PDA

View Full Version : No Outdoor Time at All? Really?

Adaryn
01-17-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm frustrated, concerned, and a little overwhelmed right now. A few things came to my attention recently in regards to my daughter's daycare provider, and I'm not sure at this point what is overreaction on my part, and what is valid.

The issue on the table - no outdoor time - came to my attention accidentally. I was notified that my daughter, who is four and a half years old, was being 'disruptive' during naptime. I had noticed she was requiring less and less sleep at home, and figured she was just growing up and growing out of naptime. I asked her daycare if they could provide her with some books to read while laying on her mat, and they said no. They require her to lay down on her mat and sleep, and when she did not do so - and consequently began disrupting the other kids because she was bored out of her skull - they opted to put her in the corner and punish her for not sleeping.

As I considered why she was so restless lately, I wondered if maybe we should start stepping up her physical activity during the day. If she's not getting her energy out, I reasoned, then of course she wouldn't be able to sleep. So I inquired about how much time they spend outside, and was informed they do not take the kids outside -at all- in the winter. I do not know for certain when the last time was they took the kids out.

I was really quite upset about this - felt like a little bit of a failure as a mom for not having informed myself about this prior to now - and checked their policy about outdoor time. It says, in essence, they take the kids out "weather permitting." When I signed the contract for my daughter's daycare, I presumed this meant to the provider the same thing it meant for most grown-ups: if the child is appropriately dressed, they will be taken outside for at least SOME period of time every day, unless the conditions are so harsh as to be dangerous. I will note that we live on the Idaho/Washington border - the daycare is in Idaho, we live in Washington.

The combination of the lack of outdoor time and the issue surrounding naptime gave me what I felt was cause to seek out a new provider. I am not happy about having to disrupt my daughter's routine, but I don't feel her health and development are truly being safeguarded. I advised the current provider that I would not be returning my daughter to them, and I was direct - though as kind as I could be - about the reasons why.

There were no apologies on their part, no excuses, and in fact no attempt whatsoever to try to resolve the issues. Their only concern was in telling me to make sure I pay for the last two weeks that I signed a contract stating I would pay. I balked at this, and advised them that I did not feel they were holding up to their end of the contract, since they are not giving my daughter any time out-of-doors at all. They responded that the contract does not say they will take her outside every day. Which, I suppose, is true - it does not say that. It says 'weather permitting.'

I don't feel I'm being unreasonable in saying I should not have to pay for these last two weeks. I am not sending my daughter back somewhere that is not healthy for her to be, and I still have to provide childcare for these next two weeks. I cannot afford to pay both the new provider and the old. While it is my choice to move my daughter, it was not my preference; when I signed that contract, I was led to believe 'weather permitting' meant that they would allow her outside unless the conditions were dangerous. I do not feel thirty degrees, if bundled properly, is at all dangerous, and I doubt anyone else would either.

I have no idea what to do. Idaho does not, so far as I've found, have a law that states the kids have to be taken outside (although Washington, thankfully, does.) Am I being unreasonable? What should I do?

AfterSchoolMom
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I have three questions regarding your situation. One, does your child attend a home daycare, two, does your current provider have infants in her care currently, and three, how many children in total does she care for? I ask these only because if she provides care out of her home and has even one infant, or if she has a large group with no one to help with bundling up a large group and/or caring for the very young ones while the rest are outside, those are both (in my opinion) very good reasons not to take them outside in 30 degree (which is below freezing) weather. HOWEVER, if there isn't ample space or opportunity for appropriate movement and exercise during the day while they're inside, then you've probably made a good decision in taking your daughter out. I also completely disagree with the idea of forcing children to sleep, especially preschoolers, and that would have been ample reason for removing her if it were my child.

With that said, if your contract states that you must provide 2 weeks' notice and pay for that time, and if you did not clarify any issues or questions with your provider before signing the contract.... I'd say that you're contractually obligated to pay, and that if it came to a court situation, the court would probably rule in favor of the provider.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, and maybe some of the more experienced here will correct me, but that's just my 2 cents. Sorry that you have to go through this! I hope you're able to find another fantastic provider for your daughter.

lvt77
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I feel sad for both you and your daughter and am sorry that your family is not having a good experience. I am in CA and there in no law that states that the children must have x amount of outdoor play time. It is up to the provider. Sounds like it must be the same policy there as well. I would call and check with your state licensing, as I know that some states do require a certain amount of play time for every child regardless of age. I believe that your state will also have a website that you can go to for the information. Perhaps google Idaho state daycare licensing.
I would not beat yourself up about not doing your part; I would have assumed the same thing too. But the unfortunate part is that if you signed a contract agreeing to her policy, then it looks like you will have to abide by it.
It's sad, but unfortunately true.

Adaryn
01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Those are great questions, AfterSchoolMom, and I completely see where you're going with them.

The daycare is not an in-home provider. They do have a few little ones, but they have specific adults in charge of each age-group, so there are grown-ups in charge of the wee ones, and a different adult in charge of my daughter's age-group.

I wish I'd thought to ask some of these questions as well. Thankfully, although the new daycare is substantially more expensive, they seem a fantastic fit. Thank you for your thoughts, and your well-wishes!

jen
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Hmmm...I am a home daycare provider, I have 2 infants, 1 toddler, and 4 preschoolers...it was 23 degrees today and I took them all oustide. I got them bundled and unbundled without an assistant.

Personally, I don't think having an infant in care or the number of children in care, should effect if kids go outside. Kids need fresh air and exercise! Here in Minnesota, I guess we grow them a bit sturdier, but they are expected to be outside for 20 minutes per day.

And here's the but, I still think you are on the hook for the 2 weeks. Sorry, I know I would feel frustrated too. Be sure to ask your next provider what "weather permitting" means to them!

Daycare_Mama
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
I agree with Jen, but I'm in MN too and we go out in very cold weather even if it's just for a little bit! Having younger kids in care shouldn't affect bringing them outside...babies can be bundled up just as older kids!

If the state doesn't have any laws on outside time each day, then the provider is probably able to make up her own rules about "weather permitting" So, even though it sucks, technically you should have clarified just what that means to them. Unfortunately, it appears, to this daycare, that weather permitting means spring, summer, fall! :rolleyes:

You could try to fight the weather permitting, but I have no idea how well you could argue that and if it would hold up in court. You signed a contract, so you'll likely have to pay for those 2 weeks regardless if whether or not you choose to still bring your daughter.

I agree with you though, I think its ridiculous that they won't let her lay down and read during nap time. That would have been reason enough to terminate, outside of the weather issue. For me naptime is for napping and quiet time and if I had a child that no longer napped, they would be required to keep themselves busy with quiet activities (books, puzzles, etc.).

I think you made a good decision in pulling your daughter and hope the next provider is much better for you!

QualiTcare
01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
i think it's worth calling licensing to check. many times they ARE supposed to go outside if it's above freezing (period) even if it's one degree above freezing. unfortunately, providers don't always follow through and use their own judgement as to what "freezing" means aka if they think it's too cold, they don't go out even though they're supposed to. i've seen it a million times.

IF this is the case and they were not going outside when they should have been and then punishing your daughter for not napping (which in itself is wrong) then she may have breached the contract. she may not have - i can't say for sure, but like i said - it is worth calling licensing to ask.

Abigail
01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I agree to QualiTcare. You should call licensing. Write down your concerns because they will "investigate" the place. I would still pay (hope you can stretch two extra weeks in) and perhaps if licensing finds something in the least about the situation, you might be able to bring them to court to get your two weeks worth or even more because of ... ... ...(whatever your licensure feeds off of or whatever the center isn't doing correctly).

Meaning, proper care and steps have not been taken to care for your daughter to the best of their abilities. Find what this place's "philosophy" is and twist it up a little bit because honestly, a girl who is almost 5 should be able to sit quietly and entertain herself for an hour during nap time. Even if she needs to lay down for 30 minutes before starting the books/puzzles. Besides, if this place is according to age, they should have enough staff to have alternate activities available--even if they're not the more expensive place you currently enrolled your child in.

Lastly, licensing might not realize they've not taken the kids outside for even a walk in a long time. This sends out red flags. Licensing will ask about what indoor space they provide for cold/hot weather days that prevent them from going outside and what type of activities they do. If this center isn't doing their job right, then they will not have a good response, thus helping you get your money back for them not providing the best care possible...(or whatever they say in writing in their philosophy, etc.)

cillybean83
01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
I havent taken my kids out in weeks and I hate it! I can't imagine a provider not WANTING to get them outside to play!

I have a 15 month old and a 13 month old and when they are both *healthy* (they've been passing a cold back and forth for a month) and when it isn't pouring rain (you would think we live in Seattle with the way it's been raining for days!) these two lil goobers LOVE to toddle around in the yard!

nikia
01-18-2011, 06:35 AM
In this circumstance I cannot understand them not taking the kids outside, its a center, they have someone to stay with the little ones. I also have not taken my kids outside for awhile only because of one reason, ALL of the kids do NOT have proper winter clothes. The parents have been asked, told, called at work and nothing works so we cant go outside and its horrible.

As for the two weeks, I think that you owe them to her plain and simple. You signed a contract and need to follow it.

Crystal
01-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Nikia...if I were you I'd ask the parents at drop off if they have the clothing/shoes they need to play outside for the day. If they say no, I'd say that the child cannot stay without it, the other children should not have to stay inside because the one child doesn't have proper attire. Send them home WITH the child to get what they need before returning. Do it with every one of them....I bet they don't forget again. :ouch:

KEG123
01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
I just moved into my house over the summer. As soon as we moved her I began the licensing procedures. THEN I come to find out the neighbor on one side of me is also a licensed provider....she has ALL these toys outside, but never in the 6 months I've lived here have I ever seen kids outside playing. Only at pickup/dropoff and when the kids get on the bus to go to kinder. WEIRD to me. I also mentioned it to my licensing rep when she came over and mentioned the neighbor. She looked surprised, but I didn't want to be a "tattle tale" so I said... "Well, maybe I just never see them??" but at least it gave her a heads up.

Blackcat31
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Nikia...if I were you I'd ask the parents at drop off if they have the clothing/shoes they need to play outside for the day. If they say no, I'd say that the child cannot stay without it, the other children should not have to stay inside because the one child doesn't have proper attire. Send them home WITH the child to get what they need before returning. Do it with every one of them....I bet they don't forget again. :ouch:

Good advice Crystal.....works like a charm too! ;)

nannyde
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
This is a lot of issues at once.

About the money: Yes you should pay them their notice time. There were work around options that you could have done during the two week notice to meet her needs and satisfy their notice time. It was only two weeks. You could have gotten her up nice and early in the morning and bundled her up and go outside for a really good long walk. You possibly could have come on your lunch break and picked her up to get her outside. You could have kept her up later at night and then gotten her up earlier so that she would have had a higher liklihood of being tired during their nap time.

The discipline during nap could have been worked out with a conference regarding their policies during naptime and what she needed to do to comply. If it didn't work for you you could have arranged her to be picked up early and either done for the day or returned after nap time.

It's time like these when you have to really think outside of the box and make it work. Taking some half vacation days or enlisting the help of your support people could have really helped thru the transition.

They most likely have regulations that you can't find online such as their insurance regulations with their carrier. They may have agreements on weather conditions and when they do outside activities that don't have anything to do with the minimum standards of the State.

