PDA

View Full Version : DHS Question...

tenderhearts
06-11-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm sure all states are a little different how DHS works but I think this part may be pretty close. I have never taken DHS in all my 12 years of doing daycare. With the economy not so well I decided that if someone asked I would be willing to accept it. So I have an interview tonight with a client that is on DHS. I'm confused as to how the whole co-pay and that works, I mean I understand that they have a co-pay every month but how do other providers have the client pay for the copay and any other amounts that the state doesn't pay? I know some people spread it out over a the whole month or do you wait until the state pays then have them pay whatever the state doesn't pick up in one lump sum? Also how does it work when you charge weekly but the week ends like in the middle of the week? Sorry it seems so complicated, I'm sure once I get it I'll understand but I just hear so many horror stories. Plus they wont start until september and I would require a deposit but what if they can't afford it? any help advise would be great thanks

55CMK83
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
My families have a co-pay which is $10. That $10 is taken out of the check that they issue me. The parents pay the remainder of what DHS doesn't pay me and I also add the $10 co-pay. So say the parents owe me $168 from what the county didn't pay - I actually bill them for $178. HTH

Janet
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't start DHS families unless I get a letter from Dep. of Human Services telling me the how many hours they are approved for biweekly and what percentage will be paid for those hours. Once I have that, I figure out the amount that they will owe per week. I charge by a daily rate, so I just figure out what the dollar amount that DHS will pay is and subtract it from the amount that I charge. They are responsible for the difference. They can pay weekly or biweekly, just as long as they pay in advance. That way I'm not pulling my hair out trying to figure out an hourly rate, and my rate stays the same for DHS and non-DHS families.

QualiTcare
06-11-2010, 02:04 PM
a daycare i worked at in the past would waive the registration fees and stuff for families who got assistance. they probably can't afford that - or a deposit.

tenderhearts
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks, that was what I was thinking was figuring out what my rate would be for the whole month then figure out what the state will pay then have them pay each week. I was going to waive the enrollment fee but I'm uneasy about holding the spot from now until September without a deposit but that' what I'm worried about that they wont be able to pay one. So here in my state you have to keep track of how many hours they are in care and put that on the DHS sheet, is that how it is every where else too? thanks ladies.

55CMK83
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
DHS sends me a sheet for each child who I care for that qualifies for assistance. On there it shows the amount of hours they get. Both families I have are qualified for 70 hours. DHS pays 80% for both families and the families are responsible for the other 20% plus the co-pay.

The DHS has tiers the families fall into - working parents / parents going to school, ect. and that determines how much DHS will pay.