Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum > Venting Thread

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Thread: Venting Thread Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Random Question
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
Yesterday 09:58 AM
springvalley112
Here's my week:
Tuesday, child got mad and bullied the other children so they had to sit in timeout and proceeded to cuss the teacher, hit and anything they could possibly think of so parent was called and talked to the child and was told if they was called again it would be a 30 day suspension because this has been going on for at least six months. And owner has had a meeting with the child's parent and tried to work on a solution and it went well. Parent also contacted a mental health specialist and the child has gone twice and we asked what happened at the second appointment and parent said they suggested taking toys away, timeout and other methods of discipline which we do but doesn't work. Tuesday afternoon, parent got called during rest time because child was acting up and parent came and got child and the administrator was sitting at the desk and didn't remind parent of what was said at the meeting regarding two calls and a 30 day suspension and she came in thursday and brought child and administrator was off and got told that he couldn't stay because he was suspended and mom stated that she was never told that on tuesday and that if she had known she would've made alternate arrangements for care because she has to work. Our administrator was sitting on her tail and didn't proceed to talk to the parent face to face. It was rude and very disrespectful and this isn't the first time she has been like this towards parents or other employees.
Yesterday 07:33 AM
CeridwenLynne I just need to rant here. Yesterday was one of my roughest days in the 4 years I have been teaching 3-4 year olds at a center. First of all five of the children didn’t sleep or even rest during naptime. One child had been given a new medicine that morning and one of the side effects is insomnia and hyperactivity. He was nervous and jittery all morning and during nap/rest time I couldn’t get him to lie still or even be quiet. Four other children did not nap and three of them were restless and moving about on their cots, kicking their feet up in the air, playing with their pillows, and asking me when it would be time to get up. I was so busy trying to keep the child who was having the reaction to the medicine relaxed and on his cot that I had to basically tune out the other noise and hope the non nappers didn’t wake others up. I have a couple of kids who really need a nap and sleep the entire two hours. It might not have been as bad if I hadn’t had a sub with me. She didn’t know much about preschoolers as she works in the young toddler room. After rest time I thought things might get better but the children were noisy, one of them got mad and spilled his juice on purpose, and girl drama so bad in the home living center that I had to close it down. To make matters worse I had a headache so the noise bothered me. Normally I have a high tolerance for noise as long as they are not being mean to each other or shouting. I was talking with a parent and I couldn’t really hear them because a group of kids in the block area were being loud so I had to say excuse me for a minute to the parent and turn around and tell my class that they needed to use inside voices. At the end of the day when all the classes combine in one room ( fifteen minutes before closing) a toddler amused herself by dumping out several tubs of toys while I was tying a little girls shoes. Sorry for the long rant but yesterday was rough.
01-17-2020 09:43 AM
Snowmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
Dck (not potty trained AT ALL) shows up in underwear today because according to dcm "she refused to wear a pull-up this morning."



I'll never understand some parents.
5 minutes before pick up, I think you should change her back into her underwear.
Tell mom: "She went through 6 diapers today but she knew you were coming to pick her up and she told me mom said she doesn't have to wear diapers at home, so I changed her back into her underwear for you."
01-17-2020 09:08 AM
CountryRoads Dck (not potty trained AT ALL) shows up in underwear today because according to dcm "she refused to wear a pull-up this morning."



I'll never understand some parents.
01-17-2020 06:23 AM
CeridwenLynne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You didn't allow it did you?

Oye~ These parents......
I wouldn’t have but as soon as mom mentioned Walmart he wanted to go with her.

Maybe he always gets a toy at Wally World.
01-16-2020 08:43 AM
284878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core12 View Post
Months ago I was given a deposit for a child to start in a few months...still need to get the contract from dcm.
I am acquainted with the child’s mother from an old high school friend. The mother is a single 19 yr-old college student. Dcm asked if we took assistance, I told her, “no,” bc I don’t want one more piece of paperwork to do. (Or waiting for payment or one more regulation). DCM said the child’s father would call me soon regarding our daycare and if I had any issues to let her know.
Father called yesterday during lunch wanting a tour. I asked if everything was ok bc dcm has already given deposit to come to daycare. He said everything was fine just wanted to see our home.
Dcd shows up in a newer Range Rover. He is wearing an Apple Watch and expensive clothes and shoes. He asked our price....I explained $175/week for infants. He was visibly irritated and asked if we took assistance, I explained we did not. He said he was going to let dcm know that he knows she is trying “to get money out of him” bc she told him he could just pay her $400/month and that is not half of the daycare cost. He also said he wasn’t on the birth certificate and therefore wasn’t required by law to pay child support. Also stated he gave up a basketball scholarship in another state after he learned he was going to be a dad and now is going to a local college and working full time.
I said “oh, that’s nice maybe you could play basketball at a college around here and then be able to be with your son.”
He said, “ I won’t be able to work full time and pay Daycare if I play basketball.” Grrr
He seemed like he wasn’t impressed and that we were over valuing our business.
Before he left, he said, “I’ll need a copy of the contract and I will give you a check for my own records vs giving money to dcm.
I need the money but I know this is going to be an ordeal.
I’m going to make sure that dcm signs contract and that dcd is listed as a person to pickup dcb. I’m now wondering is it ok if I just give him a contract without moms signature? Not that he even needs it.

I do a separate contract from the policy book. He might be asking to see the policies. If yours are all in one, try only printing the policy portions.

Or

Tell DCd that only parents that sign the contract get a copy. That you will be giving a copy to dcm.

That if he is willing to sign, then you would be happy to give him a copy.

From my experience it is best to get them both to sign, I had a DCd try to pull when he didn't sign. I didn't want to deal with the mess, so I termed DCM.
01-16-2020 08:37 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne View Post
I had a 4yo who threw a huge fit when mom came to pick him up because he wanted to stay and play. So mommy asks him if he wanted to stay with his friends and Ms. Ceri while she went to Walmart. Really? And this is the same mom who sent him to school in flip flops one day because she couldn’t get him to put on his shoes.
You didn't allow it did you?

Oye~ These parents......
01-16-2020 08:31 AM
CeridwenLynne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
Why do kids act up so bad when their parents are here??

They can be good all day, then as soon as they see their mom/dad they lose their minds. They break my rules (which they can follow all day), they don't listen and then I have to step in and parent because their actual parents can't do it themselves - which then leads to crying, screaming, etc.

What makes it worse is the parents try to reason with them. Please, just grab your kid and get out!!

Drives me crazy
I had a 4yo who threw a huge fit when mom came to pick him up because he wanted to stay and play. So mommy asks him if he wanted to stay with his friends and Ms. Ceri while she went to Walmart. Really? And this is the same mom who sent him to school in flip flops one day because she couldn’t get him to put on his shoes.
01-15-2020 08:38 AM
Msdunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
Poor baby

But good for you! Imagine if you allowed her to come and then she ended up in the hospital. It probably would've been blamed on you and the daycare.

I had a dcg on oxygen for almost 2 weeks last year because of RSV. When she could come back, dcm let me know that dcg could not get sick again right away due to her immune system being compromised. As if it was my job to make sure that dcg didn't get sick I told dcm that it was out of my control, so it was at her own discretion.

