Licensing Standards for Family DayCare
DEFINITION OF TERMS
4. "Administrator" means the individual responsible for the supervision and administration of the Office of Child Care Licensing.
5. "Caregiver" means the person who is issued the Family Child Care License by the Department and is responsible for the direct care, education, protection, supervision and guidance of the child in a family child care home.
6 "Change of Shift" means the simultaneous care of children from two shifts in which the ending time of the first shift overlaps the beginning time of the second shift. Change of shift care may be provided to no more than two (2) children for not more than two (2) hours in any child care day.
7. "Child" means any person who has not reached the age of eighteen (18) years and is in the care of the Family Child Care Home.
8. "Child Abuse and Neglect" means the physical injury by other than accidental means, injury resulting in a mental or emotional condition which is a result of abuse or neglect, negligent treatment, sexual abuse, maltreatment, mistreatment, nontreatment, exploitation or abandonment, of a child under the age of eighteen (18) years.
9. "Department" means the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families.
10. "Division Director" means the Director of the Division of Family Service.
11. "Family Child Care Home" means a private home in which child care for one to six children at any one time who are not relatives of the Caregiver is provided.
12. "Family Child Care License" means a written certification, whether provisional or annual, issued by the Department to the applicant to publicly document that he/she has self-certified compliance with the Requirements for Family Child Care Homes and the law.
13. "Family Child Care Licensure" means the process by which the Caregiver self-certifies that he/she has complied with the Requirements for Family Child Care Homes and the law.
14. "Helper" means a youth, at least ten (10) years of age and three years older than the oldest child in care, who assists the Caregiver with child care. A Caregiver or substitute caregiver must be present when a helper is used.
15. "Infant" means any child who is under the age of twelve (12) months.
16. "Institutional Abuse" occurs when a person responsible for a child's care in an out-of-home setting jeopardizes the well being of a child that results or may result in physical or emotional injury.
17. "Office of Child Care Licensing" means the organization authorized by the Department to assume specified licensing responsibilities pursuant to 31 Del. C. Ch. 3, and 29 Del.C. § 9003.
18. "Parent" means the child's natural or adoptive mother or father, guardian, or other legally responsible person.
19. "Preschool Child" means a child two (2) through four (4) years of age.
20. "Private Home" means a non-public residence such as a house, duplex, townhouse, apartment or mobile home where the Caregiver lives and has control over the furnishings and use of space. An individual unit in public housing and university housing complexes is considered a private home.
21. "Regular Basis" means child care services which are available and provided at a Family Child Care Home on more than one (1) day in any one (1) week or for periods longer than three (3) weeks in any calendar year.
22. "Relative" means a person having any of the following relationships by blood, marriage, or adoption between the Caregiver and the child in care: parent, grandparent, great-grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, stepparent, stepbrother, stepsister. A cousin, for the purpose of this definition, shall not be considered a relative.
23. "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families
24. "School-age Child" means any child age five (5) years or older who is in a public or private school. A child attending kindergarten, for the purpose of this definition, shall be considered a School-age Child.
25. "Specialist" means the individual licensing specialist representing the Office of Child Care Licensing who is responsible for performing regulatory and enforcement activities in the licensure of child care facilities.
26. "Substitute Caregiver" means the person(s) designated by the Caregiver to provide direct care, education, protection, supervision and guidance of the child in the Caregiver's home when the Caregiver is not present.
27. "Toddler" means a child between the ages of twelve (12) and twenty-four (24) months.
28. "Variance" means the nontransferable written authorization issued by the Department to use alternative means which meet the intent of the specific licensing requirement(s) and is based on the need(s) or circumstance(s) of the Family Child Care Home.
Homepage Login Sign-Up Forum Toys & Products About Us Contact Daycare.com