Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking Into A Center Not Home Based (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65177)

kat11218 09-16-2013 01:36 PM

Looking Into A Center Not Home Based

Hey everyone. My name is Kathy and I've been a Kindergarten teacher in South Jersey for 10 years. I had my son last year and chose to stay home with him as long as possible. We are looking into a day care center not home based business and would like any suggestions on what we would need PHYSICALLY to start up. In terms of furniture, equipment, etc. I have read and understood the spacing, ratio requirements but would like someone who is doing this to tell me some must haves besides the obvious tables, chairs, and cubbies. ie I forgot about nap mats for each child until I sat and began a list.

Also, do you use a packaged curriculum or your own mix.

Do you have employees? Assistant? I will have so many more questions as I think of them and I really appreciate any and all guidance.

Margarete 09-16-2013 01:59 PM

What age group are you looking at serving? That will affect equipment, and curriculum quite a bit.

Blackcat31 09-16-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by kat11218:
Hey everyone. My name is Kathy and I've been a Kindergarten teacher in South Jersey for 10 years. I had my son last year and chose to stay home with him as long as possible. We are looking into a day care center not home based business and would like any suggestions on what we would need PHYSICALLY to start up. In terms of furniture, equipment, etc. I have read and understood the spacing, ratio requirements but would like someone who is doing this to tell me some must haves besides the obvious tables, chairs, and cubbies. ie I forgot about nap mats for each child until I sat and began a list.

Do you have employees? Assistant? I will have so many more questions as I think of them and I really appreciate any and all guidance.

Welcome to the forum!! :)

Hopeful this will be a very helpful place for you!

kat11218 09-16-2013 02:43 PM

Ohhh thats how you quick reply. LOL
I would like to serve infants through school age and eventually include Kindergarten which would entail a whole new set of rules I'm sure.
Either way,we are looking for a building that would house multiple rooms, even if they do not fill early on. In NJ, the process begins with the building. But if I find a suitable building, I'd like to begin soon after closing on it.
I've begun to develop a handbook and schedules from various sources.
I am looking to compile a list of items that every student will need so I could determine a startup/registration fee.
Trying to put together all of the info to make sure this will eventually be a profitable endeavor and not one that will have us lose money continuously.
Thanks for the quick replies already!

preschoolteacher 09-16-2013 05:09 PM

Look into your state's requirements for equipment. In MN here, we have a list of required items (crib/cot for each child, high chair for each baby, etc.) and a list of suggested items (toys, games, activities). This will vary from state to state.

Laurel 09-16-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by kat11218:

If I were you, I'd visit some centers to get ideas.

Laurel