Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Sensory Table DESIGN

There has been a lot about sensory tables/bins. Now I would love to see designs of these bins/tables. Is what I'm meaning is do you use a homemade stand with a plastic container, a container on the floor, a container on the table, how do you set your bin/table up for the kids to play in it once it is ready for use.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

For the inside sand table, My hubby built it out of scrap wood, and used a cement mixing tub from Home Depot.

012.jpg

Sometimes I put out sensory bins as well. These are just rubbermaid tubs, dishpans, trays, or buckets, depending on what we are doing. They go on the floor or on the kids table.

My DH made the outside water table as well. He used to work at a plastics company, so every once in a while he stops in to say hi, and picks up a few cast-offs that were made wrong. (He uses them for oil drip pans...he's a mechanic now) They are typcially stronger then rubbermaid tubs, and can stand up to anything.

So, if you have a plastics company near you...stop in and ask. They usually give the mess ups away!

The pic is here.....it won't let me post it again...

http://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30123
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 AM

I use dishpans for each bin but I love Mel's table!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Daycare Member

I use a white Ikea Lack side table (the short square one) with a bin on it. The bin I use is just a wide, shallow, clear Rubbermaid bin that has a lid. I've got velcro on the bottom of it to keep it in place on the Ikea table.

What I like about it: It's easy to take the bin off to dump it or clean it out. It's up off the floor so that the babies don't get into it. And it has the lid so that when I don't want the kids to play in it, I just put the lid on and they know that means it's "closed". Also, it's easy to dismantle for storage (which is a necessity in my tiny house). And, it's really cheap

The big disadvantage is that it does tend to slide around on my tile floor, but I suppose I could fix that by putting something on the bottom of the legs. Also, it's not professional-looking, but most of my parents have never seen a sensory table before anyway, so they're just impressed that we have one!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM

My husband is making something similar to mels. We are putting it on locking wheels.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 AM

once second I will post in a seperate thread what dh has built for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 AM

Inside, I use the aluminum steam pans at the kitchen table. Depending on what is in it, I'll use the 1/2 size and set it on a large cookie sheet.

Right now, I have a packet of water beads in a 1/2 size pan.

Outside, I have 2 of the cement mixing pans from Home Depot set on a low table. I keep sand in those. I also have a water table from Step 2 (I think). I don't bring sand into the house.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melskids View Post
For the inside sand table, My hubby built it out of scrap wood, and used a cement mixing tub from Home Depot.

Attachment 875

Sometimes I put out sensory bins as well. These are just rubbermaid tubs, dishpans, trays, or buckets, depending on what we are doing. They go on the floor or on the kids table.

My DH made the outside water table as well. He used to work at a plastics company, so every once in a while he stops in to say hi, and picks up a few cast-offs that were made wrong. (He uses them for oil drip pans...he's a mechanic now) They are typcially stronger then rubbermaid tubs, and can stand up to anything.

So, if you have a plastics company near you...stop in and ask. They usually give the mess ups away!

The pic is here.....it won't let me post it again...

http://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30123

I can't see it I've noticed I can't view some photos even when signed in I'm sure it's awesome tho! I'm thinking of making one to, but not sure if I want an actual table or just a bin on the ground.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

DBug, velcro on bottom!! Genius!! I've been wondering what to do until hubby worked his way down my to-do list and made me a real one--looking at my list and his own list, that may be a full generation from now. Thank you for mentioning this.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

I also use a dish pan for each child. I have a very young aggresive crowd and it works best for me if they all have their own space
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

I like these:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sens...-how-to-106693

Tags
sensory bins, sensory table