PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong?

Unregistered
04-16-2009, 01:23 PM
For nearly 20 years I was the Assistant Director of a child care center in a small town. I loved my job and the children. I grew close to my coworkers. However starting late last year, I was feeling very stressed due to my scheduling. I would work 3 days out of the week 6 hours and the other 2 days I would work 10 hours per day. Yes that’s not bad. However being AD, I was the one who had to stay if someone called in (which they always did) or when someone had plans(Heaven forbid I had plans on MY early day!!)

The final straw was back in November 2008. I was SO sick on a Sunday I had my husband take me to the ER. It turned out that I had a massive strep throat and since I worked with children the doctor didn’t want me to go to work until that Tuesday. I called the one coworker and asked her to please call the rest of the staff because I was going to turn off my phone and go to bed. I did. When I work up I had a VERY nasty voice mail from a coworker.

She stated that she heard that I was going to be out that Monday and she was sorry that I was sick but she had “plans” and she didn’t know if she could cover for me. I hit the roof. I was SO furious. I thought…gee I can’t even get sick!

Like I said that was the final straw. I started to look for a new job. I made the mistake of telling my boss I was leaving for a few reasons. One out of respect for working together for so long. Two because in case someone called in references I didn’t want her to be surprised. Well a week later, she came to me and since I was in charge of scheduling she showed me a schedule and asked me if it looked okay. I immediately saw that I was not on this schedule. My director stated that my replacement was found and she needed to know when my last day was. I said when I find a job. She stated that she didn’t want to lose my replacement so where could she put me. She stated that not many people come in and apply and she had to look out for her business. I said fine..my last day was such and such.

In the meantime, I was telling the parents that I was leaving. I gave the reasoning as because I wanted to go to school for a degree in criminal justice( which I do but I don’t know when) and I couldn’t go to school because of scheduling conflicts. When they would say what do you mean..I would honestly say well I always had to cover for someone etc…I never knew what my schedule would be.

Long story short 2 weeks later I found a nanny job. Since my current boss has his children 2 times out of the week..the other 2 days I clean his house. Funny thing is..I work less hours and get paid MORE money. I have no stress …nothing. I love my job.

Well I told my boss I was a nanny and when the children weren’t there, I would straighten up the house since the man lives alone. A few weeks later my former boss sent me the most nastiest email saying she heard what I was saying and she didn’t like it. She thought I cared about her, which I do care. She ended the email…enjoy being a maid!

About 2 weeks ago I called one my former coworkers. I have known her for years. We went through a lot together. I asked her how things were etc. I said I don’t know what you have heard but I am not a maid. I am the nanny etc.. I said I would love to see my former kids but I don’t think would feel welcome and I didn’t want to put her in a bad position if I just showed up. She was very nice.

Well this morning I called to say hi and she said she was sorry but she couldn’t really talk. So I said ok I will talk to you later. Well I just got ANOTHER nasty email from this former coworker and she was calling me names and said she didn’t want to hear from me again because of me disrespecting the staff to the parents because of why I left.

I don’t feel like I disrespected anyone. I told the truth. I wasn’t going to lie to the parents. I am sorry this is long but please…I need your opinion.

Thanks!

Unregistered
04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
omg i can't believe your former boss & coworkers acted like that towards you they were so disrespectful i suggest you put that all behind you and continue with your life i understand that you thought they were your friends but honestly they weren't if they reacted in that way i'm glad you're happy at your current job & earning more $$$$$ so keep your head up

lilbiddapopcorn
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
What I don't get is why you're stressing so much about this last job. Change your email address, or block them from it, and move on. Obviously something happened in this situation that upset everyone, so just forget about your old job and learn from the experience. There's no reason to keep arguing with these people and trying to make them see your point of view. Here's what I think happened at the end of your job - you did what you thought was right for you and your career,like leaving, and they did what they thought was right for them and theirs. Like hiring someone new. Obviously, nasty emails are childish and you shouldn't even be paying attention to them. Delete them. Stop calling your old job and the people there, it's probably just stirring the pot and upsetting them more. Enjoy your new job and focus on that.