PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Do This?

Punkin.Butts
01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Last year I had a vehicle that I depreciated expenses on due to the job I had at the time.

I no longer have that job, BUT I still have that vehicle, and use it for my daycare now.

The only time it IS driven, is when I need both cars to transport my kids and daycare kids to a location or field trip etc. etc..

Must I still claim the depreciation or can i switch to mileage or am I able to use it at all since I used it priorly for a different job?

TomCopeland
01-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Last year I had a vehicle that I depreciated expenses on due to the job I had at the time.

I no longer have that job, BUT I still have that vehicle, and use it for my daycare now.

The only time it IS driven, is when I need both cars to transport my kids and daycare kids to a location or field trip etc. etc..

Must I still claim the depreciation or can i switch to mileage or am I able to use it at all since I used it priorly for a different job?

Since you are using your vehicle in a new business (daycare) you start over with claiming expenses for this car. Therefore, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or you can depreciate the car and use the actual expenses method.