Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum > My Weekly Poll! Are You Off/Closed Tomorrow For President's Day?

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Thread: My Weekly Poll! Are You Off/Closed Tomorrow For President's Day? Reply to Thread
Your Username: Click here to log in
Random Question
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-18-2013 12:46 PM
lovemykidstoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I charge them the same weekly rate in the summer as I do during the school year. Some come and some don't. I think it depends on the family.

I had one last year that goes out of town for the summer months and she asked if I would be willing to discount her summer care and what I did was take what it would cost her all summer ...something like $1700 and said if she paid me $1100 all at once before leaving or $450 on or before the 1st of each month I would be fine with that. I didn't mind being out a bit of money as it was worth not having that extra kid here every day. (especially because they had just turned 2)

I have also given a teacher mom who had a baby (under age 12 months) a break in the summer too and only charged her 50% rates all summer if she agreed to keep him home all summer. NOT having a baby in the summer makes the days so much easier for me that it is totally worth the loss in income.

So I guess for me, each summer is different and I am always quick to let my families who work seasonally know that what worked for me one summer may not always work for me the next so if they just plan to pay like normal, things will be fine.

If I am in the position to do anything "special" for them, they will be the first to know.
This basically sounds like how I've been doing it. As long as I can fill the spot with a SA'r sibling then I wasn't worried about it. I wasn't going to charge my teachers full rate and basically get double income by filling their spot in the summer. That's not how I roll either. But, now I can't fill the spots, so really only the one family will be shorting me $110 a week, but if it gives me a little bit of a break then oh well. It's really not that long because the teacher I have works 1/2 of June and goes back the 2nd week in August and I have 2 weeks off in between. Oh yea, plus I have a baby starting in July (sibling of current dcb).
02-18-2013 12:38 PM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
So you say you charge them the same 52 weeks a year. Is it full price or do you figure out how much they would pay for school year and divide it out for 52 weeks? Do they still come in the summer then?
I charge them the same weekly rate in the summer as I do during the school year. Some come and some don't. I think it depends on the family.

I had one last year that goes out of town for the summer months and she asked if I would be willing to discount her summer care and what I did was take what it would cost her all summer ...something like $1700 and said if she paid me $1100 all at once before leaving or $450 on or before the 1st of each month I would be fine with that. I didn't mind being out a bit of money as it was worth not having that extra kid here every day. (especially because they had just turned 2)

I have also given a teacher mom who had a baby (under age 12 months) a break in the summer too and only charged her 50% rates all summer if she agreed to keep him home all summer. NOT having a baby in the summer makes the days so much easier for me that it is totally worth the loss in income.

So I guess for me, each summer is different and I am always quick to let my families who work seasonally know that what worked for me one summer may not always work for me the next so if they just plan to pay like normal, things will be fine.

If I am in the position to do anything "special" for them, they will be the first to know.
02-18-2013 12:12 PM
lovemykidstoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
The rates I charge each family are really individualized but everyone pays 52 weeks a year. Their rates are dependent on what hours and days they need.

Teacher families pay their same rate through summer (even if they stay home all summer). I don't take SA'ers anymore so I don't have them available to fill the empty summer spaces.

It might not always seem fair but if I KNOW someone's off because of their work/school schedule (college student, bank employee, teacher) I really push them to not attend on those days.

I guess I don't have black and white rules as every family is different even if they work at the same place.

I just really stress to parents that I am a child care provider who provides care when parents work. If they want to take a day off and still bring their kids, I really don't care but for some reason when I know they don't have to work, that bothers me so I just highly discourage it.

I think if teachers (or college students or bank employees etc) want to have a day without their kids, it should be a day they take off of work not just a day they got off of work....kwim?

That doesn't even make a lot of sense but so far in 5 years, it has worked out pretty good for me so....

HTH
It definately makes sense. I'm right there with ya. I think if I get a teacher again, I definately have to rework it. I don't think it's fair that I get shorted money in the summer because of their job. This will likely be the last summer with my one teacher family though because the twins are almost 4 now and will be going to school in the fall of 2014. The remaining teacher I will have the same income per week because I will have her SA son along with the 2 yr old, so like I said before instead of having the 2 yr old 4 days a week, I will have them both 2 days, so same pay. So, that is not bad.

So you say you charge them the same 52 weeks a year. Is it full price or do you figure out how much they would pay for school year and divide it out for 52 weeks? Do they still come in the summer then?
02-18-2013 12:03 PM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
So do they still pay for those days if they dont' come on scheduled days off of school?

Normally I have let them choose for summer because I had SA's that needed the space so it worked out for me. My one family with twins normally come 3 days and in the past summers they would only come 1. The other family that has 1 here 4 days a week normally has both of their kids come 2 days a week in the summer, so really the same income. This year though I don't have any of my past kids coming back for summer only so I'm telling them that they need to either pay or come 1/2 the time. Really my other teacher that brings the twins sometimes doesn't bother me as much as this particular family because this particular family just doesn't seem to do much with their kids and that makes me feel bad for them. I guess after thinking about it, it's not that I mind having them, just that I wish they had more time with mom and dad.
The rates I charge each family are really individualized but everyone pays 52 weeks a year. Their rates are dependent on what hours and days they need.

Teacher families pay their same rate through summer (even if they stay home all summer). I don't take SA'ers anymore so I don't have them available to fill the empty summer spaces.

It might not always seem fair but if I KNOW someone's off because of their work/school schedule (college student, bank employee, teacher) I really push them to not attend on those days.

I guess I don't have black and white rules as every family is different even if they work at the same place.

I just really stress to parents that I am a child care provider who provides care when parents work. If they want to take a day off and still bring their kids, I really don't care but for some reason when I know they don't have to work, that bothers me so I just highly discourage it.

I think if teachers (or college students or bank employees etc) want to have a day without their kids, it should be a day they take off of work not just a day they got off of work....kwim?

That doesn't even make a lot of sense but so far in 5 years, it has worked out pretty good for me so....

HTH
02-18-2013 11:56 AM
MNMum I added it to my holiday list this year so I'm off.

We usually go on vacation about this time of year and our anniversary is on the 19th, so it's a busy time of year for me. We were in San Diego last week, got home at 4am on Sunday, and I still haven't adjusted to our unexpected late night flying. So glad I am off today!
02-18-2013 11:56 AM
lovemykidstoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yeah it is in my contract and something I discuss with them during the interveiw.

I just tell them that working with teacher's schedules is rough sometimes and during any scheduled school holidays, I will not be available to provide care for them.

Like any other working mom/dad, they can take a day off and bring their child if they want to but not when school is scheduled to be closed.

Just curious, what is your policy for summers when it comes to teachers?
So do they still pay for those days if they dont' come on scheduled days off of school?

Normally I have let them choose for summer because I had SA's that needed the space so it worked out for me. My one family with twins normally come 3 days and in the past summers they would only come 1. The other family that has 1 here 4 days a week normally has both of their kids come 2 days a week in the summer, so really the same income. This year though I don't have any of my past kids coming back for summer only so I'm telling them that they need to either pay or come 1/2 the time. Really my other teacher that brings the twins sometimes doesn't bother me as much as this particular family because this particular family just doesn't seem to do much with their kids and that makes me feel bad for them. I guess after thinking about it, it's not that I mind having them, just that I wish they had more time with mom and dad.
02-18-2013 11:53 AM
DCMom I am open and I have a houseful! I'm surprised to read how many of you have a light day; all my parents have to work.

Schools are closed ~ I have a group of kindergarteners who split up at the end of the summer; some had siblings and stayed here, others were the youngest and aged out. They have all been here since they were babies and this is the first time they have all been back together since August.

They are having a blast seeing each other again ~ all in all a good day! But I'm glad it's only one...
02-18-2013 11:43 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
How do you tell them that? It's just in your contract? Drives me nuts with my 2 teachers. I don't mind sometimes because I know that everyone likes a "mommy day", but every single time. This happens to be my last family that I actually give free days to, so she can't even say well I'm paying for it might as well use it speal. She said that she had some paperwork to do at work, but I don't buy it. Her school is 45 minutes away one way, so I doubt that she's going in for just a little bit. Not to mention he was here at regular time this morning and he'll be picked up at regular time too. Last week she said she needed a "mommy day". UGH!
Yeah it is in my contract and something I discuss with them during the interveiw.

I just tell them that working with teacher's schedules is rough sometimes and during any scheduled school holidays, I will not be available to provide care for them.

Like any other working mom/dad, they can take a day off and bring their child if they want to but not when school is scheduled to be closed.

Just curious, what is your policy for summers when it comes to teachers?
02-18-2013 11:40 AM
lovemykidstoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
I'd ask her how much she charges for baby-sitting so you can have a mommy day on the weekend. I would ask with a smile on my face as serious as I could.
Or, I would tell her you can start bartering "mommy days" with her on her days off of work. She uses you for a day for relaxation and you get to do the same. Bet she wouldn't do that anymore.
I should do that Cracks me up! I don't know why it bothers me so much because I'm getting paid, but it just does. Maybe because it just feels like so many of these parents are so quick to get rid of their kids all the time. Between here and grandparents, I don't think they go a whole day without someone wiping their rears. This particular family picks up at 4:30 and he's in bed by 7:30, grandma brings him in the morning etc.
02-18-2013 11:33 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Bwahaha! Love it!!! I would love to tell her that!! This particular family is something else. Not to mention I have her 2 kids (1 a SA'er) 2 days a week in the summer so she can have "mommy time". Poor little teacher UGH!
I'd ask her how much she charges for baby-sitting so you can have a mommy day on the weekend. I would ask with a smile on my face as serious as I could.
Or, I would tell her you can start bartering "mommy days" with her on her days off of work. She uses you for a day for relaxation and you get to do the same. Bet she wouldn't do that anymore.
02-18-2013 11:29 AM
lovemykidstoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
Let her know that you'll drop off your child to her this Saturday for your "mommy day."
Bwahaha! Love it!!! I would love to tell her that!! This particular family is something else. Not to mention I have her 2 kids (1 a SA'er) 2 days a week in the summer so she can have "mommy time". Poor little teacher UGH!
02-18-2013 11:22 AM
mema I'm open....down to 2 and hoping their mom keeps up the tract she was on last week of picking up 45 minutes early!
02-18-2013 11:17 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
How do you tell them that? It's just in your contract? Drives me nuts with my 2 teachers. I don't mind sometimes because I know that everyone likes a "mommy day", but every single time. This happens to be my last family that I actually give free days to, so she can't even say well I'm paying for it might as well use it speal. She said that she had some paperwork to do at work, but I don't buy it. Her school is 45 minutes away one way, so I doubt that she's going in for just a little bit. Not to mention he was here at regular time this morning and he'll be picked up at regular time too. Last week she said she needed a "mommy day". UGH!
Let her know that you'll drop off your child to her this Saturday for your "mommy day."
02-18-2013 11:15 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist 9 here today and it's going great! I've even managed to keep my 2 "rowdy kids" from being too rowdy.

Feel better sick ladies! Drink some hot tea, sit in a chair, and observe children playing.
02-18-2013 11:11 AM
DayCareDiva30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn View Post
Wish I was closed, not feeling so great...
Same here!!! I have the worst sinus infection. Hope you start to feel better soon.
02-18-2013 11:09 AM
daycarediva School is closed & I am open.

I have no SA'ers though as parents are divorced and they are on break with the opposite parent.

I have EVERYONE else, even though two dcm's aren't working.

Just a regular day here, without the after school chaos!
02-18-2013 11:06 AM
lovemykidstoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I won't/don't allow teachers to bring their kids when school is closed.

I know we can't stop all parents from bringing their kids on their off days at work but atleast with teachers, I can couunt on a few certain days off with less kids.
How do you tell them that? It's just in your contract? Drives me nuts with my 2 teachers. I don't mind sometimes because I know that everyone likes a "mommy day", but every single time. This happens to be my last family that I actually give free days to, so she can't even say well I'm paying for it might as well use it speal. She said that she had some paperwork to do at work, but I don't buy it. Her school is 45 minutes away one way, so I doubt that she's going in for just a little bit. Not to mention he was here at regular time this morning and he'll be picked up at regular time too. Last week she said she needed a "mommy day". UGH!
02-18-2013 11:02 AM
Blackcat31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I'm open. My kids have school today, but one of my dcm's is a teacher and her district is closed. Yup, still have her boy all day just like last week when she had a day off.
I won't/don't allow teachers to bring their kids when school is closed.

I know we can't stop all parents from bringing their kids on their off days at work but atleast with teachers, I can couunt on a few certain days off with less kids.
02-18-2013 10:48 AM
lovemykidstoo I'm open. My kids have school today, but one of my dcm's is a teacher and her district is closed. Yup, still have her boy all day just like last week when she had a day off.
02-18-2013 10:46 AM
Lyss I'm open but only have one of my regulars. I also have one drop in today because her bi-lingual montessori program is closed today.

The 2 I have are super easy so we're going to the park and bounce house activity place later.
02-18-2013 07:46 AM
mls620 I'm open today but only have one child. Nice easy day.
02-18-2013 06:17 AM
AfterSchoolMom When school is closed, I'm closed.
02-18-2013 06:02 AM
Provider_Manda Im open But will be closing early to go get taxes done...Sounds like a day full of fun and excitment..lol NOT!
02-18-2013 05:58 AM
Evansmom I'm open. I used to take all 10 federal holidays but recently decided to close for 2 weeks in the summer rather than my usual 1 so I reduced my federal holidays to only 5. I kinda traded days in a way from a few spread out to all at once which I think I need more.
02-18-2013 05:35 AM
williams2008 I'm open and all 6 of my dck's will be here. I really wished I would've closed, we went out of town the weekend and didn't make it back until late last night, not to mention that I had got a hold to some kind of stomach virus on Saturday and I really didn't feel my best yesterday
02-17-2013 08:48 PM
Little Star75 I'm open however, I will only have 1 yo dck. Yay! but I'm planning to add this day as paid next year. I will revise my contract in June.
02-17-2013 08:30 PM
Meeko I'm closed and paid. I added it this year!
02-17-2013 07:55 PM
Holiday Park I only have two . I stayed open for one since he leaves by 3:30 and I closed for the other one. It's in y handbook tht on closed days I'm open to taking just ONE child (if applicable/if I choose to) so they must compete for the spot by paying for it first if they want to be the ONE child I watch that day. I wish I had closed entirely but I needed the money ( I don't charge for days I close) this time.
02-17-2013 07:45 PM
renodeb I take all the school holidays off.
Debbie
02-17-2013 07:27 PM
mom2many I'm so looking forward to having a quiet day off and the best part is having my daughter, SIL, and baby grand daughter spending the day here with me!!!
02-17-2013 06:55 PM
snbauser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Oh wow, that's unusual. At least I think it's unusual. I thought ALL American schools got Presidents' Day off.
We used to get it off, then a few years ago it was changed to a teacher workday. The last 2 years it is just a regular school day. But I think next year it is back to a holiday

We go a long time from MLK to Good Friday without a day off.
02-17-2013 06:16 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Oh wow, that's unusual. At least I think it's unusual. I thought ALL American schools got Presidents' Day off.
My son has school tomorrow. His next holiday is in March for Spring Break.
02-17-2013 05:20 PM
saved4always We are open. Only one child will not be there and he is the only one who is semi-easy. So, I will have all the lesser behaved kids....sigh.....
02-17-2013 05:11 PM
wahmof3 I'm off, but my day will consist of finishing my taxes
02-17-2013 05:04 PM
Lucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snbauser View Post
Our schools are open and since I have teachers kids, I will be open.
Oh wow, that's unusual. At least I think it's unusual. I thought ALL American schools got Presidents' Day off.
02-17-2013 05:03 PM
CedarCreek I'm open as well. Four of my dcks are teachers children and school is open.
02-17-2013 04:56 PM
snbauser Our schools are open and since I have teachers kids, I will be open.
02-17-2013 04:51 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist I'll be working and will likely have every single child here. That's always how it works out.

It's also a birthday day so there will be sugary donuts shared at snack time (that is what the parent is bringing). Holy cow. Help me.
02-17-2013 04:21 PM
Blackcat31 Tomorrow is one of my favorite type of days!

I only have 4 kids scheduled so the day will be VERY low key but I will be able to get ALOT of paperwork done as well as a ton of things I have been putting off for a while.




@jenn I hope you feel better soon too!
02-17-2013 04:02 PM
Former Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn View Post
Wish I was closed, not feeling so great...
Hope you feel better soon!
02-17-2013 04:02 PM
Former Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I almost got the day off.

I have sisters, 7 & 4, whose dad is off, so they're staying home.
I have a 4 yr old girl who is sick, so she AND her 9 yo brother will be staying home.
I have an 8 yo girl who, when I texted Mom that the 7 yr old girl and 9 yo boy would not be here, she asked if she could stay home with Dad, who works at home.

So that's 5 of my 6 who will NOT be here.

I then texted Mom of my 3 yo girl (with my fingers totally CROSSED!) and said, "Just a heads up that your daughter will be the only one here, so if she wants to bring something to play with, she can."

I was hoping Mom would say let's just take her to Grandma's so you can have the day off. Nope. She wrote back, "Sounds great. See you in the morning."

Oh well.... we'll find something to keep us busy I guess!!
Eww what a bummer

Maybe she will pick her up early if you stress to the mom that she will be the ONLY one in care. Therefore she will have no one to play with
02-17-2013 03:48 PM
Lucy I almost got the day off.

I have sisters, 7 & 4, whose dad is off, so they're staying home.
I have a 4 yr old girl who is sick, so she AND her 9 yo brother will be staying home.
I have an 8 yo girl who, when I texted Mom that the 7 yr old girl and 9 yo boy would not be here, she asked if she could stay home with Dad, who works at home.

So that's 5 of my 6 who will NOT be here.

I then texted Mom of my 3 yo girl (with my fingers totally CROSSED!) and said, "Just a heads up that your daughter will be the only one here, so if she wants to bring something to play with, she can."

I was hoping Mom would say let's just take her to Grandma's so you can have the day off. Nope. She wrote back, "Sounds great. See you in the morning."

Oh well.... we'll find something to keep us busy I guess!!
02-17-2013 03:45 PM
jenn Wish I was closed, not feeling so great...
02-17-2013 03:22 PM
Former Teacher I have the day off

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming