Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unions and state payments (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73024)

jokalima 08-15-2014 06:27 AM

Unions and state payments

I would like to know if any of you a part of a Union? Are you forced to be part of it?

It has been approved that here in my state us providers can be part of a union. I am not to happy about it and I really don't want to be part of it. I don't feel like I need it or that it will change anything for me. I know someone that works really close to this and that person told me that letters have been sent and the info. in them is not a good one for many providers.

The agency, where my friend works, they give trainings to home providers. The union said that in order for providers to recieve payments from Care 4 Kids, they have to take the training, even those providers that already took it like myself. I took it about a year ago. Not only that, she also told me that in order to be able to get payments from C4K we have to become members of the Union.

I don't like to be forced to do things against my will and it really feels that way right now. Not only that, she told me that they sent letters to parents as well telling them that if their providers don't take the trainings they must change providers in order to recieve help with day care payments.

They got us a "raise" but it's just minimun. If we have to become part of the union that "raise" is going to cover union fees. The lady from the union that came to visit me told me that if I become a member and then decide not to be a member any more I would still have to pay union fees :confused::confused::confused:

Someone here has any experience with this?

Wubby 08-15-2014 06:52 AM

In Oregon, anyone taking state paid kids get $35 taken out of their check. This has been going on for years, but I did just read there was a case in another state that fought it and won. You might google it.

Blackcat31 08-15-2014 07:12 AM

Our state just won the right to say no to unions and fair share fees being deducted from state paid subsidy payments.

"Monday’s Harris v Quinn ruling appears to set a legal precedent prohibiting public employee unions from charging compulsory fair share fees from child-care providers or personal care assistants in Minnesota and across the country."

http://www.childcareunioninfo.com/index.html

Here is the Harris v Quinn ruling http://www.supremecourt.gov/harrisvquinn

jokalima 08-15-2014 08:05 AM

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess I'll have to wait until we receive the letter tomorrow and see what the reaction will be. My contact says she knows first hand most providers are not going to be thrilled about it. She works directly with providers bit she has to maintain neutral about it. Let's see, cause I really don't have a good feeling about this.

Second Home 08-15-2014 08:57 AM

In MD if you have state paid kids you are forced to be part of the union . For those who do not it is optional . And truth be told this( plus the stars program) is the reason I will not accept state paid kids .

SignMeUp 08-15-2014 09:54 AM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Child...81095595292446

That's the facebook page for a group of providers working against unionization. There is info about Harris vs Quinn if you read back through the statuses, and a lot of info on their website too. I think this is theirs: http://www.childcareunioninfo.com/

If I remember correctly, they have information from many different states, court cases, etc.

They are on the forefront of this issue, clearly from one side only though - so if you are looking for pro-union information, you will want to balance it with information from elsewhere. They tend to be Republican-oriented, and also sometimes they make religious statements, just so you know that. It's totally possible to read for content though, and leave behind any parts that you don't believe come into play in this issue. I believe their information is solid. Some of these providers are involved in some of the court cases.

itlw8 08-15-2014 12:12 PM

do some research pretty sure they can not do that. providers in one of the Midwest states... not sure which one got a ruling from the supreme court this summer. It was IL Harris v. Quinn found it they can not force you to pay dues if you do not join because you are not an employee

KiddieCahoots 08-15-2014 02:26 PM

My state has been unionized for about a year now.
We are union for state voucher only, whether we like it or not, but not for private clients. We have to pay union dues of 1.5% on the state voucher monies we earn, but will not have any voice on matters or be able to vote on union ballots unless we join the union. So it's a catch 22!

We've received almost the whole of the 10% raise they've promised, only about 3% left to get. So it's nice to see a raise in voucher monies, and if you do the math, it clearly does not all go to union dues.

But I still am very wary of the union.

Does anyone think the union involvement in childcare is beneficial?

SignMeUp 08-15-2014 04:16 PM

I am no expert, but here is what I realized after watching many hours of middle-of-the-night legislative wrangling in our state legislature:
Only three or four DFL legislators were willing to even entertain the idea that unionization was not appropriate for family child care providers. Only one or two would vote against it.
Legitimate questions were ignored or flat-out lies were told.
IF the union would be voted in (by a "voting group" that is set up to exclude a majority of family child care providers) the union would be bargaining for higher rates WITH THE LEGISLATURE. So -- if the legislature wants higher rates, why not skip the unneccessary middleman and just approve higher rates??
Repeatedly, the distorted representation was that state funds subsidize child care providers. They do not. They subsidize the cost of child care FOR FAMILIES with children.
My take-away: Unions want to get into our purses. Democrats are reluctant to vote against this because they will look bad to somebody (the unions? the working man/woman?) What the unions SAY they want to do, can easily be done without the union, by the same legislators who want the union. If your state is majority Democrat, it is hard to fight the union machine. I say this as a life-long (former)Democrat, and daughter of a proud union man.

Josiegirl 08-16-2014 10:03 AM

I don't know enough about it all to make a judgment call yet, as to the benefits. But I do know if we take state subsidized kids we will have to join the union. In Vt., they just passed so now we have the ability to form a union.
I would love to see providers be able to change regs and STARS requirements but I don't believe that's part of the deal?
Another thing I'd love to see is getting insurance rates reduced for members because the only insurance I have at the moment is through my dh's work. And since he and I have been separated over 6 years, I'd like to cut that tie. :( But I can't afford to buy insurance on my own.

itlw8 08-16-2014 03:44 PM

not sure of the cost but NAFCC offered health ins

Luvnmykidz 08-16-2014 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Second Home:
In MD if you have state paid kids you are forced to be part of the union . For those who do not it is optional . And truth be told this( plus the stars program) is the reason I will not accept state paid kids .

I'm in MD. PG County to be exact. Can you post or pm me the info or where to find it in regards to the stars program, the union and having state paid kids please. I opened this year and have had several calls for state paid, not really sure how it works or what I'm supposed to do, or if I even want to take it. Thank you

Second Home 08-16-2014 05:29 PM

I will look for it , it came in one of the partners newsletters the state sends out if I remember correctly anx it was a while ago . By Jan 2015 you must participate in stars to get reimbursed from the state . I believe that info is on the maryland excells / stars website .

The union info was at least 1or 2 years ago , I will try to find that too.