PDA

View Full Version : Co-op policy

Unregistered
12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Quick question if anyone can help. Our child is in a co-op and is showing signs of aggression towards more than one student. We believe that the faculty/staff of the school are notifying the other parents that it is specifically our child being the aggressor. Is this permitted, or are there any policies/regulations that are being broken by disclosing our child's name to the parents. We don't condone the behavior, and are working to correct it, but I am beginning to be concerned for the safety of our child if this is the case.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Blackcat31
12-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Quick question if anyone can help. Our child is in a co-op and is showing signs of aggression towards more than one student. We believe that the faculty/staff of the school are notifying the other parents that it is specifically our child being the aggressor. Is this permitted, or are there any policies/regulations that are being broken by disclosing our child's name to the parents. We don't condone the behavior, and are working to correct it, but I am beginning to be concerned for the safety of our child if this is the case.

What state are you in?

Depending on the number of children that attend, it's usually pretty easy for parents to figure out which kid did what, plus when their own child can speak, they can tell which kid it is too...

However, it is usually a breach of confidentiality to outright state which child did what to another parent but I am unsure of whether that is a rule in other states.

It's definitely bad business practice in my opinion but like I said not sure about the legality of it in your state or within the context of your situation.

Sorry that wasn't much help but that's all I got... :)

Blackcat31
12-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Safety from whom?

The other parents? or the kids?

If it's the kids, they already know it's your child being aggressive so their response to him would be normal/natural.

NOT okay for the kids to retaliate in anyway but of course they are going to react negatively to anyone they feel threatens them physically, emotionally or mentally...kwim?

Unregistered
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM
safety from the other parents. I do not know any of these people. Yet the faculty/staff have admitted that other parents are complaining specifically about my child. While, I highly doubt that any of the parents would become confrontational with me/spouse/child, at the same time, it can not be ruled out.

NJ

Unregistered
12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
How do you know the teachers are sharing this info?

Are the kids old enough to tell their parents the aggressors name? What about when parents drop off and pickup? It is possible that the parents are seeing the behavior, know your kids' name and further, are talking with other parents about your kid. Unless you have proof that the teacher are breaking a specific regulation, you will not be taken seriously. Sounds like your child is having some behavioral issues and you are feeling sensitive about it. Don't be too quick to blame the teachers. Kids talk. Other parents talk.

daycarediva
12-19-2014, 09:30 AM
What state are you in?

Depending on the number of children that attend, it's usually pretty easy for parents to figure out which kid did what, plus when their own child can speak, they can tell which kid it is too...

However, it is usually a breach of confidentiality to outright state which child did what to another parent but I am unsure of whether that is a rule in other states.

It's definitely bad business practice in my opinion but like I said not sure about the legality of it in your state or within the context of your situation.

Sorry that wasn't much help but that's all I got... :)

Agree here.

My kids are all 2-5. I have 7 that age enrolled, 6 each day. They tell their parents EVERYTHING. It's pretty normal for a parent to be concerned if their child comes home and says "Johnny hit Connor again today!" "Johnny threw a block at Connor today!" "Johnny had a time out for punching Connor!"

Parents also see these things when they come in/out. If it's the same child on a number of incidents, they can become concerned.

I have never had a parent retaliate against a child or tell their children to do so.

As long as you are actively working with the daycare to correct the issue, I wouldn't worry what the other parent thinks. No child is perfect, and their child has probably had or will have behaviors of concern at one point or another.

My biggest issue with this is= why aren't the children separated entirely until your son is no longer aggressive? It's relatively easy to separate two kids, regardless of group size. THAT is what I would suggest to their staff. It is their responsibility to keep the other child safe.