Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dilemma! WWYD?? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57277)

Suzanne 12-19-2012 10:00 AM

Dilemma! WWYD??

So, most of my 3 and 4 yr olds have almost completely moved on to preschool. Right now my dc kids ages are 7 mo., two 1.5 yr. olds and a 3 yr. old that comes 3x a week. I also have a 4 yr. old that comes 4x a week. Therein lies the issue. This morning the 4 yr old's dad comes in (boy still in car) and says that dc boy left his toys at home and do I have anything "new" or "different" for him to play with. I don't have any new toys at the moment but I have quite a lot of age-appropriate toys for him to play with. He then took the boy home to get his toys to bring back. Is it just me, or is this crazy? I've already bent over backward for this family by letting him play quietly during naptime instead of taking a nap because he wasn't going to bed at night. I've taken legos and superheroes from my own boys for him to play with during this time...just for him. I don't know what else to do except suggest for them to maybe find other care where he can be around kids his own age. Anyone else encounter a similar dilemma? Any suggestions?

MamaG 12-19-2012 10:46 AM

Never had a dcf stupid enough to think their child couldn't socialize and play with children of ALL ages sufficiently. If they feel like he needs other 4 year olds to be happy they should find a main stream preschool and enroll him. Yea it'll cost tons more tho. So if they don't want to spend the money then they can either drop the attitude or find new care. Oh and the kid would lay down for qt! My state law requires all kids under 5 lay down for a nap even if they don't sleep.

Dcd sounds rude. You should let him know his options since he is so unhappy with your care.

Play Care 12-19-2012 10:56 AM

It sounds as though he is not a good fit for your program.
I had a 4 yo boy last year and he did attend preschool three days per week. But he also played very well with my 3 yo dc boy when he didn't have school. He did bring toys on occasion, but it also wasn't a huge deal if he forgot. He was disappointed once because he had really wanted to show the 3 yo something, but mom certainly didn't leave to go get it! The fact that Dad did tells me that they also feel the child is "bored" in your care. You could address it and see if things change, or let them find a program geared to preschoolers.

Blackcat31 12-19-2012 12:10 PM

I do not take children who don't require naps.
I do not allow any toys from home.

Sounds to me like they should really find a more suitable daycare for him.

You seem to be doing a lot of "extra" for nothing....kwim?

Suzanne 12-19-2012 01:30 PM

I agree- I don't really get a break with this kid. He doesn't even play with the toys he brings from home. I set him up with paper, glue, scissors, crayons, stickers, etc. and he barely drew one line then crawled under the train table and just laid there. He is terminally bored, beyond what is reasonable for his age. Nothing seems to keep his interest. I ended up telling df that its probably time for him to move on (it nice terms, of course) and he agreed. I really don't mind saying goodbye to this family. I've only been doing childcare for about 4 yrs and I'm learning a lot of things the hard way, like I need to stick to my policies. Its actually written in my contract that children must lay down for a nap and not bring toys from home, etc. PLUS they're constantly 10 - 15 min. late and I've never charged a late fee. I have only myself to blame, really. So they'll find other care and I will fill his spot with a younger child and not make this mistake again.
Btw, this is the ONLY family that gives me a headache. So far I've been pretty lucky.
Thanks for the words of advice. I love this forum!!

Blackcat31 12-19-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne:
I agree- I don't really get a break with this kid. He doesn't even play with the toys he brings from home. I set him up with paper, glue, scissors, crayons, stickers, etc. and he barely drew one line then crawled under the train table and just laid there. He is terminally bored, beyond what is reasonable for his age. Nothing seems to keep his interest. I ended up telling df that its probably time for him to move on (it nice terms, of course) and he agreed. I really don't mind saying goodbye to this family. I've only been doing childcare for about 4 yrs and I'm learning a lot of things the hard way, like I need to stick to my policies. Its actually written in my contract that children must lay down for a nap and not bring toys from home, etc. PLUS they're constantly 10 - 15 min. late and I've never charged a late fee. I have only myself to blame, really. So they'll find other care and I will fill his spot with a younger child and not make this mistake again.
Btw, this is the ONLY family that gives me a headache. So far I've been pretty lucky.
Thanks for the words of advice. I love this forum!!

Glad things worked out ok! Nice way to start the new year....no stressful families! Yah!!! happyface