Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance American Web Loan LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Throwing Up...

just curious, I know centers say that after the 3rd diarrhea episode they go home and don't come back after 24 hrs clear... How about throwing up, will the 1st time do to send home for 24 hrs?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokalima View Post
just curious, I know centers say that after the 3rd diarrhea episode they go home and don't come back after 24 hrs clear... How about throwing up, will the 1st time do to send home for 24 hrs?
I don't know about centers but I would definitely send them home after one vomit episode. I do not mess with stomach bugs.

K

dd12
ds 10
dd 8
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

One and they go home
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Daycare.com Member

1 and they are sent home for at least 24 hrs., if it's bad (with a fever etc) I try to exclude for 48 hrs.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Provider in Training

The home daycare I used to work at she would call the parents if they just threw up once. I remember one of my classmated in 4th grade threw up on her desk during class and the teacher just said "Go to the nurses office, your going home" and then called the janitor- because that is usually a sign of a stomach virus or a more serious illness. At my college's preschool center I think they do this too because only qualified people can clean up vomit (hazmat trained janitors) and because the other kids are suseptable to it and the janitors leave early. It also depends on what is in your contract.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Daycare.com Member/Mod

One episode (regardless of why) and they go home.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

See ya...... And may not return until 24 hours vomit free.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Our health dept. and licensing rules state that one episode of vomit and they are home until no more vomiting for 24 hours.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

one time is good enough for me!!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

One and done!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Director Licensed Care

same as everyone else...
ONE ... OUT~~~~~
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

And BTW, our centers here say 2 bouts of explosive diarrhea and they go home.

1 incident for vomit.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Daycare Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokalima View Post
I send home after 2 diarehha incidents within a 1 hr timeframe & 1 throw-up & you are gone - no second chances
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Family Childcare Home

I send home after 2 diarrhea episodes and send home after one throwing up episode.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

My kids never get sick, very,very rarely they do. DCK got sick during weekend, dcm was nice enough to tell me Sunday night so I told her over phone that dck needed to stay home, ok, good. Yesterday the little girl comes back, mom says she is doing better, no fever, so once mom is gone, girl has an episode of throwing up plus fever. Called mom over the phone and she was clearly upset because I let her know she had to keep dcg home again. She came passed the hour after I called and she works 15 minutes from here. Then when she picked up she was clearly upset, did not say it out loud, but you know parents when their attitude changes. Anyways, I asked cause sometimes this situations make me feel sorry for them and insecure about my policies and want to ask what do others do to help me know I am doing the right thing.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Where I live, the norm with all daycares is 2 diarhea episodes get a child sent home. 1 vomit, bye bye!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I once lost a family due to this very reason. The 1 yo vomited one day and as I was trying to get him away from it and cleaned up, the other kids were all fascinated with the vomit which I had to leave until I got the child in a better position.

I called mom and washed the childs clothes. Mom sent grandma so dcb had clean clothes on and dcm acted very put off by having to have him picked up. They sent him back the next day.

Same exact thing happened...only this time I didn't wash his clothes, just bagged them up and sent them home. Never heard from them again until I took them to court for non-payment of their fees, where they CLAIMED I just didn't want to watch their son and they CLAIMED I had never given them a copy of the contract.

I DID give them a copy to sign and return to me, which they had never done so I was not able to collect the 2 week termination fees. That was when I learned that I do not send the contract home with the parents, they sign it in my presence.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Sunshine74

One and done at our center.

With one notable exception. Years ago, DCB had a very sensitive stomach. If he saw someone vomit, he would too. He also vomited when touching pumpkin "guts".
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Daycare Member

One and done and may not return until 24hours later. No matter what the reason.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
One and done and may not return until 24hours later. No matter what the reason.
For me if they are kept home voluntarily it's 24 hours, if I send them home it's 48 hours . Thank You BlackCat.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
New Daycare.com Member

1 time is all it takes for me, no matter what the reason. They must be 24 hours vomit free also. This just happened to me yesterday, 9 month old threw up all over the pack n' play and herself, poor thing was a mess, had to give her a bath and scrub/sanitize the pack n' play. And of course at pick up I got the I guess she can't come tomorrow??? Uh, NO!

Tags
throw up, vomit, vomiting