Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum > Advice Needed.....Before My Head Explodes

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Thread: Advice Needed.....Before My Head Explodes Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Random Question
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
09-22-2010 10:59 AM
Unregistered Yes, I wasn't charging for the milage to the same school that my boys attented, only in the other town over.


BUT............that doesn't matter any more as I just recieved my two weeks notice. Shocked for sure, but non the less. I am now out the two children i had..

not sure what my next step is, excpet maybe I will look into a job elsewere that will still give me the hours that my boys are at school. Ive been home for the last 10 years and I am not sure how my children will take it, but I now need to figure something out, as these parents have left a very foul taste in my mouth. Im tired of weeding out the bad ones, going through all teh arguments of change and hope for it to be better, only for them to leave...
09-21-2010 07:33 PM
Abigail
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
The standard mileage rate is 50 cents per mile for business miles driven for 2010.
True, and this is to AND from driving distance. If you bring them to the same school though charging mileage seems weird. I would find another way of charging extra since you already drive your kids to the same school. I would definitely look for others because still if you're only getting 150/week for the two of them and they want you to lower it, I would look for two other full time children. Even one would make more sense and less drama. Tell them your current rates will remain the same. You provide childcare as a business, not some teenage girl babysitting. Good luck!
09-21-2010 04:48 PM
DancingQueen I'd never have parents tell me I couldn't do field trips so I would have ditched the family a long time ago.
I'd throw together a contract and be ready for when she comes to you and requests the rate change and lets you know about the new situation.
I'd make her pay the current rate for 2 more weeks - because the short notice is not cool.
I'd tell her you can drop her rate and she can provide all care outside of the new schedule (meaning SHE handles snow days, early dismissal etc) (this way you can still take in another full time kid
OR lower the rate - but when there is a snow day charge an increased fee.

The way I work is I have full time rate and before/after school rate. They are incredibly different rates. If there is a snow day then the before/after school kid pays the full time rate for that one day.
09-21-2010 02:44 PM
Preschool/daycare teacher My honest opinion would be that I would change the oldest girl's rate if she went to school full day, but not the younger one going to preschool. I wouldn't want to pay for my child to be at daycare all day if she's only there 1 hr in the am and 2 in the pm. But I do recommend trying to find ft family to replace them and telling this family that part time spots cannot be held if someone needing ft care comes. That way you keep this family, with $20 less a week, but aren't obligated to keep them on when you find a ft family. Do you have a policy? I would make a change to it, saying you provide pt care, but if someone needing ft care comes along, they'll have to either change their hrs to ft, or you'll have to terminate to make room for ft. If any of that makes any sense? We, too, are in the position of having so many pt children, or just 3 hrs 3 days a week, that we aren't making enough. But full time children are SO hard to find that we take on pt children just because any money no matter how little is better than none. And some children have dropped hours who used to be full time are now part part time. But we love the children and cared for them already, so hate to say no.
09-21-2010 02:37 PM
Live and Learn Unless you are desperate for any income I personally wouldn't lower my rates. It is so simple...you only have room for two children so if she wants to use those two spots she will need to pay for them.....full time. If she gives you no notice of her intended changes then shame on her. 2 weeks notice minimum is standard practice. If you can afford it I would be tempted to drop her if she gives you zero notice and also tries to dicker with you over price. She can be replaced.......wow! That sure sounds grumpy!!! in a nutshell...stand up for yourself.
09-21-2010 10:15 AM
Unregistered originally I was looking for two full time children, because my two require so much help with homework and we are very close I wanted to ensure enough attention to go around. But when this mom came to me offering the hours that she had I was like.....ok this could work. I was charging 170 for the summer rate. a total of 34 hours.

this isn't anything that I have done before (childcare) so I was kinda flying by the seat of my pants.

we discussed how much when school started. she accepted.
then came summer and she didn't want me to go anywhere with her children so my boys kinda suffered... no play dates with friends or other local dc parents. we stayed here for the whole two months.

school has only been in session for about three weeks. so far one attempt at them wanting to change the pay and now this issue, (but they haven't said anything yet)

I drive my boys to school with her daughter. then I hang here with her other daughter and wait for the school bus to drop off at 11:30. then I have to go get my boys at 3:00.


If this schedule change happens.. I am still unable to take on more children due to the space in my care. I drive my children, as the bus ride is 45 min. They school is only 7 minutes down the road.

That's why I feel like they are still taking the two spots in my home for her girls regardless of hours. If her daughter gets set home...i take her. If shool is out early......i take her...if there is a delay....i have her.
So i am available for those hours.


SHE has done all the math on her end and is telling me that I get 3/hr for her youngest and 2/hr for her oldest.

If I lower the rate, which she feels is by 20 dollars, I would be getting 130 a week. would I still be reasonable of me to charge for every additional hour after that? If I have a snow day or early release or just plain more hours.. She seems to want to nickle and dime me....so I guess i could do it back.


