PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Parents Do This

mac60
03-26-2010, 04:58 AM
3 yr old comes in this morning, and dad says, Just so you know, he threw up 2 times last night. You might want to watch what you feed him. OMG, why did you NOT keep him home. Like I want this in my home.

The child is now laying on the floor in the front room away from everyone, and I will not let him up till it is time to go home. He better not get sick here, they will be coming to get him if he does. I refuse to let him get up and run around, and he will be eating toast today. It is going to be a very very long day for him, but not my fault.

momma2girls
03-26-2010, 05:08 AM
3 yr old comes in this morning, and dad says, Just so you know, he threw up 2 times last night. You might want to watch what you feed him. OMG, why did you NOT keep him home. Like I want this in my home.

The child is now laying on the floor in the front room away from everyone, and I will not let him up till it is time to go home. He better not get sick here, they will be coming to get him if he does. I refuse to let him get up and run around, and he will be eating toast today. It is going to be a very very long day for him, but not my fault.

Take it from me, I allowed this into my house once, and OMG!! THe Dad came that am, and said "He had a high fever last night, but I checked it this am, and he doesn't have anything(masked it with Tylenol, one hr. later he spiked another one) I had to call him from work, and he had just arrived!! He argued and argued with me on it, he was mad!!!!
Then that night, my daughter got a high one, and that next am, I had one, and went all thru my whole daycare!!! I was so mad!! From now on, if I had a parent say that to me at the door, they would not be allowed to stay at all!!! Then you get the parents that lie to you- well he hasn't vomited since yesterday, when he last left here- I hate those parents!!!!

boysx5
03-26-2010, 05:19 AM
oh I would tell him he has to be 24 hours free before you would let him come I know its hard to do but I have had it happen and then my whole house gets it

wejo928
03-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Ok Mom said her son (10 months)had a eye cold. Turns out he had pink eye. Her daughter (2 yrs) now has it to. She said she took him to dr but she bought over the counter pink eye drops. She took off today so she can actually take them to the dr for prescription drops. I told her I need the pharmacy receipt. it is 24 hrs on drops not contagous. SO if she does not go till 1 pm then no return to after pm tomorrow.
Now today me & my son (12 yrs)wake-up with it. I just hope the rest don't get it. That is all I need.
She has often sent her kids dosed with Tylonol or Motrin and then the other kids get sick bit that is ok w her. But the following week when the other kids come down with it and her kids gets sick she is peed off.
If I did not need the $ she would be gone. I get garenteed pay form the state but her copays are behnd by $275. I am going to call the state today. I am hopeing to have another family before I give her my 2 wk notice. So I will not miss out on any cash. They start the day after she leaves.

Crystal
03-26-2010, 06:39 AM
I would have sent him home. He's bound to get sick at your house, and likely to get everyone else sick, including you. Good luck!

Daycare Mommy
03-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Why did you let him stay? :eek: Don't you have an illness policy? I'd send him home now and bleach, bleach, bleach, open the house, wash everything. Good luck with this and I hope it doesn't spread.

originalkat
03-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I have had this happen too...numerous times with both fevers and throw-up. With the throw up case the mom said she thought it was something he ate. I let him stay even though I was MAD she brought him in the first place. He ended up being fine all day so I guess she was right.

With the fever case... the mom said she had a fever last night but has been fine this morning blablabla!!! and to call her if there was a problem. I called exactly 1 hour later. She had a fever of 101 and was out sick for several days after that. Sometimes I think parents would rather we call them at work so their boss knows they HAVE to leave to get their kid instead of calling into work first thing in the morning because bosses can be really
b#*%# about call ins about the kids being sick.

BUT IT IS SO IRRITATING!

safechner
03-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Mac60, I cannot believe he would do that to you. I would hate do that, too. If he still lays on the floor a long day then I would call his parent to pick him up.

Iowa Daycare, I can't believe he argued with you about that. I hate fathers/men who treat bad with women/mothers or providers. I had one parent always argue with me about 3 or 4 times about money issue while my husband wasn't here. He wouldn't argue with me if my husband is home. He knew my husband would stand up and speak him out how he treated me like that. One time, I was pretty surprised that his wife lets him yelled at me very bad so I had terminate them because I don't deserve to be treated.

mac60
03-26-2010, 07:26 AM
He has been laying in the front room since arrival at 7:30, he is sleeping. No fever. I am not allowing him to be around anyone and spraying lysol intermittently and keeping him right where he is. I do have a sick policy mostly covering vomit and diahreah (can't ever spell that).

The dad didn't argue with me, said what he had to say and left.....and I immediately thought that kid is not going to be around or touching anything.

Daycare Mommy
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Well I'll tell you why parents do this.

#1 Misplaced priorities on their part.
#2 They are allowed to get away with it.

This isn't fair to you, the other children, or that poor sick kid. He needs to be at home recovering. I'd set his dad straight at pickup time that this is never to happen again or he will be given notice then and there. Hand him a copy of your illness policy with the part he violated highlighted.

I've been in this exact situation before and I wouldn't still be in this business if I hadn't started actively enforcing my policies all the way down to turning kids like this away at the door. With parent's like this, if you don't enforce the policies you might as well not have them because they sure as heck aren't going to magically start following the rules one day if we don't do anything when they violate them.

Again good luck. I feel for you having to deal with this!

grandmom
03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Look up your state/county Puablic Health Department. Then call the parent and read it to them. I can't imagine ANY PHD allowing this. Then you don't appear to be the bad guy. I have one of their posters posted in my daycare area. When a parent calls or comes, I just read it to them. End of conversation. Never had anyone argue with me (PDH).

momma2girls
03-26-2010, 08:50 AM
He has been laying in the front room since arrival at 7:30, he is sleeping. No fever. I am not allowing him to be around anyone and spraying lysol intermittently and keeping him right where he is. I do have a sick policy mostly covering vomit and diahreah (can't ever spell that).

The dad didn't argue with me, said what he had to say and left.....and I immediately thought that kid is not going to be around or touching anything.

I would definately call the parents and say he is not himself, will not participate in anything we are doing, all he wants to do is sleep!! Good Luck!!! I hope everyone inc. you are not sick for the weekend coming up!!!