Looking back, I wish I would've told her that dcg couldn't return until she was 100%. If she would have gotten sick again, I know I would've been blamed. Just a heads up for when your dck comes back!
Thanks for the heads up. The problem with this family if the parents aren't always truthful about how sick their kids really are. So she would most likely bring her even if she is still sick. I will have to be extra diligent. I am typing up a letter for mom, outlining a stricter illness policy and possible termination for deception. I don't really know what else to do.
01-15-2020 08:07 AM
CountryRoads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
Just read a Facebook post by mom of infant who gave me a hard time last Friday when I asked her to keep baby and sister home this week when baby was diagnosed with RSV. I haven't heard from her since her "this is really a hardship" reply. Fast forward to today's (Wednesday) post - apparantly baby has been in the hospital since Saturday, on oxygen, with RSV, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Still nothing from mom. I feel so bad for that baby, but do feel validated that my opinion wasn't wrong last week. I worried FAR too much over that decision.
Poor baby

But good for you! Imagine if you allowed her to come and then she ended up in the hospital. It probably would've been blamed on you and the daycare.

I had a dcg on oxygen for almost 2 weeks last year because of RSV. When she could come back, dcm let me know that dcg could not get sick again right away due to her immune system being compromised. As if it was my job to make sure that dcg didn't get sick I told dcm that it was out of my control, so it was at her own discretion.

Looking back, I wish I would've told her that dcg couldn't return until she was 100%. If she would have gotten sick again, I know I would've been blamed. Just a heads up for when your dck comes back!
01-15-2020 07:58 AM
Msdunny Just read a Facebook post by mom of infant who gave me a hard time last Friday when I asked her to keep baby and sister home this week when baby was diagnosed with RSV. I haven't heard from her since her "this is really a hardship" reply. Fast forward to today's (Wednesday) post - apparantly baby has been in the hospital since Saturday, on oxygen, with RSV, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Still nothing from mom. I feel so bad for that baby, but do feel validated that my opinion wasn't wrong last week. I worried FAR too much over that decision.
01-15-2020 04:18 AM
Core12 Months ago I was given a deposit for a child to start in a few months...still need to get the contract from dcm.
I am acquainted with the child’s mother from an old high school friend. The mother is a single 19 yr-old college student. Dcm asked if we took assistance, I told her, “no,” bc I don’t want one more piece of paperwork to do. (Or waiting for payment or one more regulation). DCM said the child’s father would call me soon regarding our daycare and if I had any issues to let her know.
Father called yesterday during lunch wanting a tour. I asked if everything was ok bc dcm has already given deposit to come to daycare. He said everything was fine just wanted to see our home.
Dcd shows up in a newer Range Rover. He is wearing an Apple Watch and expensive clothes and shoes. He asked our price....I explained $175/week for infants. He was visibly irritated and asked if we took assistance, I explained we did not. He said he was going to let dcm know that he knows she is trying “to get money out of him” bc she told him he could just pay her $400/month and that is not half of the daycare cost. He also said he wasn’t on the birth certificate and therefore wasn’t required by law to pay child support. Also stated he gave up a basketball scholarship in another state after he learned he was going to be a dad and now is going to a local college and working full time.
I said “oh, that’s nice maybe you could play basketball at a college around here and then be able to be with your son.”
He said, “ I won’t be able to work full time and pay Daycare if I play basketball.” Grrr
He seemed like he wasn’t impressed and that we were over valuing our business.
Before he left, he said, “I’ll need a copy of the contract and I will give you a check for my own records vs giving money to dcm.
I need the money but I know this is going to be an ordeal.
I’m going to make sure that dcm signs contract and that dcd is listed as a person to pickup dcb. I’m now wondering is it ok if I just give him a contract without moms signature? Not that he even needs it.
01-13-2020 01:01 PM
Ac114 DCG (5) had tonsils, adnoids and tubes replaced in her ears on Jan 3rd. Was out all week and returned today on a soft food only diet but mom didn’t bring any foods for her to eat. I only found out from DCG that she can only have soft foods for the next week. Why on earth would a parent not tell me this and why on earth would you not provide some things for you child to eat. I was so unprepared for this today and not happy about it.
01-13-2020 05:54 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay View Post
please tell me why parents give me pictures of their kids?????????????????

Im with them more than they are!!!!!!

&$%#!!
Oh my goodness poor you! I used to get pics and videos moments after a parent left my house having been with their kid for 10 hours.
01-13-2020 05:44 AM
Ariana Teacher mom comes in at 7:15am with kid. “I am staying home today, we had Dominos last night and my stomach is so bad”. Then proceeds to stand in my porch talking AT me for 20 minutes

I literally started walking away and she was still talking as I was halfway up the stairs. Ridiculous.
01-09-2020 07:17 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
Why do kids act up so bad when their parents are here??

They can be good all day, then as soon as they see their mom/dad they lose their minds. They break my rules (which they can follow all day), they don't listen and then I have to step in and parent because their actual parents can't do it themselves - which then leads to crying, screaming, etc.

What makes it worse is the parents try to reason with them. Please, just grab your kid and get out!!

Drives me crazy
Just practice saying that...


"Hey mom/dad, since you aren't going to enforce my rules, please take Johnny and go to the car. I'll see you in the morning."

I've found that calling them out pushes them to parent their kid or leave quickly....either way it's a win for me.


If the kids are old enough (3+) I also have a reward chart for those kids that are well behaved at pick up. They get to choose their activity first the next day etc... positive re-enforcement for their good behavior the night before. That helps alot...especially for those kids that are motivated by rewards.
01-09-2020 07:13 AM
CountryRoads Why do kids act up so bad when their parents are here??

They can be good all day, then as soon as they see their mom/dad they lose their minds. They break my rules (which they can follow all day), they don't listen and then I have to step in and parent because their actual parents can't do it themselves - which then leads to crying, screaming, etc.

What makes it worse is the parents try to reason with them. Please, just grab your kid and get out!!

Drives me crazy
12-30-2019 06:09 PM
284878 DCM text me Sunday night, Can the kids come an hour early in the morning. They normally come around 11 but are contracted for earlier. I said OK since it was not earlier than the contract.
DCM comes in and says that she was heading to the hospital to visit a friend. I comment that it makes sense to do it just before work, assuming that was why she needed an extra hour.
Nope, she has the day off. Oh the older dcb has a cold.
12-20-2019 01:40 PM
Jociheart I've had 3 cups of coffee today and I'm still EXHAUSTED
12-20-2019 01:02 PM
AmyKidsCo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay View Post
please tell me why parents give me pictures of their kids?????????????????

Im with them more than they are!!!!!!

&$%#!!
No kidding!!

Yesterday was our Christmas Party. It was a rare day when EVERYONE napped. Late. I had to wake them up so we'd have time to do special snack before first pick ups. Today only 2 of 7 are sleeping, 1 is quietly looking at books, baby is fussy, the other 3 are rolling around with their books to stay awake. But the parents will be happy they can put the kids to bed early.
12-20-2019 10:41 AM
Ms.Kay please tell me why parents give me pictures of their kids?????????????????

Im with them more than they are!!!!!!

&$%#!!
12-20-2019 08:08 AM
Jupadia My kid was nice enough to wake us up last night, poor thing had to throw up. So hope it's only a 24 hour bug and not the flu. Now he is missing his pajama day at school and his class party. He dose get to spend the day at Nana's and Papa's so he should have some fun. I realy hope none of the rest of us get it from my other guy to the daycare kids and us grownups in the house.
12-20-2019 07:23 AM
Snowmom Influenza outbreak in our schools (literally over 40% of the school pop).

Confirmed Influenza case in my daycare. 2 other kids out with likely symptoms too. Informed all families last night of the confirmed case here.

Still have the rest showing up! Bright and early AND ALL 3 ARE NOT WORKING. Wth? One even has a brand new baby at home. I don't get it.

Lysol is my friend today.
12-19-2019 09:53 AM
Baby Beluga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
New word art sign to put out when decorating for Christmas:

Thinking of trying to negotiate my rates because of the Christmas holidays?

Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
12-19-2019 08:38 AM
Leigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This time of year definitely brings out the "best" in parents

My newest family says to me "Since we are paying for the Christmas vacation closure but won't be returning until another week after you re-open would it be a good compromise if we didn't pay for that second week?"

Um, compromise? I didn't realize the "fees are due 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance or time used" policy was up for debate.

There is nothing to compromise.


Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
New word art sign to put out when decorating for Christmas:

Thinking of trying to negotiate my rates because of the Christmas holidays?

Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
12-18-2019 11:32 AM
Ms.Kay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jociheart View Post
This has been the longest week everrrrrrrr. Three more full days of kiddos until my 9 day break. We've never taken a full week off for Christmas at our center before, but I made the call this year. I cant wait to relax! But of course the kiddos have been insane this week.
It is longest week ever!!!! My kids have cabin fever already ...we go from pouring rain to sub zero wind chills!!!!! 4 days...4 days....and Monday was gonna be a light day.....now parents are txting me..." they need to get stuff done" can kids come? oye!!
12-18-2019 09:17 AM
Jociheart This has been the longest week everrrrrrrr. Three more full days of kiddos until my 9 day break. We've never taken a full week off for Christmas at our center before, but I made the call this year. I cant wait to relax! But of course the kiddos have been insane this week.
12-17-2019 01:30 PM
AmyKidsCo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Figures.

I always get families giving their notice this time of year and daycare hop to the next one after New Years to try and get out of paying for Christmas/New Years.
Happens every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
That is why I started giving "discounts" for closures and rolling up tuition to cover them (25 days total) over the other 50 weeks. I also make extra the years I decide to stay open a day or two here and there. It works for me.
That's kind of what I do - I pro-rate my vacation weeks into the other weeks (they pay for 52 weeks in 49 payments) and they don't give me a check the weeks I'm closed. If someone leaves before Christmas or vacation I don't care because I've already been paid for it. Unless they haven't been with me a full year, and if they can't stick out a full year it's probably better they're gone anyway.
12-17-2019 10:47 AM
Annalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This time of year definitely brings out the "best" in parents

My newest family says to me "Since we are paying for the Christmas vacation closure but won't be returning until another week after you re-open would it be a good compromise if we didn't pay for that second week?"

Um, compromise? I didn't realize the "fees are due 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance or time used" policy was up for debate.

There is nothing to compromise.


Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
And I don’t see this way of thinking getting better. Some text I get lately make me want to start drinking and I’ve never drank in my life My mamaw has some pain reliever cream and I told her I was gonna start eating that due to my daysbeing so crazy lately
12-17-2019 09:53 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
So true.
I wised up and put in a clause a few years ago: Any notice given between October 1st-December 31st will need to pay for the Christmas break before their enrollment fee is applied to the final notice period or the initial enrollment fee is forfeited (equal to two weeks pay).

They always seem to forget about it and try it anyway. Right around Thanksgiving.

But, at least I get paid for Christmas.
Brilliant. That never occurred to me.

My vent: I am going to have a horrible afternoon. It is about 15 minutes until our normal lunchtime and we have already eaten and are down for a nap. I had no real choice. Everyone is exhausted from the severe weather last night, most have been up since 3 am with only intermittent sleep. They are all going to think they are here hours late, too. Yay.
12-17-2019 09:45 AM
Jupadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
DCM types up a long messages about the days she has off during Christmas break and how much she owes and wants to make sure it’s correct, of course leaving out my paid holidays. This is her 3rd Christmas here and has paid for all of my paid holidays since day one but claimed ignorance on this.

Sorry mom, I wasn’t going to let that slide. You still owe me for my paid holidays just like every other time.

It’s the season!
I've got a memo written out for my patents this year. Two are newer and I've not taken vacation with them here. I charge for stat days but not my own vacation days. This year I've got a mix of both during the holidays. Stat days are 25, 26, 1. But I'm taking the 27, 30, 31 off as well for vacation to give myself a week. The notes break it down for parents, so they can tell easy.
12-17-2019 09:42 AM
Snowmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This time of year definitely brings out the "best" in parents

My newest family says to me "Since we are paying for the Christmas vacation closure but won't be returning until another week after you re-open would it be a good compromise if we didn't pay for that second week?"

Um, compromise? I didn't realize the "fees are due 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance or time used" policy was up for debate.

There is nothing to compromise.


Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
Baffles the mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Every year. They all think they invented it, too.

That is why I started giving "discounts" for closures and rolling up tuition to cover them (25 days total) over the other 50 weeks. I also make extra the years I decide to stay open a day or two here and there. It works for me.
So true.
I wised up and put in a clause a few years ago: Any notice given between October 1st-December 31st will need to pay for the Christmas break before their enrollment fee is applied to the final notice period or the initial enrollment fee is forfeited (equal to two weeks pay).

They always seem to forget about it and try it anyway. Right around Thanksgiving.

But, at least I get paid for Christmas.
12-17-2019 09:07 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Figures.

I always get families giving their notice this time of year and daycare hop to the next one after New Years to try and get out of paying for Christmas/New Years.
Happens every year.
Every year. They all think they invented it, too.

That is why I started giving "discounts" for closures and rolling up tuition to cover them (25 days total) over the other 50 weeks. I also make extra the years I decide to stay open a day or two here and there. It works for me.
12-17-2019 08:50 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Figures.

I always get families giving their notice this time of year and daycare hop to the next one after New Years to try and get out of paying for Christmas/New Years.
Happens every year.
This time of year definitely brings out the "best" in parents

My newest family says to me "Since we are paying for the Christmas vacation closure but won't be returning until another week after you re-open would it be a good compromise if we didn't pay for that second week?"

Um, compromise? I didn't realize the "fees are due 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance or time used" policy was up for debate.

There is nothing to compromise.


Fa la la la laaaaa La la la NO!!
12-17-2019 08:41 AM
Unregistered Mom 1 is told she’s almost out of the (overnight) diapers she brought and the ones in the bag are too small. Response? She’s trying to use them up. Seriously?!? They are too small! I am not putting them on him. Period.

Mom 2 had messaged via app four times and her mother in law via Facebook once. Mom asked if she was still asleep. Nope. Currently eating. Woke right after you left. “What was she doing until then? Playing?” Well she’s three and half months old so there are limited options. What do you think she’s doing?

Mom 3 has done plant based and informed me her child only drinks almond milk. Cool! I only provide whole and 1% but you’re welcome to bring her some!

I’m gonna have to bite my tongue in half today.
12-17-2019 08:17 AM
Snowmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
DCM types up a long messages about the days she has off during Christmas break and how much she owes and wants to make sure it’s correct, of course leaving out my paid holidays. This is her 3rd Christmas here and has paid for all of my paid holidays since day one but claimed ignorance on this.

Sorry mom, I wasn’t going to let that slide. You still owe me for my paid holidays just like every other time.

It’s the season!
Figures.

I always get families giving their notice this time of year and daycare hop to the next one after New Years to try and get out of paying for Christmas/New Years.
Happens every year.
12-17-2019 06:18 AM
Ac114 DCM types up a long messages about the days she has off during Christmas break and how much she owes and wants to make sure it’s correct, of course leaving out my paid holidays. This is her 3rd Christmas here and has paid for all of my paid holidays since day one but claimed ignorance on this.

Sorry mom, I wasn’t going to let that slide. You still owe me for my paid holidays just like every other time.

It’s the season!
12-14-2019 09:07 AM
BumbleBee Sent out a group text this week requesting schedules for the 3 days daycare is open over Christmas break. I sent this text after 8 reminders of dates closed beginning in January with the last reminder sent a week ago.

That parent texts back: "what about the other days of break? You're not closed, are you???"

She got screen shots of all 8 reminders with dates sent & her responses to all of them.
12-14-2019 05:34 AM
284878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazy View Post
It's Friday the 13th and while I am not really superstitious today just may live up to it's hype!

Dcd, thank you for giving me one look this morning then asking if I am ok today! I double checked myself in the mirror and I look just like I always look. Maybe you saw a slight look of irritation on my face because your child is here today? We are in the middle of an ice storm with the potential of power outages. His mother is home on maternity leave. Why did you not just keep him home instead of out in the weather. If the power goes out she will have to come out with the baby and get him. UGH!

Maybe I look tired to you? Because you know.....I have your child 9 1/2 hours a day Mon-Fri. Even while Mom is home on maternity leave! Maybe I look tired because my allergies are crazy right now and I had to get up and take care of your kid when he could be at home. Maybe I am tired because I didn't get a vacation this year because every time I mentioned taking a day off so I could have a long weekend it was a hassle. (yes that's my fault. I am too nice)

Sorry to rant but I am TIRED! Dck is a handful with some issues that no one wants to address and it's been a very long year. I need a vacation!
** For the record I am not a daycare. I have no desire to be. I keep kids for neighbors and friends because my children are grown and I spend a lot of time alone. I need something to occupy my time and I love having littles around. I started keeping kids to help out the son of my parent's best friends years ago and it's just gone on from there. They left and another friend asked. They left and the son of another friend asked, etc. One family at a time usually. They come to my home and are treated like family. I do the same things during the day that I did with my kids, cook meals, do laundry and dishes, etc. We do lots of crafts and activities, play outside, learn constantly but not in a "daycare" type setting."
You are a day care whether you like it or not. Everything in bold above is what a home day care provider does.
12-13-2019 09:54 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
My FCC friend has a teacher mom who's posting on FB looking for a sitter for 12/23 because "daycare is closed and we don't have any more days off." The mom has been at the program 4 years and the closed dates are always the same, and mom is taking off 12/20 to finish getting ready for Christmas.
Why are they all the same?!!
12-13-2019 07:30 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazy View Post
It's Friday the 13th and while I am not really superstitious today just may live up to it's hype!

Dcd, thank you for giving me one look this morning then asking if I am ok today! I double checked myself in the mirror and I look just like I always look. Maybe you saw a slight look of irritation on my face because your child is here today? We are in the middle of an ice storm with the potential of power outages. His mother is home on maternity leave. Why did you not just keep him home instead of out in the weather. If the power goes out she will have to come out with the baby and get him. UGH!

Maybe I look tired to you? Because you know.....I have your child 9 1/2 hours a day Mon-Fri. Even while Mom is home on maternity leave! Maybe I look tired because my allergies are crazy right now and I had to get up and take care of your kid when he could be at home. Maybe I am tired because I didn't get a vacation this year because every time I mentioned taking a day off so I could have a long weekend it was a hassle. (yes that's my fault. I am too nice)

Sorry to rant but I am TIRED! Dck is a handful with some issues that no one wants to address and it's been a very long year. I need a vacation!
** For the record I am not a daycare. I have no desire to be. I keep kids for neighbors and friends because my children are grown and I spend a lot of time alone. I need something to occupy my time and I love having littles around. I started keeping kids to help out the son of my parent's best friends years ago and it's just gone on from there. They left and another friend asked. They left and the son of another friend asked, etc. One family at a time usually. They come to my home and are treated like family. I do the same things during the day that I did with my kids, cook meals, do laundry and dishes, etc. We do lots of crafts and activities, play outside, learn constantly but not in a "daycare" type setting."
12-13-2019 07:02 AM
gonecrazy It's Friday the 13th and while I am not really superstitious today just may live up to it's hype!

Dcd, thank you for giving me one look this morning then asking if I am ok today! I double checked myself in the mirror and I look just like I always look. Maybe you saw a slight look of irritation on my face because your child is here today? We are in the middle of an ice storm with the potential of power outages. His mother is home on maternity leave. Why did you not just keep him home instead of out in the weather. If the power goes out she will have to come out with the baby and get him. UGH!

Maybe I look tired to you? Because you know.....I have your child 9 1/2 hours a day Mon-Fri. Even while Mom is home on maternity leave! Maybe I look tired because my allergies are crazy right now and I had to get up and take care of your kid when he could be at home. Maybe I am tired because I didn't get a vacation this year because every time I mentioned taking a day off so I could have a long weekend it was a hassle. (yes that's my fault. I am too nice)

Sorry to rant but I am TIRED! Dck is a handful with some issues that no one wants to address and it's been a very long year. I need a vacation!
** For the record I am not a daycare. I have no desire to be. I keep kids for neighbors and friends because my children are grown and I spend a lot of time alone. I need something to occupy my time and I love having littles around. I started keeping kids to help out the son of my parent's best friends years ago and it's just gone on from there. They left and another friend asked. They left and the son of another friend asked, etc. One family at a time usually. They come to my home and are treated like family. I do the same things during the day that I did with my kids, cook meals, do laundry and dishes, etc. We do lots of crafts and activities, play outside, learn constantly but not in a "daycare" type setting."
12-12-2019 06:33 PM
Ariana A few weeks back I did a milestone assessment of DCG who is 2.5. Mom didn’t care about my concerns and I got dismissed big time. Today she contacts me through text asking me to complete a milestone checklist for her and let me know what I get and she will also do one at home. I guess she decided that last night was the night she would interact with her child so she is suddenly seeing the same things I am seeing that she was not seeing a few weeks ago?!

Ummm no. I responded letting her know I already completed one and gave it to her and to just review it. It is 2 days before my break....will I effing make it with this crazy demanding, selfish parent?
12-12-2019 12:14 PM
Hunni Bee It is 1000% a choice whether you want to attend special events at your child's school/daycare.

That being said, should you choose to attend and the event is scheduled to start at 9, it will absolutely not start at 8:40 because you need to get back to work. Barging into the kitchen while the teachers are making pancakes isn't nice. Nor is staring menacingly into the window from the hallway.
12-11-2019 07:48 PM
Annalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
You know what stinks about a small town? Everyone knows everything!

I had a woman who would be getting childcare assistance call me yesterday. She left a vm and I haven't gotten back to her yet. Mostly because I don't think it's something I want to get involved in.

Anyway, two of my clients (both law enforcement) asked me if she called me yet and said that this woman told them I hadn't gotten back to her. The perks of everyone knowing everyone
I understand! I live in a small town as well. My aunt attended a High School basketball game last Friday Night and she said a lady she was sitting beside realized she was kin to me and was talking about her grandchildren attending my child care. Then, a family from behind apparently got irritated and started saying things like "well, she didn't take my child, I called and she wouldn't allow my child to come"??? I didn't even recognize the name when my aunt told me but they have an infant. My aunt told them I did interviews and the state only allowed so many infants. Either way, they aren't even on my waiting list so they must've been a call that simply asked if I had openings. Oh well, it is what it is!
12-11-2019 04:41 PM
CountryRoads You know what stinks about a small town? Everyone knows everything!

I had a woman who would be getting childcare assistance call me yesterday. She left a vm and I haven't gotten back to her yet. Mostly because I don't think it's something I want to get involved in.

Anyway, two of my clients (both law enforcement) asked me if she called me yet and said that this woman told them I hadn't gotten back to her. The perks of everyone knowing everyone
12-10-2019 01:08 PM
AmyKidsCo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Teacher mom has begun her never ending days off again. So happy to be paying for it as a taxpayer. Last week stayed home for a “mental health” day, then shopping and now today she drops off kid and says “we both have colds, I might stay home”. Yeah drop your kid here while you go home and rest

Fudge these parents.
My FCC friend has a teacher mom who's posting on FB looking for a sitter for 12/23 because "daycare is closed and we don't have any more days off." The mom has been at the program 4 years and the closed dates are always the same, and mom is taking off 12/20 to finish getting ready for Christmas.
12-10-2019 09:49 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post


It used to be a certain "type" of parent.
Now it seems it's all parents.

Whatever, I am so over it..... I just charge now and don't stress one bit about it. The parents certainly don't.

Today we have a 2 hour late delay for school and a TON of snow. I get to work no problem and don't open late or anything for days like this but most my parents will be a bit behind due to the snow so it works out well. I shovel the walk ways while my hubby plows the driveway and parking areas.

Today we are shoveling away... still 10 minutes before opening and a parent pulls into the driveway. Blocking my husband....WTF.....parent works at Dairy Queen.

She's more than 30 minutes early and seriously who is heading to Dairy Queen when it's 2F outside and snowy?
Especially since DQ doesn't even open until 10:00.

I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.
Oh man what is with these people?? I cherish extra time with my kids!!

Hope we are getting snow soon. Drab, mild, rainy and green here...bah humbug
12-09-2019 01:40 PM
gonecrazy It's Monday! UGH! It's been a LONG one! An almost three year old who repeats EVERYTHING I say. And in question form. If I say "I need to go check on lunch" she says "you need to go check on lunch?" All...day...long! Add to it that this is without a doubt the nosiest child I have ever encountered and I am about to lose my mind. "Why are you standing up?" "Why are you walking to the kitchen?" "Who was on the phone?" "Why did you say such and such to so and so?" It NEVER STOPS! Thank God for nap time. My brain and my nerves are tired LOL!
12-09-2019 09:33 AM
Annalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post


It used to be a certain "type" of parent.
Now it seems it's all parents.

Whatever, I am so over it..... I just charge now and don't stress one bit about it. The parents certainly don't.

Today we have a 2 hour late delay for school and a TON of snow. I get to work no problem and don't open late or anything for days like this but most my parents will be a bit behind due to the snow so it works out well. I shovel the walk ways while my hubby plows the driveway and parking areas.

Today we are shoveling away... still 10 minutes before opening and a parent pulls into the driveway. Blocking my husband....WTF.....parent works at Dairy Queen.

She's more than 30 minutes early and seriously who is heading to Dairy Queen when it's 2F outside and snowy?
Especially since DQ doesn't even open until 10:00.

I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.
Oh my goodness!!!

Good for you sending her down the street
12-09-2019 08:54 AM
littlefriends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post


It used to be a certain "type" of parent.
Now it seems it's all parents.

Whatever, I am so over it..... I just charge now and don't stress one bit about it. The parents certainly don't.

Today we have a 2 hour late delay for school and a TON of snow. I get to work no problem and don't open late or anything for days like this but most my parents will be a bit behind due to the snow so it works out well. I shovel the walk ways while my hubby plows the driveway and parking areas.

Today we are shoveling away... still 10 minutes before opening and a parent pulls into the driveway. Blocking my husband....WTF.....parent works at Dairy Queen.

She's more than 30 minutes early and seriously who is heading to Dairy Queen when it's 2F outside and snowy?
Especially since DQ doesn't even open until 10:00.

I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.
Oh man, that would make my blood boil...
12-09-2019 08:17 AM
Snowmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post


I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.


I heard it's pretty heavy up north. We started out the day with freezing rain. It just started snowing here about an hour ago and we already have a good 1-2 inches.
12-09-2019 08:02 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Teacher mom has begun her never ending days off again. So happy to be paying for it as a taxpayer. Last week stayed home for a “mental health” day, then shopping and now today she drops off kid and says “we both have colds, I might stay home”. Yeah drop your kid here while you go home and rest

Fudge these parents.


It used to be a certain "type" of parent.
Now it seems it's all parents.

Whatever, I am so over it..... I just charge now and don't stress one bit about it. The parents certainly don't.

Today we have a 2 hour late delay for school and a TON of snow. I get to work no problem and don't open late or anything for days like this but most my parents will be a bit behind due to the snow so it works out well. I shovel the walk ways while my hubby plows the driveway and parking areas.

Today we are shoveling away... still 10 minutes before opening and a parent pulls into the driveway. Blocking my husband....WTF.....parent works at Dairy Queen.

She's more than 30 minutes early and seriously who is heading to Dairy Queen when it's 2F outside and snowy?
Especially since DQ doesn't even open until 10:00.

I made her get back in the car with her kid, park farther down the block and wait.

SMH.
12-09-2019 06:07 AM
Ariana Teacher mom has begun her never ending days off again. So happy to be paying for it as a taxpayer. Last week stayed home for a “mental health” day, then shopping and now today she drops off kid and says “we both have colds, I might stay home”. Yeah drop your kid here while you go home and rest

