Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wow These Inquiries! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63899)

spud912 07-23-2013 02:23 PM

Wow These Inquiries!

#1:
Soooo I get a text asking for child care and how much I charge for full time. When I tell her my rates (which are approximately $10 more than your average in-home daycare and substantially less than centers), she responds asking if I can charge her less and she will cut her hours some. I tell her that I only have a full time spot open and she is welcome to do drop-in care at a daily rate, but it's unreliable. My daily drop in rate is pretty steep! She responds with an "ohhhh, ok thanks."
A couple of minutes later, she responds with "I work for the government....can I get a discount?" Seriously?!

#2:
Then, I just got a phone call from the local media wanting to showcase my daycare for my city. Wow I was so excited, but apparently they were unaware that I run a super small in-home daycare so they removed me from their list :o. If only I could expand and open up a center........ah, that would be great :ouch:!

daycarediva 07-23-2013 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by spud912:
#1:
Soooo I get a text asking for child care and how much I charge for full time. When I tell her my rates (which are approximately $10 more than your average in-home daycare and substantially less than centers), she responds asking if I can charge her less and she will cut her hours some. I tell her that I only have a full time spot open and she is welcome to do drop-in care at a daily rate, but it's unreliable. My daily drop in rate is pretty steep! She responds with an "ohhhh, ok thanks."
A couple of minutes later, she responds with "I work for the government....can I get a discount?" Seriously?!

#2:
Then, I just got a phone call from the local media wanting to showcase my daycare for my city. Wow I was so excited, but apparently they were unaware that I run a super small in-home daycare so they removed me from their list :o. If only I could expand and open up a center........ah, that would be great :ouch:!

I won't even respond to text requests. I think it is soooo inappropriate. Why do people think that they deserve a discount?

About #2, I'm sorry, I think that small home daycares SHOULD be spotlighted as a wonderful, loving, often less expensive option. I was on the news, got a TON of calls because of it and have a small waiting list and ALL of my days at capacity. If I post a drop in day available, it is taken almost instantly.

Starburst 07-23-2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I won't even respond to text requests. I think it is soooo inappropriate. Why do people think that they deserve a discount?

About #2, I'm sorry, I think that small home daycares SHOULD be spotlighted as a wonderful, loving, often less expensive option. I was on the news, got a TON of calls because of it and have a small waiting list and ALL of my days at capacity. If I post a drop in day available, it is taken almost instantly.

likethis

That's what I was about to say to both. I would think a serious inquiry would call, even an E-mail is better than text. And why should she get special treatment because she works for the government? You run a private business not a government business!

And you should call back and tell them you run a quality program that is just as good (if not better) than the larger centers in your area. Let them know that some parents are more interested in small home daycares because their kids will have more space and more attention due to lower ratios (which most parents would consider 'high quality' or 'high in demand').

julie 07-23-2013 03:51 PM

I have far too much fun with inquiries like that. "Oh? You work for the government? That's a horse of another color! I charge double for government employees. Have a nice day!"

That's really cool that you were considered. I think it's sad that in home daycares aren't featured because there are a lot of really awesome ones, and I've seen your pictures: definitely a space I am aspiring to have. Congrats!

Lyss 07-23-2013 04:10 PM

I've been getting the "I want a discount" requests lately. I actually debated increasing my rate on my website so when someone asks I can offer them a "discount" or my normal rate :lol: although I'm 100% positive it would just lead to other demands

That stinks about the news! Maybe they require some sort of fee down the line that centers are more likely to pay? Who knows :( There's a local second hand kids clothing store here that doesn't let FCC advertising unless the are certified (the the larger licence available, just below centers) because they swap. So dc advertises store and store advertises dc

Starburst 07-23-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by julie:
I have far too much fun with inquiries like that. "Oh? You work for the government? That's a horse of another color! I charge double for government employees. Have a nice day!"

likethis I Know right. just tell them "So then technically I am paying you to watch your kid, with my business taxes. Isn't that enough for you?"

Lyss 07-23-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Starburst:
likethis I Know right. just tell them "So then technically I am paying you to watch your kid, with my business taxes. Isn't that enough for you?"

My DH works for the state and hates when people tell him thigs like this. Usually its when they are demanding something for free :lol: But in our state lottery dollars fund DH's department not tax dollars, no one seems to actually realize that though :lol:

I get what your saying though. We live is a town with a huge number of state employees and most make good money with amazing benefits but still complain.I had a state employee try to give me a sob story about furlough days, trying to say she had to take 6 a month by contract and that she needed a break on daycare because of it. Wasn't happy when i called her out, DH has to take the same furloughs as well even though his dept as separate funding so I know what the state contract really required :cool: It was 6 over 6 months not one month

Blackcat31 07-23-2013 08:09 PM

When I get asked about discounts, I offer half lunches, little or no toy access, reduced outdoor time and/or vague supervision.

Rates, however are NON-negotiable and not subject to discounts. :D