Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gassy Baby (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88373)

mamamanda 01-24-2018 11:09 AM

Gassy Baby

My little niece is 5 mo & she's been pretty colicky all along. I've read about the purple period of crying, but this is way, way more than what I'd consider normal & even though she's nearing six months it's getting worse instead of better. She often cries 6-7 of the 10 hours she's here & may cry another 7 hours for mom at home. She hardly sleeps for all the crying. Last night she cried for 4 hours straight & then projectile vomited a huge wad of mucus followed by tons of milk. She immediately calmed & went to sleep only to wake up less than 2 hours later crying again.

Her mom took her to the Dr today. We were thinking maybe reflux? Dr did x-rays to check for a bowel blockage, but didn't think reflux was likely since she doesn't throw up often. However when she does it's always that thick mucusy stuff. X-rays showed large amount of trapped gas but no other issues. So they're assuming the gas is causing discomfort however we've tried gas drops & they don't help.

She also isn't eating as much as normal, arches & pulls away from both bottle & breast, & seems constantly tired (obviously since she doesn't sleep long at all. She is a breastfed baby. Have you experienced anything like this?

Pestle 01-24-2018 11:43 AM

Aren't all of those symptoms signs of a milk intolerance? Has that already been discussed and ruled out?

mamamanda 01-24-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pestle:
Aren't all of those symptoms signs of a milk intolerance? Has that already been discussed and ruled out?

I just mentioned that to mom today. It hadn't occurred to me until this week. She's looking into it.

hwichlaz 01-24-2018 01:33 PM

gas drops have never, ever, worked for any child I've given them to, other than a brief smile because they taste good. What does seem to work for gas, is home made gripe water. It's a weak chamomile and fennel tea, with about 1/2 tsp of baking soda added to 1 cup of the tea. You put it in the fridge, and administer 1/2 tsp at a time. They start belching almost immediately. Though, if it's not MY baby, I'd want mom to make it and send it in.

mamamanda 01-24-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
gas drops have never, ever, worked for any child I've given them to, other than a brief smile because they taste good. What does seem to work for gas, is home made gripe water. It's a weak chamomile and fennel tea, with about 1/2 tsp of baking soda added to 1 cup of the tea. You put it in the fridge, and administer 1/2 tsp at a time. They start belching almost immediately. Though, if it's not MY baby, I'd want mom to make it and send it in.

Thank you! I'll try that. It's my sister's baby & we're very close so I'm sure she'll be happy to have something to try.

TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01-24-2018 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I just mentioned that to mom today. It hadn't occurred to me until this week. She's looking into it.

I second testing the dairy theory. Sound's similar to my dd before we figured it out. Once I stopped with dairy we saw immediate results. So much so that a few weeks later I gave her bag of frozen breast milk that I didn't think to throw out and had pumped before I stopped dairy, the screaming started shortly after that bottle and subsided several hours later.

Literally all she needs to do to look into it is stop dairy for a few days and see what happens.

HappyEverAfter 01-26-2018 06:32 PM

My nephew who I watch is super gassy. They switched to a different formula that helps with gas but it took several tries before they found one that seemed to help. He gets gas drops added directly to the bottle every time. They tried several brands of bottles before settling on dr.browns bottles. The most noticeable help though has been feeding him smaller amounts more frequently instead of larger amounts further apart. Currently I feed him 4 oz every 2 hrs. And I stop to burp him after every 1.5 oz and then burp again at the end. Then about 10-20 min after the bottle I lay him down and do bicycle legs on him for several minutes. If he is extra gassy I hold him so that he’s lying across me on his side and that helps.

Another baby I watch used to have gas so bad he would scream. Turned out to be a dairy and soy allergy. Switched to a special formula that has to be ordered through a doctor. That helped but not as much as I would’ve hoped. The doctor put him on a probiotic and within a couple days the gas was gone. Haven’t had a single issue in the months since. I have no idea how the probiotic works to help with gas but it definitely worked for this baby. Or maybe that was a coincidence but it may be worth looking into.

mamamanda 01-26-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
My nephew who I watch is super gassy. They switched to a different formula that helps with gas but it took several tries before they found one that seemed to help. He gets gas drops added directly to the bottle every time. They tried several brands of bottles before settling on dr.browns bottles. The most noticeable help though has been feeding him smaller amounts more frequently instead of larger amounts further apart. Currently I feed him 4 oz every 2 hrs. And I stop to burp him after every 1.5 oz and then burp again at the end. Then about 10-20 min after the bottle I lay him down and do bicycle legs on him for several minutes. If he is extra gassy I hold him so that he’s lying across me on his side and that helps.

Another baby I watch used to have gas so bad he would scream. Turned out to be a dairy and soy allergy. Switched to a special formula that has to be ordered through a doctor. That helped but not as much as I would’ve hoped. The doctor put him on a probiotic and within a couple days the gas was gone. Haven’t had a single issue in the months since. I have no idea how the probiotic works to help with gas but it definitely worked for this baby. Or maybe that was a coincidence but it may be worth looking into.

Her mom has been looking into the probiotics, but she read that if you supplement them long term the baby's body would have trouble producing their own later on. Do you know if there's any truth to that? She did get a prescription for a stronger gas medicine today, but we'd really like to find the cause of it rather than just treating symptoms. Also seriously wondering if this baby has acid reflux.

HappyEverAfter 01-27-2018 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Her mom has been looking into the probiotics, but she read that if you supplement them long term the baby's body would have trouble producing their own later on. Do you know if there's any truth to that? She did get a prescription for a stronger gas medicine today, but we'd really like to find the cause of it rather than just treating symptoms. Also seriously wondering if this baby has acid reflux.

I don’t know if there is any truth to the probiotics causing problems later on. I suppose it’s possible.