PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Wisconsin

AmyKidsCo
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi! I stumbled across the forum looking for information about the Reggio Emilia approach in mixed-age groups.

I've been a licensed family child care provider for 18+ years and have recently been drawn to the Reggio approach but am having problems figuring out how it works with infants and toddlers, who are prone to chewing/choking on things.

Hopefully some of the members here can help out. :)

Blackcat31
03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
welcome to the forum! :)

Here are a few other threads about Reggio https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=reggio+emilia

Michael
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Heidi
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
For my last Practicum, I would like to find out more about this, too. So far, I've spent a lot of time online. It's hard to find much for the under-2 crowd. There are 2 providers here; nothingwithoutjoy and melskids, that use this approach. NWOJ doesn't take under 2's if possible (other than her own), but I'm not sure about Mel.

My teaching style is very much like this, although I am not as good at documentation as I should be.

AmyKidsCo
03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I've noticed the lack of information on the web about under-2s. So many ideas for the older ones are just too dangerous with little ones. Even if you're watching really carefully it just takes a second for them to grab something and eat it.

Heidi
03-27-2013, 08:19 AM
I've noticed the lack of information on the web about under-2s. So many ideas for the older ones are just too dangerous with little ones. Even if you're watching really carefully it just takes a second for them to grab something and eat it.

How many "littles" do you have?

I have ALL littles now, but when I had a mix, I would put them at the table with us (clip on chair) when we got into the art, and give them toys or a crayon and paper (or old cardboard). Then they could do "art" with us, and yes, eat crayons..:rolleyes:

AmyKidsCo
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I have a 10 mo old who's in the 100% percentile for height - he's LITERALLY as tall as a 2 yr old so he can reach onto the table and grab papers off. :eek:

I also have two 2 yr olds and three 4 yr olds. lovethis

It's not art that's a struggle, it's other things I see online I'd like to incorporate, but they aren't safe for the baby. Like tablecloths on the play table, that he'd use to pull himself up but end up pulling off and falling down... Small "loose parts" like glass gems, corks, shells, pebbles, etc that he'd choke on...

Heidi
03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
I have a 10 mo old who's in the 100% percentile for height - he's LITERALLY as tall as a 2 yr old so he can reach onto the table and grab papers off. :eek:

I also have two 2 yr olds and three 4 yr olds. lovethis

It's not art that's a struggle, it's other things I see online I'd like to incorporate, but they aren't safe for the baby. Like tablecloths on the play table, that he'd use to pull himself up but end up pulling off and falling down... Small "loose parts" like glass gems, corks, shells, pebbles, etc that he'd choke on...

I see what you mean. We are planning on building a house with a seperate daycare this year, and one of my must-haves is one big room spit into 2-one side for everyone, the other side for older kids (plus 2 or so...depending on when they are ready) that'll have those "big kid" things.

LK5kids
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Another hello and welcome from a fellow Wisconsinite!