kids photograph
Homepage ForumListingsLogin Sign-Up Licensing

Being Prepared
Knowing Where To Find Help For Your Child

Parents are often concerned about their child's emotional health or behavior but they don't know where to start to get help. The mental health system can sometimes be complicated and difficult for parents to understand. A child's emotional distress often causes disruption to both the parent's and the child's world. Parents may have difficulty being objective. They may blame themselves or worry that others such as teachers or family members will blame them.

If you are worried about your child's emotions or behavior, you can start by talking to friends, family members, your spiritual counselor, your child's school counselor, or your child's pediatrician or family physician about your concerns. If you think your child needs help, you should get as much information as possible about where to find help for your child. Parents should be cautious about using Yellow Pages phone directories as their only source of information and referral. Other sources of information include:

  • Employee Assistance Program through your employer
  • Local medical society, local psychiatric society
  • Local mental health association
  • County mental health department
  • Local hospitals or medical centers with psychiatric services
  • Department of Psychiatry in nearby medical school
  • National Advocacy Organizations (NAMI, Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health, NMHA)
  • National professional organizations (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association)

The variety of mental health practitioners can be confusing. There are psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric social workers, psychiatric nurses, counselors, pastoral counselors and people who call themselves therapists. Few states regulate the practice of psychotherapy, so almost anyone can call herself or himself a psychotherapist.

Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist A child and adolescent psychiatrist is a licensed (M.D. or D.O.) physician who is a fully trained psychiatrist and who has two additional years of advanced training beyond general psychiatry with children, adolescents and families. Child and adolescent psychiatrists who pass the national examination administered by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology are board certified in child and adolescent psychiatry. Child and adolescent psychiatrists provide medical/psychiatric evaluation and a full range of treatment interventions for emotional and behavioral problems and psychiatric disorders. As physicians, child and adolescent psychiatrists can prescribe and monitor medications.

Psychiatrist A psychiatrist is a physician, a medical doctor, whose education includes a medical degree (M.D. or D.O.) and at least four additional years of study and training. Psychiatrists are licensed by the states as physicians. Psychiatrists who pass the national examination administered by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology are board certified in psychiatry. Psychiatrists provide medical/psychiatric evaluation and treatment for emotional and behavioral problems and psychiatric disorders. As physicians, psychiatrists can prescribe and monitor medications.

Psychologist Some psychologists possess a master's degree (M.S.) in psychology while others have a doctoral degree (Ph.D., Psy.D, or Ed.D) in clinical, educational, counseling or research psychology. Psychologists are licensed by most states. Psychologists can provide psychological evaluation and treatment for emotional and behavioral problems and disorders. Psychologists also provide psychological testing and assessments.

Social Worker Some social workers have a bachelor's degree (B.A., B.S.W., or B.S.), however most social workers have earned a master's degree (M.S. or M..S.W.). In most states social workers can take an examination to be licensed as clinical social workers. Social workers provide most forms of psychotherapy.

Parents should try to find a mental health professional who has advanced training and experience with children, adolescents, and families. Parents should always ask about the professionals training and experience. However, it is also very important to find a comfortable match between your child, your family, and the mental health professional. would like to thank American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry for this information in striving to make daycare and childcare a more productive and efficient service. You can contact them at: 3615 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016-3007 voice: 202-966-7300 fax: 202-966-2891.

Homepage ForumListingsLogin Sign-Up Licensing