They also most likely have a huge issue with kids coming properly dressed in full winter gear that is in good working order. By this time of year... sadly... much of the outerwear the children wear has failing zippers and failing velcro and often doesn't fit as it did in September when it was purchased. Having enough winter gear in stock to use to make up for the failings of the parents or the failing of the gear is a pretty hard obstacle in center care.

It's also pretty difficult to get staff to agree to doing the HARD work of putting kids in weather appropriate full winter gear and undressing and sorting the clothing upon return into the room. I KNOW this cuz I pay for a staff assistant to dress eight kids and it is one of the most expensive activities in my child care during the winter months. Their staff may also not own proper winter gear for themselves.

It's also difficult to train and monitor staff who are dressing each kid and making sure that EVERY thing on the kid is cold weather appropriate. If you looked around the room you would most likely see kids in nylon sweats, thin pants, thin socks, short sleeved shirts, etc. Having the proper winter LAYERS to have them out for ANY length of time is the ultimate responsibility of the Center. It can take a TON of dedicated staff time to assess and procure the clothing the kids need to make them safe for more than a few minutes.

Then when they are outside they have to make sure it's WORKING in keeping hands, fingers, ears, etc WARM and untouched by the cold.

Leaving the mulititude of these tasks to low paid workers often results in it's better for the Center if they just stay indoors. This is most likely why they didn't try to work this out with you at all. It's cheaper and safer for them to just loose one client than to manage it.

I know it would seem that this isn't so difficult but you really have to BE the one responsible for a GROUP of little kids in cold weather... BE the one who dresses them... supervises them... and TRY to get the parents to bring proper clothing that is in GOOD working condition... to really understand why the Centers just surrender and keep them in.

Switching Centers and going to a more expensive situation is DEFINITELY going to help with insuring outdoor time in cold winter weather. Money makes ALL the difference. Fortunately for you, you can afford the higher rate to get the BEST for your child.

I was a school nurse in the early nineties in Iowa and the weather rules were: If it aint rainin the kids go out. Times have changed. My son now goes to the Des Moines Purblic Schools and they do not have the kids go out unless it's over 30 degrees during recess with NO wind chill. Most days they are inside during the winter. My son will go outside after school nearly every day when he wasn't allowed to go out at school. I believe the school district has just surrendered too knowing they really can't manage the clothing issues to keep kids safe.

DBug
01-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Parents not dressing their kids for the weather -- that drives me a little bit crazy :mad:! Where I come from, failing to provide weather-appropriate clothing for your child is neglect and therefore, child abuse.

How do parents get away with that? Yes, parents forget every once in awhile, but it should in no way be a regular thing!

JenNJ
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
My contract also states that I take the kids outside "weather permitting" and if they are sent with "weather appropriate clothing." So far, not one of my daycare kids has been sent with gloves this winter. There are a lot of reasons why they may not take the kids outside each day. I'm sorry you were under the impression they did. I do feel you are still responsible for your last 2 weeks paid per the contract you read and signed.

jen
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Every September I send out my first email...Winter is approaching, please bring the following to keep at daycare:

Snowpants
Hats
gloves
boots
extra socks
extra pants

Once Upon a Child has a great selection of inexpensive used items that are perfect for daycare!

Thanks

Repeat on October 1 and November 1. I have never really had anyone forget beyond that. I do keep extra stuff around tho in case someone stuff is wet or they got picked up while we were outside and their stuff went home and didn't come back the next day.

If a child doesn't have snowpants, and I don't have a pair in thier size, I have them stand on the patio (cement) much like they do at school where they have to stay on the blacktop. Older kids WILL remember to tell Mom and Dad to bring thier stuff the next day.

nannyde
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Parents not dressing their kids for the weather -- that drives me a little bit crazy :mad:! Where I come from, failing to provide weather-appropriate clothing for your child is neglect and therefore, child abuse.

How do parents get away with that? Yes, parents forget every once in awhile, but it should in no way be a regular thing!

My friend owns two large centers and she says that the number of parents who don't want their kid outside during the winter is pretty high. They don't want to deal with the clothes and many believe cold will bring colds.

