PDA

View Full Version : Should I Do My Own Taxes?

CraftyMom
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
I usually do our taxes every year. This will be the first year filing for home daycare. Is this something I could do myself? I am not a tax professional, but I imagine it isn't too difficult. Or am I completely wrong? I use minute menu kids pro to keep track of my expenses.

Michael
01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
That s great question to ask Tom Copeland at our Tax Webinar next Tuesday.

Don’t miss Tom Copeland's February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e8sw2sqo2bb54d4e&llr=yatrx4cab

mountainside13
01-31-2014, 08:04 PM
I usually do our taxes every year. This will be the first year filing for home daycare. Is this something I could do myself? I am not a tax professional, but I imagine it isn't too difficult. Or am I completely wrong? I use minute menu kids pro to keep track of my expenses.

I am in my 4th year for taxes. First 2 years I went to a CPA and we had a feeling something wasn't right, so did a second look with HR Block. Got a huge amount back because the first person made huge mistakes. Since then HR block has done our taxes. They have done a good job but the fee is outrageous ($600+) so I am going to start doing my taxes by myself with the help of MMK and the Tom's books!!

If you feel comfortable with the daycare tax laws and keep up with the changes each year, I say go for it! Just be careful! Tom says that the tax softwares don't configure time/space % so you have to figure that out yourself (each item) but when you use MMK it gives you the numbers!

kendallina
01-31-2014, 08:05 PM
I do my own. I could not do it though without Tom Copeland's books. His books have helped me tremendously! If you're used to doing your own taxes, then you should be okay (especially if you use MMK - I don't but from what I hear on here, I probably should). It's a lot of work, but I wouldn't say it's hard. :) Good luck!!