PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Help in Home Daycare

gbcc
01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I recently went through registration where I did extra things to have more children. I have to have an assistant as part of this. Well, I hired an assistant and she has 2 children. I am paying her $8 an hour to compensate for her bringing her children. Problem is that her two children count towards my numbers and come summer I will be loosing money. Her one child is a baby but the other one will need to eat all throughout the day and he is quite the eater. I was thinking of deducting the cost of her son eating off her wkly rate. Is that fair? So, I will be paying her $320 per wk and loosing $250 in income. She is a friend and she did nothing wrong so I can't fire her and I can't reduce her rate. How should I go about this?

momofsix
01-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Are you on a food progam? That would pay for her son as well.
Is the $250 you're losing the tuition you could be getting for two kids if she weren't bringing hers?
If she us dependable and good with the kids, she might be worth the extra costs.

gbcc
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes, The $250 is what I am loosing on tuition cost. Then the $320 I am paying her makes me out $570 per week. Then there is the workers comp that is a $347policy per year and disability which is a $240 policy per year. I would make more working on my own. If she didn't have children I would be making out much better. Basically 3 children would pay for her so I would get paid for another 9 children. Does that make sence? I should have thought it out more but I figured since her boyfriend was off in the winter the kids would stay with him.

I am on the food program but her son eats way more than is covered! She is good with the children and we are comfortable working together. I trust her in my home and to go in my drawers which is very nice, but this is a business and I have to think of the cost.

originalkat
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I considered going into business with a friend. We both have kids and when figuring the costs...it just would not work out. We couldnt make enough and were better off going at it alone. I decided to open my business and she decided not to. If you make the same amount you would without her...but just not more, than it might be worth it considering you work so well together. But if you are making less, you are going to have to be honest with her and say you thought you figured the costs correctly, but it is not going to work out financially. You arent firing her. She didnt do anything wrong. But if you are friends hopefully you can come to a mutual understanding.
I would not charge her extra money for what her kid eats. But I would only serve what the food program says only offer seconds on fruit/veggie and bread and not the main meal.

momofsix
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Could you just explain to her that you thought bf would be keeping the kids, and explain how her kids taking up two spots is hurting you financially? Maybe she could pay for the oldest for the summer until school starts? You do have to do what's right for YOU and your business in the long run though.

momofboys
01-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Could you just explain to her that you thought bf would be keeping the kids, and explain how her kids taking up two spots is hurting you financially? Maybe she could pay for the oldest for the summer until school starts? You do have to do what's right for YOU and your business in the long run though.

I agree! Be honest with your friend; let her know you'd both be doing better if BF could keep the kids the majority of the time!

momma2girls
01-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe you can charge her 1/2 the rate for her two children.

Unregistered
01-11-2010, 05:51 AM
I'd explain to her that you thought her kids wouldnt be there very often and that it is not working financially for you to have her there unless she is willing to pay 1/2 rate for both kids..And i agree with only serving her son the recommended amount, if she continues to bring him and he is over eating then tell her she will need to pay extra for the costs or pack him extra food. Sounds like she is making out good, getting paid to work with free daycare while spending the day with her kids that are eating for free. This arrangement should benefit both of you.

gbcc
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok, another question.

I called the labor department to see about how to go about charging her legally. They informed me that I could not charge her for bringing her child to work. My tax advisor said it was all in the language used. I know centers do it all the time, how do they get away with it?

Also, someone else suggested having her apply for DSS to pay for her spot while she works. Ever heard of this?

Unregistered
01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
If she's really YOUR good friend then explaining to her how your losing money by her bringing her kids should be enough for her to figure out something for them being there and be fair, if she does nothing and expects you to take a loss then i'd let her go and tell her you cant afford to have her as an employee.

