if our kids temps are even slightly warm. He asks, all panicked, "Does she need Motrin?!" My DD had a fever over the weekend in the AM (101.2) so we made his parents (who live 2 hrs away) stay home and not come up here to get professional photos done with the kids, and they have been calling *all week*..."How's DD? Is she still sick with that really high fever?" omg guys, no wonder your kids were so sickly as children...you never gave their immune systems time to FIGHT anything!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Daycare.com Member/Mod

I also agree with Catherder. I don't have a set temp that sends a kid home though because each kid is definitely different. I do need to see the fever be for a consistent amount of time though.

My own DD was down and out at 99F while my own DS was running around like a madman at 104F so how fevers affect each individual child is definitely something I take into consideration. I watch behavior and send home when "actively sick" as another member said.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM

I call parents at 101, and we take it from there.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

100-100.4 depending on symptoms. I have a Preemie in my care very susceptible to germs!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks for all your input

I think I will be changing my handbook to be a little more vague so I can base it per child and per symptoms like many of you have said.

My own dd has hit 105* MANY times and was running around the er like nothing was wrong It usually jumps that high for her when she gets croup
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
I like that policy. I too have a hard time explaining to my dcps, and even my DH, that an elevated temperature itself is not the problem. DH tends to get antsy if our kids temps are even slightly warm. He asks, all panicked, "Does she need Motrin?!" My DD had a fever over the weekend in the AM (101.2) so we made his parents (who live 2 hrs away) stay home and not come up here to get professional photos done with the kids, and they have been calling *all week*..."How's DD? Is she still sick with that really high fever?" omg guys, no wonder your kids were so sickly as children...you never gave their immune systems time to FIGHT anything!
My husband is the same way. called me crazy because my son said he had a tummy ache but sent him to school anyway! He now tells me "I think Im gonna have a headache tomorrow, I need to stay home!" I went unless there was physical evidence if you know what I mean. I guess I am complaining about the same things the parents do when we call though, huh?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissathayer28 View Post
Wow I didn't know some schools won't send children home. Our schools will call if it's over 100/
I have a 'sick' school ager here on Monday. The school called dad saying daughter was complaining of a stomache ache. Waitied a few hours, and still had a stomache ache (No fever, no vomit) so they called dad again. Who called me. I said as long as she is within my sick policy that's fine to bring her over. But I was stunned the school called to send her home with just a stomache ache.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

My contract says 100 degrees F. And then they have to be no fever without tylenol for 24 hours before coming back.

Tags
fever, fever - policy, immune system, sick policy, temperature