Fudge these parents.
12-06-2019 02:39 PM
littlefriends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Oh hell no.
If my policies are "crap", then they can take their little entitled arse right back out the door.
Her only saving grace is she put in her 2 weeks on Monday because “she can’t afford my prices” anymore. Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$, ugh.
12-06-2019 02:25 PM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Oh hell no.
If my policies are "crap", then they can take their little entitled arse right back out the door.
Agree. It would have been ugly.
12-06-2019 12:42 PM
Snowmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
Had talk with dcm about not bringing kiddo (2 years old) inside with food anymore at drop off (They have option to eat bkfst at home or cereal and toast here if they’re here before 8). Had ANOTHER talk with her next day as she did it again. Sent home a reminder to everyone and still comes in this morning with a sausage link in her hand!! So I said “Oh no! Looks like we need to go back out to the car so we can finish eating that!” All nice and sweet. Mom says “ Oh, I don’t have time for that crap today, (kid) hurry up and stuff that in your mouth and chew, it’s just a little sausage.” So the kid does!!!
Oh hell no.
If my policies are "crap", then they can take their little entitled arse right back out the door.
12-06-2019 11:12 AM
littlefriends
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
This is the second time someone has inquired about daycare, asked if we can meet ‘tomorrow’ and then not respond after i say “sure! What time works for you”.
Im confused.
I’ve had this lately too
12-06-2019 11:10 AM
littlefriends Had talk with dcm about not bringing kiddo (2 years old) inside with food anymore at drop off (They have option to eat bkfst at home or cereal and toast here if they’re here before 8). Had ANOTHER talk with her next day as she did it again. Sent home a reminder to everyone and still comes in this morning with a sausage link in her hand!! So I said “Oh no! Looks like we need to go back out to the car so we can finish eating that!” All nice and sweet. Mom says “ Oh, I don’t have time for that crap today, (kid) hurry up and stuff that in your mouth and chew, it’s just a little sausage.” So the kid does!!!
12-06-2019 10:25 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
No its through facebook. Im thinking other people responded to their post with lower prices so they just stop talking to me.
Got it. I stopped doing the facebook ads because it was usually other providers responding.
12-06-2019 10:20 AM
MomBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
It could be a paid membership site for parents searching for childcare verifying you are legit. Poorly.
No its through facebook. Im thinking other people responded to their post with lower prices so they just stop talking to me.
12-06-2019 10:10 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
This is the second time someone has inquired about daycare, asked if we can meet ‘tomorrow’ and then not respond after i say “sure! What time works for you”.
Im confused.
It could be a paid membership site for parents searching for childcare verifying you are legit. Poorly.
12-06-2019 09:15 AM
MomBoss This is the second time someone has inquired about daycare, asked if we can meet ‘tomorrow’ and then not respond after i say “sure! What time works for you”.
Im confused.
12-02-2019 06:37 PM
BumbleBee Ever since I mentioned I was considering changing my closing time to 5:30 instead of 6, THAT parent has been picking up at 5:45/6pm.

Pick up time before I mentioned the change? 5pm.
12-02-2019 03:50 PM
Ariana Tell mom at pickup kid had a diarrhea poop and if she has another one she will be excluded. Mom texts me 5 min aftef leaving my house “she had stew last night, I think the stew makes her poops look like diarrhea”. Listen crazy it is not stew, it is diarrhea. How stupid do you think I am? So I tell her it is not stew. Then 30 minutes later she texts telling me it is because her molars are coming in and that is why. Ugh.

I can’t with this parent
12-02-2019 08:46 AM
Indoorvoice
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
Omfg how hard is it to get?! 100 or higher =I’m not letting your kid in the door! Dcm texts that kiddo is having trouble breathing (has happened before and is not a major problem) but then goes on to say he’s got a fever so she’s not sure if he’ll be here tomorrow. I text back he won’t be here tomorrow because he has a fever, duh! She says well he’s got the fever because he’s having trouble breathing not anything contagious. (What??)
They don't "not get it"...they simply are seeing if they can get away with it!
12-01-2019 06:21 PM
e.j.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
Omfg how hard is it to get?! 100 or higher =I’m not letting your kid in the door! Dcm texts that kiddo is having trouble breathing (has happened before and is not a major problem) but then goes on to say he’s got a fever so she’s not sure if he’ll be here tomorrow. I text back he won’t be here tomorrow because he has a fever, duh! She says well he’s got the fever because he’s having trouble breathing not anything contagious. (What??)
Oh, my! Hopefully by "having trouble breathing" she means his nose is stuffed up and not that he's actually struggling to breathe and yes... a fever today means he won't be allowed in the door tomorrow. That poor kid!
12-01-2019 01:17 PM
littlefriends Omfg how hard is it to get?! 100 or higher =I’m not letting your kid in the door! Dcm texts that kiddo is having trouble breathing (has happened before and is not a major problem) but then goes on to say he’s got a fever so she’s not sure if he’ll be here tomorrow. I text back he won’t be here tomorrow because he has a fever, duh! She says well he’s got the fever because he’s having trouble breathing not anything contagious. (What??)
11-29-2019 08:18 AM
Ariana Kid got a fever in my care, called for pickup. Could not get a hold of dad, he is a douche and he knew his kid was sick. She is moody so I accepted her anyway. Got a hold of mom and then suddenly dad is in my driveway in less than 5 minutes if contacting mom. Dad came from his house, not work.

That evening kid went to hospital with a 40C fever (104F). Next day she went to grandmas house. She did not nap and went to bed last night at 9:30. This child is SICK. She needs her mom and dad, she needs structure and routine.

Dad comes in today, kid is screaming her head off. I ask what is going on, he says “oh she was at grandmas and had lots of chocolates and stayed up late and didn’t nap” so I tell him off and I let him know I will call if she does not settle down.

I kept her...why? Because I know she is better off here than anywhere else. I am the only one who can meet her needs . So many selfish adults. Not one person can put her needs first. Mom and dad can’t take a day off to take care of a child who was just at the hospital??? So depressing
11-27-2019 11:59 AM
Ac114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
Mom of 4 month old comes in today - right before a 6 day break - and tell me she wants me to limit baby to 3 hours of naps per day. "So keep her up until 9 am, then only let her nap for 30 minutes and then wake her, then keep her up until 12:30 or so, then let her nap again."

Meanwhile, baby is screaming by 8:10 for sleep, and naps for an hour and 45 minutes.

All so mom can get her to sleep until 7 am every morning. At 4 months old.

I hate BabyWise.

NOT happening, mom, not happening.
I’ve only heard of babywise from this forum but it sounds like an awful concept. Infants make their own schedules, like it or not mom. And I will not do anything that causes more stress and loss of sanity on my watch.
11-27-2019 11:05 AM
Ms.Kay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
Mom of 4 month old comes in today - right before a 6 day break - and tell me she wants me to limit baby to 3 hours of naps per day. "So keep her up until 9 am, then only let her nap for 30 minutes and then wake her, then keep her up until 12:30 or so, then let her nap again."

Meanwhile, baby is screaming by 8:10 for sleep, and naps for an hour and 45 minutes.

All so mom can get her to sleep until 7 am every morning. At 4 months old.

I hate BabyWise.

NOT happening, mom, not happening.
Ask for note from the doctor.
11-27-2019 09:11 AM
Snowmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
Mom of 4 month old comes in today - right before a 6 day break - and tell me she wants me to limit baby to 3 hours of naps per day. "So keep her up until 9 am, then only let her nap for 30 minutes and then wake her, then keep her up until 12:30 or so, then let her nap again."

Meanwhile, baby is screaming by 8:10 for sleep, and naps for an hour and 45 minutes.

All so mom can get her to sleep until 7 am every morning. At 4 months old.

I hate BabyWise.

NOT happening, mom, not happening.
Wow.
What the heck is BabyWise and why is telling parents to sleep deprive their infants?
11-27-2019 08:54 AM
Msdunny Mom of 4 month old comes in today - right before a 6 day break - and tell me she wants me to limit baby to 3 hours of naps per day. "So keep her up until 9 am, then only let her nap for 30 minutes and then wake her, then keep her up until 12:30 or so, then let her nap again."

Meanwhile, baby is screaming by 8:10 for sleep, and naps for an hour and 45 minutes.

All so mom can get her to sleep until 7 am every morning. At 4 months old.

I hate BabyWise.

NOT happening, mom, not happening.
11-27-2019 08:42 AM
CountryRoads Had a dcg2 randomly used the potty yesterday. She had wet pull-ups all day, this was the first time she used it here.

