Licensing Standards for DayCare Centers
PART IV SCHOOL-AGE CARE
- School-age Care may be provided by a Center licensed only to provide
School-age Care or as a component of a licensed Center.
- A Center licensed to provide only School-age Care shall be exempt
from the following requirements in Part I, GENERAL PROVISIONS:
- A. Requirements 130 -133 (Number of Toilets);
- B. Requirement 238 (Infant Food and Nutrition);
- C. Requirements 247, 249-256, 257 (Activities);
- D. Requirement 261 (Equipment).
- A Center providing School-age Care shall have staff qualified
to work with the age group served by the Center.
- A. In relation to requirements 83 and 85, credit hours in recreation, physical
education or elementary education shall be accepted as meeting the educational
credit hour requirements.
- B. Other qualifying experience and training appropriate to school-age children
shall be accepted as approved by the Department.
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT AND SAFETY
- When ten (10) or more school-age children are present, a Center
providing School-age Care as a component of a licensed Center shall care for
any children in the first grade and beyond in an area physically separated
from younger children.
OUTDOOR PLAY AREA
- A Center providing School-age Care shall provide a space for quiet
work or study.
- A Center providing School-age Care shall have plans approved by
the Department for a suitable and safe outdoor play area.
- A. A Center shall provide either safe open outdoor spaces for running and
games or supervised excursions to public and private playgrounds.
- B. The outdoor play area for school-age children shall be physically separated
or used at separate times from that provided for children younger than school-age.
- A Center providing School-age Care shall have one (l) toilet and
sink for every twenty-five (25) school-age children, based on licensed capacity.
- A. Urinals shall be counted as one-half of a toilet for the purposes of
this calculation provided that the population served includes a significent
number of males and that a minimum of two (2) flush toilets are available
and accessible to both males and females.
- B. Children shall be given privacy in toilet use unless assistance is required.
- A Center providing School-age Care shall document arrangements
with parents and the school regarding any transportation provided by the Center
to and from the Center, as appropriate.
- A Center providing School-age Care shall have a program of indoor
and outdoor activities suitable for the ages and developmental levels of children
- A. Children shall be given opportunities for play, sports appropriate to
age, relaxation and, whenever possible, outdoor activity immediately after
- B. A nutritious snack shall be provided to each child upon arrival at the
Center from school.
- C. Children shall have the opportunity to take responsibility consistent
with their ages for planning, carrying out and evaluating their own activities.
- D. Children shall be given opportunities to experience a diversity of activities
within the Center, the Center neighborhood, and the total community.