She spends a lot of time in the winter dealing with requests to keep kids inside. The staffing becomes a problem with this to keep the areas covered. She's actually had families leave over her outdoor policy but NOT because they didn't go out but because they DID and had to bring daily fitted, working, head to toe winter gear.

It goes both ways.

melskids
01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
My friend owns two large centers and she says that the number of parents who don't want their kid outside during the winter is pretty high. They don't want to deal with the clothes and many believe cold will bring colds.

She spends a lot of time in the winter dealing with requests to keep kids inside. The staffing becomes a problem with this to keep the areas covered. She's actually had families leave over her outdoor policy but NOT because they didn't go out but because they DID and had to bring daily fitted, working, head to toe winter gear.

It goes both ways.

i have a few parents too, who gripe about wet/muddy/stained/painted on/messy/dirty clothes too. its like "sheesh, what do you want me to do? plop them in front of a TV all day?":mad:

Blackcat31
01-19-2011, 09:48 AM

I have actually called CPS on a parent who continually brought her 2.5 yr old without shoes or a jacket in freezing temps because in her words, "the car is warm and we are only going from the car to inside so she doesn't really need one..." ?????? Anyways, my licensor said it is poor parenting but not a reportable offense that could be classified under abuse or neglect because the parent isn't keeping her child outdoors. Go figure!!!!

SilverSabre25
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I have actually called CPS on a parent who continually brought her 2.5 yr old without shoes or a jacket in freezing temps because in her words, "the car is warm and we are only going from the car to inside so she doesn't really need one..." ?????? Anyways, my licensor said it is poor parenting but not a reportable offense that could be classified under abuse or neglect because the parent isn't keeping her child outdoors. Go figure!!!!

Now, I actually do not LET my child wear a coat while in the car, and then she has a choice to wear it or carry it from the car to wherever we're going, but we always bring it with us. Shoes are a requirement though.

Abigail
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I just moved into my house over the summer. As soon as we moved her I began the licensing procedures. THEN I come to find out the neighbor on one side of me is also a licensed provider....she has ALL these toys outside, but never in the 6 months I've lived here have I ever seen kids outside playing. Only at pickup/dropoff and when the kids get on the bus to go to kinder. WEIRD to me. I also mentioned it to my licensing rep when she came over and mentioned the neighbor. She looked surprised, but I didn't want to be a "tattle tale" so I said... "Well, maybe I just never see them??" but at least it gave her a heads up.

I'm so afraid of living next door to another licensed provider because in my area whoever is licensed last has a limited number of children which would affect my income greatly. Did you hear anything about your limit on enrollment because so-many kids were already at a nearby daycare? This worries me because we have not purchased our house and I wonder if I should be calling our licensing agency to see if their are any within a few blocks of where I want to live.

I agree with you DBug. If they don't provide winter clothing, do they just expect to go straight home EVERY day to and from daycare? What happens if your car breaks down?! I bet that could be considered child neglect depending on the weather conditions, how often the improper clothing occurs, and if the parent is dressed for the weather. If mom wears a jacket, why is it so hard to give her child the same weather barrier as her? How terrible and yes I would report it no matter what mild-offense it would be considered.

Unregistered
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Two things. The first is that at 4 1/2 not all children require a nap. However, in NY we are required to have the child "rest". I ask all children to lay down and after 30 minutes of "quiet" time, they can read on their nap cots or come sit with us and do quiet activities like coloring or puzzles. It is a good time to provide one on one time with older children many times. They should not be punishing her for not sleeping but it's probably more the disruption...which is not really her fault because they're not providing her with an alternate activity.