So, what does mom do? Sends her in underwear today

I told mom (again) that she was wet all day yesterday. She let me know she packed lots of pull-ups. I was worried telling mom she used the potty once would result in this
11-27-2019 07:19 AM
Ms.Kay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Of course!! Oh and don’t forget parents are directly impacted by a clean house but taking care of their kid? Who cares!
This is so true....!! What are they inconvenienced more...when the cleaner cancels...or their daycare provider........clearly its the cleaner!!
11-27-2019 06:24 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Haha, two of my sister's are house cleaners and they do get more bonuses than I do.
Yes! And cleaners make $30 an hour here! I am clearly in the wrong profession
11-27-2019 06:23 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Well cleaners have a job to do and need to earn an income like every other worker where as daycare providers are sitting in their homes babysitting because they just love kids. Duh!
Of course!! Oh and don’t forget parents are directly impacted by a clean house but taking care of their kid? Who cares!
11-27-2019 06:13 AM
284878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Read on a moms page:
“What do you get your cleaner for Christmas”?
Answers ranged from $100 bonus to 2 months worth of work bonus, spa days, etc

“What do you get your daycare provider for Christmas”?
Answers ranged from nothing to homemade cookies, books for the daycare to gift cards.

Interesting
Haha, two of my sister's are house cleaners and they do get more bonuses than I do.
11-26-2019 08:14 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Read on a moms page:
“What do you get your cleaner for Christmas”?
Answers ranged from $100 bonus to 2 months worth of work bonus, spa days, etc

“What do you get your daycare provider for Christmas”?
Answers ranged from nothing to homemade cookies, books for the daycare to gift cards.

Interesting
Well cleaners have a job to do and need to earn an income like every other worker where as daycare providers are sitting in their homes babysitting because they just love kids. Duh!
11-26-2019 08:11 AM
Ariana Read on a moms page:
“What do you get your cleaner for Christmas”?
Answers ranged from $100 bonus to 2 months worth of work bonus, spa days, etc

“What do you get your daycare provider for Christmas”?
Answers ranged from nothing to homemade cookies, books for the daycare to gift cards.

Interesting
11-26-2019 07:54 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
Dck got new, very sparkly shoes.

I now have glitter all over my floor
Just wait until one of the littles has it in their eyes. I banned those forever ago. I still get pushback from time to time, but holdfast. I don't miss those crocs with the plugin pegs, either. So fun fishing those out of toddlers mouths before they choke.
11-26-2019 07:17 AM
CountryRoads Dck got new, very sparkly shoes.

I now have glitter all over my floor
11-25-2019 12:30 PM
Ac114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Dcm comes in with dcg 3 today and stays for an hour while she cries. I am relatively new to daycare and don't know how to manage these situations. This is the only dcm that actually comes in past the entryway at dropoff. After half an hour of trying to talk dcg down, she caves and says "lets call grandma and see if she can come get you". So, she puts the phone on speaker and calls, no answer, dcm tells dcg "oh shoot, you will have to stay here since grandma didn't answer" .... and hysterical crying for another half hour. Then proceeds to start a craft with her to make her calm down, at the table that I am trying to prepare breakfast on. This has put my whole schedule back an hour. I can handle a crying kid at dropoff, I cant handle a parent sticking around that long.

Ugh. Mondays.

Time for bye bye outside!
11-25-2019 10:35 AM
Josiegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Dcm comes in with dcg 3 today and stays for an hour while she cries. I am relatively new to daycare and don't know how to manage these situations. This is the only dcm that actually comes in past the entryway at dropoff. After half an hour of trying to talk dcg down, she caves and says "lets call grandma and see if she can come get you". So, she puts the phone on speaker and calls, no answer, dcm tells dcg "oh shoot, you will have to stay here since grandma didn't answer" .... and hysterical crying for another half hour. Then proceeds to start a craft with her to make her calm down, at the table that I am trying to prepare breakfast on. This has put my whole schedule back an hour. I can handle a crying kid at dropoff, I cant handle a parent sticking around that long.

Ugh. Mondays.
Oh my. I know you're new at this but that needs to stop. Yikes. Dcm is only making it worse by playing into it all and not giving you a chance to bond with dcg.
11-25-2019 09:42 AM
Meadow Dcm comes in with dcg 3 today and stays for an hour while she cries. I am relatively new to daycare and don't know how to manage these situations. This is the only dcm that actually comes in past the entryway at dropoff. After half an hour of trying to talk dcg down, she caves and says "lets call grandma and see if she can come get you". So, she puts the phone on speaker and calls, no answer, dcm tells dcg "oh shoot, you will have to stay here since grandma didn't answer" .... and hysterical crying for another half hour. Then proceeds to start a craft with her to make her calm down, at the table that I am trying to prepare breakfast on. This has put my whole schedule back an hour. I can handle a crying kid at dropoff, I cant handle a parent sticking around that long.

Ugh. Mondays.
11-22-2019 11:19 AM
Snowmom A set of siblings put notice in Wednesday (expected w/3rd on the way) and another child today.

It's always the holidays.
11-22-2019 07:27 AM
Cat Herder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay View Post
Friday:
#1. DCD drops sib set...said he was way behind...no time to feed..already bloody screaming 5 mo. I have 4 kids breakfast and catch 3 different buses..at 3 different times. Yes Dad....your time is so much morw valuable than your providers.

#2 mom who wants her 2.5 yr old to go to bed at 730 everynight.....tells me that she called the pediatrician...and he said I have to nap her for 1 hr. Yes mom....did you tell the pediatrician she ends up in your bed every nite? Did you tell the pediatrician she has her ipad the moment she gets home? and no I love not having a 20 min break in my 11 hr day!

My wine is already breathing.......
I am going to assume you told them both NO and to get their priorities straight.
11-22-2019 06:48 AM
Ms.Kay Friday:
#1. DCD drops sib set...said he was way behind...no time to feed..already bloody screaming 5 mo. I have 4 kids breakfast and catch 3 different buses..at 3 different times. Yes Dad....your time is so much morw valuable than your providers.

#2 mom who wants her 2.5 yr old to go to bed at 730 everynight.....tells me that she called the pediatrician...and he said I have to nap her for 1 hr. Yes mom....did you tell the pediatrician she ends up in your bed every nite? Did you tell the pediatrician she has her ipad the moment she gets home? and no I love not having a 20 min break in my 11 hr day!

My wine is already breathing.......
11-19-2019 07:00 AM
Ariana DCD contacts me saying they are “having a rough start and will be late”. This is the guy that cannot make it here before 9:15-9:30am every morning. GET UP EARLIER! What is your kid doing for two hours in the morning while you are sleeping? Door is locked at 9:30 dad, so you better get your butt in gear. Good luck when baby #2 arrives

Hmmm wonder why she is delayed
11-14-2019 10:01 AM
Kimskiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I had a similar child and it was due to possible ADHD and anxiety. I found directing him to specific activities and having the day planned helped him a lot. I also made a picture schedule. So when he is annoying you just say “ok thank you, now go play with the X” or get him to clean something up and do little jobs. The kid I had LOVED being outside and loved shovelling, so we would go out every day and I gave him shovelling tasks in the winter and digging, planting tasks in the summer. He was like a border collie, he needed to work
I've also had a couple of similar kiddos , one ADHD and the other on the spectrum but high functioning. I used to have them run laps or do jumping jacks (Of course made a game of it all.) when they got crazy. It really helped a lot.
11-14-2019 07:07 AM
Ac114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araem910 View Post
Recently took on a 5 year old and he seems very hyper, talks nonstop ( no, really, nonstop questions &#128563. His number one agenda is to do whatever it takes to get attention. My question is, is it worth it? Is it worth the stress? Maybe I’m just getting too old to do this anymore? My nerves are shot by the end of the day and I’m not upset with him, just exhausted. He doesn’t talk back and he’s not a threat to other children, just overly hyper and requires nonstop attention.
Definitely sounds like ADHD. My oldest has ADHD and over the years I have learned that giving him tasks help with the behavior. You could give him a job and reward him with a few minutes of conversation and then give him another job and so forth. I’ve also had to set boundaries with my son and say ok, I need quiet time to recharge so I need a break from all your questions right now. These children need to burn a lot more energy than a typical child so exercising him is also important. Something simple as a medicine ball that he can sit on and bounce will help redirect the extra energy.
Good luck!
11-13-2019 05:03 PM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araem910 View Post
Recently took on a 5 year old and he seems very hyper, talks nonstop ( no, really, nonstop questions &#128563. His number one agenda is to do whatever it takes to get attention. My question is, is it worth it? Is it worth the stress? Maybe I’m just getting too old to do this anymore? My nerves are shot by the end of the day and I’m not upset with him, just exhausted. He doesn’t talk back and he’s not a threat to other children, just overly hyper and requires nonstop attention.
I had a similar child and it was due to possible ADHD and anxiety. I found directing him to specific activities and having the day planned helped him a lot. I also made a picture schedule. So when he is annoying you just say “ok thank you, now go play with the X” or get him to clean something up and do little jobs. The kid I had LOVED being outside and loved shovelling, so we would go out every day and I gave him shovelling tasks in the winter and digging, planting tasks in the summer. He was like a border collie, he needed to work
11-12-2019 12:14 PM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araem910 View Post
Recently took on a 5 year old and he seems very hyper, talks nonstop ( no, really, nonstop questions &#128563. His number one agenda is to do whatever it takes to get attention. My question is, is it worth it? Is it worth the stress? Maybe I’m just getting too old to do this anymore? My nerves are shot by the end of the day and I’m not upset with him, just exhausted. He doesn’t talk back and he’s not a threat to other children, just overly hyper and requires nonstop attention.
How much sleep and exercise does he get?

In my experience those kids that aren't provided the opportunity to exercise and/or sleep well are the ones that talk non-stop and cannot stop moving. They seem starved for adult attention too.

I don't care to have infants in care buuuuut I know the only way to having a good toddler and/or preschooler is to get them young. Taking on a 5 year old as a new DCK is so difficult as they've already got their own groove going on and as you are experiencing, it's not always a good one.
11-12-2019 11:31 AM
Araem910 Recently took on a 5 year old and he seems very hyper, talks nonstop ( no, really, nonstop questions &#128563. His number one agenda is to do whatever it takes to get attention. My question is, is it worth it? Is it worth the stress? Maybe I’m just getting too old to do this anymore? My nerves are shot by the end of the day and I’m not upset with him, just exhausted. He doesn’t talk back and he’s not a threat to other children, just overly hyper and requires nonstop attention.
11-09-2019 11:00 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I've had to speak with a few parents lately about the need to feed their kids before coming here. I don't serve breakfast and we don't have morning snack until 9:30 so kids who haven't eaten get hungry and cranky. It was especially problematic when I was with the food program because I was supposed to stick with my meal times. Now I can adjust times a bit easier but when the other kids have eaten and aren't hungry, early snack throws the others off because they don't eat as much and then are hungry before lunch time.

I always tell my family, I'd love to be able to require parents to work in my day care for 2 weeks every year (without me helping) so they can see how things feel from the other side. I know as a dc parent, I had no clue how some of the things I did (showing up even a little late for drop offs, picking my ds up during nap time for dr. appointments) impacted my dc provider.
Exactly! I can accommodate with some notice, but telling me after kid gets here and giving me no time to prepare a breakfast before she arrives is not good.
11-09-2019 07:02 AM
Ms.Kay 2 kids .2.5 yrs here. Oldest didnt need pt or speech therapy anymore after 3mo of being here. The youngest last day was yesterday ....never even got a thank you.
11-08-2019 11:59 AM
Ac114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I didn't write that very clearly. This boy IS the "extra" child. The boy that stays with us is the boy that was only supposed to be with the family for a short time. The couple caring for him has 2 older bio children, and the younger one, especially, is extremely jealous of him, and whines that he is the reason she doesn't have more time with mom, more material goods, etc. She didn't care for giving up her spot at the baby of the family, and she is quite vocal about it. The mother in this family loves him. Her husband does, too, but he never wanted to add this boy to his family permanently. They never could afford him, and they get NO help from the state for him, as they were forced to take permanent guardianship and the CPS case was closed (CPS told them it was time for guardianship and basically told them they took permanent responsibility for him or he would go to a foster home). I can understand their position, but I certainly don't agree with it. He knows that we love him, though, and he has often said that this is his OTHER home, and tells me that he is one of my kids. My son (only child) is 6 months older than this boy, and tells people that this kid is his brother (not only are they different races, but they could not be more different in looks, personality, and pretty much everything else!). They do love each other, though.

Ahhh ok this makes sense but still very very sad. I couldn’t fathom ever doing that to any of my nieces or nephews, beck even if a daycare parent came to me and just said we are no longer able to care for this said child, will you take care of them, I would. It’s not the child’s fault and that’s so heartless to treat them that way. They are very lucky to have you and they will appreciate you and be very thankful for these times as they get older and understand more. Thank you for caring for him.
11-08-2019 11:31 AM
e.j.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
She texted me after she left...like it was now my problem not my problem mom that you let your kid sleep in. Now you expect me to prepare breakfast for her when I have other kids to tend to with zero notice? Poor girl had to wait until snack at 9:30am
I've had to speak with a few parents lately about the need to feed their kids before coming here. I don't serve breakfast and we don't have morning snack until 9:30 so kids who haven't eaten get hungry and cranky. It was especially problematic when I was with the food program because I was supposed to stick with my meal times. Now I can adjust times a bit easier but when the other kids have eaten and aren't hungry, early snack throws the others off because they don't eat as much and then are hungry before lunch time.

I always tell my family, I'd love to be able to require parents to work in my day care for 2 weeks every year (without me helping) so they can see how things feel from the other side. I know as a dc parent, I had no clue how some of the things I did (showing up even a little late for drop offs, picking my ds up during nap time for dr. appointments) impacted my dc provider.
11-08-2019 10:55 AM
Ariana
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
"No worries. Give her breakfast and I'll see you when you get here." Gotta love it.
She texted me after she left...like it was now my problem not my problem mom that you let your kid sleep in. Now you expect me to prepare breakfast for her when I have other kids to tend to with zero notice? Poor girl had to wait until snack at 9:30am
11-08-2019 08:00 AM
CountryRoads Was looking forward to a slower day on Monday.

Dcm (who rarely brings her kids when she's not working and has my most challenging dck) told me that she may bring them on Monday so she can get stuff done around the house.

I wonder how the rest of us manage to do anything with kids around? I also have 2 of my own, plus watch several others during the week and I'm able to get my stuff done

ETA: I'm not upset about it at all! I just always have to roll my eyes when I hear parents complain that they can't get anything done when they have their kids.
This thread has more than 100 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming