Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Independent Activities (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89352)

mamamanda 04-27-2018 07:39 AM

Independent Activities

So... independent activities that can be taken out one at a time, used on a mat, & put away when done... I'm thinking of a nature box, a music box, some sort of creative box...what other activities would be good for this with toddlers up through age 3? I'm wanting to introduce a calmer independent play time once a day.

Blackcat31 04-27-2018 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mamamanda:
So... independent activities that can be taken out one at a time, used on a mat, & put away when done... I'm thinking of a nature box, a music box, some sort of creative box...what other activities would be good for this with toddlers up through age 3? I'm wanting to introduce a calmer independent play time once a day.

I don't provide many independent activities for the under 3 crowd as their goal is socialization and positive peer interactions so I encourage them to not play alone...lol!

I do provide lots of independent activities for the 3+ crowd but most of things I have available for that age group are things like counting/sorting bags, lacing cards, science experiments, writing activities and small motor skill practice (scissors, gluing, tracing etc)

Sorry, I am not much help as most of the activities I have I wouldn't trust an under 3 kid to do independently.. :ouch: :p

mamamanda 04-27-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't provide many independent activities for the under 3 crowd as their goal is socialization and positive peer interactions so I encourage them to not play alone...lol!

I do provide lots of independent activities for the 3+ crowd but most of things I have available for that age group are things like counting/sorting bags, lacing cards, science experiments, writing activities and small motor skill practice (scissors, gluing, tracing etc)

Sorry, I am not much help as most of the activities I have I wouldn't trust an under 3 kid to do independently.. :ouch: :p

That's the problem I'm running into. It's hard to come up with stuff to hold their attention but age appropriate this young. Most of our day is free play style & they all play together. With the exception of our table activities which we do every morning, but again we all kind of work together & it lasts 30min to an hour depending on their interest level. Honestly I was picturing this as something they could do during pick up times to keep things nice & calm during that end of day transition. Or to pull out randomly for the 2 yo who gets frustrated with others in his space all the time. :ouch:

Blackcat31 04-27-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mamamanda:
That's the problem I'm running into. It's hard to come up with stuff to hold their attention but age appropriate this young. Most of our day is free play style & they all play together. With the exception of our table activities which we do every morning, but again we all kind of work together & it lasts 30min to an hour depending on their interest level. Honestly I was picturing this as something they could do during pick up times to keep things nice & calm during that end of day transition. Or to pull out randomly for the 2 yo who gets frustrated with others in his space all the time. :ouch:

For the 2 yr old, I would just make sure you have a space where anyone wanting some alone time can go sit and take a break from "public"....let him (and anyone who needs to) use the space when they need it. Recognizing the need for a break is a good way to start focusing on independence which in turn leads to being capable of independent activities.

As for activities prior to pick up, you can provide independent activities within a group...

Book time
Drawing/coloring
Block play

You can give each child the materials he/she needs but when it's time for them to leave, they put away only the materials they used while the other kids continue to participate without disruption. :)

mamamanda 04-27-2018 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For the 2 yr old, I would just make sure you have a space where anyone wanting some alone time can go sit and take a break from "public"....let him (and anyone who needs to) use the space when they need it. Recognizing the need for a break is a good way to start focusing on independence which in turn leads to being capable of independent activities.

As for activities prior to pick up, you can provide independent activities within a group...

Book time
Drawing/coloring
Block play

You can give each child the materials he/she needs but when it's time for them to leave, they put away only the materials they used while the other kids continue to participate without disruption. :)

Great ideas! Thank you!