Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2 YO Biter Only Bites at Home (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93086)

maelb05 02-27-2020 08:34 AM

2 YO Biter Only Bites at Home

I have a 2 yo (just turned 2) who bites his 3 yo brother routinely, but only at home. He has been doing this since he was about a year old. I am so thankful he does not bite anyone here! Mom is very frustrated especially since as soon as he bites, he says “I go to time out now” while smiling.
I have never had to deal with a biter in my childcare. I am curious why he only bites his brother and why it only happens at home?
Mom has asked for advice on how to stop this behavior. Because I have never dealt with a biter here, I don’t have experience with knowing what works best to stop it.

Cat Herder 02-27-2020 08:51 AM

I would wonder what the older sibling is doing that mom is not seeing?

After all, we know biting is communication unless it is occurring completely unprovoked after having received a lot of attention for it in the past (in normal development). ;) Communication of frustration or attention-seeking would be my guesses.

Ariana 02-27-2020 10:08 AM

It is mostly lack of supervision if this is only happening at home. Shadowing and reminding is the only thing that works.

maelb05 02-27-2020 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would wonder what the older sibling is doing that mom is not seeing?

After all, we know biting is communication unless it is occurring completely unprovoked after having received a lot of attention for it in the past (in normal development). ;) Communication of frustration or attention-seeking would be my guesses.

The older brother is very quiet, shy and reserved. I have never seen him be aggressive towards anyone. I know children can act differently depending on their environment, but I really cant see him provoking the bites.
Younger brother is quite the opposite. He is very loud, can be aggressive (tackling kids to the ground, including his brother), and tests boundaries a lot.
I will ask mom what she observes leading up to the bite or if she is even witnessing it happen.
There are definitely times here when I have to step out of his sight (use the bathroom, put a younger child down for nap, etc) and he has never taken those opportunities to bite anyone here.
If the biting is attention seeking, what is the best way to deal with this? This is obviously not behavior that can be ignored.

Cat Herder 02-27-2020 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by maelb05:
This is obviously not behavior that can be ignored.

I disagree. :lol: Negative attention-seeking is well managed with active ignoring.

When DCB bites she should take his sibling away from the area and give him plenty of TLC while ignoring DCB. DCB does not follow them to the next room. DCB does not get mom's full attention away from his sibling from biting or it will continue.

maelb05 02-27-2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I disagree. :lol: Negative attention-seeking is well managed with active ignoring.

When DCB bites she should take his sibling away from the area and give him plenty of TLC while ignoring DCB. DCB does not follow them to the next room. DCB does not get mom's full attention away from his sibling from biting or it will continue.

This makes sense! I was just thinking about ignoring the biting in the wrong way. I will tell mom to try this the next time it happens. Thanks