PDA

View Full Version : Baby’s First Day At Daycare - What To Expect?

Unregistered
05-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello ladies. I've lurked around here for a few months now, mostly to get an idea how daycare goes a this is my first. My question is... My 6 month old is starting daycare tomorrow and the unexpectex is string me out. I'm worried about him. I know my daycare lady is so sweet and hell be in god hands... But I can't help but think the worst. I picture him screaming all day.
Can you guys tell me your experiences with little ones the same age on their first few days... Lube to ease my mind or st least prepare me.. Thankyou ladies!

Cat Herder
05-16-2011, 06:12 AM
At 6 months his transition should not be too terrible. Especially if you have done the hard work to prepare him in advance.

If he does have a hard time today you may want to look at quickly doing some back work like:

Limiting screen time and confinement time.

TV is limited to two hours per day in most places, some don't allow it at all. Babies cannot be in swings, chairs, bouncers, etc for more than 20 minutes at a time since it is bad for their physical development. DS should be comfortable playing independently on the floor.

Making sure he is established on a bottle and start weening from a pacifier if he uses one.

If he is breastfed exclusively at home he will have a very difficult transition. You can help this by allowing other members of your family to bottle feed him as often as possible. Pacifiers can make him a target for other walking/crawling babies, NOT a good thing ;). Pacifiers will also be a fast lane for infectious diseases into your DS while in group care.

Make sure he has been held, cared for, with you out of sight, by as many people as possible.

Daycares have a notoriously high turnover rate with the average child having about 15 different providers by age 3. If you are in a small family daycare, this statistic goes down a bit, but not completely, since you will still need a backup provider for emergencies, vacations and holidays.

Be sure you have read and understand all policies of your provider.

The vast majority of daycare service terminations are based on "Parental Issues". Parents often are so relieved to have finally found somewhere that they skim over and sign the contracts without fully understanding them.

Good luck and I hope your little guy has a wonderful transition!!:Sunny: