Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum > Kicking Child Out of Daycare

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Thread: Kicking Child Out of Daycare Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Random Question
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-14-2018 11:33 AM
daycarediva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla505 View Post
Hello I want to know if I can sue the daycare.
Theses are my reasons:
My son is 1 year old and he got kicked out wierd right he's only 1 year old. The reason they said was he was crying to long supposably and he would make the other kids cry. He a baby baby's cry for feeding diaper and they want to be hold walk they don't just cry because they want to it's because he's asking for something. He only goes every Tuesday 8am-12pm 4 hours and he's new this was his 3rd time going but more like 2 times and they got put up with him because the 3rd time he was only ther for 40 minutes and they called me to pick him up. So they basically took 25 for enrollment fee 35$ each tuesday and there was 2 that he went all 8am-12pm so $90 plus 25$ they received $115 and kicked me out the 3rd Tuesday ? Can I sue is this is this fair ? They didn't even try seems to me but what can I do help !
This is what a trial period is for. I can tell based on improvement over the time the child is in care for the day how 'easy' of a transition it will be. A child who cries continually is very stressful not only to the provider but to the other children enrolled. If he wasn't improving, they are WELL within their rights to call for pick up and/or let your child go.

Almost every 12 month old will have a VERY hard time transitioning with that type of schedule. Never been in daycare before? Never had anything but 1:1 care? Only VERY part time? He/she will never adjust to anyone at 4 hours a week. Either hire a nanny who can just deal with the screaming, or enroll him somewhere with more days and be up front about his separation anxiety.
02-13-2018 03:09 PM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla505 View Post
Hello I want to know if I can sue the daycare.
Theses are my reasons:
My son is 1 year old and he got kicked out wierd right he's only 1 year old. The reason they said was he was crying to long supposably and he would make the other kids cry. He a baby baby's cry for feeding diaper and they want to be hold walk they don't just cry because they want to it's because he's asking for something. He only goes every Tuesday 8am-12pm 4 hours and he's new this was his 3rd time going but more like 2 times and they got put up with him because the 3rd time he was only ther for 40 minutes and they called me to pick him up. So they basically took 25 for enrollment fee 35$ each tuesday and there was 2 that he went all 8am-12pm so $90 plus 25$ they received $115 and kicked me out the 3rd Tuesday ? Can I sue is this is this fair ? They didn't even try seems to me but what can I do help !
A baby that cries uncontrollably for 45 minutes is excruciating for everyone to deal with. I understand it's your baby and yes babies cry for many reasons but you can't expect the provider to be able to manage just your child while caring for the others. I don't hold babies all day long and walk the floor with them just so they don't cry.

I expect babies at 1 yr old to be able to play solo for short periods of time and to not want to be held all day. It's just not possible in group care.

The length of time your child is in care also plays a role in how long it will take for them to acclimate to the new environment and it sounds like the short days that aren't consecutive is difficult for him to get used to.

As a provider that's been in business for over 2 decades I know I can confidently decide if a child is going to adjust well or not at all just by spending a couple hours with them.

Its also not uncommon for infants as young as 8 weeks old to be terminated from care so age really has nothing to do with it. It really has more to do with adjusting.

Also you can sue your child care for not having a green building but what is it you are really wanting? Them to keep your baby enrolled? If so, why would you want your child to attend a care environment that isn't right for him or an environment that terminated?

If you are suing for money....I guess I don't see anywhere that you didn't get the services you paid for except the early pick up day...but that is probably only a couple dollars and not worth suing for. If you are simply suing because it's not fair...well..sorry but life isn't fair.

It often times take several daycare experiences and several interviews and tours and even more trial days/weeks to find the perfect fit for child care services so my advice is to continue searching for the right fit for your child. There is one out there...you just have to do the leg work and ask the right questions and you WILL find one that works well for both the provider, you and your son.
02-13-2018 02:46 PM
Karla505 Hello I want to know if I can sue the daycare.
Theses are my reasons:
My son is 1 year old and he got kicked out wierd right he's only 1 year old. The reason they said was he was crying to long supposably and he would make the other kids cry. He a baby baby's cry for feeding diaper and they want to be hold walk they don't just cry because they want to it's because he's asking for something. He only goes every Tuesday 8am-12pm 4 hours and he's new this was his 3rd time going but more like 2 times and they got put up with him because the 3rd time he was only ther for 40 minutes and they called me to pick him up. So they basically took 25 for enrollment fee 35$ each tuesday and there was 2 that he went all 8am-12pm so $90 plus 25$ they received $115 and kicked me out the 3rd Tuesday ? Can I sue is this is this fair ? They didn't even try seems to me but what can I do help !
02-07-2018 09:03 PM
BrynleeJean id say that sound suspicious, like why would they want to do that? But um if its in their policy that they can term without a notice then yea its there in writing but if not i wouldn't really get upset just make sure they owe you what money you might have paid advance?

usually, depending on the state matter, at least here in my state, the state person usually wants to talk to the child, not much but simple questions about the situation, depending on the age of the child of course.
02-06-2018 08:51 AM
LostMyMarbles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have a question? i filed a complaint against my child care provider. today i was told the state was there on the complaint and not to bring my child back. can they do this?
Seriously , why would you want to leave you child in a place you clearly take issue with.

I would term anyone who filed a complaint about me. It is obviously not a good fit for you and the provider, but most importantly the child.

As a provider, keeping you enrolled would put me on edge every single minute of the day, wondering what is going to be next.

Yup, you would be gone. My business, my way!
02-05-2018 10:40 AM
daycarediva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I put a bad review on yelp and now they are threatening to kick my kid out of daycare. My complaints were not dealbreakers but I pay a lot of money because it is a private daycare and am very disappointed in the level of service .
I would have terminated immediately. If you posted a bad review, especially without speaking to me to address your concerns to attempt to resolve them before hand. No way would I work with you as a parent if this was how you treated me/my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, what did you expect? If it were enough of an issue to write a bad review I would have already pulled my kid. Best to just move on if you don’t like what’s going on. Next time talk to the daycare provider before posting a negative review.

P.S. I know this thread is super old
yup! Old thread, new post!
02-02-2018 06:03 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I put a bad review on yelp and now they are threatening to kick my kid out of daycare. My complaints were not dealbreakers but I pay a lot of money because it is a private daycare and am very disappointed in the level of service .
Well, what did you expect? If it were enough of an issue to write a bad review I would have already pulled my kid. Best to just move on if you don’t like what’s going on. Next time talk to the daycare provider before posting a negative review.

P.S. I know this thread is super old
02-02-2018 05:13 PM
Unregistered I put a bad review on yelp and now they are threatening to kick my kid out of daycare. My complaints were not dealbreakers but I pay a lot of money because it is a private daycare and am very disappointed in the level of service .
12-08-2016 10:49 AM
MarinaVanessa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see all the posts here from the daycare providers " if the parnet does not work with the daycare, but report to the state agency, and the daycare will kick out the kid", now I have an issue that the daycare provider refused to address my concern, then waht should I do?
Find a new daycare.

If it's an issue that violates a state regulation report it to the state, and find a new daycare.
12-08-2016 10:37 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see all the posts here from the daycare providers " if the parnet does not work with the daycare, but report to the state agency, and the daycare will kick out the kid", now I have an issue that the daycare provider refused to address my concern, then waht should I do?
You are having an issue with your current provider and she/he will not address your concerns?

Is that what you are asking? Just trying to get a bit more information so advice and suggestions can be offered.
12-08-2016 10:31 AM
Unregistered I see all the posts here from the daycare providers " if the parnet does not work with the daycare, but report to the state agency, and the daycare will kick out the kid", now I have an issue that the daycare provider refused to address my concern, then waht should I do?
09-06-2013 08:37 PM
Cradle2crayons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
our children attend a local daycare facility and it is a pretty good place. but then my kids both started getting sick after humidity hit a record high here for quite a period of time. i started looking into the situation and had found that the church they attend had taken about 3-4 feet of water in the basement two years before. when I questioned the daycare owner about it and if it had been properly cleaned and inspected she basically freaked out and said i was wrong for questioning her about such a thing and that " of course we had it cleaned and tested". then she tried to terminate service for me asking such a thing. I was shocked and explained that I wasn't doubting her but was worried for my childrens health and was simply checking all that could be causing the illness. that was that.

then about two months later with no issues. kids healthy (humidity went way down and was actually overly dry here) i forgot to leave the check one friday. first time ever late and when my wife picked the kids up she paid. she was told there was a $25 late fee but she had wrote the check before she left the house and had no cash to pay the $25. she was notified it would be $25 a day until it was payed. so basically $75 since we were coming to a weekend. my wife questioned why when we have never been late and the payment wasn't even 12h late that we would be penalized $75... kind of steep for two young parents of two. she terminated our service then and there...

something has to be wrong here!! please any info will help. we by no means want to get our kids back into this place as the owner has proven that she is a money hungry bully but it just doesn't sit well with me.
Most of us here learned the hard way about late payments. I require payment on the first day of drop off for the week. If its not paid AT DROP OFF, there is an automatic late payment. It's in the contract, parents sign it.

Personally, you made a mistake by forgetting the payment and the provider had every right to charge the late fee. It's policy. A simple remedy would have been since you forgot the check, you should have immediately texted her and apologized and had that $25 late fee at pick up. Then it all could have been solved. I'm assuming one of you had an ATM card?? I have never heard of a parent leaving the check book at home, having no ATM card. I'm assuming no banks were open that day for a withdrawal??

It seems like you made an honest mistake and forgot payment at drop off. But is it the providers fault she upholds her policies?? It's all about responsibility.
09-06-2013 06:28 PM
Heidi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
our children attend a local daycare facility and it is a pretty good place. but then my kids both started getting sick after humidity hit a record high here for quite a period of time. i started looking into the situation and had found that the church they attend had taken about 3-4 feet of water in the basement two years before. when I questioned the daycare owner about it and if it had been properly cleaned and inspected she basically freaked out and said i was wrong for questioning her about such a thing and that " of course we had it cleaned and tested". then she tried to terminate service for me asking such a thing. I was shocked and explained that I wasn't doubting her but was worried for my childrens health and was simply checking all that could be causing the illness. that was that.

then about two months later with no issues. kids healthy (humidity went way down and was actually overly dry here) i forgot to leave the check one friday. first time ever late and when my wife picked the kids up she paid. she was told there was a $25 late fee but she had wrote the check before she left the house and had no cash to pay the $25. she was notified it would be $25 a day until it was payed. so basically $75 since we were coming to a weekend. my wife questioned why when we have never been late and the payment wasn't even 12h late that we would be penalized $75... kind of steep for two young parents of two. she terminated our service then and there...

something has to be wrong here!! please any info will help. we by no means want to get our kids back into this place as the owner has proven that she is a money hungry bully but it just doesn't sit well with me.
She doesn't sound terribly nice, but unless she broke your contract, I'd just consider it time to move on.
09-06-2013 05:22 PM
Unregistered our children attend a local daycare facility and it is a pretty good place. but then my kids both started getting sick after humidity hit a record high here for quite a period of time. i started looking into the situation and had found that the church they attend had taken about 3-4 feet of water in the basement two years before. when I questioned the daycare owner about it and if it had been properly cleaned and inspected she basically freaked out and said i was wrong for questioning her about such a thing and that " of course we had it cleaned and tested". then she tried to terminate service for me asking such a thing. I was shocked and explained that I wasn't doubting her but was worried for my childrens health and was simply checking all that could be causing the illness. that was that.

then about two months later with no issues. kids healthy (humidity went way down and was actually overly dry here) i forgot to leave the check one friday. first time ever late and when my wife picked the kids up she paid. she was told there was a $25 late fee but she had wrote the check before she left the house and had no cash to pay the $25. she was notified it would be $25 a day until it was payed. so basically $75 since we were coming to a weekend. my wife questioned why when we have never been late and the payment wasn't even 12h late that we would be penalized $75... kind of steep for two young parents of two. she terminated our service then and there...

something has to be wrong here!! please any info will help. we by no means want to get our kids back into this place as the owner has proven that she is a money hungry bully but it just doesn't sit well with me.
06-01-2012 11:15 AM
AnneCordelia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How does someone like you even have a business?
Why is a provider not ethically allowed to ask for references from their potential clients? For many of us, we run business from our homes, where our families live and our children sleep. I absolutely require references from my clients, and I provide references of my own (including past clients) to new potential clients. The pendulum swings both ways.
05-31-2012 02:18 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliya View Post
I am provider, and I ask my potential clients if child attended childcare before,and if they say yes, I ask where he went and why they left. Then, I call the provider and ask a same question ,why that child left? and if provider tells me ,child was super,but mama was complainer. I would not accept you.
How does someone like you even have a business?
10-21-2011 04:20 PM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My child goes part time to daycare on the suffice i guess the daycare looks good clean but there is some concerns that i have. For one last time i picked her up she did not get bottle (milk) for 7 hrs and baby food only one time in almost 10 hr day that she stayed there. is that something that should be reported ? im in process of finding another daycare because i just refuse to take my baby where she is starved to death and crying when i pick her up i just dont feel thats right. I have not talked to the site director because every time i ask her anything about my child's day she has no clue what is going on and by the time i pick her up the teacher is already gone. i only hope that all daycare's are not the same and some daycare providers actually have some pride in their work, dont get me wrong taking care of kids is not easy and dealing with parents at times is challenging at the least but is it really that much to ask for my child to be fed with food that i provide at approximate times that she normally eats and drinks and to be played with??
Are you sure your child was not fed?

I do remember that in my old center the employees would occassionally get behind on paperwork because of the particularly BAD day (behavior wise) of one or two kids that kept them otherwise occupied.

I also got yanked from my room without warning often to handle some other "crisis" after I got my kids to sleep for nap (when paperwork is typically done). By the time I got back to my room, they were sending me home "for ratio" (since Lead title pays at a higher rate) and moving my kids to another room. The parents were never given THAT part of the story... Just "I don't know WHY she did not document that."

It was frustrating because it made it look like I had not done my job when in reality I did two employees worth that day... I also knew informing the parents would lead to my termination.
10-21-2011 03:06 PM
Unregistered My child goes part time to daycare on the suffice i guess the daycare looks good clean but there is some concerns that i have. For one last time i picked her up she did not get bottle (milk) for 7 hrs and baby food only one time in almost 10 hr day that she stayed there. is that something that should be reported ? im in process of finding another daycare because i just refuse to take my baby where she is starved to death and crying when i pick her up i just dont feel thats right. I have not talked to the site director because every time i ask her anything about my child's day she has no clue what is going on and by the time i pick her up the teacher is already gone. i only hope that all daycare's are not the same and some daycare providers actually have some pride in their work, dont get me wrong taking care of kids is not easy and dealing with parents at times is challenging at the least but is it really that much to ask for my child to be fed with food that i provide at approximate times that she normally eats and drinks and to be played with??
08-26-2011 02:40 PM
Meeko
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrugrats View Post
http://www.providerwatch.com/v2/

I have a little thing written in my contract that says I use this. I have two parents who I have on this list for non payment of last 2 weeks of care. There is a free trial you can try for 60 days, then its $10 a month. If I was a center I would get this, but for now I just report them, in hopes I help someone one day. I know this is about payment, but I wish there was something like this for parents who turn in bogus reports for being let go, or them terminating for something they dont like.

I had a family whom i helped by bringing their child to preschool each day. She would whine and cry about not wanting to go to school because the kids made fun of her clothes and shoes. I told this to the parent and teacher, and just moved on. Well the child was going to start kindergarten so I figured i woudlnt have her anyway, but about a month after she was pulled ( with 2 week paid and a raving letter about how great it is here, etc) I had a visit from the state. Mom told them I told her daughter she couldnt wear her shoes that she loved and her shirt was ugly????? really!!???!
I use provider watch too and have it in my contract.
08-26-2011 12:00 PM
mismatchedsocks http://www.providerwatch.com/v2/

I have a little thing written in my contract that says I use this. I have two parents who I have on this list for non payment of last 2 weeks of care. There is a free trial you can try for 60 days, then its $10 a month. If I was a center I would get this, but for now I just report them, in hopes I help someone one day. I know this is about payment, but I wish there was something like this for parents who turn in bogus reports for being let go, or them terminating for something they dont like.

I had a family whom i helped by bringing their child to preschool each day. She would whine and cry about not wanting to go to school because the kids made fun of her clothes and shoes. I told this to the parent and teacher, and just moved on. Well the child was going to start kindergarten so I figured i woudlnt have her anyway, but about a month after she was pulled ( with 2 week paid and a raving letter about how great it is here, etc) I had a visit from the state. Mom told them I told her daughter she couldnt wear her shoes that she loved and her shirt was ugly????? really!!???!
08-26-2011 10:20 AM
Unregistered i know this is old, but in the discussion that it is unethical to tell other providers about past clients, I didnt see where it is wrong or not wrong to tell fellow parents that a provider is bad. To me its the same, especially when its all heresay.
08-04-2011 05:43 PM
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I realize that this is an old post, but I'm coming across things like this while I surf the internet looking for HOW I file a complaint about my children's daycare. For starters, my children will NEVER go back to the daycare that they have attended for the last several years. I've put up with a lot...from ridiculously rude staff, catching staff members discussing me and my childcare assistance status with people who have no reason to know, head lice because the daycare won't send children home that have it, physically agressive children(to the point of bruising and bloodying my children)...it's just been an insane ride. I guess the only reason that I tolerate it is because the kids' grandma works in the daycare and I trust that she watches over them throughout the day for me.

Anyway, I found out yesterday that there was a young woman working in the daycare who was hired on permanently after she finished her time working there ON COMMUNITY SERVICE. Since when do daycares allow people who are on community service to have access to our children? Well, I found out yesterday that this young woman brought a bag of marijuana into the daycare and showed it to several members of the staff. Nobody called the police. I was horrified and disgusted. Apparently, the director even knew about this...yet did nothing...because the young lady's mother is on the daycare board. Needless to say, my children WILL NOT be going back to this daycare!
What state do you live in? Your IP reads Iowa.

Child Care Homes
These are homes that are not registered and by law can care for five or fewer children at the non-registered location. Iowa does not regulate these homes. If these homes care for five or more children at one time, they are required to be registered. A child is defined as being in child care and counted if one of the following describes that child's situation.


Infants and preschool children of the provider when their care and supervision is being provided at the child care location.
  • Infants and preschool children that are not the provider's children.
  • School age children that are not the provider's children, and are not considered to have a developmental disability as defined under federal law, are counted through age twelve.
  • School age children with a developmental disability, that are not the provider's children, are counted through age eighteen.
  • The school age children of the provider are counted in the total number of children when they regularly stay home for home-schooling. NOTE: The provider's school-age children are not counted during school breaks and days off of school when the provider's children regularly attend school.
If parents or the public have good reason to believe a non-registered child care home has more than five children in care at any one time, please report the problem to the local DHS office. The contact information for each local DHS office is available by clicking on this link, http://www.dhs.iowa.gov/Consumers/Find_Help/MapLocations.html.


Registered Child Development Homes
Parents choosing registered child development homes for child care and early education or school-aged child care should receive the "Parent Guide to Child Development Home Registration”, Form SS-0702-3. This guide provides a summary of the requirements for registration as a child development home. This guide and the “Child Development Home Registration Guidelines”, Comm. 143 can be found by clicking on this link, http://www.dhs.iowa.gov/policyanalysis/PolicyManualPages/Manual_Documents/Master/comm143.pdf.

If parents or the public have good reason to believe a child development home does not meet these requirements, please report the problem to the local DHS office. The contact information for each local DHS office is available at the following link, http://www.dhs.iowa.gov/Consumers/Find_Help/MapLocations.html.



Licensed Child Care Centers and Preschools
Parents choosing child care centers and preschools for child care and early education or school-aged child care should have access to “Child Care Centers and Preschool Licensing Standard and Procedures”, Comm. 204. at the child care center or preschool. This handbook contains the requirements for licensing and can also be found by clicking on this link, http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/policyanalysis/PolicyManualPages/Manual_Documents/Master/comm204.pdf.

If parents or the public have good reason to believe a center does not meet these requirements, please report the problem to child care consultant assigned to that center. Their name, mailing address, and telephone number is required to be posted in the center. The contact information for each child care consultant in Iowa, their contact information and the contact information for their supervisor and support staff is available at the following link, http://www.dhs.iowa.gov/docs/Daycare%20map.pdf.
08-04-2011 05:33 PM
Unregistered I realize that this is an old post, but I'm coming across things like this while I surf the internet looking for HOW I file a complaint about my children's daycare. For starters, my children will NEVER go back to the daycare that they have attended for the last several years. I've put up with a lot...from ridiculously rude staff, catching staff members discussing me and my childcare assistance status with people who have no reason to know, head lice because the daycare won't send children home that have it, physically agressive children(to the point of bruising and bloodying my children)...it's just been an insane ride. I guess the only reason that I tolerate it is because the kids' grandma works in the daycare and I trust that she watches over them throughout the day for me.

Anyway, I found out yesterday that there was a young woman working in the daycare who was hired on permanently after she finished her time working there ON COMMUNITY SERVICE. Since when do daycares allow people who are on community service to have access to our children? Well, I found out yesterday that this young woman brought a bag of marijuana into the daycare and showed it to several members of the staff. Nobody called the police. I was horrified and disgusted. Apparently, the director even knew about this...yet did nothing...because the young lady's mother is on the daycare board. Needless to say, my children WILL NOT be going back to this daycare!
04-01-2011 01:06 PM
Unregistered Really? Your Really crying that your kid has sand in her hair? I agree...get a bubble for your child!
04-01-2011 12:02 PM
Unregistered It is low, unethical and depending on what you say, illegal.

Violations of child and family privacy.

Slander.

Unprofessional.
04-01-2011 09:32 AM
dEHmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
Hello everyone, I am a concern parent. I don't know if any of you ever have this problem with your child's daycare or have any advice for me. I am concern about my child coming home everyday with sand in her head. she is two years old. Everday she comes she has sand on her face and in her head. I call the daycare, they said they have sand boxes and the children love to play in them. I told them I do not want my child to play in the sand, because it can get into her eyes. they said there's nothing they can do about it because its a requirement. what must I do? If I take her out of the daycare, I would have to continue paying the daycare until they find someone to replace my child. That what they said, but I dont remember reading anything like that.
umm....you might want to look into one of those big bubbles. I would be more concerned if my kid came home sparkling clean, and perfectly groomed as she was when I dropped her off. Would make me question what she did all day.
04-01-2011 09:28 AM
dEHmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And for daycares that call other daycares in the area, that is low and unethical.
how so?

If you don't make your credit card payment, ALL other financial institutions will be fully aware of this when they pull a bureau....


If you don't make your car payments... you will be up for repo, and it'll be on your bureau...

If you don't make your mortgage payments, same thing!

Why shouldn't us child care providers have some sort of information for the parents that are paying us to watch their child???

Why shouldn't we have some protection for our home, income, AND business???

Are we supposed to just accept every rotten parent that walks in the door?

I am not saying you are a rotten parent, and by the sounds of it, you have done nothing wrong, and took the proper steps. But there are many parents out there who refuse to pay a provider, and then when they lose their spot or are terminated, they turn around and try get revenge by shutting the provider down. How is that fair?

Good for you for doing what you needed to do to protect your child. And if they were willing to terminate you for that, then I would look at it as you are out of a very unsafe situation, and one door is shut, another will open. At least this happened BEFORE a serious injury or fatal injury occurred.




eta: FIDDLESTICKS! i have to learn to see the original dates! lol.
04-01-2011 09:12 AM
MsMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascare View Post
when your child comes home messy
red paint in the hair? Blue paint on the jeans?
Sand in the shoes? Peanut butter on a favorite shirt?
White socks that look brown? Sleeves a bit damp?

Your child probably....

Worked with a friend
solved a problem
created a masterpiece
negotiated a difference
learned a new skill
had a great time
developed new language skills

your child probably didn't....

Feel lonely
become bored
do a repetitive task that is babyish
do worksheets that are too easy
do sit down work that is discouraging


you probably....

Paid good money for those clothes
will have trouble getting the red paint out
are concerned the caregiver isn't paying enough attention to your child


your caregiver probably....

Was aware of your child's special needs and interests
spent time planning a challenging activity for the children
encouraged the children to try new things
was worried you might be concerned


young children really learn when they are actively involved in play...not when someone is talking to them. There is a difference between "messy" and "lack of care." your caregiver made sure your child was fed, warm, offered new skills and planned messy fun things to do because that's how your children learn!

Send your child in clothes that can get dirty! Keep extra clothes at the site for the times when the child gets really messy. But remember, your children need time to be kids.


~~~author unknown~~~
i love this
03-31-2011 10:54 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
I just saw it and posted there as well...
No need to

I had just noticed, too, as I was about to respond here....
03-31-2011 10:53 AM
jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Jen, she started another thread called Child Safety...did you see it?

I think she realized this one was 3 years old....
I just saw it and posted there as well...
03-31-2011 10:27 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
Find your contract, I'm sure there is a policy on removing your child from care. There is no way in the world that they can force you to continue to pay indefinitely.

If you don't want your child to play in the sand, by all means pull her. If you chose to continue in a group daycare situation, please be aware that your child needs to participate in group activities, which, as long as they are safe, you will have little say over...most daycares have sand boxes or go to the park where there is sand and dirt. If you want to avoid these things, you will most likely need to hire a nanny to stay home with her.

Nanny's are meant for Mom's like yourself that want to have more control over their childs day. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Jen, she started another thread called Child Safety...did you see it?

I think she realized this one was 3 years old....
03-31-2011 10:22 AM
jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
Hello everyone, I am a concern parent. I don't know if any of you ever have this problem with your child's daycare or have any advice for me. I am concern about my child coming home everyday with sand in her head. she is two years old. Everday she comes she has sand on her face and in her head. I call the daycare, they said they have sand boxes and the children love to play in them. I told them I do not want my child to play in the sand, because it can get into her eyes. they said there's nothing they can do about it because its a requirement. what must I do? If I take her out of the daycare, I would have to continue paying the daycare until they find someone to replace my child. That what they said, but I dont remember reading anything like that.
Find your contract, I'm sure there is a policy on removing your child from care. There is no way in the world that they can force you to continue to pay indefinitely.

If you don't want your child to play in the sand, by all means pull her. If you chose to continue in a group daycare situation, please be aware that your child needs to participate in group activities, which, as long as they are safe, you will have little say over...most daycares have sand boxes or go to the park where there is sand and dirt. If you want to avoid these things, you will most likely need to hire a nanny to stay home with her.

Nanny's are meant for Mom's like yourself that want to have more control over their childs day. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
03-31-2011 09:40 AM
texascare WHEN YOUR CHILD COMES HOME MESSY
Red paint in the hair? Blue paint on the jeans?
Sand in the shoes? Peanut butter on a favorite shirt?
White socks that look brown? Sleeves a bit damp?

YOUR CHILD PROBABLY....

worked with a friend
solved a problem
created a masterpiece
negotiated a difference
learned a new skill
had a great time
developed new language skills

YOUR CHILD PROBABLY DIDN'T....

feel lonely
become bored
do a repetitive task that is babyish
do worksheets that are too easy
do sit down work that is discouraging


YOU PROBABLY....

paid good money for those clothes
will have trouble getting the red paint out
are concerned the caregiver isn't paying enough attention to your child


YOUR CAREGIVER PROBABLY....

was aware of your child's special needs and interests
spent time planning a challenging activity for the children
encouraged the children to try new things
was worried you might be concerned


Young children really learn when they are actively involved in play...not when someone is talking to them. There is a difference between "messy" and "lack of care." Your caregiver made sure your child was fed, warm, offered new skills and planned messy fun things to do because that's how your children learn!

Send your child in clothes that can get dirty! Keep extra clothes at the site for the times when the child gets really messy. But remember, your children need time to be kids.


~~~Author Unknown~~~
03-31-2011 09:14 AM
cheerfuldom you're seriously complaining because your child has sand in their hair? well welcome to daycare, school and kids in general. Sorry but you need to get over it. Be glad your daycare has plenty of outdoor space and time to let your child run around and have fun. She will let them know if sand gets in her eyes. Nothing a little water rinse can't fix.
03-31-2011 08:50 AM
suzyQ Hello everyone, I am a concern parent. I don't know if any of you ever have this problem with your child's daycare or have any advice for me. I am concern about my child coming home everyday with sand in her head. she is two years old. Everday she comes she has sand on her face and in her head. I call the daycare, they said they have sand boxes and the children love to play in them. I told them I do not want my child to play in the sand, because it can get into her eyes. they said there's nothing they can do about it because its a requirement. what must I do? If I take her out of the daycare, I would have to continue paying the daycare until they find someone to replace my child. That what they said, but I dont remember reading anything like that.
11-30-2010 04:18 PM
Unregistered My son has seizers and the daycare know about this. My son has a two problems of showing himself. They said one more time and he is out even though he is getting help. Can they do that.
09-30-2010 07:15 PM
Unregistered Seriously everyone! This is not black and white! This person did what she felt she needed to do. Do you know the situation? Yes, most of you are providers and are biased!!!! I have been on both ends of this. I agree somewhat with what is in your responses but I know there are valid issues! It is not always a pleasant position to be in when you feel someone needs to step in. I do think talking is the best way. But there are PROVIDERS out there who are guilty! what if it was you in this situation? What if you tried talking, and talking, and you loved the childcare and the provider and the issue was out of concern for ALL the children in the facility??? Home daycare or school, or big daycare? Don't you realise that there are risks in just about any place? this person ( if she is being sincere and not just complaining, Should be able to get people to listen and get results). I care what happens to the children and employees. I understand perfectly the situation . Sometimes it is not about being dissatisfied with the quality of care but due to proceedures or bogus guidelines where there are other children causing dangerous or disruptive environments! The parent should not be dismissed because the other child is the one who should be removed. Or does that child have the right to continue as they are and maybe cause more then physical harm to several children... Because that is the guideline? It does happen. I have worked in many daycares, private and other. I have children in daycares now and am dealing with many issues because of their ideas on how to deal with disruptive and aggressive children. I am not a " whistle blower " but if someone feels that they need help and the state needs to check out the situation, why should they kick out the child as a solution? kinda makes them look bad!!! Especially if you consistantly witness these issues and episodes. But are told it is ( confidentiality ) if you inform your friend of their childs behaviors in the same class as your child. Then the providers tell you that they are not going to discuss other children .when you are the witness and they are getting paid to care for ALL the kids!!! Oh, and the state does help with many childcare services so they do need to stay on top of things. By law any witnessing or suspicion of neglect or abuse or danger is mandated reporting!
04-27-2010 03:55 PM
judytrickett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Part II: I'd like to know if the daycare provider can, after kicking you out citing other factors, call all the other daycare providers in town and tell them not to take you because you are a complainer?

You might be surprised how many local providers forums there are and YES, most of them have a special section where they will let other providers know about problem parents or those easy to report providers.
04-22-2010 08:53 PM
Unregistered My son was being put in an infant swing at age 11 months against my wishes....and against the manufacturer's recommendations for proper usage of the equipment. I talked to the director about the swing and about putting kids in a pack n play instead of the nice play area in the room. Turns out they had issues with the way the room was set up, but the director was in denial. She also said that no other parent complained about the swing. Even when I told her that a child that age is not recommended to be in the baby swing, she got gruffy and defended herself. Argh. She at least agreed to not put my son in the swing.

I immediately started looking for new daycare. I called the state to find out the rules for infant equipment, but did not file a complaint. But they went to the daycare anyway and my son was kicked out. There were some violations, but not for the improper use of infant equipment. Oh well.

And for daycares that call other daycares in the area, that is low and unethical.
03-19-2010 03:38 PM
Chickenhauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's not so simple just to say find another daycare. In our community there is a shortage of daycare and our providers know it. So they feel invincible and it's quite un-empowering for parents that want to make sure their children are receiving adequate care for the $$ we are paying for it.
You have plenty of empowerment...if you don't like the care being provided at this location, go to another. If none are available that fit your expectations, open your own.

Sounds to me like a business opportunity.




Quote:
There's a reason that the licensure process exists and that the complaints are SUPPOSSED to be confidential.
Yes, they are confidential, but it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to do the sleuthing of who was the guilty party in most cases.


Quote:
Also, inspectors due not issue violations on complaints alone. They INVESTIGATE and if they find something wrong they issue violations. If there is not merit to the complaint, then why would the daycare provider sweat it?
IDK if this is true in all states, but in many, even if there is no basis for the complaint, and no violation is discovered, that complaint remains upon the providers record INDEFINITELY.

Then you factor in the whole "guilty until proven innocent" thing, and you can begin to see why this is a concern.



Quote:
Part II: I'd like to know if the daycare provider can, after kicking you out citing other factors, call all the other daycare providers in town and tell them not to take you because you are a complainer?
Ethically, it's kinda low....but we have this thing called the First Amendment. That whole "freedom of speech" thing?
03-19-2010 01:04 PM
misol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Yes they're supposed to be confidential and a state agent will not tell a provider who filed a complaint but come on think about. A provider has children in care. Parent has a complaint about let's say "sleeping on the job" and talks to provider or just gives provider a look of disgust. Provider knows parent is upset. Provider for whatever reason does not satistfy parent and so parent files a complaint with state. State comes out and investigates and questions provider about "sleeping on the job". Um ... looks pretty obvious to me who the parent that made the complaint was without needing to be told by the state agent.



Providers "sweat it" because that's somebody telling you that you're not doing your job right. Let's say that you have a child and you hold a playdate. Then you hear from somebody that the playdates parent is criticizing your parenting skills. Would you want to host another playdate for that family? I know I wouldn't.

Providers "sweat it" because even though it is just an investigation it still counts on our records. Even if it unfounded and dismissed it still there. Other people look at that and say "Oh they have a complaint." and get iffy about whether or not to take their own child. Regardless of whether there was any truth to it or whether it was dropped. We "sweat it" because any complaint no matter how small counts. No matter if it was dropped or not, it counts. No matter if it was true or not, it counts. It is still on their records. Their credability is now questionable and so is their reputation.



As a provider I that networks with other providers in my area I would hope that if they had a client that called the state on them and that client could potentially come to me for childcare that I would be given a heads up. And yes, they can. Not that it would matter anyway since most providers check references anyway and would call your last provider and find out why you left anyway. That raises a flag and I'd immediately look up the incident and call licensing and ask about it to the agent that handled it. Then I'd make a decision. I have to say that unless it was something serious like child abuse, negligence, an incident where a child got seriously hurt or something then I'd deny the parent and not provide services. In other words ... it better be serious enough to call for the need and not just because you don't like the way I do something. My thinking is, what's going to happen when we don't see eye-to-eye in our own situation. I'd be too afraid to be firm in my beliefs for fear of being reported to licensing for something so I'd just flat out deny you to begin with.

You may think that it's unfair for a provider to call other providers and "warn" them about previous clients but think about it. Parent gets upset calls licensing. Parent is doing what they feel is right and protecting the children and wants other parents to be warned (record is public and can be viewed by anyone). In return provider has state called and feels the need to protect the provider network and so calls providers to "warn" about parent. Again, I am talking about calling licensing about smaller issues. "Sleeping on job" for example. How are you going to prove that s provider was sleeping? Unless you took a photo or something you can't. How is licensing going to prove that they slept on job? Unless their sleeping through the visit they can't. Proper steps? Change providers. If you still felt the need to file a complaint (because sleeping on the job could pose a safety risk) the smarter thing to do would be to find alternative care then call licensing. I just don't see any issue where you are willing to stay being serious enough to call licensing.

I mean if it was really that serious then no parent would have the need to want to stay with that provider. Licensing is for times of serious issues. If you wouldn't leave the provider then the issue isn't serious enough to call for a compaint to licensing. Need to stay because a shortage of daycares? Bull. I as a parent would NEVER take my child somewhere that I was not comfortable with. No matter what. The safety of my child overrides my need to have childcare.
Well said.
03-19-2010 11:02 AM
MarinaVanessa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There's a reason that the licensure process exists and that the complaints are SUPPOSSED to be confidential.
Yes they're supposed to be confidential and a state agent will not tell a provider who filed a complaint but come on think about. A provider has children in care. Parent has a complaint about let's say "sleeping on the job" and talks to provider or just gives provider a look of disgust. Provider knows parent is upset. Provider for whatever reason does not satistfy parent and so parent files a complaint with state. State comes out and investigates and questions provider about "sleeping on the job". Um ... looks pretty obvious to me who the parent that made the complaint was without needing to be told by the state agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Also, inspectors due not issue violations on complaints alone. They INVESTIGATE and if they find something wrong they issue violations. If there is not merit to the complaint, then why would the daycare provider sweat it?
Providers "sweat it" because that's somebody telling you that you're not doing your job right. Let's say that you have a child and you hold a playdate. Then you hear from somebody that the playdates parent is criticizing your parenting skills. Would you want to host another playdate for that family? I know I wouldn't.

Providers "sweat it" because even though it is just an investigation it still counts on our records. Even if it unfounded and dismissed it still there. Other people look at that and say "Oh they have a complaint." and get iffy about whether or not to take their own child. Regardless of whether there was any truth to it or whether it was dropped. We "sweat it" because any complaint no matter how small counts. No matter if it was dropped or not, it counts. No matter if it was true or not, it counts. It is still on their records. Their credability is now questionable and so is their reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
know if the daycare provider can, after kicking you out citing other factors, call all the other daycare providers in town and tell them not to take you because you are a complainer?
As a provider I that networks with other providers in my area I would hope that if they had a client that called the state on them and that client could potentially come to me for childcare that I would be given a heads up. And yes, they can. Not that it would matter anyway since most providers check references anyway and would call your last provider and find out why you left anyway. That raises a flag and I'd immediately look up the incident and call licensing and ask about it to the agent that handled it. Then I'd make a decision. I have to say that unless it was something serious like child abuse, negligence, an incident where a child got seriously hurt or something then I'd deny the parent and not provide services. In other words ... it better be serious enough to call for the need and not just because you don't like the way I do something. My thinking is, what's going to happen when we don't see eye-to-eye in our own situation. I'd be too afraid to be firm in my beliefs for fear of being reported to licensing for something so I'd just flat out deny you to begin with.

You may think that it's unfair for a provider to call other providers and "warn" them about previous clients but think about it. Parent gets upset calls licensing. Parent is doing what they feel is right and protecting the children and wants other parents to be warned (record is public and can be viewed by anyone). In return provider has state called and feels the need to protect the provider network and so calls providers to "warn" about parent. Again, I am talking about calling licensing about smaller issues. "Sleeping on job" for example. How are you going to prove that s provider was sleeping? Unless you took a photo or something you can't. How is licensing going to prove that they slept on job? Unless their sleeping through the visit they can't. Proper steps? Change providers. If you still felt the need to file a complaint (because sleeping on the job could pose a safety risk) the smarter thing to do would be to find alternative care then call licensing. I just don't see any issue where you are willing to stay being serious enough to call licensing.

I mean if it was really that serious then no parent would have the need to want to stay with that provider. Licensing is for times of serious issues. If you wouldn't leave the provider then the issue isn't serious enough to call for a compaint to licensing. Need to stay because a shortage of daycares? Bull. I as a parent would NEVER take my child somewhere that I was not comfortable with. No matter what. The safety of my child overrides my need to have childcare.
03-18-2010 05:13 PM
Unregistered Sorry mom for this trouble. I presume you thought the issue to report was bad enough to justify the report. And I hope you tried to discuss the issue with your provider. As a licensed provider, who has been served with a bogus report, I can tell you that in my community, this is what would happen. If you didn't first try to work it out with the provider and discuss the problem...by the end of the work day, every provider in my area would know there had been a report. You'd likely have to leave the community to find anyone licensed who would even interview you for a spot.

I think most parents just don't understand the trauma caused by a report. We are in fact, considered guilty until we prove ourselves innocent. In some cases, even bogus, we are closed until proven innocent. Imagine if you would, how your life would change if you were fired at 5:00 and no one in the city was allowed to hire you until you were proven innocent. That's what happens to us. We cannot legally provide care in that case. And unfortunately you are allowed to report anonymously. Fortunately, providers almost always know who it was as soon as we hear the report. But we can't face our accuser in a court of law.

I wish you well.
03-15-2010 03:12 PM
Carole's Daycare Agreed. I pulled my daughter from a childcare (14 ys ago) when I was uncomfortable with the safety/quality of care, and I notified the licensor of my concerns. I did not go back... In that case, I had gotten of work early unexpectedly, and so arrived a couple of hours early- excited to get to spend extra daytime with my daughter at the park. When I arrived she was ALONE (at age 3)outside the yard playing in the street with no provider in sight. I put my daughter in car, and went to door- provider was watching TV and not even aware she was missing. Immediately provider complained about/began blaming child etc....
I agree with previous poster- if the problem is that the centers menus don't accomodate your picky eater, maybe even your child has a classmate that's aggressive, any number of things that can and should be discussed between parent and provider, the state shouldn't be called over that minor stuff. On the other hand- if you know there are violations or concerns affecting safety etc, not only should you report, you should, in interest of safety, pull your child from care.
03-03-2010 01:10 PM
mikew I would never take my kid back to a place that i had to complain to the local govt. about....EVER!
02-28-2010 11:37 AM
melskids as a provider, yes, if i found out you made a complaint to the state about me, you would be looking for alternate care. my parents know that at ANY time, if they have a problem, they can come to me to discuss it.

Now, as a parent, if there was a complaint bad enough to warrant calling the state, there would be no way my child would be going back there again.

there's a BIG diffenence between turning in "the provider doesnt change childs diaper enough" or "i dont like the food provider serves" and "provider hits/abuses/neglects child"
02-28-2010 07:13 AM
Liliya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand why one would complain to the state licensure entity if issues were addressed and left unresolved or if primary care provider was out of the country when issues with staff occurred (only one staff present and sleeping on the floor with a dozen kids that should be being supervised). It's not so simple just to say find another daycare. In our community there is a shortage of daycare and our providers know it. So they feel invincible and it's quite un-empowering for parents that want to make sure their children are receiving adequate care for the $$ we are paying for it. There's a reason that the licensure process exists and that the complaints are SUPPOSSED to be confidential. Also, inspectors due not issue violations on complaints alone. They INVESTIGATE and if they find something wrong they issue violations. If there is not merit to the complaint, then why would the daycare provider sweat it?

Part II: I'd like to know if the daycare provider can, after kicking you out citing other factors, call all the other daycare providers in town and tell them not to take you because you are a complainer?
I am provider, and I ask my potential clients if child attended childcare before,and if they say yes, I ask where he went and why they left. Then, I call the provider and ask a same question ,why that child left? and if provider tells me ,child was super,but mama was complainer. I would not accept you.
02-27-2010 10:43 PM
jen If a parent of mine made a complaint to the state they would definitely be looking for alternative care...
02-27-2010 02:08 PM
Persephone I agree if you had a problem I would have been looking for other care.

I'm wondering what the complaint was and how they knew it was you that told?
02-27-2010 10:15 AM
Unregistered I understand why one would complain to the state licensure entity if issues were addressed and left unresolved or if primary care provider was out of the country when issues with staff occurred (only one staff present and sleeping on the floor with a dozen kids that should be being supervised). It's not so simple just to say find another daycare. In our community there is a shortage of daycare and our providers know it. So they feel invincible and it's quite un-empowering for parents that want to make sure their children are receiving adequate care for the $$ we are paying for it. There's a reason that the licensure process exists and that the complaints are SUPPOSSED to be confidential. Also, inspectors due not issue violations on complaints alone. They INVESTIGATE and if they find something wrong they issue violations. If there is not merit to the complaint, then why would the daycare provider sweat it?

Part II: I'd like to know if the daycare provider can, after kicking you out citing other factors, call all the other daycare providers in town and tell them not to take you because you are a complainer?
07-22-2008 08:25 PM
Unregistered It's all in the contract-if they don't have it in there they best be putting it in there-ex--my states-If your child hurts another, meaning, another child, my dogs, my helpers, or myself, that requires medical attention, this child will be terminated the day of. If I see fit, that a child needs to be removed for any other reason, a conference will be held to resolve the issues. If nothing is resolved, then a two week notice will be given for the removal of the child. If a child is asked to be removed before the two weeks is over-I PAY what days are left of the two weeks. (Advise from a daycare lawyer-)
I just had a issue like this-but it wasn't the child-it was the parent who was out of line-I just gave a written two weeks-shook hands and said good luck and so be it-I have other children and myself to worry about as well-
05-27-2008 07:32 AM
mac60 I agree with these ladies. Why would you make a complaint, then complain they don't want you anymore. Just doesn't make sense.
05-26-2008 11:05 PM
pingaa3 WHy would you even take your child back to a place you filed a complaint about?
05-23-2008 07:40 AM
crazycat97306 As a provider I would not want a child in my daycare if the parents thought it necessary to make a complaint with the state. I want parents who are open and willing to talk to me about any complaints they may have. This way we could work it out.
As a parent I would not continue to take my child somewhere I felt was bad enough that I had to make a formal complaint to the state. Why would you make a complaint and then keep taking your child there?
02-14-2008 04:50 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
i have a question? i filed a complaint against my child care provider. today i was told the state was there on the complaint and not to bring my child back. can they do this?

yes... Parents have a choice to terminate childcare services with their daycare provider & the provider can do the same, normally I would think the provider would do this in circumstances where thier is conflict in the daycare that the provider & parent was not able to resolve or accomodate a parents schedule. But yes they can stop your childcare services. I donot recommend it, it ia not good business. But if you have complained against your childcare provider, why are you upset that they have terminated your services, obviously you are dissatisfied about your childcare services. If you had to go as far as call the state, why would you want your child to go back?
01-23-2008 08:49 AM
Unregistered If this was a home daycare, as a provider I would not want ANY child in my care that the parents thought the need to turn me into the state. If there is a problem, then the parents should of talked with the provider so the issue could be addressed.
01-09-2008 10:57 PM
Unregistered I guess it would matter what the complaint was about. Since the daycare is a business I suppose they can render service to whom they chose. Make sure they give you back any money due. You also may want to check with your state's licesning agency about this tactic. They may also be discriminating if you fall under a "whistle blower" provision.

http://www.daycare.com/states.html
01-08-2008 02:38 PM
Unregistered i have a question? i filed a complaint against my child care provider. today i was told the state was there on the complaint and not to bring my child back. can they do this?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming