Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting a Word in Edgewise :) (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76622)

Josiegirl 03-18-2015 02:34 AM

Getting a Word in Edgewise :)

What can you do with a very vocal 4 yo who talks everybody's ears off? All day long. You ask questions and she's always the one who answers. You read a book and she always interjects with random thoughts. You try to include everyone in conversation at meal times and she hogs it all. You try to talk with someone, anyone, and she interrupts.

Everything I've done so far hasn't made a dent in her habit.

I'm thinking of using something, especially at mealtimes, to indicate it's someone's turn to talk, such as passing around a toy or object.

She attends preschool and I was hoping I'd see a change in her(in many ways) but if anything, she's worse than she was. I really need to work on this. I'm sure some day these skills will do her well in life but dang, it's hard for me right now. :)

Another thing I'm having an issue with is she 'has' to be the one to open the door, shut the door, do this, do that, excluding others who would like to help. I'm thinking of instituting a special day for each of them where they get to do these things. How does everybody work with that?

Any suggestions with either of these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!
You know, sometimes we just need some help to think of something different or look at things a different way. I'm so glad I have this place to come to. :):)

Rockgirl 03-18-2015 05:07 AM

Oh, I have one of those! She's six now, has been here since age 2. If I specifically address another child and the "outspoken" girl answers for them, I say, "Suzy, I was asking Johnny that question. Please let him answer." Ok, I admit to sometimes just saying, "You're not Johnny." Lol

As for insisting on doing everything, we rotate days for the children to have their own days, like you suggested in your post. It cuts out so much conflict, because everyone knows whose day it is.

Annalee 03-18-2015 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What can you do with a very vocal 4 yo who talks everybody's ears off? All day long. You ask questions and she's always the one who answers. You read a book and she always interjects with random thoughts. You try to include everyone in conversation at meal times and she hogs it all. You try to talk with someone, anyone, and she interrupts.

Everything I've done so far hasn't made a dent in her habit.

I'm thinking of using something, especially at mealtimes, to indicate it's someone's turn to talk, such as passing around a toy or object.

She attends preschool and I was hoping I'd see a change in her(in many ways) but if anything, she's worse than she was. I really need to work on this. I'm sure some day these skills will do her well in life but dang, it's hard for me right now. :)

Another thing I'm having an issue with is she 'has' to be the one to open the door, shut the door, do this, do that, excluding others who would like to help. I'm thinking of instituting a special day for each of them where they get to do these things. How does everybody work with that?

Any suggestions with either of these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!
You know, sometimes we just need some help to think of something different or look at things a different way. I'm so glad I have this place to come to. :):)

:lol:I have the "talker" at my daycare.....have had her since she was one and she will go to kindy in August. The noise level goes up a notch at my daycare when she is present. She only comes 2 days a week. She is very intelligent, beyond her years with vocabulary. She is a first child and spent most of her time with adults till her sibling was born. At daycare, we tell her "I appreciate that you are keeping an eye on everyone but who are the teachers?" or "is your name xxxx, we are talking to xxxx" or "Let's allow someone else to answer". She grins with her beautiful smile and really tries but it is like she just can't help it.:lol: It has helped that her parents are doing the same thing at home because they know when school time comes, it will depend on the personality of the teacher if they are appreciative of this little girl's personality. kwim????:ouch:

Kabob 03-18-2015 05:31 AM

I have a chatty, stubborn, independent 2.5 yo dcg here but I adore her...she reminds me as a kid...and I remember a teacher getting fed up with me in kindergarten and snapping at me to quit asking so many questions so I try my best to redirect dcg kindly.

Things that work are reminding her that it is rude to interrupt others unless it is very important (you must define what is important first), in which case she must interject with "excuse me". She caught on pretty fast to that.

When she is being just plain chatty and I need a break, I tell her to go talk to the baby (she loves this so both win) or go talk to ds. My ds doesn't mind being talked to constantly and will respond with "ok" or "yup" at various pauses...dh and I joke that he would make the perfect husband for dcg some day. :lol:

As for doing things for everyone, I remind dcg that others are learning how to do those things too and need to practice doing it themselves. Or I simply say "It's so-and-so's turn" before she even starts to do it. I also taught her to ask if they need help if she wants to help them...everyone is proficient in saying no. :)

I know it can be draining but at least my talker keeps things interesting... :lol: