Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Infant Formula Do You Provide (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62102)

Oneluckymom 05-02-2013 05:02 PM

What Infant Formula Do You Provide

I am on the food program and have always offered similac advance. But it's expensive and I'm not sure if I get fully reimbursed.

I was thinking of offering a generic formula for the infant I have starting at the end of the month.

MarinaVanessa 05-02-2013 05:05 PM

I offer the Kirkland brand (Costco). No one has taken me up on it so far EVER but that suits me just fine :D

Cradle2crayons 05-02-2013 05:22 PM

I'm not on a food program but a local community organization gives me quite a bit of every kind of formula so I almost always have what they need unless its prescription

nannyde 05-02-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I offer the Kirkland brand (Costco). No one has taken me up on it so far EVER but that suits me just fine :D

Exactly

itlw8 05-02-2013 05:29 PM

I do parents choice from walmart but I know someone that only offers soy so no one ever wants it and if they need soy she changes it

mema 05-02-2013 05:35 PM

I offer Sam's Club brand. Every baby I have had has used it and none of them used it at home:rolleyes:.

LaLa1923 05-02-2013 05:40 PM

likethislikethis

I use this, but I also tell them that I get whatever is on sale and the cheapest.

MarinaVanessa 05-02-2013 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by itlw8:
I do parents choice from walmart but I know someone that only offers soy so no one ever wants it and if they need soy she changes it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Little Star75 05-02-2013 06:10 PM

I also offer Kirkland but most parent either use similar or Enfamil. As long as you offer something and if parent denies your formula you still get reimburse but the parent must fill out the form.

Oneluckymom 05-02-2013 10:09 PM

Thanks !! I'll probably go with kirkland .

Patches 05-02-2013 10:20 PM

I'ver been offering Parent's Choice Advantage because that's the cheapest I've found from walmart (I might start going to Sam's) and all of my infants have used Parent's Choice Gentle (which is like $1 more) so I haven't had to provide any yet, but I know it's coming that a parent will say "oh that's close enough" and stop brining formula

TheGoodLife 05-02-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by itlw8:

:lol:

MrsSteinel'sHouse 05-03-2013 03:54 AM

I offer the parent's choice also but my mamas have breastfed so I haven't had an issue.

melilley 05-03-2013 04:50 AM

I offer Target Premium with Iron. I buy it for my own son and the other baby I have doesn't use it so it works out.

BumbleBee 05-03-2013 05:09 AM

Meijer Baby

Nobody has taken me up on it so far.

AmyKidsCo 05-03-2013 08:11 AM

I offer Enfamil because I think the babies are worth it. But I also choose higher quality foods for the older ones also, because I think it's worth it.

mnemom 05-03-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I offer Enfamil because I think the babies are worth it. But I also choose higher quality foods for the older ones also, because I think it's worth it.

Is there really that big of a difference between store brand and brand name? I would think their is a standard that all formula must adhere to.

blandino 05-03-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mnemom:
Is there really that big of a difference between store brand and brand name? I would think their is a standard that all formula must adhere to.

I had a discussion with someone about his the other day. They said that store brand formula goes through one less (the final) quality check than the name brand ones do. And that up until that point they are all the same.

blandino 05-03-2013 09:09 AM

I definitely do think they are worth it, and I think that's why so many providers have stated that the DC parents don't use the formula they provide. I offer the store brand formulas, but if I ever had a parents take me up on it I would probably buy a better formula. As nannyde said, which I think applies to all PPs "that's the point" of why we offer store brand.

Back when we used to offer name brand formula, and parents took us up on it, they were bringing babies in starving in the morning so that they could save on formula. That's when we decided that if at all possible we would prefer the parents to provide their own formula.

blandino 05-03-2013 09:36 AM

Double post.

MrsSteinel'sHouse 05-03-2013 09:41 AM

Oh another thing I have done is I provide am snack , lunch, dinner bottles. If your child drinks more than that, every 2 hours etc... Then you must provide those. That is what is reimbursable. But, like I said, I have had nursing moms recently.

jenn 05-03-2013 09:44 AM

Same here! We don't have a Costco, but I offer a generic brand. No one has ever asked me to provide it. They either already have a brand they like and bring it, or they breastfeed.

MNMum 05-03-2013 12:02 PM

My understanding on the difference between the name brand and store brand: Enfamil and Similac sell their old recipes to the "stores". So the store brand would not have the most up to date ingredients, ie the extra DHA, etc. They all have to pass basic requirements - which are just that, very basic. I had planned on offering Kirkland - but my 2 day baby took me up on it, and I wouldn't have gone through the large canister in a month. So I offered them the Target brand. What slays me about this, is they are a family that is very into healthy eating, yet they didn't care what kind of formula I fed their kid. Also, mom was still pumping. But since I offered the formula, they stopped bringing the breastmilk. I do everything possible to support the breastfeeding moms, it saves me money and it is what is best for baby.

MNMommy2 05-03-2013 12:09 PM

Parent's Choice from Walmart. My current family uses it (boo) but they are only pt, so it lasts a LONG time.

ABCDEFG 05-03-2013 12:12 PM

Kirkland. All of them have taken me up on it.

DaisyMamma 05-03-2013 01:24 PM

I offer milk based formula. I do not specify what it is. I'm not required to offer it per my food program so if parents want something in particular they supply it.
IMO and my DDs pediatrician all milk based formulas are the same. So basically I use whatever is free. Samples from manufacturers, using checks from manufacturers, samples & checks from friends, etc.

WoodOx 05-03-2013 03:03 PM

:DI offer emfamil, but in the 6 years in day care NO parent has selected it.... they go for similac sensitive, almost every infant i have cared for has had that kind.
i currently care for 2 infants and both their parents supply the formula and yes its Similac...

melilley 05-03-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mnemom:

I compared the ingredients in Target brand formula to the ingredients in Enfamil and they are the exact same thing.

AmyKidsCo 05-03-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by blandino:
I definitely do think they are worth it, and I think that's why so many providers have stated that the DC parents don't use the formula they provide. I offer the store brand formulas, but if I ever had a parents take me up on it I would probably buy a better formula. As nannyde said, which I think applies to all PPs "that's the point" of why we offer store brand.

Back when we used to offer name brand formula, and parents took us up on it, they were bringing babies in starving in the morning so that they could save on formula. That's when we decided that if at all possible we would prefer the parents to provide their own formula.

I didn't mean to sound snotty - IMO it looks better to parents to say you offer a brand name formula than a store brand. And to be honest, our grocery store has a limited selection and I don't have time to go to another store just for formula. :)

blandino 05-03-2013 07:06 PM

I didn't mean to sound snotty - IMO it looks better to parents to say you offer a brand name formula than a store brand. And to be honest, our grocery store has a limited selection and I don't have time to go to another store just for formula. :)

I can totally see where you are coming from, and I do think it sounds better, but I don't want it to sound good. :rolleyes:;). I also mean that in a totally not rude way. I just would rather it not sound appealing to them.

I just haven't had not so great experiences
providing formula, so I would rather parents weren't excited to use my offered formula.

:)

Honestly this thread is making me think of MarinaVanessa's FP provided breast-milk story. I was doing dishes sometime this week, and found myself laughing about it.

blandino 05-03-2013 07:54 PM

Double post.

Patches 05-05-2013 03:31 AM

I think I'm going to switch to Well Beginnings (Walgreens brand) formula. I think the parents will be less likely to choose that.

Willow 05-05-2013 10:36 AM

As long as it's average priced I'll supply it. I have one on regular Similac and another on Similac Advance. It's really no big deal.

Personally, with the exception of breastfed babies, I think if I'm being reimbursed I should be supplying the food.

SquirrellyMama 05-05-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Willow:
Personally, with the exception of breastfed babies, I think if I'm being reimbursed I should be supplying the food.

When I was on the food program I would have been losing money if I had supplied the name brand formula. It would be more cost effective to not be on the food program for infants, in that case. It wasn't worth it which is why I also went for the generic brand. The parents decided to supply it. I think it was my food program lady that told me to put the generic so the parents would supply it.

K

Michelle 05-05-2013 11:32 AM

I buy the Kirkland as well but I have one family that buys all different brands at home ...basically, whatever is on sale..
Does anyone know if that is bad for the baby?
She knows I give her Kirkland and is fine with that.

Starburst 05-05-2013 12:33 PM

I think you only have to provide some type of formula and make it available but not necessarily any type of brand. I heard for the most part they all meet the minimum nutrition requirements. http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weekl...by_formula.htm

http://www.wisebread.com/why-theres-...d-baby-formula

The director of my schools child care center said that when they took had infants the parents mostly brought the formula but then the food program said that they have to provide baby formula, but it did not say a specific brand- she said she just bought the cheapest brand because most of the parents brought their own anyway- it would most likely be a back up if they run out. And good thing she didn't by the expensive brands because they closed the baby room shortly after that (school budget cuts).

I plan on going on food program when I open. I am currently still working on my policies but unless the rules change in food program requirements here is what I have when it comes to formula:

"I will keep baby formula in stock and available on the child care property for all the enrolled infants. However, I am not legally required or obligated to provide certain brands or multiple brands. It is suggested that families with infants whom require or prefer special formula brands bring their own."

Because no matter what brand you buy, chances are there will be a few families where the baby is allergic to that brand or they don't like it or for some reason want another brand. Also make sure that they understand it is for use at your home, not off the daycare property.

Former Teacher 05-05-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michelle:
I buy the Kirkland as well but I have one family that buys all different brands at home ...basically, whatever is on sale..
Does anyone know if that is bad for the baby?
She knows I give her Kirkland and is fine with that.

You read my mind Michelle. I was just going to post about providers/parents who are buying whatever formula is on sale etc.

I was always told that it IS bad for baby to be changing formula on a regular basis.

Maybe formula changed their ingredients :lol::confused:

Starburst 05-05-2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
You read my mind Michelle. I was just going to post about providers/parents who are buying whatever formula is on sale etc.

I was always told that it IS bad for baby to be changing formula on a regular basis.

I heard the same thing about cat food.