Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Charging on Holidays (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3)

MommyMuffin 10-12-2010 11:14 AM

I agree with Jewels, I have paid holidays, 10 per year. It is nice to have time with family. I know not everyone gets that time off. If there was a situation where a parent felt they could not pay for a holiday then I would talk with them about it and arrange something. I think it helps providers to de-stress and prevent burnout. Some providers cannot go without pay for 1 day and budget with that in mind. For example, thanksgiving is coming up and it is during the week. Some families have the day before off as well. If I did not have paid holiday my income for the month of november would be 200 less. Which to me is my car payment for the month.

Todd McCullough 10-12-2010 01:48 PM

Hi Jewels.
Its nice to see that there are providers out there, who understand that at the end of the day, they are still running a business. Who can value their customers.

A little bit more of what I was thinking earlier...

It irks me that there is an attitude prevalent among many providers, that they are doing a FAVOUR (Canadian spelling eh!) for me and the other parents.

However, it's a service and unfortunately you are going to get a lot of BAD customers that feel that they never get enough for what they pay for. Thems the breaks.

All I ask is that you don't take for granted those of us who appreciate what you're doing. (nights and weekends are plenty enough, though I would happily take more ;) I never complain about my service, although it would be nice to get a weekly status report of what's happening in my little mans daily life.

Hell, I think its sad the girl who works for the day care and looks after my son, has to leave her 1 yr old to go and work looking after other peoples kids! You guys deserve compensation too.

So I get it. You deserve your cake and you should eat it too. Not everyone has cake though! :) My family's finances have been a roller coaster for the last year and half for example.

Anyways. The costs just add up when you're in a corner.

DBug 10-12-2010 02:53 PM

Todd, it's so nice to see a fellow Canadian on these boards! There are a few of us, but it's always nice to meet another :). I'm in Ontario too, near Barrie. I'm a home daycare provider, and I'm not licensed. You mentioned government help with daycare -- have you looked into subsidization? Licensed providers can accept subsidized clients, and from the rates I've seen for my county, they make more doing it than I do accepting un-subsidized clients. I'm pretty sure you do pay for stats with licensed providers, but a percentage of that would, of course, be covered.

On a personal note, I have 3 kids, and there's no way it makes financial sense for me to go to work AND pay for daycare (read: I wouldn't be able to pay the rates I charge). That's why I chose this line of work, and believe me, there's a huge demand for it around here. The bottom line may be something you and your wife may want to seriously consider in figuring out the whole daycare situation. If there's any way to split shifts or job share, it may be worth the consideration. Just my two cents, for what it's worth :rolleyes:.

Todd McCullough 10-14-2010 09:11 AM

Hi DBug and thanks.

I'll look into the subsidizing. Based on our current income we could use all the help we can get. Hopefully soon though, things turn around for me again.

My wife is studying to be a nurse right now. But had to put it off for now because we're expecting a second stork bundle. We're not the greatest at family planning! ;)

We're against the ropes right now, but I think we're going to win by TKO soon enough. :)

Cheers!

cherryhill 10-15-2010 12:46 PM

I don't understand why parents are complaining about paying holidays if it is in the contract. This should be questioned before care starts. If they have a problem they can go else where and find care that does not charge for Holidays. It is that simple.

beach_grl 10-21-2010 02:10 PM

I charge for the major holidays (I don't take federal holidays) I do NOT charge if I go on vacation. I DO charge if you go on vacation, or if your child is ill and not in my care.

Here is how I see it: If I am here, and open for business, I expect to be paid. What if you went to work one day, and your boss says " Hey, we don't need you today. Oh, and we are not paying you, either." It would be a little irritating, wouldn't it?

It is in my contract that if the full weekly rate is not paid, I reserve the right to fill your child's spot and terminate services. I am only allowed a certain # of children, and I need to know how much I am making per week to budget my bills.

Unregistered 11-02-2010 02:35 PM

I agree that childcare providers should get paid for holidays, they take fare of our most precious possessions, but their is a better way to answer this question... you sound so angry I would be afraid of leaving my children with you. Beside you have to think that not everyone gets paid salary or holiday/vacation time, some people are just making minimum wage in which case it may be a financial stress to have to pay holiday time when they are not making extra money. Remember this forum is here to help and answer everyones questions... be nice and polite. :)

Unregistered 11-24-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 700)
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Exactly my thoughts *Interested*
"Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7. "

My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.

I have to agree with the second one I am independent contractor / owner. I get paid when I work and not on my time off, My friend called me all pi$$ed off that she have to work and her daycare is taking the day off on black Friday to go shopping, now you tell me HOW IS THAT COOL?? No you don't have to I will IT's NOT and she is not paying.

Unregistered 11-24-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60004)
I have to agree with the second one I am independent contractor / owner. I get paid when I work and not on my time off, My friend called me all pi$$ed off that she have to work and her daycare is taking the day off on black Friday to go shopping, now you tell me HOW IS THAT COOL?? No you don't have to I will IT's NOT and she is not paying.

Seriously, I have to ask...

How is it cool that parents sign a contract and then continue to complain when the contents of said contract are enforced. Let me tell you....IT'S NOT.

Parents are free to choose daycare that meets their needs. If it is your friends need is to have a daycare that is open on Black Friday, then she should have found one of those!!!

Good grief.

Unregistered 12-02-2010 06:40 PM

Paid Holidays
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 1367)
Do you get paid for your holidays? .

I don't get paid for holidays, so I now have to have a day off and not get paid and on top of that I have to pay someone else to have a paid day off, I do value what they provide but it seems a little much.

Unregistered 12-08-2010 02:15 PM

whatever
 
I see both sides of this issue but one thing that gets me is like everyone said, the days around a holiday. This year xmas is on a sat. as well as new years, but my daycare is taking that Friday ( xmas eve and new years eve) and that Monday ( dec 27 and Jan 3rd) which most of us are working, especially those Mondays. SO why is this ok? Yes we all need vacations but at most jobs they don't close down so everyone can go on vacation. Why not split it up? ( some personel take off) And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare. Been to daycare lately? Not overbooked like they used to in todays economy. You are paying for a service. Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it. But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

marniewon 12-08-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62698)
I see both sides of this issue but one thing that gets me is like everyone said, the days around a holiday. This year xmas is on a sat. as well as new years, but my daycare is taking that Friday ( xmas eve and new years eve) and that Monday ( dec 27 and Jan 3rd) which most of us are working, especially those Mondays. SO why is this ok? Yes we all need vacations but at most jobs they don't close down so everyone can go on vacation. Why not split it up? ( some personel take off) And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare. Been to daycare lately? Not overbooked like they used to in todays economy. You are paying for a service. Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it. But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

Most professional jobs (and many non-professional jobs) offer their employees a weekday holiday if the actual holiday falls on a weekend. You ask why the provider can't split them up - it's not her fault that there are 2 holidays exactly a week apart! Personally, I don't take Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve off, so I'm only taking those days this year (because the actual holiday is on a Saturday).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62698)
But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

Are you telling me that you have to work EVERY holiday and you don't get compensated for that? I don't know of any place who insists on employees working and doesn't pay AT LEAST time and a half. Seems to me that would be plenty to pay your dc provider for a much needed day off AND a neighbor kid to babysit your kids for the day (or how about family, for free??).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62698)
And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare.

Nope - you are STILL paying to hold a spot - waiting list or not! Holidays are a big time for drop-in care, and if you don't want to pay for your spot, there are probably other families who could use that day or week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62698)
Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it.

Bingo! u like the place and they take good care of your child That's it right there! You like the place and they take good care of your child....but you don't feel they are worth compensating them for a holiday? How many hours a day do you work? Because your dcp probably works anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. How many breaks do you get? Because your dcp might be lucky to grab a few minutes at naptime, IF all the children go down at the same time and actually sleep. Do you make minimum wage? Because there's a good chance that even with all the kids in her care, your dcp might not even make that much (I don't).

Your dcp opens her home to the children she cares for, getting wear and tear on her furniture, toys, etc, has to put up with a lot of BS with parents who won't pay, or pay late, or bring sick kids, or complain about any holiday that she takes with little pay and few breaks, and long hours. Obviously she loves children to do this, and you should be thrilled that you got such a great and caring dcp and be happy to give her a much needed vacation/holiday once in a while!

AfterSchoolMom 12-09-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62698)
I see both sides of this issue but one thing that gets me is like everyone said, the days around a holiday. This year xmas is on a sat. as well as new years, but my daycare is taking that Friday ( xmas eve and new years eve) and that Monday ( dec 27 and Jan 3rd) which most of us are working, especially those Mondays. SO why is this ok? Yes we all need vacations but at most jobs they don't close down so everyone can go on vacation. Why not split it up? ( some personel take off) And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare. Been to daycare lately? Not overbooked like they used to in todays economy. You are paying for a service. Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it. But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.

jen 12-09-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom (Post 62847)
Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.


Love this!

momofboys 12-09-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marniewon (Post 62803)
Most professional jobs (and many non-professional jobs) offer their employees a weekday holiday if the actual holiday falls on a weekend. You ask why the provider can't split them up - it's not her fault that there are 2 holidays exactly a week apart! Personally, I don't take Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve off, so I'm only taking those days this year (because the actual holiday is on a Saturday).



Are you telling me that you have to work EVERY holiday and you don't get compensated for that? I don't know of any place who insists on employees working and doesn't pay AT LEAST time and a half. Seems to me that would be plenty to pay your dc provider for a much needed day off AND a neighbor kid to babysit your kids for the day (or how about family, for free??)


Nope - you are STILL paying to hold a spot - waiting list or not! Holidays are a big time for drop-in care, and if you don't want to pay for your spot, there are probably other families who could use that day or week.



Bingo! u like the place and they take good care of your child That's it right there! You like the place and they take good care of your child....but you don't feel they are worth compensating them for a holiday? How many hours a day do you work? Because your dcp probably works anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. How many breaks do you get? Because your dcp might be lucky to grab a few minutes at naptime, IF all the children go down at the same time and actually sleep. Do you make minimum wage? Because there's a good chance that even with all the kids in her care, your dcp might not even make that much (I don't).

Your dcp opens her home to the children she cares for, getting wear and tear on her furniture, toys, etc, has to put up with a lot of BS with parents who won't pay, or pay late, or bring sick kids, or complain about any holiday that she takes with little pay and few breaks, and long hours. Obviously she loves children to do this, and you should be thrilled that you got such a great and caring dcp and be happy to give her a much needed vacation/holiday once in a while!

Very well put!~

My Daycare 12-09-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom (Post 62847)
Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.

Perfect, but don't forget to clean and disinfect all day.

nikia 12-09-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Daycare (Post 62869)
Perfect, but don't forget to clean and disinfect all day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom (Post 62847)
Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.

And the changing poopy diapers, wiping snotty noses, and cleaning up vomit when parents choose to leave out the part of their child being sick the night before. :D

Unregistered 12-09-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom (Post 62847)
Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.

I would do that but I did not CHOOSE to do that line of work. I see all your points, I really do. But get mad at your boss, or your career choice, not me, who by the way is the customer and person who you depend on to pay daycare everyweek so you can get paid. And if you work 4 hours longer, and no lunches, and you don't get paid for it, then once again that is on you. No one is arguing take the holidays off, but taking advantage on OUR dime is the issue.

Unregistered 12-09-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marniewon (Post 62803)
Most professional jobs (and many non-professional jobs) offer their employees a weekday holiday if the actual holiday falls on a weekend. You ask why the provider can't split them up - it's not her fault that there are 2 holidays exactly a week apart! Personally, I don't take Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve off, so I'm only taking those days this year (because the actual holiday is on a Saturday).



Are you telling me that you have to work EVERY holiday and you don't get compensated for that? I don't know of any place who insists on employees working and doesn't pay AT LEAST time and a half. Seems to me that would be plenty to pay your dc provider for a much needed day off AND a neighbor kid to babysit your kids for the day (or how about family, for free??).



Nope - you are STILL paying to hold a spot - waiting list or not! Holidays are a big time for drop-in care, and if you don't want to pay for your spot, there are probably other families who could use that day or week.



Bingo! u like the place and they take good care of your child That's it right there! You like the place and they take good care of your child....but you don't feel they are worth compensating them for a holiday? How many hours a day do you work? Because your dcp probably works anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. How many breaks do you get? Because your dcp might be lucky to grab a few minutes at naptime, IF all the children go down at the same time and actually sleep. Do you make minimum wage? Because there's a good chance that even with all the kids in her care, your dcp might not even make that much (I don't).

Your dcp opens her home to the children she cares for, getting wear and tear on her furniture, toys, etc, has to put up with a lot of BS with parents who won't pay, or pay late, or bring sick kids, or complain about any holiday that she takes with little pay and few breaks, and long hours. Obviously she loves children to do this, and you should be thrilled that you got such a great and caring dcp and be happy to give her a much needed vacation/holiday once in a while!

Wow, I really did not mean to open a can of worms. And what you all do is a thankless job and I am VERY blessed to have my child in a great daycare. Hopefull you can see my side too. No one is asking for you to take unpaid holidays. And technically the parents are paying for your paid holiday by paying for a full week. But can't it be both? Can't the parents pay a prorated fee if it is a partial week and you still get paid?
It is more the days off when no one else is off that is the issue.Like I have said I do get it and once again I thank all of those who are really doing good work, just those days that they are closed (monday after xmas) but everyone else has to work still kills me. Think about the parents who do not have paid days off and they now have to stay home, lose a days pay and then on tuesday pay for the whole week. Just reverse the roles. And if not, we can agree to disagree

AfterSchoolMom 12-09-2010 02:35 PM

I totally understand where you're coming from there, and can see it from a parent perspective. I personally don't charge for my days off. However, that wasn't what you (or another unregistered poster who I assumed was you) said:

Quote:

But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

jen 12-09-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63068)
Wow, I really did not mean to open a can of worms. And what you all do is a thankless job and I am VERY blessed to have my child in a great daycare. Hopefull you can see my side too. No one is asking for you to take unpaid holidays. And technically the parents are paying for your paid holiday by paying for a full week. But can't it be both? Can't the parents pay a prorated fee if it is a partial week and you still get paid?
It is more the days off when no one else is off that is the issue.Like I have said I do get it and once again I thank all of those who are really doing good work, just those days that they are closed (monday after xmas) but everyone else has to work still kills me. Think about the parents who do not have paid days off and they now have to stay home, lose a days pay and then on tuesday pay for the whole week. Just reverse the roles. And if not, we can agree to disagree

Personally, I charge for Holidays, but do not charge for any other day that I might be closed. HOWEVER, and this is BIG, did you sign a contract that states what you were going to have to pay for?

It makes me loopy when I take the time and effort to create a contract that people are supposed to have read, they definitely signed, and THEN they complain later. If you didn't want to have to pay for those days, why did you agree to do so?

marniewon 12-10-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen (Post 63124)
Personally, I charge for Holidays, but do not charge for any other day that I might be closed. HOWEVER, and this is BIG, did you sign a contract that states what you were going to have to pay for?

It makes me loopy when I take the time and effort to create a contract that people are supposed to have read, they definitely signed, and THEN they complain later. If you didn't want to have to pay for those days, why did you agree to do so?

Exactly! There are so many providers out there, and they all don't have the same policies - I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find one that doesn't charge for holidays or their vacations or whatever. If you (general "you") signed the contract, then that's on you. Should have read it and known the policies of that daycare before you signed it.

MissAnn 01-11-2011 11:02 AM

Licensed provider?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A mom (Post 2558)
Our daycare provider charges only for the days my daughter is physically there so long as we tell them by the Sunday evening of that particular week. So we do not pay for holidays, we do not pay for our vacations, and we don't pay for any days I know in advance that she won't be there. They use this open communication system of scheduling to give their caretakers more flexibility in their own schedules. So no, not all providers charge for the "slot." Some actually charge for the care that is provided.

I would be curious to know if this is a licensed provider? Does she carry insurance on her program? I for one could not afford to charge only for days each child attends. This is income we rely on, just as you do. If I want to stay in business and more importantly if I want to provide excellent quality, that takes money. Before I was licensed, I charged only for days the child attended. As soon as I earned my license, that quickly came to an end. I do not sell myself short. I also do not make much over minimum wage. I love owning my own program, but honestly.......the hardest part is having parents who do not understand why we have paid time off in our contracts.

Unregistered 01-19-2011 08:11 AM

paying day care
 
I can understand paid holidays for the day care providers (and I hope that they use this money to give their staff paid holidays!)...however, when I get a phone call while in route to the daycare saying that they are closing due to not having enough staff to watch the children (due to wether) then I am not a happy camper. Now I either have to find somebody very quickly and pay them to watch my children for the day OR lose a day's pay myself and still have to pay the daycare...so, now let's look at this situation from the daycare's point of view. She does not have to pay her staff since they called in, she does not have to pay for utilities for that day, there will be no arts and crafts supplies used that day, no toilet paper, no paper towles...you get me point...it doesn't seem right to charge for a day that you close that is NOT a holiday...oh, and by the way, teachers DO NOT get paid holidays. They get paid for 180 school days plus however many professional development days they have to do...if schools are closed for a snow day the teachers do not get paid for that day, they have to make it up in June and that's another day taken away from them that they could be working a summer job and making money...

mac60 01-20-2011 09:31 AM

the state I live in, teachers get paid a salary, average here $47,000 per year....break that down and that is a pretty damn good wage for the days and amount of hours actually worked for the school year..... plus all the benefits and PTO.

dEHmom 01-20-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd McCullough (Post 50117)
I also think that the government needs to kick in financing to offset the costs to parents.

I am in Canada as well.

But I have to disagree with this.This is what the Universal Child Care Benefit is.
Unfortunately, too many parents just think of this as money for themselves. 100/mth/child under 6 yo. This is financing to offset the cost to parents.

momofboys 01-20-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73535)
I can understand paid holidays for the day care providers (and I hope that they use this money to give their staff paid holidays!)...however, when I get a phone call while in route to the daycare saying that they are closing due to not having enough staff to watch the children (due to wether) then I am not a happy camper. Now I either have to find somebody very quickly and pay them to watch my children for the day OR lose a day's pay myself and still have to pay the daycare...so, now let's look at this situation from the daycare's point of view. She does not have to pay her staff since they called in, she does not have to pay for utilities for that day, there will be no arts and crafts supplies used that day, no toilet paper, no paper towles...you get me point...it doesn't seem right to charge for a day that you close that is NOT a holiday...oh, and by the way, teachers DO NOT get paid holidays. They get paid for 180 school days plus however many professional development days they have to do...if schools are closed for a snow day the teachers do not get paid for that day, they have to make it up in June and that's another day taken away from them that they could be working a summer job and making money...

Most teachers get a paid salary. So when they are sick they still get paid, if they have a snow day they do have to make the day up in some instances but they still get paid the same amount regardless of how much or how little they work that week. Usually their payment is spread out over the whole year. No disrespect to teachers, there are 2 in my family & I know when school is in session it's a lot of work but considering they have 7-8 weeks off in the summer (usually longer than this but I know they also have prep work to do before school starts) & usually 2 weeks at Christmas that is pretty good pay for not working.
So indirectly they are still paid. When there is a snow day they don't deduct a day of pay. I'm pretty sure teachers' unions would not permit that!

cillybean83 01-20-2011 01:07 PM

the only time I don't charge is if I'm taking the day off. I had surgery and took a week off to heal, I didn't charge for that week, if I take a vacation, I don't charge...but if a parent takes their kid home early, decides to have a mommy/baby day, and for days like Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, then I charge unless the day falls on a weekend, like Christmas was on Saturday last year, I didn't charge because I wouldn't have been watching the kids anyway.

everyone is different, and no way is right or wrong, what counts is whether or not you agree with the providers rules, no one forced you to sign on the dotted line

Unregistered 01-26-2011 08:51 PM

Health care professional
 
My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.[/quote]

It sounded more like she was frustrated by parents that are unappreciative of a good provider. Listen, there are all sorts of providers out there both good and bad, effective and ineffective. The bottom line is that when you sign up it's important to ask the questions that would be most important to you and the fact that days off didn't come up is an indication that you were more concerned with other things. Maybe now it's become an issue and that happens. There are a varied amount of providers (as you'll read) with varied policies. In the end, it's up to the provider to decide and we do that based on what our expenses are..and some of us have more expenses than others. We have staff, food, utilities, insurance costs, curriculum costs, staff and personal training costs (in NY we are mandated to continue trainings even with a MA!!) cleaning services etc... Many work 11 and 12 hour days (think about your center hours) doing a really tough job. It's not easy to care for a bunch of little children each day trying to ensure their safety and well being, their health and their development. The frustration comes because when parents penny pinch, it comes across as inconsiderate, selfish and ungrateful. By the way, I do have a degree and am a certified teacher. I opted for this because I believe education starts here. Additionally, when your child goes to school, the same will be required. You will either pay for private school, even during school closings, and there are many!! OR you will pay for care during those times and many of us see ourselves as more than "babysitters" but preschools. "By the way, if this woman wants to be paid for so many holidays she should go back to school and get a teaching degree" .... I don't have to get a job in a school to get days off!! I can do whatever I want - as did your old childcare provider. And while I only close one week a year, don't take many days off and I do have subs if I get sick (although I never have!) the bottom line is it's really not your place to make those sorts of comments or judgments. We do teach. We are teachers at our OWN schools and you not knowing what the policies are about days off - well that's your problem ..and I guess your child's. ..I mean now that they're probably getting substandard care..DAILY because they're open all the time.

Cat Herder 01-27-2011 04:47 AM

Healthcare "Professional",

Wanted to let you know that MANY of the providers here were also Healthcare Providers BEFORE we went into daycare. As a matter of fact there are many here with Master's and, I suspect, one or two with Doctorates. ;)

Most, that I know, opened home daycares/centers because the hours/dedication required were not conducive to raising a family and we made the CHOICE to create our own jobs to solve that issue. I, myself, plan to be back in the field in 5 more years as my kids are teens, now. :Sunny:

Just like the patients choice of going to a level one ER or a Doc-in-the-box at the local strip mall, daycare has it's professional levels of service. And in the exact same way, you get what you pay for and are treated as you treat the staff. I am sorry you feel it is unfair, but do you really feel it is fair to charge $22 for two Tylenol in the hospital? Some things just ARE.....and usually for the same reasons. :rolleyes:

My personal policy is that if I am open: they pay, if I am closed: they don't. I do that because I have three kids and know it gets expensive. It is a courtesy, since NONE of the centers near me do that. Believe it or not, I had parents complaining that I was OPEN during the snowstorm. They don't feel they should have to pay me since they "could not get here". We had barely 6 inches of snow and the roads were clear by 10 am each morning. :lol: I had breakfast/art projects ready and waiting and they all did the "no call-no show" thing....WHY should I give them a discount??? It really is IMPOSSIBLE to please everybody. :lol:

Unregistered 02-15-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md12 (Post 10964)
I'm a parent and at work I'm not paid for holidays... I don't have a problem paying holidays at daycare... Most companies pay holidays , I'm just not lucky to work for one of those.
My problem is... why pay full tuition when daycare is closed due to wheatear condition?
.

I am not sure about "most companies".
In the economy, there is clearly a trend to hire hourly employees who only get paid for the hours they work with few or no benefis. This means everyone who works in 7-11s all the way to high end Information Technology contract positions. FTE is shrinking, hourly "temp" positions are growing.

Legally, day care providers are independent contractors. What they get paid is stated in each individual contract. If there is enough leverage and you are in the right area, you can negotiate a good contract. Otherwise, not.

OTOH, I do perfectly understand business needs of the daycare.
It costs whatever it costs. So no matter how you slice it, you have to pay that cost. Either annually, monthly, weekly, daily or hourly. If hourly, then the rate has to reflect the costs. Paying weekly is just a little easier to deal with than writing a 4-digit montly check, maybe. Or maybe not.

Whether one gets say 7 days of sick time or holidays or bad weather, it will have to be made up via higher hourly or daily/weekly rates. It just really depends on your local economy, if it allows the leverage to do that. Usually it's a buyer's market but not everywhere it seems.

Angelwings36 02-16-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested (Post 6)
Is it legal to charge for day care for days the children are not at day care or days the day care close because of weather or holidays.:(

Absoulotely it is legal! As providers we are only allowed to take in so many children as per law. What you are paying for is a slot not just the service. Most parents get both paid sick days and paid holidays...why should a provider not recieve the same? Also please keep in mind that most providers can not afford to take holidays if they are unpaid. Which means these providers would not be taking holidays and working straight through every year. Do you really want a worn out provider taking care of your child?

If you do not want to pay for days that your child is not attending or holidays it would probably be in your best interest to look for a daycare that offers such.

Angelwings36 02-16-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 700)
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Exactly my thoughts *Interested*
"Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7. "

My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.

I do not feel that she sounds like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children or that she needs to find a new profession. To be honest I think it is just rude of you to state that! I take paid stat holidays and 1 week of paid holidays in the summer and 2 weeks of paid holidays at christmas. I work VERY hard and I am VERY good at my job and I absoulotely deserve these holidays. If any parent disagreed with this I would simply ask them to find childcare else wheres. All of my clients at the moment are just fine paying over my holidays and some of them even give me credit for doing so.

If you don't want to pay for holidays though there are providers out there that do not charge...however it is not fair to knock us professionals that do!

Unregistered 06-23-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 184)
Exactly my thoughts *Interested*
Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7.


Wow can you sound anymore bitchy!? It was a simple question. That is what's wrong with the Daycare system these days is the owners are all money hungry that watch our "precious" for a ton of money!

Former Teacher 06-23-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122238)
Wow can you sound anymore bitchy!? It was a simple question. That is what's wrong with the Daycare system these days is the owners are all money hungry that watch our "precious" for a ton of money!

Why are these types of posts approved? This thread last finished in Feb and then someone who is unregistered bumps it back up only to have a potty mouth.

Cat Herder 06-23-2011 06:14 PM

I hear you, Former Teacher. :ouch:

I want to know where I can find a precious to keep for a ton of money :D:D:D

Throw me in that briar bush....:Sunny:

cheerfuldom 06-23-2011 07:30 PM

yeah this whole argument needs to just die....forever. If you don't like your daycare situation, FIND SOMETHING ELSE! no one is holding you hostage to keep your kid there. If this is the best situation you can find then stop complaining and just accept it as it is. There is NO way that a provider could keep every family happy on each thing.

Totally different topic but why should I reduce my rates just because the economy is bad? Would someone else turn down a promotion just because every one else didn't get one? I understand everyone has hard times during life but does Walmart reduce prices just for you because your hours got cut back? I absolutely hate the arguments about daycare costing so much. Kids ARE expensive, deal with it.

dEHmom 06-24-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122238)
Wow can you sound anymore bitchy!? It was a simple question. That is what's wrong with the Daycare system these days is the owners are all money hungry that watch our "precious" for a ton of money!

Ok I realize this is old, but seriously!!!!!!?????????

I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement about being money hungry.

In comparison, lets just look at the numbers....

Daycare provider charges $25/child/day....this includes their food, snacks, milk, juice, toilet flushes, toilet paper, soap to wash dishes, soap to wash their hands, cleaning products to keep everything clean so dear dcc doesn't get sick, energy costs associated with equipment, cooking etc, personal chef, personal caterer, butt wiper, friend, and i can go on and on and on. We also make sure we feed dck's healthy, well balanced meals, not kraft dinner or hot dogs everyday. And lets also consider that the approximate amount of food each child will eat per day is $4.27 off of the $25/day.

Right now I have 2 dck's who I charge 25/day for 1 and 22/day for the other.... that's less than $50/ day I make for my 11 hour day (because they are staggered arrival/departure times..... After factoring the food costs associated with your child, plus all the overhead, how much are us daycare providers truly making???? $5/day? $10/day? For more than a 12 hour day once you factor in all the clean up and prep work before and after daycare hours.

Alot of parents make different money at work, but lets go on a wage a lot of people I know make (and yes i do realize that many work for less than this) @ $25/hr for an 8 hour work day, that's $200/day! Is it REALLLLLLY worth all these negative comments about daycare providers who charge and having to find backups, and blah blah blah.

We are not money hungry, if we were, we would charge ALOT MORE!

It really bothers me when posters on here state how we make so much money, and this and that. We do this job because we love it, and we want to offer our home out to your child. Not because we are money hungry.

jen 06-24-2011 07:10 AM

LOL! It's just a troll looking for a reaction! Hit your internal ignore button! :lol:

Blackcat31 06-24-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dEHmom (Post 122459)
We are not money hungry, if we were, we would charge ALOT MORE!

It really bothers me when posters on here state how we make so much money, and this and that. We do this job because we love it, and we want to offer our home out to your child. Not because we are money hungry.

I am not money hungry but I did just watch a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode and they showcased a place that made wild rice french toast with blackberry sauce and now I am starving!!!! :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:21 AM.