PDA

View Full Version : Where Did You Find Your Assistant?

newtodaycare22
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
As much as I don't want to take the major cut in my salary, I'm thinking about hiring an assistant. In the next few years, I plan on having a kid of my own and I know I'll want one then. (I have all preschoolers and I want to still teach them and be able to give my own kid the attention they need too). I want to be really comfortable with the person, so I figure I may start looking for someone now. I figure what if I get pregnant and then can't find someone?:eek:

Did you find yours on craigslist? Newspaper ad? A person you already knew?

Thanks!:D

bunnyslippers
01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
My first assistant was my best friend, and it was the best year I ever had! I needed to expand my license for 10 children, and she worked as my assistant. This year, I haven't needed an assistant. I need to hire someone in 6 weeks for the rest of the school year, because my enrollment is increasing. I have advertised on Craig's List and have had a few responses (people got back to me within an hour of posting). I am leary, though, because this is my home and I am not so sure about bringing in a stranger to my home environment.

Blackcat31
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I have used assistants before and I got them all from the local college. I posted an ad in the Early Childhood department and had many replies. I have also used people that were recommended to me from people i know and trust.

newtodaycare22
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I am leary, though, because this is my home and I am not so sure about bringing in a stranger to my home environment.

My thoughts as well. This is why I'm thinking it may be worth searching for this person before we start trying for a kid and really NEED someone.

Blackcat31
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I am leary, though, because this is my home and I am not so sure about bringing in a stranger to my home environment.

My thoughts as well. This is why I'm thinking it may be worth searching for this person before we start trying for a kid and really NEED someone.

Our licensing rules and regulations say anyone working in the daycare must be registered with the licensing office and have a background check done BEFORE being allowed to be around any of the kids.

newtodaycare22
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Our licensing rules say the background thing too...but there are plenty of crazy people with clean backgrounds:rolleyes:

Sugar Magnolia
01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Mine is an ex-client. Her daughter graduated from here. She is the best thing since sliced bread! LOVE her! Oh, and my husband is full-time staff. He came with the place! LOL!

wdmmom
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I posted an ad in the "General" jobs section.

I strictly request contact via email first. Then I weed out the candidates.

I was able to hire someone right out of high school...18 years old...lives 5 minutes away...has minimal experience (which I see as a plus)...with no children.

:)

DCMom
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I used craigslist for my first assistant. Let's say the people who responded were interesting :rolleyes: It took awhile to have an applicant that I would even consider. I did settle on one who seemed to be a good fit ~ she didn't last six months. In her resignation letter, she said that the amount of work involved wasn't worth $10/hour.

My next assistant had been my once-a-week music teacher. After her divorce, she needed a more consistent income than she was making AND a place for her daughter while she finished her degree in Music Education. She left when she got a full time job. I still miss her :)

My dd is my assistant now. She is going to school for ECE and working for me part-time, three days a week.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do as Blackcat suggested ~ start at the community colleges. They are much more flexible in their scheduling for working adults and in my dd's case, she gets 'on the job training'. It will look good on a resume someday.

If you can afford it, it is money well spent in my opinion. I have an assistant 3 days a week; that's when I do most of my targeted preschool activities. when I have another pair of hands for the infants and toddlers :)

Nan's blog entries on finding an assistant could be very helpful to you also.