Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance American Web Loan LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Tips for Multi Age

I've had all 3,4 and 5 year olds for the past 2-3 years. I now have a just turned two year old mixed in. I'm finding it hard to constantly watch the 2y old who is very busy and still getting preschool stuff done or anything for that matter with the others.

The little boy is new so I know that's part of it but I also have a 4y old DCB that copies everything the other boy does or laughs which isn't helping the matter.

Those that normally have a mixed group like this can you give me any tips how to be in two places at once all day?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have my 2 yr olds do what everyone else does. If we are doing circle time, they do circle time too. If we are coloring, they are coloring. They may need more encouragement to participate, especially if they are new, but they do participate. At first it may be sitting on my lap during circle time - until they realize this is what we do as a group.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I have my 2 yr olds do what everyone else does. If we are doing circle time, they do circle time too. If we are coloring, they are coloring. They may need more encouragement to participate, especially if they are new, but they do participate. At first it may be sitting on my lap during circle time - until they realize this is what we do as a group.

Me too- everyone (except small babies but as much as possible) participate to the level they can. Two year olds can def sit for circle time on you or next to you, they will benefit from coloring, paper tearing, etc... That way you can still at least focus on one general group rather than the group and a rouge 2 yr old running around!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
I've had all 3,4 and 5 year olds for the past 2-3 years. I now have a just turned two year old mixed in. I'm finding it hard to constantly watch the 2y old who is very busy and still getting preschool stuff done or anything for that matter with the others.

The little boy is new so I know that's part of it but I also have a 4y old DCB that copies everything the other boy does or laughs which isn't helping the matter.

Those that normally have a mixed group like this can you give me any tips how to be in two places at once all day?
When I have one little, they sit with me - in my lap for story (helping me turn the pages or pointing out the pictures) They go in a booster seat (buckled) at the table with everyone else for the arts & crafts/sensory portion (I modify the project for them) I also have a super play yard that they go in while I can't be right with them.
I also have a strong willed 4 yo dc boy who will use others behavior as an excuse to do things he knows he shouldn't Maybe if he can't behave for preschool activities I might plan something I know he loves and let him know that he can only participate if he shows good behavior. And then follow through.

Admittedly I've was very lucky with the my current 2 yo, because my last two young ones were very difficult (in to everything and tantrums when redirected ) so hopefully you can get a good routine going soon!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

You can have the preschoolers around the table doing a craft and the 2 year old in a high chair pulled up to the table with something separate for him to do. If it is something that is related to what the older ones are doing that is great but, if not, that is okay too.

Laurel
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I should have mentioned I don't have a regular kitchen table, just a kids table with kid chairs. My space is seperate from my main home. Do those booster seats with staps attach to smaller kid chairs? I may get one of those if they do.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I should have mentioned I don't have a regular kitchen table, just a kids table with kid chairs. My space is seperate from my main home. Do those booster seats with staps attach to smaller kid chairs? I may get one of those if they do.
yes, that's what I use.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Daycare.com Member/Mod

I usually assign my oldest (or my most well behaved) to be the new kids buddy for the first week.

I encourage the older more seasoned kid to show the newbie how to behave and what we can and can't do here.

Works great and allows the older child to be the classroom ambassador which most kids really strive to be since that is a very "coveted" position here.