PDA

View Full Version : W-2 for my own children as employees

butterfly
01-18-2013, 09:30 PM
I would like to hire my own children to help me with my daycare. I have read Tom's blog about this situation and I understand I need to keep good records - making a job description, written agreement, record of hours worked, etc. What I'm unsure of is how I make a W-2 for my children. I would like them to have a W-2 so that they are able to put their earnings into a Roth IRA. Are there any other necessary forms I need to file with the IRS?

Thank you for the help!

TomCopeland
01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
If your children are age 18 or older, you must file a W-2 and W-3. If they are younger than 18 you are not required to file these forms, but it's a good idea to do so anyway.

Fill out W-2 according to the instructions. If they are under age 18 don't enter any amounts on line 2,4,or 6. Do the same things when filling out the W-3.

Join me for a webinar “2012 Tax Changes: How to Avoid Mistakes on Your Tax Return” Tuesday, February 12th at 8:30-10:00pm Eastern Time. The cost is $25 (100% tax deductible!). To register: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab

butterfly
01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Thank you, Tom. I appreciate the help!