Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Teachers/Students and Snow Days (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68554)

member but login error 02-04-2014 08:18 AM

Teachers/Students and Snow Days

What are your policies on snow days for teachers/students or in general?

My teacher mom understands this is really affecting me but I don't have a policy in place so I need to get one together. I would give her warning of when it takes effect. I'm still working on a contract, right now I just do state care (so I am only paid for when they are here) and the private pay people only pay when they come. Would be great except... they don't always bring their kids. I'm torn because I think being with parents is important but I am getting the short end of the stick here. I don't know how to describe or implement a policy. They do pay for the week on the first day of care of said week, but if they decide not to come, the expect/want credited for the next week and if they don't come for the week, they don't want to pay. I guess I could say, "fine, don't come this week, but if you do not pay your spot is forfeit" but enrollment is down because I have limited hours and I don't think I could financially afford that.

butterfly 02-04-2014 08:41 AM

I think you have to atleast implement a minimum payment each week. Say like $50 holds your spot and covers 2 days a week. If they don't come they still pay and if they add days, they pay for those additional days.

But in all honesty, I think it would be much easier to charge a flat weekly rate whether they come or not. - Just be prepared for the children to be there EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

KSDC 02-04-2014 08:51 AM

My families have a flat tuition rate that they pay per week. If I am open, they pay whether they come or not.

That does mean that I sometimes get kids when they could be home with their parents. But, this is my business and need to know how much $ is coming in so that I can pay my bills.

(I do give my teachers the choice of paying a smaller holding fee in the summer. But, I can only do that because I am able to fill their sopts with SA kiddos. Mainly DC graduates.)

Unregistered 02-04-2014 08:54 AM

I would certainly get a letter out there addressing the issue. You can do one of several things.

1. Go to a flat rate whether they are there or not, vacations, holidays, sick days, all missed days included. Same rate every week no matter what.

2. Offer a minimum rate like stated above. If normally scheduled for 5 days and 3 days are snow days a minimum charge of 3 days is needed to hold the spot.

3. Offer 5 (or whatever amount of days you want) "miss" days per year that can be used any way they want them. Once those days are used up, it is a flat rate from there forward till the end of the year and they get their 5 days again. I would pro rate part timers on this.

4. Go to 2 rates, a full time rate and a part time rate. 4/5 days full time rate and 3 or lesser days part time rate.

There are so many different ways to handle this. Why is it always the school teachers that think they should not have to pay when not there.....I have had this problem too. They get a set salary every year for approximately 8 months of work. They are paid whether working or not, it should flow to you also. Good luck.

Annalee 02-04-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by member but login error:
What are your policies on snow days for teachers/students or in general?

My teacher mom understands this is really affecting me but I don't have a policy in place so I need to get one together. I would give her warning of when it takes effect. I'm still working on a contract, right now I just do state care (so I am only paid for when they are here) and the private pay people only pay when they come. Would be great except... they don't always bring their kids. I'm torn because I think being with parents is important but I am getting the short end of the stick here. I don't know how to describe or implement a policy. They do pay for the week on the first day of care of said week, but if they decide not to come, the expect/want credited for the next week and if they don't come for the week, they don't want to pay. I guess I could say, "fine, don't come this week, but if you do not pay your spot is forfeit" but enrollment is down because I have limited hours and I don't think I could financially afford that.

My parents pay 52 weeks a year, regardless....this includes my vacation, holidays, emergency days, professional days, personal days, etc. One flat rate..... :)

Play Care 02-04-2014 09:20 AM

I have a special arrangement with teachers - since I don't charge for school vacations I get paid for all snow days, holidays, etc and they MUST keep their kids home those days. I explain the few snow days we *might* get are a drop in the bucket compared to all the time I'm holding spots without payment. And if they want the option of sending kids regardless of when they them working they LOSE the teacher discount as it only applies to kids on school calendar schedule.

I know this might not work for everyone but I like have fewer kids on those days or filling the spots with young SA kids.

cara041083 02-04-2014 10:28 AM

When I started out I only charged by day thinking I was helping people by doing it. Well, I would have families tell me they needed me 3 or 4 days a week and then cancel on me every morning and show 1 day a week. I could never count on the money I needed because I was at the mercy of them and since I agreed to it I couldn't do anything about it. I did that for a year. I spent a year never knowing what I was going to be making or if I was going to have enough to pay the bills. In Jan I told all the families I would be starting fresh, and putting a contract in place and that I was going to charge a flat rate, for 9.5 hours of care per child. The rate I charge is alot lower then the other daycare's in my area, but to me its worth it since its a flat rate no matter what. The families I had so many problems with finally after two weeks, pulled there kids and now I have no worries (besides the normal ones with kids lol) and I know how much I am going to make each week! It is SO nice. Good luck and trust me, the families that are worth keeping will stay, and the ones that arn't will go somewhere else.:hug:

Annalee 02-04-2014 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by cara041083:
When I started out I only charged by day thinking I was helping people by doing it. Well, I would have families tell me they needed me 3 or 4 days a week and then cancel on me every morning and show 1 day a week. I could never count on the money I needed because I was at the mercy of them and since I agreed to it I couldn't do anything about it. I did that for a year. I spent a year never knowing what I was going to be making or if I was going to have enough to pay the bills. In Jan I told all the families I would be starting fresh, and putting a contract in place and that I was going to charge a flat rate, for 9.5 hours of care per child. The rate I charge is alot lower then the other daycare's in my area, but to me its worth it since its a flat rate no matter what. The families I had so many problems with finally after two weeks, pulled there kids and now I have no worries (besides the normal ones with kids lol) and I know how much I am going to make each week! It is SO nice. Good luck and trust me, the families that are worth keeping will stay, and the ones that arn't will go somewhere else.:hug:

happyface YOU GO GIRL! happyface

Scribbles 02-04-2014 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have a special arrangement with teachers - since I don't charge for school vacations I get paid for all snow days, holidays, etc and they MUST keep their kids home those days. I explain the few snow days we *might* get are a drop in the bucket compared to all the time I'm holding spots without payment. And if they want the option of sending kids regardless of when they them working they LOSE the teacher discount as it only applies to kids on school calendar schedule.

I know this might not work for everyone but I like have fewer kids on those days or filling the spots with young SA kids.

I also make a "deal" with teacher families. No charges for non-school days and cancellations but they must keep their kids home those days.

During the summer though, I charge teacher families a flat fee (about 30% of their regular monthly rate) to hold their space.

They cant bring their kids if they choose that method. Well, they can but if they do, it's an additional charge and only if space is available.

Or they can pay 50% their regular rate and attend 2 days. Additional days are additional fees and only if available as I do take a lot of drop ins and younger school agers in the summer months.

My teachers like having options verse just a one-size-fits-all rule.

Second Home 02-04-2014 01:56 PM

I have 1 parent who is a asst principal .
Our contract for her kids is one flat fee for the week ( before / after school) whether school closes or not . If the kids have no school but she has to work then she pays the additional $$ for the full day

I do not charge her for the summer as she has a college student watch her kids because it is cheaper for 3 kids , but I do not hold her spot open for when school begins . If I I have an interview and may fill her spot I would call her and give her the chance to either pay to hold the spot or bring her kids here .

Crazy8 02-04-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by KSDC:
My families have a flat tuition rate that they pay per week. If I am open, they pay whether they come or not.

That does mean that I sometimes get kids when they could be home with their parents. But, this is my business and need to know how much $ is coming in so that I can pay my bills.

(I do give my teachers the choice of paying a smaller holding fee in the summer. But, I can only do that because I am able to fill their sopts with SA kiddos. Mainly DC graduates.)

this exactly. I don't feel its my place to tell parents they can not use a day they are paying for because they are home from work. Used to bug me but I had to let it go long ago!

e.j. 02-04-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by KSDC:

Same here. I treat teacher snow days the same way I treat any absence. Unless I make the decison to close my day care, the parents are still expected to pay for their child's spot. It doesn't matter if their child is home due to illness, weather, family vacation, visit from grandma, etc.

Play Care 02-05-2014 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy8:
this exactly. I don't feel its my place to tell parents they can not use a day they are paying for because they are home from work. Used to bug me but I had to let it go long ago!

My teachers are all given the option of the special "teacher" policy OR paying year round like everyone else. They *all* choose the teacher option. That isn't saying they can't take a personal day off work and still send their kids in to dc, but for the holidays and snow days they don't - and that's *their* choosing. I still have a steady income AND a lighter load. Win-win. :D

cheerfuldom 02-05-2014 06:54 AM

I have the "teacher" option too which means they don't pay for spring and Christmas break or summer break. this is perfect for me because I have two of my own schoolagers that are home for breaks and I appreciate the lighter daycare load. Any other week during the year, the teachers pay for the full week based on enrollment not attendance. This week we had three snow days so far and the teachers are paying for every day. They get paid, why should I not get paid? Plus it is hard to find a teacher option in our town with home daycares. SAHMs will offer it but they are unreliable care which I hear a lot of teachers complain about. I am reliable to the max. Only missed two days in 6 years (pats myself on the back)

KDC 02-05-2014 08:02 AM

When I first started, I didn't know about this website and I was just happy with the clients I got (mostly teachers). We struggled every.single.summer. I have since changed my policy and contracts that every teacher must pay a minimum of 2 days weather the child attends or not for the summer months to hold their spot. The 2 days will be set at the beginning of summer and scheduled to fit my needs. They all must pay for spring/christmas & holidays, but they are welcome to send their children. When I first started all the teachers would keep their children home for breaks/snow days, but now they almost all bring their children no matter what. I'm second guessing this rule:rolleyes:. I'm not sure how I would chance the pricing structure to accommodate this time off.

I charge a daily rate. You pay for the spot, therefore if you don't show up on a regularly scheduled day for whatever reason payment is still expected. I have written (2 sick days and 1 personal educational day) into my contract annually. Any sick or vacation days that exceed these days are unpaid.