PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Friends and Business

AfterSchoolMom
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I've had several of my friends ask if I'm available to care for their children during the summer. I'm going to have two summer spots open, but I've been trying to keep my friends and my business separate. I haven't had any other outside interest as of yet.

I can't decide what to do. What would you all do? My major dilemma here is that if I DO decide to take on the children of friends, am I obligated to offer them a "friend" discount? Will they expect it and then get irritated if I don't? What if they are late, or miss a payment? What if I tell them no and then don't find any other kids?

laundryduchess@yahoo.com
03-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a strict no friends, no family policy but if you choose to my advice is to be even more stringent on the rules, do not give discounts, and make sure they know,..your friendship is more important than their money and you will term them if you feel its getting,.... sketchy.

nannyde
03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Don't do it.

newtoeverything
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
I would do it. You will find out who your true friends are if they don't cause any problems. If they don't want to pay the price, they won't use your daycare. If they choose you as a provider, and they don't pay you what you charge normally...then you know they aren't true friends....

momma2girls
03-29-2010, 09:43 AM
I have done daycare for friends and neighbors, etc. before. They have to abide by your rules like everyone else does.

safechner
03-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I would do it. You will find out who your true friends are if they don't cause any problems. If they don't want to pay the price, they won't use your daycare. If they choose you as a provider, and they don't pay you what you charge normally...then you know they aren't true friends....

I agree with her. My husband offered his good friend that I have an in home daycare and I started watch their 6 month old infant about 1 1/2 months ago. They are very respect my daycare policy. I have no problem since they are paying me on time in advance. They are true friends to my husband.

kitkat
03-29-2010, 11:05 AM
I have been providing care for a friend for over 3 years now and have had no problems. I stick to the contract and they have always paid on time. If you stick to your contract and don't think you'll have behavioral problems with the kids, then I think you'll be fine, especially since it's only for the summer.

gkids09
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Almost all the kids I have in my daycare are either friends' kids, or friends of friends. Honestly, I feel more comfortable telling a friend that they owe me than someone I've never been around. That's just my opinion...If I were you, I'd discuss the price with them and let them know that although they are your friends, this is your business and you have to be sure they follow your rules.

emosks
03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Of the 6+ families we currently care for 5 of them were friends first and we are now friends with the 6th family. I prefer to ONLY care for friends rather than strangers!!

Crystal
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
no friends, no faily, no neighbors. It's just good business sense, IMO. I wouldn't even do it if I needed the money.

Francine
03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I have taken friends kids in the past and some that were more friends of family members. The ones that were our true friends were wonderful, if anything they went above and beyond to make sure that they kept me happy. They followed the rules to a T, the friends of other family members were the ones that I had a problem with, they were the ones that thought they should get special treatment. I would say it depends on how strong your friendship is.

AfterSchoolMom
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I would say it depends on how strong your friendship is.

Well, one is a very good friend, but one is more of an "aquaintance", since I only see them about once or twice per month, and never one on one.

I really appreciate all of the input!

originalkat
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I have taken care of friends and family. In fact I currently take care of two different cousins kids.

Here is the bottom line...it works if you are straight forward and direct from the beginning. I give NO discount. This is my business and how I make a living and Im not handing out discount prices. All policies are gone over in advance, all contracts signed etc... My friends and family have been wonderful and I have never had problems with it.

pigletsmommy
03-31-2010, 10:52 AM
I started out by watching a friends children.

Personally, it has been a huge mistake. I never have any problems out of the parents I have never met before. They pay on time and are very respectful of my home and time.

My friend, however, is not. It is become a problem and now I'm worried I may have to cut them...and the friendship is lost.

In the future I will never mix business with friends/family.