PDA

View Full Version : Best Age For Entering Daycare?

justgettingstarted
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi all!

I used to be a provider and occasional contributor to the forum. I'm now happily adjusting to having a new baby (#2) and being back at work (out of the home) 3 days per week. My mom and MIL are watching the baby while I work and my older child is at a half day preschool.

I'm so happy that my mom and MIL are able to watch LO but I know that it can't last forever. My mom is driving an hour each way and my MIL has an active social schedule she'd like to get back to eventually :rolleyes:

What do you think is the best age for introducing LO to a daycare (for both LO and the provider)? It will only be 2 days per week. I'd like her to stay at home as long as possible but if I wait too long I know it will be harder for her to adjust. I tried putting DS in daycare at about 18 months and lets just say I ended up quitting my job and opening my own daycare :D Of course that was fulltime and long hours and he's a very sensitive kid. I'd love your very knowledgeable advice, thanks!

Heidi
06-06-2013, 12:09 PM
ewww...that hard to say. I like to get them really young here, and preferably full time. Part time babies are SO hard.

I would say the best time for transition is when LO is on a predictable schedule (not rigid, but similar each day) and can go to sleep without rocking, feeding, etc.

Those are the biggest obstacles to happy part time babies in a group setting.

justgettingstarted
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks. Luckily DD is a very easy baby. At 11 weeks she's already on a very predictable schedule and loves to nap. We were having a hard time getting her to take a bottle but just discovered that she does fine with the old style platex drop ins so I think she'd be a very easy baby for a provider, even p/t. She's already used to having a different person care for her just the two days. I definitely want to wait until she's at least 6 months but like I said, I don't want to wait too long. Just curious to know when you providers like to get them and what you're experiences have been with infants that have never been to daycare before. I only cared for preschoolers happyface

AmyKidsCo
06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
I accept babies as young as 6 weeks but prefer them to be around 3 mos. I've found that the 8 week age is frustrating because they're awake more and want to do things but aren't able to so they require more attention and entertaining. By 3 mos they can hold rattles, hit at baby gym toys, and keep themselves busy for a little longer so I can whip up a meal, use the bathroom or change a diaper. ;)

turkey
06-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I actually prefer ages 2+ to start at my facility but I'll take as young 1 if they are full time or fit perfect in my schedule. I like to do lots of group activities with the kiddos so caring for a new born/under 1 would not be ideal. Also I feel like they can communicate better, and are on a better sleep schedule at the age of 2.

LoraJenkins
06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks. Luckily DD is a very easy baby. At 11 weeks she's already on a very predictable schedule and loves to nap. We were having a hard time getting her to take a bottle but just discovered that she does fine with the old style platex drop ins so I think she'd be a very easy baby for a provider, even p/t. She's already used to having a different person care for her just the two days. I definitely want to wait until she's at least 6 months but like I said, I don't want to wait too long. Just curious to know when you providers like to get them and what you're experiences have been with infants that have never been to daycare before. I only cared for preschoolers happyface

Personally, for me, the younger the better. I have had children as young as 5 weeks starting care, but I am extremely comfortable with newborns/infants. I prefer BEFORE a year old.

blandino
06-07-2013, 05:39 AM
It's a total double edge sword for me. On one hand, you want to keep your young baby at home as long as possible - but I think having a baby start daycare before 6 months is much easier on them.

I have babies start as early as 6 weeks, but prefer 12 weeks. I have a new infant starting in August, who will be 4 months and that really has me excited. I have had a few start at 4 months and it is really really nice.

I would at all costs avoid starting a child at 12-24 months. I have only had 2 children start at those ages and adjust easily - the rest have been especially difficult.

Cradle2crayons
06-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I agree with the others, the earlier the better. I accept babies as young as four weeks and I agree 12 weeks or so is probably the most ideal.

Familycare71
06-07-2013, 08:12 AM
I agree 3 months is a good age- by 6 months... I no longer accept P/T infants... They never fully settle into a routine and it isn't fair IMO I would poss consider it if the baby was easy and came consecutive days... But it would start on a trial basis.

spud912
06-07-2013, 04:02 PM
3 months or younger OR over the age of 24 months. The worst time is ~7 months to 18 months in my opinion. That's when they have the hardest time adjusting to a new setting, especially if it's only part-time.

MissAnn
06-08-2013, 05:26 AM
I was thinking this......

4 years old, after only being watched by grandma who babied and overly protected. Then mom wants to "get her ready" for kindergarten and places her with you ONCE a week.

Yep....this is going to be challenging!

So I am going to say ......best time is by 3 and at least 3 times a week.

kimmills
06-09-2013, 08:05 AM
There is no particular age for the kids to be sent to the daycare center. It can be anything above 6 weeks. It is better to send them young so that they do not have the difficulty to adjusting to a new environment.

cheerfuldom
06-09-2013, 07:23 PM
I really think you will have a smoother transition because you know as a former provider, what and how to prepare a child for daycare. Baby is already working on feeding and sleeping independently and is used to different caregivers. With that in mind, I would personally have the relatives help out as long as possible, assuming they and you are all keeping baby on the same routine and encouraging the bottle use and playing independently.

JillJones82
06-10-2013, 09:26 AM
The earlier the better is also my view on it.