The second is that Yes, to some extent you are being unreasonable about going outside. In NY we can not take a child out if it is 32 degrees or less but frequently if it's under 42 degrees I will not take children outside. During winter months, not all children come appropriately dressed. That poses two problems, the first is that we need to maintain appropriate ratios so I can't for instance take two children outside and leave 6 inside that didn't come dressed correctly. Additionally, it's unfair to the children that would like to go outside and can't. I know it's also unfair to keep children inside because others aren't dressed correctly but it's not something they're aware of so we don't upset anyone or leave them crying. Also, during winter months, many children have asthma acting up more as well as awful colds. If you've decided to pull your daughter out because of these reasons, it is hardly a "health or safety" emergency. It's up to you to pull her out, and I might do the same, but she certainly won't be in danger if you left her there for 2 more weeks while you keep your end of the contract up.

Jewels
01-27-2011, 04:08 AM
Wow, I think its rediculous..........again I don't think it should matter if their is an infant in care or not, I would still take an infant outside. I have up to nine kids sometimes that I dress and bundle all on my own, now this is my most cahllenging part of the day sometimes, and definately not the most fun, but I love the kids getting outside and playing in the snow, and I find getting ready to go outside in the summer just as hard sometimes, getting them all in their swimsuits, getting sunscreen all over them all, and then bug spray, that can take just as long, I do only take them out if its above 20 degrees, and I live in MN, I follow some chart online, BUT it is above 20 degrees most of the time, only like 2 weeks total this year has it been to cold to go out.

And naps, Yes it is great for them all to lay and be quiet, but 4 yr old do start sleeping less, I have 3, 4 year old, My son I still try to make sleep, because he still needs it, and does not do well without a nap, but sometimes he just plays in his room, I have another four yr old that rarely naps, and she has the basement, I just tell her I don't want to here her, and I'd like her to try to keep to the couch, and the coffee table I pull up to it, and I put a whole container of coloring books, crayons, paper, and puzzles on the table for her.........and another 4 yr old, that arrives in the middle of naptime, that stays in the playroom, with TV(she is my most disruptive 4 yr old, she will not be quiet, but I don't punish her, shes actually the only one allowed to watch TV, because it keeps her quiet, she is also a 4 yr old that would fall asleep in minutes if I lied her down, but her mother says absolutly no naps......I think they should definatly be allowed to have something to do.

Symphony
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
It is interesting to see how the different areas have different standards for what is safe outdoor weather. If we didn't go out if it was below freezing here, we wouldn't have been out since the beginning of October! Here the rule for daycares and the school district is if it above 0 F.

My issue with infants isn't necessarily temperature, but we have really high winds, 50-60 mph sometimes and it makes it hard for them to breathe.

I don't let my kids wear their coats in the car either. Not safe. But we always have it with us. Drives me INSANE when parents show up sans coats because "He didn't want to wear one today and I didn't feel like fighting" GRRRRR :rolleyes:

I do think you owe the two weeks, even though I agree that they were not providing quality care. This is a center? Did you have a talk with the director?

momofboys
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I think it is important to play outdoors, weather permitting. That being said the public school where my kids attend they do not go out for the majority of the winter & the center where my kids went to preschool had a policy that it had to be above freezing to go outside (public school has the same policy). My boys play indoors in the gymnasium. Honestly I think it is good common sense. I think as long as you use good judgment it is fine but if you take them outside just b/c regulations say you should that seems ridiculous to me. Even in appropriate clothing is it really "fun" to be outdoors when it is 10-20 degrees outside?? I know the family I have would be upset if I took their son outside when it was that cold.

Unregistered
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I work in a large daycare and because of state regulations children cannot go outside if it is below freezing. This has been a particularly brutal winter and we don't have 3 days go by without snow storms or sleet. And although parents were notified to always send in proper winter apparel, there is always one or two that don't. Add in the few kids with asthmatic conditions and that pretty much means most of the past month has been spent indoors. But that doesn't mean the children don't exercise. Just like the public schools (they never go out in the winter), we have lots of very active play periods such as "Stretch and Grow" and dance parties. The kids enjoy the dance parties so much, that they prefer them over going outside.