I always thought that going into this I would have the say in what the amount would be. Period and that it was my way or nothing. But I guess I am a little on the pushover side....


I just can't plan for paying my flippin bills if they want to keep changing stuff. UGGGGG
09-21-2010 08:15 AM
MarinaVanessa Do you offer before/after school care? Or do you just offer full & part-time care? I offer B/A school care so I would charge that rate but if you don't offer it and it was never discussed then I would charge your p/t rate. I charge a weekly rate regardless of whether or not they are here, my rates are based on enrollement not attendance. If you don't want to lose the family then I would discuss other options with them but make it clear that you are making an exception (and a large one at that) and that you don't want to keep modifying it frequently so they should make sure what they want to do. I would also charge mileage if you are transporting and that wasn't in your initial contract. If they want to pay less because they are there less hours then they could at least cover mileage (since the hours they were missing before were covering mileage). The standard mileage rate is 50 cents per mile for business miles driven for 2010.

Also, I wouldn't approach them first. I'd wait until they approached you, it is their responsibility. I have in my handbook that I need to be given notice of schedule changes two weeks in advance, do you have something like that? If not I'd think about adding that now.

P.S. Whatever you decide make sure that they sign a new contract that has everything spelled out so there is no confusion later.
09-21-2010 08:07 AM
TGT09 Finding full-time children in my area is like pulling teeth so I can understand wanting to hold onto even part-time kids.

I would drop the rate but allow extra for mileage/food that you have to provide during the time she's with you.
09-21-2010 07:57 AM
MyAngels I think I would begin looking for someone to take full time, since that's what you wanted in the beginning, then either modify their rate & keep them before and after school or terminate them altogether. If they balk at the rate, just tell them that you are actively looking to fill the spots in the time that their children will not be there, and when you find someone you will let them know, and adjust their rate at that time. I would also let them know that, since you will be filling the spots, that you won't be available to take their children when school is out. Don't be surprised if they opt to look for other care, which may be best in the long run, since it doesn't sound like they are a good fit for you anyway.
09-21-2010 05:54 AM
marniewon Have you started looking for more children? My first thought, with all the issues you are putting up with, is find someone else and let this family go. Does dcg go to same school as your children? If not, I would tell the family they have to find their own transportation or pay you gas/mileage. Especially if you go down to b/a school rates.
09-21-2010 04:18 AM
legomom922 IMO, if she is only going to be there b4 & after school, I would charge my b4/after school rate, and then try to look for a FT or PT child to fill the spot. My daily rate is $35, weather they are here 4 hrs, or 10, and my b4/after school rate is $15 UP to 3 hrs.

I would also send home a newsletter reminding parents of your rules, no shoes in the house, hrs, etc, and also mention how smoothly you would like drop offs and pick ups to be, and that you have to get breakfast ready or what ever etc.
09-20-2010 06:06 PM
Unregistered Preview
advice needed.....before my head explodes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello everyone,

I currently take care of two children. I have them 3 and a half days a week. tues. wed. thurs. 7:30 (or whenever the parents leave they like to stay for 20 minutes every morning, which I hate) till 5 and then fridays 630-11-30. Originally I was searching for two full time kiddos. I ended up taking the two girls these time frames for a flat rate of 150 a week.

the parents wanted a pay change after enrolling their youngest child into a playschool/preschool 3 of the days.

I said no, my pay will remain the same. The 150 is for the two spots in my home. I still had to be available at all times in case the girls school called. so I couldn't take any additional children, I only have 2 spots in my car. ( I transport my two boys to/from school) and I also take the oldest daughter to and from school with mine eveyday AND biggest point was that the difference in hours of having her equalled out in the gas and milage on my car. 60 miles a week.

We have kept it as it is.......

until now?????????? Their oldest daughter has minor issues and the school and parents feel she should be in kindergarten full days now. meaning I will have her 1 hour in the am and then 2 hours in the pm.( a total difference of 11.5 hrs a week)

***** Might i just add that the change will take place next week and the parents havent mentioned it to me, I only know now, because her teacher asked if i was still going to be doing all the pickups and dropoffs.*****


Should I change the pay, or argue that the spots in my home are still taken leaving me unable to care for additional children?

and would you change the FLAT RATE to a per hour charge? I am just so confused... had I known that these parents would want to make so many changes I wouldn't have taken these girls into my care.

aside from the everyday headaches of their not allowing me to go anywhere with their children(fieldtrips, errands or outings)
their staying at my house for 20 minutes or more every morning.
not being respectful and quite for my two boys who are still sleeping,
and failure to remove their shoes.

I just need some SERIOUS advice...thank you to all in advance..

and yes I am a constant user of this web forum, but as of late....I somtimes feel like the parents are checking up on me, hence why tonight I am posting as unregistered.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming