for DayCare Centers
APPENDIX A: Definitions
- "Act" means the Child Care Facility Licensing Act as amended.
A public or private school which operates a Kindergarten in conjunction with grades
one and above, or for grades one and above only and provides short-term custodial
care (not to exceed 20 hours weekly) prior to and/or following classes for those
students, not required to comply with licensing requirements for the short-term
custodial care is provided.
- "Child Care Center" means any Child Care Facility conducted
under public or private auspices on a profit or nonprofit basis providing
direct care and protection for children. Any facility that is open more than
five (5) hours during any 24 hour period or more than a total of ten (10)
hours during a seven (7) day period is considered a Child Care Center and
shall be subject to the provisions of the Child Care Facility Licensing Act.
Those facilities meeting the above definitions but operating no more than
three weeks are not required to comply with the licensing requirements, i.e.:
Summer Bible Schools and Day Camps.
- "Child Care Facility" means any facility defined by Ark.
Code Ann. § 20-78-202(4).
- "Child Care Licensing Unit" means the unit within the
Department of Human Services, Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education,
that inspects and investigates any proposed or operating Child Care Center
and any personnel connected with the center to determine if the facility will
be or is being operated in accordance with the Child Care Facility Licensing
Act and the Licensing Requirements for the Child Care Centers.
- "Child Maltreatment Central Registry Check" means a check
of the Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry for any record of founded
child abuse and neglect or maltreatment.
- "Criminal Record Check" means a statewide criminal record
check conducted by the Identification Bureau of the Arkansas State Police.
- "Criminal FBI Check" means a nationwide criminal record
check conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that conforms to the
applicable federal standards and includes the taking of fingerprints. Application
for a nationwide criminal check shall be made to the Identification Bureau
of the Department of the Arkansas State Police.
- "Day Care Centers" means child care for children age 2
1/2 or 30 months and above.
- "Department" means the Arkansas Department of Human Services.
- "Division" means the Division of Child Care and Early
- "Employee" means all full or part-time employees who
perform services under the direction and control of the Child Care Facility.
- "Evening and Night Care" means child care provided between
7:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- "Infant Center" means child care for children from birth
to age 18 months.
- "Kindergarten" means a school based program offered for
children five (5) years of age during the school year prior to their entry
into the first grade.
- "Operator" means any person or entity exercising any
measure of supervision or control over a Child Care Facility.
- "Owner" means any person who assumes the legal responsibility
for operation of a child care facility.
- "Part-time Care" means child care provided no longer
than four (4) hours per day or not to exceed a maximum of 20 hours per week.
These types of programs may include, but are not limited to, half day kindergarten,
mother's day out programs, play schools and some nursery schools.
- "Personnel" is defined as the facility owner or operator,
employee or volunteer.
- "Program" is defined as all activities that comprise
the child's day at the center.
- "Toddler Center" means child care for ages 18 to 36 months.
- "School Age Care" means child care for children who are
in kindergarten and above. School age child care includes before and after
school care and extended care during school holidays and summer day camps.
School age programs, which operate with children arriving and leaving voluntarily
for scheduled classes, activities, practices, games and meetings, shall not
be considered as meeting this definition.
- "Sick Care" is defined as a separate service providing
care for children who are too sick to attend day care as stated in Section
1000 but who do not exhibit any of the excludable diseases as defined in Section
1500. The primary objective of this service is to insure that children in
care receive the required attention necessary for moderately ill children.
- "Substantial Compliance" means compliance with all essential
standards necessary to protect the health, safety and welfare of the children
attending the Child Care Center. Essential standards include but are not limited
to those relating to issues involving fire, health, safety, nutrition, discipline,
staff/child ratio and space.
- "Swimming Pool" means any pool of water in excess of
12 inches deep. This does not include natural pools of water such as lakes,
ponds and rivers.
- "Volunteer" means a person who provides services to a
Child Care Facility at no cost to the facility.