Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Snow and Ice (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94078)

Annalee 02-14-2021 02:12 PM

Snow and Ice
 
Anybody getting this ice in the South! Very cold here! It was 1994 when we last saw this much ice. Making preparations just to be safe!

Blackcat31 02-14-2021 04:07 PM

*shrugs* we havenít been above zero in almost two weeks now and probably wonít be for another week.

This morning it was -38F actual temp (-50F windchill)

No seriously, Iím used to this but Iíve heard some of the southern states are having some usually cold temps and weird weather situations. Hoping itís not impacting you too badly....

Horrible to hear about the accident in Texas due to icy road conditions. :(

e.j. 02-14-2021 04:11 PM

I'm not in the south but we've been watching the huge chain reaction crashes on highways down south. So awful! Please be careful and definitely prepare as best you can.

Our area (central MA) is facing the possibility of an ice storm Tuesday thru Wednesday. The only time I can remember having such a storm in our area was in 2008. It was unexpected so we weren't prepared at all for it. We went to bed that night not giving a second thought to the rain falling outside only to wake up to trees and wires down everywhere and no power/heat for over a week. It looked like a war zone outside. Our cellar flooded and we lost a lot of the dry goods we stored down there. We've had icing in this area before but never like we got during that storm! I'm crossing my fingers the predictions for this coming week are wrong. I'm not looking forward to dealing with another ice storm again! Stay safe!

e.j. 02-14-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31 (Post 726152)
*shrugs* we havenít been above zero in almost two weeks now and probably wonít be for another week.

This morning it was -38F actual temp (-50F windchill)

No seriously, Iím used to this but Iíve heard some of the southern states are having some usually cold temps and weird weather situations. Hoping itís not impacting you too badly....

Horrible to hear about the accident in Texas due to icy road conditions. :(

I don't know how you get used to those kinds of temperatures!! OMG! We get down to just below 0 at times and that feels way too cold! I think somewhere around -10 windchills have been the worst we've seen here but that doesn't happen often. I don't know how you do it!

Jo123ABC 02-15-2021 01:19 AM

Also not from the south nor a stranger to the crazy cold. Our local state park recorded an overnight low of -59.6 actual temp (without wind chill) on Saturday night. I'm in ND. I comfort myself by knowing our cold makes most nasty bugs and snakes unable to live here. We also don't have to worry about hurricanes. :lol:

Josiegirl 02-15-2021 02:53 AM

Stay safe everybody!!
I live in New England and have had it pretty mild compared to a lot of areas across the states. We were facetiming with dd in Seattle a couple days ago and they were getting snow dumped on them. She said they already had 6" and it wasn't slowing down. Very unusual for them.

We're supposed to get hit with a storm tomorrow but we'll see. I'd much rather have snow than the awful below zero temps or ice.
Blackcat, how do you function with dcks inside all day every day?? I'd go crazy. :rolleyes:

Blackcat31 02-15-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo123ABC (Post 726156)
I comfort myself by knowing our cold makes most nasty bugs and snakes unable to live here. We also don't have to worry about hurricanes. :lol:

Every time someone asks me how I deal with such cold weather I always say something similar. No poisonous snakes, no poisonous spiders, no hurricanes, mudslides or anything weird like that.... Tornados can happen but they're very rare and wildfires are usually kept to the heavily forested areas and maintained but they are rarely the same type of threat they get in areas such as California.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiegirl (Post 726157)
Blackcat, how do you function with dcks inside all day every day?? I'd go crazy. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness for a WHOLE house... lol! :lol:

The sanity saver for me lately has been not following our regular routine and mixing it up a bit. Makes for a fun day and keeps boredom from settling in.

If the windchill ever gets back near single digits, we'll head outside but it's not looking like it will happen for atleast another week. :cool:

Blackcat31 02-15-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annalee (Post 726149)
Anybody getting this ice in the South! Very cold here! It was 1994 when we last saw this much ice. Making preparations just to be safe!

How are you all holding up there?

I imagine cold temps and icy roads make for some interesting travel stories. Hoping none of your DCF's are "risking" travel if they don't HAVE to.

Here, school and most businesses are closed due to President's Day so I have a light load but I'd hate to see parents getting to your house for drop off but then unable to make it back for pick up..... :(

Annalee 02-15-2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31 (Post 726162)
How are you all holding up there?

I imagine cold temps and icy roads make for some interesting travel stories. Hoping none of your DCF's are "risking" travel if they don't HAVE to.

Here, school and most businesses are closed due to President's Day so I have a light load but I'd hate to see parents getting to your house for drop off but then unable to make it back for pick up..... :(

I am closed for Presidents Day. Had a physical scheduled but called to cancel and they are closed too. Most factories are also closed. My niece had her baby Saturday and came home yesterday. She only lives a mile away but I can't get to her. Hoping my bro comes to get me in his four-wheel drive to take me to see the baby. I have four wheel drive but not crazy about driving on the ice myself. I am closed Thursday to get the vaccine....hoping this doesn't get cancelled as the ice/snow has another round coming Wednesday.

Former Teacher 02-15-2021 07:26 AM

I am in TX and I hear what you are saying!

Everyone around us is having power issues which thankfully we haven't experienced yet. However we now have no water. Several other locals also are telling me no water.

I don't know what to do. This hasn't happened before :(

Annalee 02-15-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Former Teacher (Post 726167)
I am in TX and I hear what you are saying!

Everyone around us is having power issues which thankfully we haven't experienced yet. However we now have no water. Several other locals also are telling me no water.

I don't know what to do. This hasn't happened before :(

Our ice snow/ice chances are usually forecasted by what comes out of Texas. Iím southern TN. likethis

Annalee 02-15-2021 12:35 PM

I am closing tomorrow.....government/city offices in my county and the surrounding counties are closed as well. First responders are staying in town sleeping on cots to be available to help people. I find it crazy to open up and have over half my kids show up while parents go back home.:confused:

Blackcat31 02-15-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annalee (Post 726178)
I am closing tomorrow.....government/city offices in my county and the surrounding counties are closed as well. First responders are staying in town sleeping on cots to be available to help people. I find it crazy to open up and have over half my kids show up while parents go back home.:confused:

Oh my goodness! I hope you are all okay... It's scary when nature is acting all crazy and there is nothing you can do about it.

..... sad that so many parents would do that but I know as well as you do, that it's pretty normal. :confused:

This morning it was -36F (actual temp) with -45F windchill. School is closed for President's Day. I have 2 kids here with parents actually at work and 4 kids here with both parents at home with older siblings. :cool: I'll never be surprised at this but I'll never understand either.

Hoping the weather in your area subsides quickly.... :hug:

Annalee 02-15-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31 (Post 726180)
Oh my goodness! I hope you are all okay... It's scary when nature is acting all crazy and there is nothing you can do about it.

..... sad that so many parents would do that but I know as well as you do, that it's pretty normal. :confused:

This morning it was -36F (actual temp) with -45F windchill. School is closed for President's Day. I have 2 kids here with parents actually at work and 4 kids here with both parents at home with older siblings. :cool: I'll never be surprised at this but I'll never understand either.

Hoping the weather in your area subsides quickly.... :hug:

Our windchill will be -10 in the morning....the concern now is the power going out due to the ice. Our power has been flickering but still ok. My brother whom lives next door has a generator. He is prepared for the family in the event the power goes out......he says we will be like the Waltons.:D

Jo123ABC 02-15-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annalee (Post 726183)
Our windchill will be -10 in the morning....the concern now is the power going out due to the ice. Our power has been flickering but still ok. My brother whom lives next door has a generator. He is prepared for the family in the event the power goes out......he says we will be like the Waltons.:D

My husband just bought a generator today for the heck of it. We had a power outage a few years back and it's been on his mind since. Not a bad thing to have I suppose. We also invested in a reverse osmosis system when we received our first stim checks to keep away from the water stores and sharing germs. We don't regret it one bit. We don't have to run around to get clean drinking water anymore. I think we'll drag the generator camping this summer :)

Valerie928 02-16-2021 12:57 AM

I'm from the Northeast. Snow and ice are the norm here November-March. Like BC we have no poisonous creatures, hurricanes or mudslides.
It has been one crazy winter for those of you down South. Stay safe everyone.

Cat Herder 02-16-2021 06:52 AM

Here has been just non-stop rain, fog and general dreariness. Rarely has it dipped below freezing, it just feels like it with the wind, darkness and wetness. Lot's of downed trees/power lines, road/bridge washouts and rivers out of their banks. Everything is sloshy, muddy and covered in mold. It is going to take a whole summer of bleach, pressure washing, chainsaws and burn piles to get us back to normal, but we will get there. I have already ordered 6 new magnolia trees in hopes for a beautiful spring. likethis

Jupadia 02-16-2021 07:02 AM

We got a snow storm last night. They canceled all the busses though schools are officially running in my area (most closed in nearby districts). It was supposed to be the first day back after being forced to do remote learning since Christmas. My kids are walkers but staying home today because their school will be 80% empty without buses running. With having to stay in cohorts it wont be the useally fun snow day at school plus their only in Kindergarten and 2ee grade. Thanks to virtual learning I also know they are done all assignments and one is actually ahead in one.

Josiegirl 02-16-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Former Teacher (Post 726167)
I am in TX and I hear what you are saying!

Everyone around us is having power issues which thankfully we haven't experienced yet. However we now have no water. Several other locals also are telling me no water.

I don't know what to do. This hasn't happened before :(

My sister's ds lives in Dallas. :( They're having a time of it. He was venturing out last night to pick up his MIL and they're all going to hunker down in my nephew's house.

I hope you and everybody else made it to the store to make a 'stock up before the storm' trip. :/

We were supposed to get anywhere from 6-12" of snow but maybe got 5" topped with freezing rain.

CenterTeacher20 02-16-2021 08:12 AM

Not trying to make fun of this situation, but I'm in North Dakota and we haven't even gotten a snow day this year! I can't believe the southern states are taking our nasty weather from us!

We've still got the cold though.

Cat Herder 02-16-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20 (Post 726194)
Not trying to make fun of this situation, but I'm in North Dakota and we haven't even gotten a snow day this year! I can't believe the southern states are taking our nasty weather from us!

We've still got the cold though.

Hopefully it will help with the 17 year plague we are supposed to have down here this year. ;);) Locusts. :ouch:

If the bad weather hits them hard and the rivers dump good silt in the lowlands, maybe we will be able to have nice harvests. likethis

CenterTeacher20 02-16-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat Herder (Post 726195)
Hopefully it will help with the 17 year plague we are supposed to have down here this year. ;);) Locusts. :ouch:

Oh my goodness :eek:

Unregistered 02-16-2021 08:28 AM

We get this crap every year. However, we are used to it. Power/Water outages extremely rare. We also drive very very slow when below 0 because sand and ice melt won't work in those temps. Having a 5 day deep freeze is unusual though. We finally getting up to 37* but more snow next 48 hours.

Sorry to those who had power outages and water outages.

And if you are not used to black ice /snow/slush or what not, definitely stay home. The pileup in TX was insanity (esp bc most were going way too fast for conditions). In the videos, the black ice was obvious to me because we deal with it but I think the people on that hwy thought it was just wet (a common mistake).

Blackcat31 02-16-2021 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20 (Post 726194)
Not trying to make fun of this situation, but I'm in North Dakota and we haven't even gotten a snow day this year! I can't believe the southern states are taking our nasty weather from us!

We've still got the cold though.

What's a snow day? :lol:

Actual temp was -36F this morning. (again) With windchill it was -45F and school was still on...kids waiting at the bus stop as normal. :Sunny: My picture is sideways...lol! but if you click on it, it appears righted... ??

Blackcat31 02-16-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 726197)
We get this crap every year. However, we are used to it. Power/Water outages extremely rare. We also drive very very slow when below 0 because sand and ice melt won't work in those temps. Having a 5 day deep freeze is unusual though. We finally getting up to 37* but more snow next 48 hours.

Sorry to those who had power outages and water outages.

And if you are not used to black ice /snow/slush or what not, definitely stay home. The pileup in TX was insanity (esp bc most were going way too fast for conditions). In the videos, the black ice was obvious to me because we deal with it but I think the people on that hwy thought it was just wet (a common mistake).

Our roads are covered in calcium chloride... works great but wreaks havoc on vehicles. :(

They use alot of sand too but mostly for traction not really for melting anything though.

CenterTeacher20 02-16-2021 09:17 AM

It's -2* here today and actually feels like -2* and not less! It's supposed to be no colder than -6* all week and moving up into the 30's next week!

Former Teacher 02-16-2021 10:01 AM

Still no water :(

We have tried everything. I am worried sick. Everyone keeps telling me I have to wait but I just want running water.

e.j. 02-16-2021 10:12 AM

Can you at least get bottled water from the store or have local stores run out of stock? Would an agency like the Red Cross be able to help with supplying drinking water to people in your area at least?

Former Teacher 02-16-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e.j. (Post 726202)
Can you at least get bottled water from the store or have local stores run out of stock? Would an agency like the Red Cross be able to help with supplying drinking water to people in your area at least?

I have bottled. Thankfully when I went to the store Saturday I grabbed some.

I am just praying that when this blanky blank thaws, I don't have busted pipes :(

Annalee 02-16-2021 01:07 PM

All government/city/county offices are closed here....even mcdonalds has closed. Grocery stores have closed at 3 since this started....no workers can make it in. surgeries were cancelled for fear of the power going out. Snow is not a biggie but this is ice and more vehicles are getting stuck in the ice ruts rather than the actual highway. It was 1994 the last time this happened. More snow expected tomorrow. :ouch:

Annalee 02-16-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31 (Post 726199)
Our roads are covered in calcium chloride... works great but wreaks havoc on vehicles. :(

They use alot of sand too but mostly for traction not really for melting anything though.

The salt they use here doesn't work on liquid so when the beginning of this mess started with freezing rain, we were done for. ??

Valerie928 02-16-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annalee (Post 726206)
The salt they use here doesn't work on liquid so when the beginning of this mess started with freezing rain, we were done for. ??

They salt the crap out of our roads around here. It's brutal on cars and the roads.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM.