Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Safe Sleep FAIL (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91863)

Blackcat31 05-20-2019 03:09 PM

Safe Sleep FAIL

I am NOT a fan but considering how "influential" stars can be to regular folks one would think they would practice a bit of safety KNOWING they influence others.

I don't even need to point out all the fails in this photo

Shame on Kim and Kanye!!

https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_...put-quality=90

Josiegirl 05-20-2019 03:13 PM

Oh my. Now there's a photo worthy of teaching everything that's wrong about sleeping newborns.:mad::confused:

Pestle 05-20-2019 03:22 PM

Didn't you know rich babies can't die?

springv 05-20-2019 04:41 PM

People don't use their heads anymore 😡😡😡😡😡😡

storybookending 05-20-2019 05:58 PM

So many B list celebrities are using those taco things the baby is in and promoting them on Instagram lately

Valerie928 05-20-2019 07:09 PM

Wow, I am scared for this baby.

Pestle 05-20-2019 07:26 PM

Pinterest finally recognized its role in the spread of anti-vax misinformation. Wouldn't it be nice if the social media platforms that are the Wests' bread and butter opted out of hosting promotions for lethal baby gear?

Baby Beluga 05-20-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by storybookending:
So many B list celebrities are using those taco things the baby is in and promoting them on Instagram lately

Dock a tot. Such an odd name...

They are marketed a lot to families with reflux babies. I hate it and cringe every time I see a baby in one :(

storybookending 05-20-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Dock a tot. Such an odd name...

They are marketed a lot to families with reflux babies. I hate it and cringe every time I see a baby in one :(

Yes that’s it! I watch a lot of reality TV and a lot of like Big Brother/Amazing Race/Survivor contestants promote them like crazy. Always with the #ad so they’re getting paid to promote it. This “influencers” generation is out of hand.

Josiegirl 05-21-2019 02:07 AM

Do doctors preach safe sleep? Do state resources preach safe sleep(other than to dcproviders)? Do maternity units preach safe sleep? If so, why are stupid things still being done? We know so much more than we did even 10 years ago. Yet what have we learned. :(
Some of those things(maybe all) in the pictures should be made banned. Bumper pads. Baby blankets. That taco thingie. Just wondering if that was all used on their first babies and for how long. And to promote it as a beautiful wonderful idea; it's just reversing all the safe sleep teaching that's been trying so hard to make an impression. :(
Wonder if they've received backlash about their picture.
*sigh*

nannyde 05-21-2019 03:33 AM

I'm trying to figure out what else they could have done wrong in that picture.

Cat Herder 05-21-2019 04:21 AM

I stopped reading at Kim and Kanye :rolleyes:

Pestle 05-21-2019 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm trying to figure out what else they could have done wrong in that picture.

Well, the child is loosely swaddled, with a hat on and another loose object in the crib, lying in a positioning form, surrounded by bumpers, but at least they didn't put the child in face down.
:rolleyes:

Blackcat31 05-21-2019 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I stopped reading at Kim and Kanye :rolleyes:

:lol::lol:
I would have too as I avoid anything to do with them (bleh) but it was front and center on my homepage and when I involuntarily gasped in regards to all the licensing violations I just had to share. :ouch:

Yes, I do wish more influencers and Hollywood people would promote more safety overall.

Take Bode Miller for example....his 18 month old daughter drown in the family swimming pool and during one of the interviews he and his wife did shortly afterwards he actually said "Why didn't anyone tell us about the dangers of swimming pools?" :eek: :rolleyes:

However now him and his wife are speaking up about drowning awareness and water safety on media outlets. I am glad they turned their tragedy into something positive and are learning from it. It's just sad that it took the death of their daughter for them to learn. :(

Baby Beluga 05-21-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Do doctors preach safe sleep? Do state resources preach safe sleep(other than to dcproviders)? Do maternity units preach safe sleep? If so, why are stupid things still being done? We know so much more than we did even 10 years ago. Yet what have we learned. :(
Some of those things(maybe all) in the pictures should be made banned. Bumper pads. Baby blankets. That taco thingie. Just wondering if that was all used on their first babies and for how long. And to promote it as a beautiful wonderful idea; it's just reversing all the safe sleep teaching that's been trying so hard to make an impression. :(
Wonder if they've received backlash about their picture.
*sigh*

I have an interesting story/comparison about this:

Our local county hospital offers something called a "pregnancy package" where your entire prenatal and post natal care, as well as one dental visit and prenatal vitamins , labs, ultrasounds, etc are covered under one price. It serves those who are uninsured or under insured as we have a large population who can't afford health private insurance but make too much for state insurance. It's actually I pretty good program, TBH.

One catch of this program is you have to attend a class before leaving the hospital with your baby. It goes over car seat safety, safe sleep, not shaking your baby and the importance of putting baby in a safe place and walking away for a minute if needed. You even have to sign an acknowledgment form that you took the class.

If you go to a non-county hospital and pay the traditional insurance and co-pay route none of this is taught to parents.

I think there is a notion that poor/low income families are unintelligent and therefore classes are mandatory for them. However those who are seen as middle to upper income are thought of as being more intelligent and therefore the classes are not even offered unless the parent seeks them out themselves. IMO, it's ridiculous. I am not one for infringement on parental rights, but everyone should be educated on safe sleep practices and basic infant care. I feel like as families get smaller and older generations (grandparents/great grandparents/great aunts/uncles/etc,) have less influence and smaller roles in their grandchildrens/nieces/nephews lives, we have ended up with a generation of parents who lack basic skills for safely raising a baby.

I would be very interested to learn the ratio of high to low incomes for infants who have passed from unsafe sleep.

Blackcat31 05-21-2019 09:00 AM

I think there is a notion that poor/low income families are unintelligent and therefore classes are mandatory for them. However those who are seen as middle to upper income are thought of as being more intelligent and therefore the classes are not even offered unless the parent seeks them out themselves. IMO, it's ridiculous.

Head Start is a perfect example of this concept.

When I was employed with Head Start, I was straight up told "Treat all families as if they have only an 8th grade education" :eek:

It was condescending and so unfair but it was the general attitude of all HS staff. :(

finsup 05-21-2019 09:12 AM

I have an interesting story/comparison about this:

Our local county hospital offers something called a "pregnancy package" where your entire prenatal and post natal care, as well as one dental visit and prenatal vitamins , labs, ultrasounds, etc are covered under one price. It serves those who are uninsured or under insured as we have a large population who can't afford health private insurance but make too much for state insurance. It's actually I pretty good program, TBH.

One catch of this program is you have to attend a class before leaving the hospital with your baby. It goes over car seat safety, safe sleep, not shaking your baby and the importance of putting baby in a safe place and walking away for a minute if needed. You even have to sign an acknowledgment form that you took the class.

If you go to a non-county hospital and pay the traditional insurance and co-pay route none of this is taught to parents.

I think there is a notion that poor/low income families are unintelligent and therefore classes are mandatory for them. However those who are seen as middle to upper income are thought of as being more intelligent and therefore the classes are not even offered unless the parent seeks them out themselves. IMO, it's ridiculous. I am not one for infringement on parental rights, but everyone should be educated on safe sleep practices and basic infant care. I feel like as families get smaller and older generations (grandparents/great grandparents/great aunts/uncles/etc,) have less influence and smaller roles in their grandchildrens/nieces/nephews lives, we have ended up with a generation of parents who lack basic skills for safely raising a baby.

I would be very interested to learn the ratio of high to low incomes for infants who have passed from unsafe sleep.

Our hospital REQUIRES everyone who gives birth there to watch a series of videos on safe sleep, not shaking babies, colic (video called the period of purple crying or something like that) and car seat safety. They won't discharge you until the videos have been watched (it records it on the TV if you have watched or not). It does not matter if it's your 1st or 4th,you will be watching the same ones, every single time lol. Before you leave, the nurses check you know how to put a baby in a car seat and will correct straps/position etc if it's not right. I thought this was "standard" practice?? I guess maybe it's not!

Baby Beluga 05-21-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by finsup:
Our hospital REQUIRES everyone who gives birth there to watch a series of videos on safe sleep, not shaking babies, colic (video called the period of purple crying or something like that) and car seat safety. They won't discharge you until the videos have been watched (it records it on the TV if you have watched or not). It does not matter if it's your 1st or 4th,you will be watching the same ones, every single time lol. Before you leave, the nurses check you know how to put a baby in a car seat and will correct straps/position etc if it's not right. I thought this was "standard" practice?? I guess maybe it's not!

Sadly, it's not. The hospital does offer a pregnancy and newborn guide handbook that can be downloaded from their website. It is 133 pages and 3 pages are dedicated to safe sleep.

My last little one was born March 2017. The only thing they asked me to do is write down when DS nursed or took a bottle (and how much) when he was changed and when he had skin to skin. However it was not required. Truth be told the nurse was more concerned with how cold I was keeping the room, saying it was too cold for baby. The room was at 74. She turned the heat on. In the end of March. In the desert. BTW - my AC at home is set to 72 at night, 74 during the day. I still chuckle at that nurse. She was nicknamed "nurse ratchet" by my family.

They also have new moms take a postpartum risk quiz (it's standard to do it in the hospital then at your first postpartum OB visit and compare the results). That's it. No classes, did not check his car seat fit in the room or in the car. Basically they have a nurse come into your room, you sign discharge paperwork, then a transport person is called (not a nurse) and they wheel you to the curb and you are on your way.

And this was at one of the "best" most widely known hospitals in my state.

Josiegirl 05-21-2019 10:15 AM

My last baby was born 26 GASP years ago so I don't remember seeing any videos. I only remember getting helped with my first one, with nursing him. And being shown how to bathe an infant.
But our knowledge of infant safety has expanded SO much since then. You'd think all these safety trainings would be mandatory for any new parent.
Intelligence knows no income bracket. Wouldn't even have to be intelligence but plain old common sense at times.:rolleyes:

Pestle 05-21-2019 10:25 AM

I gave birth in an excellent hospital in one of the most affluent regions of the United States. I had to sit through a class on sleep safety and feeding, and they checked the car seat.

Ariana 05-22-2019 02:51 PM

No video, pamphlet or carseat check for me after either birth. While I was pregnant I was warned out the wazoo about what was dangerous during the pregnancy. After birth you are on your own!

Josiegirl 05-23-2019 02:29 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...8?ocid=SK2ADHP

We weren't the only ones that saw danger.

Cat Herder 05-23-2019 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pestle:
I gave birth in an excellent hospital in one of the most affluent regions of the United States. I had to sit through a class on sleep safety and feeding, and they checked the car seat.

Me, too. Well, except the affluent part. :lol: They also taught diaper changing/skin care, breastfeeding, diet, Lamaze and touched on communication for couples during high-stress times (AKA: Don't shake the baby). We were also told about WIC and other community services should we ever need them. All of it was part of our birth plan, we were rewarded for completion with a private birthing room. This was from 1990 (1st child) to 1999 (3rd child).

I loved those classes. Meeting other couples in our town having babies at the same time gave me an instant community. I think that was their goal since it meets the "5 characteristics of resilience" program. There are federal grants for it.

Blackcat31 05-23-2019 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...8?ocid=SK2ADHP

We weren't the only ones that saw danger.

Thank goodness~ but it says:

"When Kim Kardashian West posted a picture of her fourth child, Psalm West, she probably didn’t realize she gave fans a glimpse of more than her new son: The now-deleted snapshot also shows that the newest addition to the Kardashian-West clan sleeps in a wildly unsafe crib."

'She probably didn't realize'..... :confused: seriously?! this is her 4th child....how did she not realize it was unsafe?? :rolleyes:

'The now-deleted snapshot'..... That part annoys me the most!! Why not use the situation to educate others. Even if she is just now realizing the danger herself now. You influence others so this is a wonderful opportunity to help educate hundreds, thousands of other new mothers that might not realize the unsafe practices that can cause accidental death.

As I said in my first post Shame on Kim and Kanye!!! :(

Josiegirl 05-23-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
'She probably didn't realize'..... :confused: seriously?! this is her 4th child....how did she not realize it was unsafe?? :rolleyes:

:(

I'm guessing she focuses more on her outside appearances of herself, her home, how cute her baby looks in the unsafe bed, and all the appearances of her life. Does she even change diapers or feed her own kids? :rolleyes:

storybookending 05-24-2019 11:12 AM

OKAY GUYS I AM RAGING

People magazine posted this article on their page about two hours ago. I do not follow this page but it was a sponsored ad on my page as I’m just casually scrolling here at nap time. The number of comments defending the photo and saying “she has three other kids that turned out just fine” have me so pissed off. People are calling on them to stop “mom shaming”. This isn’t mom shaming this is a safety issue! It’s no wonder infant mortality rates in this country are so high. The “but it won’t happen to me” mentality is strong.