Unregistered
01-13-2010, 05:11 AM
When I worked for a center the state compensated them for my child being there. The center was responsible for the paper work and the claim. They worked through the local CCR&R and everything was handled without me even knowing about it. They had told me that it was part of my pay, that they were graciously paying me extra by picking up the tuition for my child while I cared for 10 preschoolers on my own. Found out later that the state actually picked up that tab. But I'm ranting.
There usually is some sort of program set up since childcare workers are typically compensated so poorly that women with children can't afford to have their own children in care at the same places they are working, and come out of it with gas money to get themselves back home. End rant.
If you take any state paid clients, it's the same program.

gbcc
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
If she's really YOUR good friend then explaining to her how your losing money by her bringing her kids should be enough for her to figure out something for them being there and be fair, if she does nothing and expects you to take a loss then i'd let her go and tell her you cant afford to have her as an employee.

Good point and I guess we are not good friends. I approached her today about applying for DSS to help pay for the cost that her children's spots took up. She said she did not want to because of the amount of paperwork. I told her that I did not know what I was going to do come summer because with her children that would only allow me to have 2 spots and I would be paying her $70 more than what I was making. She just said oh....

So I called the department of labor and they told me that I could not hire or fire someone based on their daycare needs. They said I could not charge her for daycare legally and I could not fire her due to her children taking up spots with no payment. What a freakin mess this has turned out to be.

GretasLittleFriends
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Maybe you need to be overly blunt (or brutally honest) with her. Tell her you/she can deal with the paperwork or she can find another job because you cannot afford to keep her hired on. Maybe she just didn't quite grasp fully what you were saying.

Of course, if you value your friendship with her, also explain that it's a very hard decision for you, that you appreciate her, however business is business and you can't afford to be in the negative $70 every (month or week).

I would definitely call and find out who needs to do the paperwork. Like the unregistered person's situation, you may be able to take care of it all without her worrying about the paperwork.

mac60
01-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Can't you simply tell her her services are no longer needed. Are you an "at will" state, meaning that an empoyer can let a person go with out any reason. Ohio is, they did it to my husband, after 40 years laid him off and kept employees with little seniority.

Honestly, I would make the right phone calls and stop this asap.

gbcc
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I always thought you needed a legitamate reason to fire someone. I am not sure about the at will thing, I will have to look this up. Thank you.

As for the question if it was mth/wk. It is $70 per wk. That does not include the taxes I have to pay on her, workmans comp, disability and the money I could be making with her children's spots. So honestly, probably $600 at least per month.

originalkat
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Just tell her you cant afford an assistant anymore. Period. You arent firing her. I am glad you are trying to cover all your bases but the labor board is not going to give you any answers in your favor it looks like. We are an "at will" state too. An employer can lay you off/fire you for no reason. Just tell your friend you cant keep her on anymore. Give her 2 weeks to find another job as a courtesy. I mean...she is your friend. Do you think she is going to try to turn you into the Labor Board or something?

gbcc
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Just tell her you cant afford an assistant anymore. Period. You arent firing her. I am glad you are trying to cover all your bases but the labor board is not going to give you any answers in your favor it looks like. We are an "at will" state too. An employer can lay you off/fire you for no reason. Just tell your friend you cant keep her on anymore. Give her 2 weeks to find another job as a courtesy. I mean...she is your friend. Do you think she is going to try to turn you into the Labor Board or something?

Well, unfortunately I have had friends turn me in for bogus things before. I was providing care for a friends child. They would tell me to shut up, throw things at my wall, go in my fridge without asking and the list goes on. I tried addressing it with her for 2 months before I terminated their care. She turned me in to my registrar saying I got rid of her kids because they were black. (She was white, father no in pic was black). So I don't have the best judge of so called "friends" and it makes me concerned.

originalkat
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't have many friends... LOL! I guess I am pretty choosy on who I let into my world. Sorry about this whole mess you are dealing with. I hope you will get it resolved soon.

Unregistered
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Talk to her again and tell her that you just cant afford to have an assistant and give her a written two weeks notice. If she turns you in then deal with it at that time but try not to worry about to much unless it happens. I RARELY do care for friends kids and if i do i follow my contract and policy to the T and they know it! As I said before if she's your friend she will move on, but with her little 'Oh' comment when you told her you were losing money with her kids there it doesnt look as if she's someone I'd want as a friend, at least not one that i could trust enough to share my business with. Good Luck
Kiddiecare