Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Wrong Payment Form

In my policy handbook, it states that all payments received must be in the form of cash - nothing else.

I have never had any problems until today. DCD walks in, says he doesn't have cash and hands me a check. I was totally taken off guard and just said OK.

Now that I have had time to think about it, I am very annoyed.

My plan was to let it slide this one time and if it happens again - hand it back and enforce the policy.

I thought about giving it back to him today and telling him to bring cash tomorrow but I am afraid he will make the excuse that he won't be able to get to a bank.

What would you do?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

If it were me I would just take the check, and remind him that from now on you must be paid in cash only (uness payment by check will cause a probem for you when you cash it- then give it back at pick up and tell him you were caught off guard this morning and can ony accept cash). Sorry! I hate when parents do stuff ike that
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama View Post
If it were me I would just take the check, and remind him that from now on you must be paid in cash only (uness payment by check will cause a probem for you when you cash it- then give it back at pick up and tell him you were caught off guard this morning and can ony accept cash). Sorry! I hate when parents do stuff ike that
Ditto. Just be honest with him and tell him how you were caught off guard because not a SINGLE parent has ever paid you in the wrong form and you honestly were thrown off by it. Tell him he needs to pay in cash. Honestly, I'd give him a courtesy text or call before pick-up (anytime today really) and tell him to bring cash when he comes. That way he has the chance to go to an atm. You can return the check then.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

As we say Communication is KEY...

Just as the others say, I only accept cash payments, I will accept your check this time, but next time I will need cash.

If he shows up with another check, you send him and child home to go get cash.

Just curious, why don't you accept other forms of payment?

I have all of my clients set up on direct deposit. On the last Friday of each month all of my clients pay monthly one month in advance.

It helps to keep paper trails for the client and for me. Easy peasy at tax time...
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Daycare.com

Make sure the bank is local. Call them and ask to verify funds. Take it directly to the bank it is drawn off of and cash it. If the bank can't verify the funds, give the check back and demand they bring cash in the morning.