Cat Herder 05-24-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by storybookending:
OKAY GUYS I AM RAGING

People magazine posted this article on their page about two hours ago. I do not follow this page but it was a sponsored ad on my page as I’m just casually scrolling here at nap time. The number of comments defending the photo and saying “she has three other kids that turned out just fine” have me so pissed off. People are calling on them to stop “mom shaming”. This isn’t mom shaming this is a safety issue! It’s no wonder infant mortality rates in this country are so high. The “but it won’t happen to me” mentality is strong.

In the daycare providers art page I follow they are arguing over kids being able to sleep in car seats since they can sleep in the car.

You can't fix purposely stupid.

They are not uneducated.

storybookending 05-24-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
In the daycare providers art page I follow they are arguing over kids being able to sleep in car seats since they can sleep in the car.

You can't fix purposely stupid.

They are not uneducated.

I have two infants starting in the Fall. I was typing up my preparing your baby for daycare letter (thanks for the guide in sharing your BC) *don’t worry I won’t sell it on etsy*.. anyways I was typing it up on a weekend while proctoring tests at the local university. Something I do on the side with a few friends since we attended college. Anyways my college best friend and the mother of my godmother and her husband also work the tests. The husband is the one who comes in and gives the proctors breaks during the test. He came in while I was working on this letter and when I came back asked if I meant to sound so harsh. I looked him square in the eye and said yes I will not kid around when it comes to safe sleep. “but *goddaughter* can’t sleep without a blanket” “but she doesn’t sleep well if she’s not in our bed (outgrew rock n play but had her in that FT). Funny because I have her as a drop in child and she has been here a lot recently due to her own providers mystery illness and she’s taken really great 2-3 hour naps for me in a pack in play with no blanket every single day we have had her.

hwichlaz 05-24-2019 02:42 PM

The nurses in the hospital my daughter was born at, 9 years ago, put adult bed pillows in the isolettes as matresses :P

tlemother 05-26-2019 04:35 AM

Kim has night nurses that sit with her two youngest at night. Kim was quoted as saying when her oldest was born that she needs 8 - 10 hours of sleep so the night nurse was the best thing.

Pestle 05-26-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by tlemother:
Kim has night nurses that sit with her two youngest at night. Kim was quoted as saying when her oldest was born that she needs 8 - 10 hours of sleep so the night nurse was the best thing.

Okay, sure, if we were all rich we might go for that. Amazingly, we ALL need that much sleep. :rolleyes:

Josiegirl 05-26-2019 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pestle:
Okay, sure, if we were all rich we might go for that. Amazingly, we ALL need that much sleep. :rolleyes:

Haha funny how that works.
Not to mention will any human being be able to keep their eyes on a baby every single minute? Still unsafe. But someone did say it was staged. I'm hoping that's the case.

flying_babyb 05-27-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Head Start is a perfect example of this concept.

When I was employed with Head Start, I was straight up told "Treat all families as if they have only an 8th grade education" :eek:

It was condescending and so unfair but it was the general attitude of all HS staff. :(

I work in early head start, with all black kids, WE were told to treat our parents like they had a 5th grade education... Im also the "token white girl" (as my coworkers call me). I am the diversity!
Oh and the new thing, our kids are not allowed to sleep on their stomachs, even if they can roll over. Wanna explain to me why the parent whos a NURSE lets her premie (born 12 weeks early) sleep on his stomach and tells me that him spitting up milk out his nose and mouth in his sleep is NORMAL! hes doing this 3-4 times a day

springv 05-27-2019 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
I work in early head start, with all black kids, WE were told to treat our parents like they had a 5th grade education... Im also the "token white girl" (as my coworkers call me). I am the diversity!
Oh and the new thing, our kids are not allowed to sleep on their stomachs, even if they can roll over. Wanna explain to me why the parent whos a NURSE lets her premie (born 12 weeks early) sleep on his stomach and tells me that him spitting up milk out his nose and mouth in his sleep is NORMAL! hes doing this 3-4 times a day

Sounds like he needs to see a gaastro doctor

Blackcat31 05-28-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by tlemother:

Doesn't matter who is watching the child.

Unsafe sleep is dangerous. period.

kidsncats 05-31-2019 03:21 PM

Before I was a provider my 12 week old preemie son was sleeping on his provider's water bed. On his stomach. He's in his thirties now. I guess my point is not all babies will suffer ill fates from bad sleep practices. Better to be safe than sorry which is the same reason I cut up grapes for toddlers.