And we have not run into one parent that has complained that the children should be outside in this freezing weather. Everyone that brought up the subject has been very glad that we've stayed inside.

WImom
01-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I'd say check with licensing rules from a licensor. Here in WI. Children who don't nap only need to rest for 30 minutes and then they can get up and do quiet activities. For outside we must take them outside unless below a certain windchill).

Sorry your having a bad experience.

DBug
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Even in appropriate clothing is it really "fun" to be outdoors when it is 10-20 degrees outside?? I know the family I have would be upset if I took their son outside when it was that cold.

I guess it's all relative :). I had to drag my littles in this morning -- it was about 3 F. I could feel the chill in the air, but they were having so much fun they didn't want to come in. They did eventually, with tantrums all around.

The reason why I brought them in was that I was the one that didn't have weather-appropriate clothes on -- I should have had my snowpants on :lol:!

momofboys
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
I guess it's all relative :). I had to drag my littles in this morning -- it was about 3 F. I could feel the chill in the air, but they were having so much fun they didn't want to come in. They did eventually, with tantrums all around.

The reason why I brought them in was that I was the one that didn't have weather-appropriate clothes on -- I should have had my snowpants on :lol:!

I guess I would be concerned about the safety of it all. Today where I am it was below 0 this morning & the windchill was negative something! To me it would just seem to be more common sense that it is not safe to play outdoors when it is that cold. Now when it is 10-20-30 degrees I guess it is "okay" even though it still is cold. Not saying anyone who does it has poor judgment I just can't imagine taking kids outside when it is almost 0 outside.

DCMomOf3
02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I guess I would be concerned about the safety of it all. Today where I am it was below 0 this morning & the windchill was negative something! To me it would just seem to be more common sense that it is not safe to play outdoors when it is that cold. Now when it is 10-20-30 degrees I guess it is "okay" even though it still is cold. Not saying anyone who does it has poor judgment I just can't imagine taking kids outside when it is almost 0 outside.

If it's above 10F (I include wind chill here) we have to go outside. And really, if you are in snow pants/coat/boots/hat/mittens with the optional scarf you are plenty protected.

cillybean83
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
we stay inside if it's below 40 degrees, but I only keep littles, 6wks-2...so there is no acceptable reason for taking tiny people out into the cold to toddle around when they can toddle around just fine in the playroom. If I had older kids that would be different, my son goes outside no matter what, rain, snow, sleet, you can't keep that boy inside, he's 8

Unregistered
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I have owned my own daycare center for 12 years. It is a licensed child care center, not an in home center.

One of my most important factors when staffing for the day is making sure if I have atleast 2 students here in one age group, then I have 2 adults also here for that age group. Having one child recovering from a cold is enough reason to keep them inside, but not all the children should stay inside, hence one teacher for inside and one for outside. In my personal opinion that should be standard for all daycare centers. Not all children take their nap at 3:00 in the afternoon, so one teacher with children who are taking a nap and one teacher with children not taking a nap that day. It makes much more sense to me. No matter how many children are on the premisis that day, there should be atleast 2 adults present, even if your daughter is the only child there, so why wern't capable children taken outside and others supervised inside?

The major problem I run into in the winter (Cleveland, OH area) is parents are often neglectful when it comes to providing a change of clothing, and children will come inside wet from playing in snow. I have had a few parents question why their child missed out on the snow angels and snow men, and I simply have to explain that their child did not have adequate clothing provided for the activities that day. I wil not ever send a child out to play in the snow so they can have damp clothes for the day, nor is it my job to provide clothes. If your child is not properly prepared, they miss out, and that is not something that I can change.

It seems to me that there must have been some logical reason that the children at your daughter's daycare did not go outside that maybe was not related to your daughter (you seem very prepared and on top of things), and that the provider did not have adequate staffing to provide two options for activities for her age group. That to me is reason to find another care provider, since you never know what the ratio of children to staff will be. Now you just know ahead of time to ask this question when looking for other locations!