PDA

View Full Version : How to start a DCP Network in My Town?

DBug
06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Does anyone have any experience on starting a dcp network from scratch?

I have had several inquiries from parents looking for daycare in the past 48 hours, and I'm full. Usually the next question parents have is, "Do you know of anyone else who does have space?". I would love to get some kind of network going so that I have names and numbers to refer these parents to.

Any advice on how to go about starting one?

Lianne
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I've started a couple. I had success by advertising it on Craigslist or Kijiji, hanging flyers up at grocery stores, etc and by word of mouth. We met once a week at a park in the nice weather or my house in bad/cold weather. We alternated bringing snack and in the winter months we did a simple craft. It was nice to visit with other women and good for the kids to play together. We also put together a phone list with all the providers names, numbers & addresses to hand out to prospective clients if we couldn't help them ourselves. If we had concerns about clients we could send everyone a heads up but ultimately, the choice to sign someone on was the provider's choice.

DBug
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Lianne -- I was thinking about Kijiji, but I wasn't sure. I'll give it try, now that you've suggested it :-)

I noticed that you're in Ontario -- where are you located? I'm just outside of Barrie ...

judytrickett
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Go to forumotion.com and start up a basic forum - any idiot can do it. It doesn't take any special skills.

Once you are done your FREE forum go on Kijiji and start answering daycare ads and tell providers about the forum.

Voila! Now you have a group of providers in town that are all chatting to eachother and being a resource for one another.

EVERY town/city should have an area providers forum.

Lianne
06-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks Lianne -- I was thinking about Kijiji, but I wasn't sure. I'll give it try, now that you've suggested it :-)

I noticed that you're in Ontario -- where are you located? I'm just outside of Barrie ...

I'm in Brantford, just west of Hamilton. Where abouts are you?

DBug
06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Lianne, I'm in Angus, a tiny town just west of Barrie. Not actually that far from you :)

And Judy, thanks for the great idea! I've made a simple website on Webs, with a forum section and a spot for links to local daycares. I got it advertised on Kijiji, and so far I've found 2 other providers that are very interested. Hopefully more will catch on!

Thanks for the ideas, Ladies!