Alabama Childcare
State Requirements

Worker Qualifications
Child Care Workers or Teachers: Must be at least 19 years old and have high school diploma or GED.
Provider /Child Ratio
Age Range Ratio For Center Based Care In Alabama State
0 - 18 months (1:5)
18 months up to 2 ½ years (1:7)
24 months up to 36 months (1:8)
2 ½ years up to 4 years (1:11)
4 years to school age* (1:18)
School age* up to 8 years (1:21)
8 years and older (1:22)
Age Range Ratio For Family Child Care In Alabama State
All ages (1:6) family members not included
Licensing Process in Alabama State
For purposes of these regulations, a license is required for persons:
• Providing care for one or more children who are not related to the provider;
• With or without compensation;
Away from the child's home;
• For more than four (4) hours in a 24 hour period.
Child day care centers in Alabama legally operate in one of two ways: Licensed or license exempt. All centers that require a license must be licensed by the Department of Human Resources and renewed every two years. The Department of Human Resources prescribes and enforces minimum standards for licensing approval. Consultation is provided to assist providers and parents. Every licensed center must be in compliance with licensing regulations as prescribed by the State Department of Human Resources.
- Any person, group of persons or corporation may obtain an application form for a license to operate a child care center by contacting the Department of Human Resources.
- An application for a license to operate a child care center shall be made to the Department of Human Resources on the required form(s) and shall contain all information requested on the form(s).
- An application for a license is not transferable from one person, group of persons, or corporation to another or from one location to another.
- After receipt of the completed application, a representative of the Department of Human Resources will examine the premises proposed for the center and will investigate the person(s) responsible for the center.
- The examination and investigation will be based on the minimum standards and regulations as prescribed and published by the Department.
- When minimum standards for the operation of a center have been met, a license will be issued.
- If an application is denied, the Department shall notify the applicant of the decision in writing, indicating the reason(s) for the denial.
- The applicant may withdraw the application either verbally or in writing.
Every licensed center must...
Have a valid license, a current licensing evaluation, and fire and health department approvals posted in a conspicuous place for parents to see
Not exceed, at any time, the number of children for which the center is licensed (stated on the license)
Post a schedule of daily activities
Post emergency procedures
Provide parents with a copy of the center's operating policies prior to the child's admission
Have a working telephone in the center
Have a physical environment that is clean, uncluttered, and free of hazards
Have child-sized and/or child adapted furniture and bathroom facilities
Post weekly menus
Serve nutritious meals and snacks in accordance with the USDA Food and Nutrition Service
Have clean cots and/or cribs for each child
Have a fenced, outdoor play area
Have a fence surrounding a swimming pool
Allow parental access
Provide proper supervision of all children at all times
Not exceed the required child/staff ratio.

Contact Information
Child Care Licensing Agency
Alabama Department of Human Resources
Child Care Services Division
Gordon Persons Building
50 Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36130-1801
Phone: (334) 242-1425
Fax: (334) 353-1491
Alabama Daycare Listings
Child Care Subsidy Agency
Alabama Department of Human Resources
Child Care Services Division
50 North Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36130-1801
Phone: (334) 242-1425
Toll Free: (866) 528-1694
Fax: (334) 353-1491

Head Start - State Collaboration Office
Alabama Department of Children's Affairs
2 North Jackson Street, Suite 602
Montgomery, AL 36104
Phone: (334) 223-0536
Fax: (334) 223-0712

Child Care Food Program Agency
Alabama Department of Education
Gordon Persons Building
50 North Ripley Street, Room 5301
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-2101
Phone: (334) 242-1988
Fax: (334) 353-5388
State Child Care Resource & Referral Contact
Family Guidance Center of Alabama
2358 Fairlane Drive
Montgomery, AL 36116
Phone: (334) 270-4100, ext. 227
Toll Free: (800) 499-6597
Fax: (334) 244-1689

Office of Child Support Enforcement
Department of Human Resources
Child Support Enforcement Division
50 Ripley Street, PO Box 304000
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-1801
Phone: (334) 242-9300
Fax: (334) 242-0606

Child Abuse Reporting
To report suspected child abuse in Alabama, call Local (toll): (334) 242-9500.

For national child abuse information, Childhelp®, 800-4-A-CHILD (800-422-4453), or your local CPS agency.

Home        Login      Sign-Up          Forum        Toys & Products        About Us