PDA

View Full Version : EIN # Over The Phone?

Lisa4kids
01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I know that it is the clients responsibility to furnish me with a W-10 to claim for their taxes. As a courtesy, I give them completed to clients at the end of the year. This year, I have a family that owes me money from last year. They just left on bad terms. I just read a blog by Tom Copeland saying I dont have to give them the W-10 if they owe money, only if they furnish me with the w-10. I'm wondering, if their tax preparer calls me to ask for the EIN #, do I have to give it to them over the phone? I dont believe I should have to, especially over the phone. Has this happened to anyone else and should I just say no, not until they pay their bill??

Blackcat31
01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I would NEVER give any information like that over the phone.

If their tax preparer calls you and requests the info just state "I'm sorry I do not supply that information over the telephone."

They can still file without your EIN # but still, I just wouldn't go out of my way to provide any info to a family that left on bad terms AND still owing money.

fyi: Tom has a blog entry about what to do when families leave owing you money. ;) http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/07/when-a-parent-leaves-owing-money.html