Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3  ... Last

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Charging on Holidays (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3)

Interested 08-22-2007 02:09 PM

Charging on Holidays

Is it legal to charge for day care for days the children are not at day care or days the day care close because of weather or holidays.:(

Michael 08-22-2007 02:16 PM

Charging for Holidays and Bad Weather for Childcare Daycare

Most facilities have something in writing that describes services rendered. Make sure you ask when first interviewing the facility. Most will charge a flat daily/weekly/monthly rate that will not result in any reduction because of bad weather, holidays, staff vacations etc. Most are private businesses and it is up to you to make sure that you inquire before paying.

Unregistered 09-19-2007 08:46 AM

Yes it is legal.
Why should you get paid for holidays and not us?

Unregistered 10-04-2007 12:56 PM

Exactly my thoughts *Interested*
Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7.

Unregistered 10-05-2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7.

Very well said. Yes, you are paying for the spot, not the hours you use it, unless you EXCEED the hours agreed on.

Unregistered 02-03-2008 09:18 AM

paid holidays

Originally Posted by Unregistered
"Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7. "

My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.

Unregistered 02-14-2008 04:05 PM

Yes it is legal.
Why should you get paid for holidays and not us?

Daycare home from NorthCarolina.
I like to be fair to my parents, If I am closed due to holidays, my parents are not charged for that day. I am getting paid through subsidy any way for that day, & I am not working, why charge my parents....

AC23 04-09-2008 12:36 PM

If it was in the contract you must honor it or give notice and leave. After seeing what all goes into becoming a provider they deserve these days. Back ground checks, many inspections on safety, fire, public health conducted. Trainings in CPR/First Aid/Rescue breathing along with many other areas to include depending on the state a minimum of 6 or more training hours a year. The list could go on criteria that must be met and the pay that many home providers are much less than someone working in a child care center. For instance a home provider may charge for arguement sake $200 a week for up to 50 hours a week. That breaks down to $4.00 an hour. Gee that means that you or anyone paying that a week is paying less than minimum wage to someone that is watching their child. I think paying for holidays or other closures is more than worth it. I think most people under estimate what goes into child care profession along with the importance of this area. what price tag are you willing to put on your child? I know I wouldn't think twice about paying that or more for my infant. Currently I choose not to work so I can stay home with her because I would rather scrap by than allow my child to be put in child care with someone I don't know.

Unregistered 04-12-2008 07:47 AM

charged for holidays

Do you get paid for your holidays? please consider that we have to pay the daycare staff for holidays too! Your getting paid for your holiday and you get the day with your child, huge bonus. If we are to keep our center open we have to have a pro rated system where by the year is broken down to daily manageble amounts. If this did not happen the fee's generally would be higher. Enjoy the holidays with your little one your being paid for it.

Unregistered 05-16-2008 01:20 PM

Considering the average home day care provider works an average of 10.5-12 hours/day with no breaks and no lunch to accommodate the varying needs of her clients I find it essential that she get paid for holidays just as any working professional would. I also think it is important that she get paid for vacations otherwise she might not be able to afford to take them. I don't feel it is healthy for anyone to work those hours 5 days a week and to be financially discouraged from taking vacation and holiday time. Do you really want that unhealthy overworked person caring for your child?

pingaa3 05-17-2008 01:15 PM

10 Paid Holidays

I charge for ten paid holidays and I am closed for one week of unpaid holiday during the week of christmas.

New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
Veterans Day
Presidents Day
Independence Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day After Thanksgiving
Good Friday
Labor Day
Week of Christmas (Unpaid)

Please remember that most of us are open M-F a minimum of 7am-5:30pm. That's a 10.5 hour day with no breaks for lunch etc. We don't get sick days. Some of us are open 6am-6pm - 12 hours.

We are not the enemy, we are the people you are trusting with your most precious asset, your children. For our mental health and the best interest of your child some of us take paid holidays.

Thanks,
pingaa3

P.S. Also most of us have children of our own that are off those days too!

Unregistered 05-21-2008 05:43 AM

Because I charge for holidays and when families take time off, does not mean that I don't like my profession and should get another job.

I have been a provider for 9 years. From day 1 I charged whether the child was here or not. We are only allowed so many children, so that is the only way we can do it and survive. Parents get paid holidays, vacations, etc. Why shouldn't we. They only difference is WE have to write it in our handbooks and give it to ourselves. An employee expects this from their employer, correct? As someone said, you are paying for the slot, not the hours used. If you are renting a home and go on vacation for 2 weeks out of a month, your landlord surely won't give you back 2 weeks rent. It is the same for us.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE IN MY HANDBOOK:

PAYMENT FOR CHILDCARE SERVICES

Payment is expected every Friday, or the last day of the week the child is here.

Rates are guaranteed whether or not you bring your child.

I accept either cash or check. However, there will be a $25 fee for each returned check. You will also be responsible for any charges incurred to my account due to your returned check. I may request cash only payments if there are issues with insufficient fund checks.

Payment obligation is based on the hours you agree to use the childcare services not on actual hours of attendance, unless they exceed the hours contracted.

HOLIDAYS AND VACATIONS

 I WILL BE CLOSED THE FOLLOWING HOLIDAYS:

 New Years Day (or whatever day is celebrated if falls on a weekend day)
 Memorial Day
 July 4 th (or whatever day is celebrated if falls on a weekend day)
 Labor Day
 Thanksgiving and Friday after
 December 24, 25, 26. (Christmas week is subject to change depending on how many people need childcare that week).

 Payment is expected whether the child is here or not. Sick days, vacations, and holidays listed above are included. This includes Christmas week and Thanksgiving week. This applies to part time children also.

 For example—if your child is normally here Monday-Wednesday-Friday (3 days per week) and 1 of those days is a holiday, payment is expected for 3 days, should you choose to change your days for the week and bring your child Tuesday-Wednesday-Friday, payment would then be expected for 4 days.

Another example—if your child is normally here 3 days per week and one of those days the child is sick, a parent takes a vacation day, or for some other reason does not come, payment is still expected for 3 days.

 I will take 3 weeks vacation through the year. Normally these are taken during the summer, but I reserve the right to take them as needed. There may be times where I will take the vacation days on a Friday or Monday to make a long weekend. I will give you my schedule by April 15 for summer weeks off. I will not charge for my 3 vacation weeks.

 There may be some years I choose to not take 3 weeks vacation off.

PART TIME CHILDREN

If your child is part time, and the days vary from week to week, please provide a schedule for me that covers at least two weeks at a time.

Should your child be on a schedule that varies week to week, there is a three day per week minimum rate. For example--if your child is normally here 3 days per week and 1 week you only need childcare for 1 day, payment will still be expected for 3 days.

MATERNITY LEAVE and EXTENDED SICK LEAVE (parent or child)

I do not offer an unpaid maternity leave or extended sick leave for families because my business and my income are based on my enrollment at all times. I do offer to keep the spot open for you using the following guidelines:

 If your child is here 5 days per week----I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at $40 per week. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks 2 days a week for this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

 If your child is here 4 days a week -----I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at $35 per week. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks 2 days a week for this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

 If your child is here 3 days a week ----I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks for $30 per week. You may bring your child 1 day per week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 1 day per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

 If your child is here 2 days a week ----I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks for $25 per week. You may bring your child 1 day per week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 1 day per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

 Under the extended sickness policy, full payment is expected for the first 2 consecutive weeks off.

 Full payment for the first 2 consecutive weeks off of maternity leave is not expected because it is a planned leave of absence. If you start a week and then go on maternity leave during the middle of the week, payment is expected at regular rate for that week, and then your hold the spot rate will start the following week.

 If additional time off is needed, please let me know, I am sure we can work out an agreement.

 The hold the spot rates above are based on 1 child per family, it will increase the more children I am holding the spot for.

CHILD SICKNESS

Please do not bring your child if they are sick, vomiting, have diarrhea, have a fever, or may be contagious to other children. If your child becomes ill during childcare hours, I will call you to pick up your child. I do accept children with mild ailments. Please use your best judgment. If you are in doubt, call me and together we will make a joint decision.

While I do not expect a parent to miss work due to colds and mild ailments, I do ask that you send medications to help alleviate the symptoms of colds, runny noses, coughing and sneezing. The constant runny nose, sneezing and coughing is how germs are spread.

A mom 05-23-2008 06:01 AM

Our daycare provider charges only for the days my daughter is physically there so long as we tell them by the Sunday evening of that particular week. So we do not pay for holidays, we do not pay for our vacations, and we don't pay for any days I know in advance that she won't be there. They use this open communication system of scheduling to give their caretakers more flexibility in their own schedules. So no, not all providers charge for the "slot." Some actually charge for the care that is provided.

crazycat97306 05-23-2008 06:27 AM

I personally take 5 holidays off each year as well as a week at the end of summer. I also usually take 3-4 days off throughout the year as sick days. These are days where I am too sick to care for children properly or days when my own kids have something contagious like strep throat. I charge monthly based on 4 weeks in a month. For example, I charge $440 per month per child, based on $110 for 4 weeks. Therefore parents are only paying for 48 weeks a year instead of 52. This allows me to take my time off without having to lose any money. This also means that parents are not paying twice when they have to pay for backup.

Unregistered 06-01-2008 10:38 AM

The daycare provider I use charges a full-time monthly rate. Although I only take my daughter to the provider 3 days/week, I still pay the full-time amount. In addition, I pay on holidays. All of these were in the agreement we signed. I would be curious though, since I ended up in an argument last week with her, others' opinions on the issue of charging me when she takes time off for illness. There have been 3 weeks in the past 6 months that she was out and she continues to charge me (with no backup provider). She states in her pamphlet that she takes 1 week unpaid off each year, however when I asked her about pro-rating the month where she took 1.5 weeks off she became very defensive. She guilt-tripped me, after telling me rudely to keep $50, by then saying "I hope I can pay my bills this month". Needless to say, I left all of the money for her and left crying because I was so frustrated!

Unregistered 06-03-2008 07:23 AM

The daycare provider I use charges a full-time monthly rate. Although I only take my daughter to the provider 3 days/week, I still pay the full-time amount. In addition, I pay on holidays. All of these were in the agreement we signed. I would be curious though, since I ended up in an argument last week with her, others' opinions on the issue of charging me when she takes time off for illness. There have been 3 weeks in the past 6 months that she was out and she continues to charge me (with no backup provider). She states in her pamphlet that she takes 1 week unpaid off each year, however when I asked her about pro-rating the month where she took 1.5 weeks off she became very defensive. She guilt-tripped me, after telling me rudely to keep $50, by then saying "I hope I can pay my bills this month". Needless to say, I left all of the money for her and left crying because I was so frustrated!

Once again did you or did you not agree to the terms of the agreement? And knowing that she didn't have a back up, why would you not have your own? If you don't agree to the terms of the agreement, put in notice and leave. I charge a flat rate and whether your child is here or not (by me myself having to take vacation, a holiday or I'm sick) I still expect to be paid! Personally if my provider said she was taking a month off paid to have say surgery, etc. I would put in my notice and find someone else! Its as simple as that!

pingaa3 06-03-2008 05:49 PM

Switch providers

mac60 06-04-2008 01:20 AM

While I do agree that parents need to make sure they understand the providers contract, and if you don't agree to it or don't like it you can move on. I don't agree with "just switch providers". Just like the parents, the providers can get sick, need surgery, etc, and may need to take time off to recoup. Why is it ok for a parent to have surgery, take off 6 weeks, and be guaranteed your job back, yet as providers, your answers are to "switch". Yes, it would be an inconvenience to find a sub for a short amount of time, but it can be done.

I don't believe you should have to pay your provider for the time she is off, but I do believe you should sit down with her and discuss the situation. That is if you like her as a provider and don't want to lose her.

I think it is sad that people are saying "switch" if the provider is taking time off due to sickness/surgery. Parents need to understand that we are human too, if the parent was sick they would expect to be entitled to time off from their employer. If you like the provider, you need to talk with her.

Bottom line, providers are human and get sick, have emergencies, etc. Gees, with my parents, if I "missed" as much work as some of my parents do, I wouldn't have a job.

Unregistered 11-24-2008 07:03 AM

I just called my daycare provider and although my kids are only going to be there for 2 days for the Thanksgiving holiday, they are going to charge me for the full week. This is a complete rip off! I understand that they need to pay their staff for their vacations and all, but they should factor this into the weekly tuition costs. I am already paying an arm and a leg for substandard care to began with.

Finding a better daycare is obsolete at this point. I am in Atlanta, GA, and they have horrible daycare centers in this area. My kids are at one of the better centers out of the 4 that I pulled them out of.

Unregistered 11-25-2008 09:52 AM

I just called my daycare provider and although my kids are only going to be there for 2 days for the Thanksgiving holiday, they are going to charge me for the full week. This is a complete rip off! I understand that they need to pay their staff for their vacations and all, but they should factor this into the weekly tuition costs. I am already paying an arm and a leg for substandard care to began with.

Finding a better daycare is obsolete at this point. I am in Atlanta, GA, and they have horrible daycare centers in this area. My kids are at one of the better centers out of the 4 that I pulled them out of.

Well then i guess your just gonna have to feel ripped off then huh!..........Know you know what a rip off is...............taking care of your children for substandard pay!!!!! I'm entitled to charge for holidays and charge for at least 2 personal days. Its funny how the holidays don't ever seem to be a problem until the week of. Any other providers have this problem. I find myself having to break out the contract over and over again.

lilbiddapopcorn 11-26-2008 12:56 AM

Too defensive?

I think people need to deal with these issues on a case-by-case basis. Not everyone is in the same situation and there isn't a "one size fits all" answer to this question. It depends on what you signed when you started working with your provider. Some providers omit holiday pay in their contract and then it becomes a problem later. Other times parents sign a contract saying they have no problem with it, and then come time to pay it suddenly becomes a problem. Still others providers (there's an example above) have providers who put something in their contract and then change it later to accommodate themselves (such as taking off x amount of weeks for surgery and asking for full time pay when they stated in their contract they wouldn't do that.) Whatever the situation is, I suggest you first try communicating with your provider/parent. And I can't stress enough that before you sign a contract READ IT and know that you understand it. Ask questions if you don't understand something completely and make sure you're both on the same page. If you don't agree to pay for holidays, find one that doesn't charge for holidays BEFORE you settle down with a provider. Don't sign up with one, complete the contract, and get your kids used to a particular provider and then rip them from one daycare to the next because the holidays came around and you don't want to pay for them.

Unregistered 11-26-2008 09:38 AM

I understand, and can except, paying for a holiday. But paying for the days around a holiday, that I can not understand. I work in retail... ever heard of Black Friday? Well, I have to take that day off to stay home with my kids. This is an unpaid day off, in which I also loose my Holiday pay because my employer does not pay if we take the day before or after off. So, all in all, I am out one day of pay, one holiday pay and I still have to pay for daycare for those two days. This is going to cost me half of my mortgage! We do not have any family in the area, and no other daycare will take them for just one day. Is it really right that I will have to get a aditional part time job (and loose even more time with my kids) in order for my daycare to have a "holiday" that I don't even get? Please, keep in mind that not everyone has subsidized daycare, not everyone gets those days off (or paid off), and not everyone is able to go without large sums of money (especially in this economy). I love my children dearly, and would love to stay home, but we are not able to afford it. We are barely scraping by as it is, hours are shrinking, expenses are going up... how am I to foot the bill for someone to get better benefits than I do?

lilbiddapopcorn 11-29-2008 02:10 AM

Communicate

:( I'm sorry for your situation. My contract states that I understand not all parents get holidays off, and i'm willing to work with those who don't. I normally take holidays off (not the day before or after though) and I tell the parents unless they let me know in advance they need care for a holiday I'll assume they don't need it and I take the day off. The only exception here is Christmas Day, I don't provide care that day because I have my own family and I can't see that working out well. Have you tried talking to your provider about your situation? And if he/she's absolutely not going to work with you, maybe you should find someone who can so that you aren't forced to take another part time job. After all, time with your children is priceless...and it's important that the childcare you have for your children works for the provider AND for you.

Hope that helps a little...

CharlesReese 12-23-2008 02:06 PM

Honesty and Integrity

I personally don't own a day care, nor do I ever plan on it. However, I do understand that it is a business, but any business should know what is ethical and unethical or does anyone have a conscious these days.

After reading some of the post that had been written some time ago, I wonder how you think you should be paid for holidays and for inclement weather when you don’t watch children.

My problem is this, if you watch a child then you should be paid for those services. If you don’t then there should be no charge. My wife and I have to deal with her brother and his wife. They don’t have a day care, but they sure do operate their home like it is. (Of course there home can be treated as such.)

Earning my Master’s and learning more and more about businesses and how they operate helps me understand what is ethical and not ethical. So again let me ask the question, why should daycare’s be paid for services not rendered for bad weather, holidays, or when children can be watched by their parents?

Just saying, “you get paid holidays why shouldn’t we” is not an valid argument.

It’s dishonest to charge parents when you don’t watch children. I do agree that policies should be up front and in writing. But again are your policies honest? If they are, then I’m sure parents will enjoy doing business with you, if not your probably still going to have that migraine.

Companies still have to take out federal income tax, state income tax, health care fees, retirement, S.S. fees, and disability. Of course some of these are mandatory while others are voluntarily. So as a daycare are you doing all of this? Do you offer retirement for your employees, paid holidays, paid time off, and sick leave?

Again, why should parents pay a daycare for services they didn’t provide?

If someone on this blog can give me an honest and valid argument then maybe you can persuade me to understand why you should be paid for services not provided?

Unregistered 12-24-2008 02:31 PM

So you having the education that you do........you do understand how salary pay works right! My daycare is a flat rate on a yearly bases and you can either pay by the year, month or i break it down for you on a weekly basis, which is how most parents pay. I pay my taxes every year just like you do. And i have no employees, its just me, I work 6 days a week and sometimes 18 hours a day! I have dedicated my life to caring for and teaching other peoples children and i think that entitles me to some paid days off! Whether it be a hoilday or not. Not to mention by law i can take up to 10 paid days off a year! Oh but please understand I'm not trying to persuade you into understanding this! But this is a business and i run it as such! Understand this........what would you think if your boss called and said , well don't come in for the next week we don't have any customers to service and oh by the way were not going to pay you for that week either! Would you be ok with that?

Unregistered 12-24-2008 06:28 PM

So you having the education that you do........you do understand how salary pay works right! My daycare is a flat rate on a yearly bases and you can either pay by the year, month or i break it down for you on a weekly basis, which is how most parents pay. I pay my taxes every year just like you do. And i have no employees, its just me, I work 6 days a week and sometimes 18 hours a day! I have dedicated my life to caring for and teaching other peoples children and i think that entitles me to some paid days off! Whether it be a hoilday or not. Not to mention by law i can take up to 10 paid days off a year! Oh but please understand I'm not trying to persuade you into understanding this! But this is a business and i run it as such! Understand this........what would you think if your boss called and said , well don't come in for the next week we don't have any customers to service and oh by the way were not going to pay you for that week either! Would you be ok with that?

Hi,
You can take as many days off as you want and still charge the same flat monthly rate. There is no set amount of days you can take off in your own business, you might want to look into it : )

Merry Christmas

Unregistered 12-25-2008 10:39 AM

Hi,
You can take as many days off as you want and still charge the same flat monthly rate. There is no set amount of days you can take off in your own business, you might want to look into it : )

Merry Christmas

Thanks for that info. I usually only take major hoildays off and 1 week(paid) and 1 week (unpaid) for vacation a year! I just don't know how to make these parents understand that just because Your child didn't attend today, does not mean i have to day off. I'm still working and i expect to be paid for that!

NEDaycare 12-30-2008 10:49 AM

Paid holidays

When I had my children in daycare, I had absolutely no problem paying my provider for holidays. However, I did choose not to take my child to a provider that wanted pay for holidays as well as two weeks of paid vacation. It was my choice. I have never had my children with a daycare provider that did not charge just a flat weekly rate, anyhow. And that is fair to me. They have to budget for daycare expenses related to their business and personal expenses. They are not "on call". They have a certain number of slots alloted to them by the state if they are licensed, and each slot is worth a certain amount of money each week. They have to determine how to manage their business appropriately, and successfully.

Now, as a licensed child care provider, I created my business contract with what I felt was fair. I am not paid for my vacations or my sick days. I am paid for major holidays, but if I take a day off before or after a major holiday, I do not charge for it. It's not a matter of ethics. It is a matter of creating a business contract, and offering the terms and conditions of my business available to all parents that inquire, and having them choose whether or not they agree with those terms. If not, they find alternative arrangements. However, at $90 per week for full time care, my rates are extremely, extremely reasonable for this area. Plus, giving parents several free days off per year so that they dont have to pay for some of their child's sick days and possibly a vacation that they would like to take is my way of compromising payment for emergencies and for life plans, while not putting myself out of business. Like Liddabitapopcorn said, there's no single answer to the question. But those of us that do charge for holidays are not unethical. It's a matter of choice by the parent whether they enroll their child or not. And I would hope they'd think enough of us (who spend more waking hours with their child per day than they, themselves do) to want to keep our businesses successful.

Originally Posted by CharlesReese:
I personally don't own a day care, nor do I ever plan on it. However, I do understand that it is a business, but any business should know what is ethical and unethical or does anyone have a conscious these days.

After reading some of the post that had been written some time ago, I wonder how you think you should be paid for holidays and for inclement weather when you don’t watch children.

My problem is this, if you watch a child then you should be paid for those services. If you don’t then there should be no charge. My wife and I have to deal with her brother and his wife. They don’t have a day care, but they sure do operate their home like it is. (Of course there home can be treated as such.)

Earning my Master’s and learning more and more about businesses and how they operate helps me understand what is ethical and not ethical. So again let me ask the question, why should daycare’s be paid for services not rendered for bad weather, holidays, or when children can be watched by their parents?

It’s dishonest to charge parents when you don’t watch children. I do agree that policies should be up front and in writing. But again are your policies honest? If they are, then I’m sure parents will enjoy doing business with you, if not your probably still going to have that migraine.

Companies still have to take out federal income tax, state income tax, health care fees, retirement, S.S. fees, and disability. Of course some of these are mandatory while others are voluntarily. So as a daycare are you doing all of this? Do you offer retirement for your employees, paid holidays, paid time off, and sick leave?

Again, why should parents pay a daycare for services they didn’t provide?

If someone on this blog can give me an honest and valid argument then maybe you can persuade me to understand why you should be paid for services not provided?

Texasjeepgirl 02-01-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by NEDaycare:
When I had my children in daycare, I had absolutely no problem paying my provider for holidays. However, I did choose not to take my child to a provider that wanted pay for holidays as well as two weeks of paid vacation. It was my choice. I have never had my children with a daycare provider that did not charge just a flat weekly rate, anyhow. And that is fair to me. They have to budget for daycare expenses related to their business and personal expenses. They are not "on call". They have a certain number of slots alloted to them by the state if they are licensed, and each slot is worth a certain amount of money each week. They have to determine how to manage their business appropriately, and successfully.

Now, as a licensed child care provider, I created my business contract with what I felt was fair. I am not paid for my vacations or my sick days. I am paid for major holidays, but if I take a day off before or after a major holiday, I do not charge for it. It's not a matter of ethics. It is a matter of creating a business contract, and offering the terms and conditions of my business available to all parents that inquire, and having them choose whether or not they agree with those terms. If not, they find alternative arrangements. However, at $90 per week for full time care, my rates are extremely, extremely reasonable for this area. Plus, giving parents several free days off per year so that they dont have to pay for some of their child's sick days and possibly a vacation that they would like to take is my way of compromising payment for emergencies and for life plans, while not putting myself out of business. Like Liddabitapopcorn said, there's no single answer to the question. But those of us that do charge for holidays are not unethical. It's a matter of choice by the parent whether they enroll their child or not. And I would hope they'd think enough of us (who spend more waking hours with their child per day than they, themselves do) to want to keep our businesses successful.

Very well stated.

I do believe that each situation is different, for all of those who are posting.
In 1992, when my daughter was 11 months old, I enrolled her in a small REGISTERED Home Child Care.
I was provided with a 1 page CONTRACT that stated I would pay a FLAT WEEKLY FEE regardless of whether my child attended or not.
I signed it. However, I didn't actually READ AND COMPREHEND.
After only a few weeks of using this provider, I only took my child in 3 days one week. I deducted the days that I did not use from the check I made out for her.
She did not correct me.
A week or two later, again, I only needed care 3 days, and again I PRORATED her paycheck. Again she did not correct me.
The third time was a charm.
I only used her 2 days in a week, prorated her paycheck, and she stopped me in my tracks.
She said that I had signed a contract with her stating that I would pay the same amount each week, regardless of whether my child attended all 5 days or not. I was SPEACHLESS. I could NOT comprehend that this woman expected me to pay for days my child was NOT IN HER CARE.
But, I decided it was my mistake. I should have read the contract before I signed.

One year later, I began my own REGISTERED daycare. Then I began to understand the concept of paying full time fees for a full time position in my child care business.

After 17 years, and switching from being a REGISTERED provider to a LICENSED provider, the PARENT HANDBOOK I provide to a parent is very clear.
Full time fee is required whether your child attends all 5 days or not.
I list the NATIONAL HOLIDAYS that I will be closed for the year, with full pay.
I do state that if a holiday falls on Thursday, such as Thanksgiving, I will also be closed Friday.
If a holiday falls on Tuesday, I will also be closed on Monday.
(to all providers, it is very important to think ahead, and have this clearly stated in your handbook from the beginning, you can't decide it as an afterthought and expect a parent to agree to this)

I also state that although I will not charge a parent if I close down for a full, Monday-Friday week, I do reserve 10 days per year for PERSONAL USE, ie illness, family emergency, weather related closing or other.
In the event of an emergency closure, I will notify the parents as soon as possible, but, if I am going to take a PERSONAL DAY, I will notify them several weeks, if not several MONTHS in advance.

With all of that said....
because I DO NOT charge parents for a full week if I close down, in 2007 I had a hysterectomy.
Because I could not afford to close my daycare down and loose income, my sister came and ran my daycare for the 3 days I was in the hospital.
I worked Monday, she worked Tuesday-Thursday, while I had surgery, and returned home.
On Friday, with the help of my husband and 4 teenage daughters, I was back to work, following MAJOR SURGERY...not smart...but I did it...CAREFULLY.
The daycare was never closed, and the parents were NEVER inconvenienced.
Fortunately, I had no complications. After 2 weeks I was back to working with no assistance from my daughters.

I think the main thing I'm trying to relate to all readers of this thread is this:
A quality provider, regardless of the size of her business, should provide a parent with written operational policies in the beginning.
For all TEXAS childcare providers that are LICENSED OR REGISTERED, this is a requirement of MINIMUM STANDARD OF CHILD CARE LICENSING, and your child care licensing representative will check you on this standard.

Any time I interview a prosepctive new client, I give them a tour of my daycare, I answer all questions they ask of me, then I provide them with my PARENT HANDBOOK. I very clearly tell them that they must read it in full before making the decision of whether to enroll their child in my daycare. I further explain that although they may like what they see, and like my personality/qualifications as a child care provider, I do have certain operational policies that they must understand and agree to before we can begin our partnership as PARENT/CHILD CARE PROVIDER.
If, once they read my handbook, they do not feel that they can live by my PARENT HANDBOOK, then they are free to move on and seek child care from another provider.

My daycare is open 6:30-5:30. 11 hours per day.
Fortunately I am rarely sick. Although I list in my handbook that I allow myself 10 personal days per year, I think I used 3 last year.
I pride myself on being reliable. My clients depend on me.
However, I am ONLY HUMAN...and I am a 1 woman show...so if I am sick, or have an emergency...my parents must be understanding of that.
They understand from the beginning that I work alone. If they choose me as their provider, they are choosing an individual, not a facility. I don't have employees that can take care of things if I am ill.

For all parents, if you are searching for child care, be sure you discuss all of these issues from DAY 1 with your child care provider.
These are important issues.

tymaboy 02-01-2009 08:58 AM

Because we are a business we have to pay taxes like everyone else. We also need to pay in more cuz employers pay some of SS.

I just recently went to a weekly rate cuz at an hourly rate when a family decides at the last minute to not bring their child then you now have a day that you could have more children but can not fill due to the fact that you need to keep that spot open for the family that is paying an hourly fee that changes their schedule when they see fit. As a weekly fee the parents are paying for the spot & is more convenient.

I found this that I think explains the weekly pay pretty well & will be handing it to may parents when they sign up

Originally Posted by :
*Do you pay for a whole month of cable-even if you only watch it 24 days a month?
* Do you pay full price for your VCR if you only use it twice a week?
* Do you pay full price for your meal even if you don’t finish it?
* Do you pay the same rent/mortgage even when you are at work 5 days a week?

In my child care, you pay per “position”, which means that the position is held just for your child and is not based on attendance.

Your childcare fees provide my income including the taxes, which I pay into. Your fees pay for food, paper products, cleaning supplies, play equipment, baby equipment, art and craft supplies, utilities, nap mats, pack n plays, special chairs and furniture, strollers and car seats. Lots of repairs and wear and tear, entertainment expenses, paperwork and supplies, special events and all the other things that your child will use.

Like other self-employed workers, family childcare providers do not receive the benefits many employees take for granted. These include, health/dental insurance, retirement/pension, paid personal days, personal vacation time, maternity leave, workers comp, flexible time off and unemployment insurance. These benefits often amount to as much as 35% of a person’s wages.

Family childcare is a blessing to your family, in that your children will have much more individual attention and opportunities for learning, and much less illness than a center. There is also much less staff turnover, as your child will have one person caring for him or her only, and will not be transferred from one room in the center to another. This kind of ongoing relationship between child and caregiver has been shown to be the very healthiest situation possible for young children.

Unlike other forms of self-employment, family childcare is very restrictive in that there is no room for growth. The state dictates the size of my business. I cannot take time off for appointments or obligations without careful planning. Most people have a 40 hour work week. Mine is 55 hours and up, and that does not include all my preparation, bookkeeping, paperwork, shopping or cleaning time.

I hope this gives you a better understanding about all the ways in which your childcare fees are applied.

I charge for 10 holidays but do not charge for for my sick days or vacation days. I tell all my parents that I am open during bad weather & it is up to them if they came.

leadhead15717 02-03-2009 07:00 PM

*Do you pay for a whole month of cable-even if you only watch it 24 days a month?
* Do you pay full price for your VCR if you only use it twice a week?
* Do you pay full price for your meal even if you don’t finish it?
* Do you pay the same rent/mortgage even when you are at work 5 days a week?
*Do you pay your full car payments if you only drive it a few days a month?
* Do you pay your whole cable bill if you only watch TV one day a week.

This list could go on but it amazes me that people can't grasp the concept when it comes to Day Care services.........:confused:

Unregistered 03-02-2009 04:26 PM

You seem a little bitter! I am sure you have had your run in with parents. Im also sure you have some lower income families who may have a difficult time paying for daycare. It may help you if you did break it down for them so they could understand why you do charge for these times and show them that it makes it easier to help keep your daycare open and running as it should. And yes parents do whine as much as children I work with both and if you take a look im sure you have had your own share of whining as im sure I have.

Unregistered 03-16-2009 09:57 AM

Everyone whines about their jobs once in a while. I have paid holidays and 2 weeks paid vacation in my contract. Although I love my job, the ultimate reason for me to do childcare was to be home with my own children also. I feel that my children deserve some one on one time with just their mom, and not their mom taking care of everyone elses children. Also, there are many parents out there, that unless I closed for my vacations, they would NEVER take the time to spend with their kids. I am licensed for 8, but I keep my limit to about 5, so everyone can get the most attention I can give. If I am charging $125 (approx) a week per child, and I did not get paid for my week vacation, then I am out about $600.00 for the month. I depend on that money to pay my mortgage and buy food (for the daycare kids also, who by the way, are supposed to be fed breakfast prior to arrival-but seldom do). The parents wake them up and they are in a car within minutes. The parents don't take the time to sit down to breakfast with their kids. Bottom line is: I cannot find a child for one day to fill in the spot that a parent decides at 8:00 in the morning not to bring their child. There is not a line of kids waiting at the door for fill-in childcare to supplement my income. Also to the "educated" woman who says we should get an education if we want the benefits: I do have an education, but I felt it was more important for me to raise my won children, than have a stranger do it for me. Also, I can have the benefits, because it is my company and I make the rules. Parents know this up front, and I have parents refer me to friends and come back when they have had more children because they trust me and can't imagine going elsewhere with their babies. I treat the children like they are my own, and if the parents have to be at work, their kids should be loved as if they were home. This entitles me to some benefits. I will never have a retirement or a 401K or life insurance or health insurance......but I sure will take some paid time off.

md12 03-17-2009 12:58 PM

I'm a parent and at work I'm not paid for holidays... I don't have a problem paying holidays at daycare... Most companies pay holidays, I'm just not lucky to work for one of those.
My problem is... why pay full tuition when daycare is closed due to wheatear condition?
It will be fair to parents that all providers will charge less because they do not open, do not provide food for that day, no crafts are done... nothing is used from the daycare. I understand you have to pay rent, teachers, little bit of electricity, etc for that day... so charge as much as you think you will need to pay those and that's it. Anyway the parents are not working or have to find somebody to babysit... it's a double expense on the parents...
I think a daycare business should be more flexible on rules like this.

seashell 04-28-2009 10:47 AM

Paid less than minimum wage

If you are not happy with paying for your providers holidays, then find a new provider. I am amazed at the parents out there who don't read the documents presented to them and then complain.

You need to pay the entire cost to rent a hotel room . . . you can't just pay for the hours you are in the room. It's still your room from the time you sign the register until you check out.

I don't charge my parents for my sick days or vacation. I do charge for holidays as most providers do.

But to make it "Fair" to parents and providers alike, lets try it this way. Parents, you don't have to pay for holidays but you do have to pay your provider at least minimum wage. Federal minimum wage is currently $6.65 per hour and will be 7.25 per hour in July. So to make it easy, lets just call it $7 per hour.

So, if you leave your child with your provider for 40 hours a week at $7 per hour your weeky fee would be $280.00.

I wonder how many of you are paying alot less than minimum wage when you break it down by hour?

Considering the great service they provide you. You child is loved, happy, educated and well cared for. That isn't even worth minimum wage to you?

Most providers care for kids because they enjoy it. They arn't out to screw parents. If they were, you'd be paying more than minimum wage per hour. So whats the compromise for affordable weekly care? Be considerate and appreciative and pay for holidays!

mac60 06-18-2009 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by A mom:
Our daycare provider charges only for the days my daughter is physically there so long as we tell them by the Sunday evening of that particular week. So we do not pay for holidays, we do not pay for our vacations, and we don't pay for any days I know in advance that she won't be there. They use this open communication system of scheduling to give their caretakers more flexibility in their own schedules. So no, not all providers charge for the "slot." Some actually charge for the care that is provided.

I would guess that the providers that charge this way....only charge for hours used.....are providers that do not really need a "job" and this simply gives them something to do. Now me, I need a job and I run my daycare business as such. I run a very good program complete with preschool curriculum and all. And yes, doing it this way does cost me money. And yes, I charge whether the child is here or not, vacation, holidays, and sick days included. Now if I could have 20 kids on my roster and hope the 6 show up each day to meet my income needs, that is one thing. But we can't do that here as we have a limit for in our care. So yes, each spot is worth $$ and if you choose to not attend after you reserved your spot with me, you still have to pay. Even 15 years ago when my own kids were in daycare that is how it was.

melissa ann 06-26-2009 04:32 PM

I don't charge for holidays or for my 1 week vacation. However, I have just revised my handbook. I will now charge for scheduled days. Before, if I was told child #1 would be here 4 days but then only shows up for 2 because of other plans I would just charge for the 2 days child was here. But, since I only have 1 family,losing the daily rate by 3 would add up.
I really want to charge a flat weekly rate, but in my area, that's not what others are doing. They are charging a daily rate on days when children are in their care.

Chickenhauler 06-27-2009 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by mac60:
I would guess that the providers that charge this way....only charge for hours used.....are providers that do not really need a "job" and this simply gives them something to do. Now me, I need a job and I run my daycare business as such. I run a very good program complete with preschool curriculum and all. And yes, doing it this way does cost me money. And yes, I charge whether the child is here or not, vacation, holidays, and sick days included. Now if I could have 20 kids on my roster and hope the 6 show up each day to meet my income needs, that is one thing. But we can't do that here as we have a limit for in our care. So yes, each spot is worth $$ and if you choose to not attend after you reserved your spot with me, you still have to pay. Even 15 years ago when my own kids were in daycare that is how it was.

You're obviously dealing with parents who have normal, 9-5 jobs.

My wife could never do this, as she has some parents who work ever changing schedules, wait staff, cas-ino staff, prison guards, single mom's who work multiple jobs, etc.

However, when the parent gets their schedule, they come to her with it, and notify her of that schedule, at which point they are locked into paying for those hours they committed to.

With some parents, she is flexible-say the parent has their hours changed, so instead of being 10am to 6pm, it becomes 2pm to 10pm, they are not charged from 10am to 10pm, but just the hours they were there.

It's kinda hard to stick it to the poor girl who is a single mom, working two jobs to make ends meet, when every day you see her say a short prayer when she hops in her car that it will start.

Our area is far from being affluent, and many of the jobs are "you are going to work these hours, or you're not going to work here" kinda places. That really sucks, but it's the truth.

Trust me, if my wife needed "something to do" I think she'd find I can come up with plenty of projects to occupy her time.:D

mac60 07-02-2009 05:19 AM

Personally, I would never had taken a child to a provider that was open more than 1 shift, as that means that provider never gets a break.

As far as a parent's schedule changing, of course as a provider, we have to be flexible to a point and charge accordingly.

Unregistered 07-03-2009 11:34 AM

a little compassion for the provider

I would agree that it's tough to understand it til you've been in a provider's shoes.
For the record, I AM educated and I CHOSE this field because I LOVE children. I really do.

I continue my education at a minimum of 16 hours per year. I am also a BUSINESS owner and everything else you can think of. It's a lot of work and very rewarding, but very underpaid as it is WITHOUT the paid holidays or time off. The fees are based on a flat rate to cover expenses plus earn some money as well. (at least half of what I make goes right back into the daycare every week). Do you work for free? Does your employer pay salary and then say they changed their mind and will deduct salary because they will be closed one day?

If you had a babysitter, you would be lucky to get by with paying them less than $8.00/hour and that's a highschool student. Now, your paying a professional, not a babysitter AND you are paying at LEAST half of a babysitter's pay. PLUS, you are getting quality and loving care and education for that money. You can trust your child is in good hands.

You'd pay more for a nanny, and she would expect some sort of compensation as well. Daycare providers are not out to get you and rip you off. They love children. They love their work and it's a professional job---just like yours is, Master's degree or not.

Just something to think about.

Chickenhauler 07-05-2009 12:51 PM

Personally, I would never had taken a child to a provider that was open more than 1 shift, as that means that provider never gets a break.

As far as a parent's schedule changing, of course as a provider, we have to be flexible to a point and charge accordingly.

It's not like we have 6-10 kids here 24/7, usually more like one kid in the evening, and we have one that arrives at 3 am and goes back to sleep (she's 8).

Being that we have our own kids, it's like having a friend over playing, or someone visiting our home.

If we had more than one or two kids in the evenings, I think I'd hide in the shop much, much more!:D

GretasLittleFriends 07-06-2009 01:51 PM

I'm glad there are providers open 2+ shifts. I'd have never made in the world if I hadn't found one. I worked a 12 1/2 hour shift which meant that my kids were in daycare from 7am - 8pm, sometimes 9pm. If I hadn't found this woman I'd have ended up in the poor house due to not being able to keep my job. I loved her flexibility.

When I got out of that career line and opened my home to children, she was my inspiration. I wanted to help and cater to the parents like I used to be.

I AM open 24/7 oh about 355 days a year. Of course closed major holidays and a couple of personal days a year. The majority of my business is NOT m-f 7:30a - 5:30p. Actually there is one day a week that one of my children fall into that. Out of 7 days and 7 kids enrolled. They of course aren't here all at the same time. Some days none of them are here and they are never here all at the same time. I love it this way and wouldn't have it any other way.

All of my parents are very thankful to have found me and are appreciative that I keep the hours I do.

mac60 07-06-2009 03:19 PM

I know in many states there are time restraints that a provider can be open, like only 1 shift, or max of a set amount of hours per 24 hours.

The only reason I say this is because, as a provider, I lose out on so much of our family time/personal time as it is, as my work day now is 11+ hours from set up 6 a.m., arrival at 6:30, then close at 5 pm, then clean up.

I just think for a person to function well, they need personal/family time and caring for children 24/7, or even 2 shifts per week, does not allow for that. I have often wondered how people who do this do their shopping, appointments, school functions for own children, etc. I just think it is way to easy to get burned out this way. Heck, doing it 1 shift has it's issues of long days, and no benefits. At least in the evenings I can get away from it.

melissa ann 07-06-2009 05:06 PM

I agree with Mac60. Even setting aside, being a childcare provider, everyone needs a little "me" time. My daycare hours are 6am-5pm, and I usually have the 3 kids the whole time. I also have 2 young children of my own. Till we have supper and get the dishes done, it doesn't leave much family time. The kids that I watch are really good, I enjoy having them, but most days I'm almost always relieved when they go home. I did have some calls from parents that needed hours beyond 5pm. I turned them down, because my family needs to come first. I understand that they may have jobs that require them to work 10 + hours per day. But as it is now, I'm already open 11 hours.

Chickenhauler 07-24-2009 09:29 PM

I know in many states there are time restraints that a provider can be open, like only 1 shift, or max of a set amount of hours per 24 hours.

The only reason I say this is because, as a provider, I lose out on so much of our family time/personal time as it is, as my work day now is 11+ hours from set up 6 a.m., arrival at 6:30, then close at 5 pm, then clean up.

I just think for a person to function well, they need personal/family time and caring for children 24/7, or even 2 shifts per week, does not allow for that. I have often wondered how people who do this do their shopping, appointments, school functions for own children, etc. I just think it is way to easy to get burned out this way. Heck, doing it 1 shift has it's issues of long days, and no benefits. At least in the evenings I can get away from it.

In our home, the daycare children are treated just the same as our own kids.

What do you do with your own kids when you go shopping, appointments, school functions, etc? You take them with.

We're not talking a full litter here, maybe two DC kids at the most in the evenings, and it's not every night.

The DC kids sit down with us and play games, have "movie nights", go putter in the garden, or go for an evening walk just as if they were our own. It's not such a big deal.

mac60 07-25-2009 01:13 PM

I do not want to pay extra car insurance expense to transport daycare children. I do not transport. Period. I already pay extra homeowners insurance for my business. Still, taking dc children to the store, etc. is not the same as taking your own children, you still are not having that personal family time. It it works for you, fine, it doesn't work for many of us. Just like others in other out of the home jobs.....everyone needs a break from their job, and I doubt that anyone can deny that. Not only that, but most of the families I have had, request that I do not transport kids anywhere. I personally don't want that responsibility.

melissa ann 07-25-2009 04:49 PM

I do not transport kids. I agree with Mac60. I do not want that responsiblity.
And having 1 or 2 kids in the evening is not the same personal family time. Everyone needs a break from their jobs. Even from just being a mom. My husband usually takes our kids to the park once a week for 1-2 hrs so I can just have me time. Where I can watch a little tv (no sesame st or sponge bob), read, crochet or just take a nap. I can't tell you how that little me time, refreshes me. Once a week my mom usually takes my kids for supper and they are gone about 2-3hrs. It's a nice break.

Chickenhauler 07-26-2009 12:36 AM

I do not want to pay extra car insurance expense to transport daycare children. I do not transport. Period. I already pay extra homeowners insurance for my business. Still, taking dc children to the store, etc. is not the same as taking your own children, you still are not having that personal family time. It it works for you, fine, it doesn't work for many of us. Just like others in other out of the home jobs.....everyone needs a break from their job, and I doubt that anyone can deny that. Not only that, but most of the families I have had, request that I do not transport kids anywhere. I personally don't want that responsibility.

Our daycare policy covers children being transported in vehicles "owned, leased or operated by the licensed daycare provider", so the insurance is not an issue.

If someone works odd hours (evenings, weekends, etc) and they get all stuffy about their child riding in a car, well, good luck, hope you find daycare, and best have deep pockets when you do.

I've just never treated or seen any difference between DC kids and my own....I play catch in the backyard with them, they have to abide by the same rules, eat the same meals at the same table, etc etc. There are many times we sit down and help with homework, school projects, etc.

If someone doesn't trust my judgment with their child in the car, I don't want their kid in my home, PERIOD.

I'm not saying we don't have our time off, quite the contrary....we have a couple days a week where there are no kids that arrive before lunch, and other days where there are no kids present after 2 or 3 pm, and at the moment, we have no kids on Sundays at all.

What I'm saying is, if you want to be successful, and generate the best revenue possible during times when people may be getting laid off, losing jobs, tightening budgets, etc and your income may be shrinking because of that, you may want to consider expanding your flexibility to make up for some lost income.

mac60 07-26-2009 05:51 AM

I do understand what you are saying. If I ever get to the point where I have lost families and I have no other choice but to be open hours I don't really want to be, then I will do what I have to to stay afloat. Right now I am in a position to work first shift only and be done by 5:15. As far as insurance here, homeowners daycare ins and car daycare ins would be 2 separate policies/cost. I still agree that being open 24/7 is not a good thing for providers, but I also understand that people do what they have to.

GretasLittleFriends 07-26-2009 10:00 AM

Looking at last week's schedule alone, if I chose to be open say 5am - 6pm, it would have been a losing week. I'd have had a 6yr old Mon from 5:30a - 4p and Tues from 12:30p - 5p. I could have provided care for a 16mo old boy Thurs from 8:15a - 6:30p, oh wait. I closed at 6... Of course that 16mo old boy would have found different care already, as his single mom works two jobs and I have him usually 7am - 8p. This doesn't include my two families that work second shift.

In our area there is an abundance of daycares open from 5a - 6p, it's very difficult to find alternate hours. Like CH said, there are days every week where there are either no kids in the am, or they're all gone by early afternoon. This is my family time with just our kids. Sundays are all ours too. I'm very happy with this arrangement.

Unregistered 11-05-2009 09:05 PM

Looking for Clarifiaction......

Originally Posted by pingaa3:
I charge for ten paid holidays and I am closed for one week of unpaid holiday during the week of christmas.

New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
Veterans Day
Presidents Day
Independence Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day After Thanksgiving
Good Friday
Labor Day
Week of Christmas (Unpaid)

Please remember that most of us are open M-F a minimum of 7am-5:30pm. That's a 10.5 hour day with no breaks for lunch etc. We don't get sick days. Some of us are open 6am-6pm - 12 hours.

We are not the enemy, we are the people you are trusting with your most precious asset, your children. For our mental health and the best interest of your child some of us take paid holidays.

Thanks,
pingaa3

P.S. Also most of us have children of our own that are off those days too!

My child is in a home child care and only goes 3 days a week and is the only child at the time, if a holiday falls on a saturday and they would normally close on friday would it be fair for me to pay an additional day of pay or just not bring my child in on one of the 3 days he does attend for "paid holiday"?????

momma2girls 11-09-2009 11:50 AM

Taking days off and getting paid for them

In my contract it reads, every family must pay me 2 weeks(10 days) vac. from Jan. to Jan. of every yr.
It also reads, if I take a day off, sickness, emergency, etc. I will take it unpaid or out of my vac. days.
Knock on wood, I have never had to just take off a day in over 5 yrs. now.
I also get paid the Holidays as well
In my mind, and I think in quite a # of minds- our job is just as important as anyone else's without the benefits- no health, dental, eye ins. no 401 K, no bonus, sick days, etc.
Everyone diserves a paid vacation whatever their profession!!
I left a nursing job after 7 yrs. to stay at home with my children. I was getting 5 weeks vac. (20 days when I left) I only worked there 4 days a week, but over 32 hrs.
These are some very well said thoughts in here!!! GOOD POINTS!!!!

Janet 11-10-2009 09:26 AM

I'm either nice or an idiot! LOL

Since I opened back in Nov. 2005, I have never charged for holidays, sick days, vacations, or days where parents decided to keep kids home. Incidentally, I have never raised rates either. Until recently, I even provided a back-up for my vacations, emergencies and if I was sick. What changed with that is that I kind of realized how little some of the parents thought of the service that they re provided. My daughter, Olivia, got the H1N1 virus and I closed down for 3 days. It's in my contract that I don't provide back up care now. Every family except 2 of them were cool. The 2 mad families don't have a back up. I just gave them a number and told them to call and work it out. I'm sure that I speak for most providers when I say that we bend over backwards to provide awesome care for our kids and it would be nice if that effort was appreciated. So you have to pay for holidays! BIG WHOOP. Does your employer complain about paying you for holidays and sick time (to your face, I mean...) Those 2 mad families also made my life miserable in September when my nephew, Anthony, unexpectedly passed away. He was born on 9/10 and died on 9/11 from pulmonary hypertension. I bent over backwards to try to help eveyone find care because it was so sudden. I have a friend who needs money so she helps out when I give her number out. She couldn't be at my house until 8:30am so the 2 families had to arrange own care for an hour 7:30-8:30. They complained and I broke down and found someone to cover but they didn't like that person. These are also the same 2 families that send their kiddos sick and then say its teething or allergies or what now. Parents, when you have a provider that tries to accommodate your needs and that loves your kids and more importantly, your kids love them back, don't take that for granted. Not every provider is like that. Pay your holiday pay and get over it!!!

ConcernedMotherof2 11-10-2009 01:02 PM

I wasn't going to post here, because it seems to have turned into another one of those volatile threads where I, too, have a strong opinion. But here I go...

The best arrangement I've ever had with a provider was this: A flat weekly rate. When the children attend at least 3 days of the week, I pay the full week. (example: Thanksgiving--two off days, but full week paid) If I decide not to bring my child (for whatever reason), full tuition is still paid. However, if the provider closed (always with as much notice as possible, but things do come up at the last minute) and I had to find alternate care, there was no fee for that day.

If you want to call your pay "salary," then keep in mind that you are implying that your parents are your employers. That is most certainly not the case.

I pay for child care so that I can work. I will not pay the provider for a week of paid vacation. (I don't get a week of paid vacation. How much sense does it make for me to hand you money when it means that I will either have to pay double to have someone actually watch my children or lose a week of pay at work, which may even cost me my job?) I will, however, pay for a week in the summer when my children are not attending because I chose to take them on vacation.

To me, it makes sense to pay a full week tuition for a week that contains one or two days off due to a holiday, but a week of paid vacation is just outrageous. Don't get me wrong, you ladies deserve a paid vacation, but I can't afford to finance it.

DBug 11-26-2009 10:50 AM

I've been muddling through issues like this since opening 9 months ago, and I've come to a solution that I like, and that I think is fair for parents. If they choose not to be here, they pay. If I choose to close, they don't pay. My rationale is that if I take a holiday or a sick day, they'll need to pay someone else to watch their child. If I'm open but they choose to take a family day or whatever, they still need to pay their regular rate. The only exception to that are stat holidays, which I require pay for. I know all of my parents have stats off and get paid for them. If I had a parent with a different situation, I'd probably make some arrangement with them for that.

I am running a business, but I'm trying not to gouge parents in the process. But since it is a business, and I'm an "independent contractor", they totally have the right to look elsewhere if they don't like the rates I charge.

And just like any other business, if I'm losing money because parents don't like the way I do things, I'm the one that needs to change. When it gets right down to it, I'm selling a service. If people aren't buying, I'm the one that suffers (along with my family of course). I would encourage any parents that have issues with their provider's fee schedule to do something about it -- take your business elsewhere!

jen 11-26-2009 07:45 PM

I think the problem is this...

Parents:

I WANT:

Organic/whole foods
No TV
Preschool curriculum
The best toys, the best educational tools
A provider with the patience of a saint
To have daycare available at least 11 hours per day

I DON'T want:
To pay more than the absolutely cheapest rate around.
To provide the provider any type of stable income so that the standards I desire can be upheld.
To respect the provider as a professional.

What I have learned over the last eight years is this...the people who want the most, also want to pay the least. They are the most demanding, leave their children in care the longest, and sadly, thier kids are the most likely to act out and be disruptive.

When you interview people whose biggest concern is how cheaply they can aquire care your best bet is to cut and run. You will save yourself a ton of hassle in the end.

Former Teacher 11-27-2009 04:00 AM

[quote=jen;16177]What I have learned over the last eight years is this...the people who want the most, also want to pay the least. They are the most demanding, leave their children in care the longest, and sadly, thier kids are the most likely to act out and be disruptive.QUOTE]

I totally agree! Couldn't have said it better! Perfect example is, and I hope people don't take this the wrong way, is that the parents on "state aid" are the WORST. I had this one mother years ago who was SO disrespectful it's not even funny. For instance: she would literally throw me a bottle in my hand and DEMANDED "make me a bottle"...no please or thank you. This woman also had 3 kids (would have been 4 since her last child was a twin, she aborted one baby because she couldn't afford 4 kids but that's another story) and paid next to nothing for quality childcare. She isn't the only one I have encounted. There have been many throughout the years that were just as disrespectful.

As for your statement about leaving the child(ren) 11 plus hours a day, I also agree with that. I also believe that the younger the child is, the longer they are in care. I wish TX would change their law requiring that a child can not be in care longer than 12 hours a day. I wish it would go to 10 hours. Parents take advantage of that extra time. I have always said no child should ideally be in care longer than 11 hours. 1 hour to get to work, 8 hour day plus 1 hour for lunch, and 1 hour to get back. That is 11 hours. Another stupid law of TX licensing.

Anyway Jen as I said, I agree with your post!

Janet 11-30-2009 05:35 PM

I am beginning to hate the holidays...

O.K. I can see that there is a pretty defined line as to how the parents and providers feel regarding vacation pay, but for crying out loud, holiday pay is an issue? What the heck! Why should a daycare provider not charge for the holidays? I wish that I did because while the parents in my care are taking those days off and getting paid for them, I am closed and not getting paid for them because I wanted to be nice. If I could turn back time, holidays would be included as paid days. I would still not charge for vacations but the holiday, that would be different. And also, why can't parents just do as instructed in the contract and have a back-up provider available in case of illness or vacation, etc.? One of my daycare parents had the sheer nerve to complain because I'm closed on Christmas eve and it doesn't work for her schedule. Some parents expect way too much and are not willing to pay the price for what they are asking for. Sorry to vent and sorry if it's not making sense but I am beyond angry right now.

Chickenhauler 12-01-2009 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

Originally Posted by jen:
What I have learned over the last eight years is this...the people who want the most, also want to pay the least. They are the most demanding, leave their children in care the longest, and sadly, thier kids are the most likely to act out and be disruptive.

I totally agree! Couldn't have said it better! Perfect example is, and I hope people don't take this the wrong way, is that the parents on "state aid" are the WORST. I had this one mother years ago who was SO disrespectful it's not even funny. For instance: she would literally throw me a bottle in my hand and DEMANDED "make me a bottle"...no please or thank you. This woman also had 3 kids (would have been 4 since her last child was a twin, she aborted one baby because she couldn't afford 4 kids but that's another story) and paid next to nothing for quality childcare. She isn't the only one I have encounted. There have been many throughout the years that were just as disrespectful.

I can't agree more-not only expecting everything, but abusing the system to boot!

Example-one family is alloted XX hours of county paid care per week.....they took the day off from work, dumped the kids at DC, and went deer hunting.

Another one did something similar-allotted a certain number of hours by the county per week, and did the exact same thing...took the entire WEEK off unpaid and dropped their kids at DC and went hunting...all week long.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if a person is so down on their luck that they can't pay their own DC bill, what right do they have to buy a deer license, ammo, own a firearm, take time off from work without pay, and go hunting (and usually come home empty handed) while the rest of us pay their daycare bills?

Keep up the hard work, millions on welfare are depending upon you!

mac60 12-01-2009 02:49 AM

This is exactly why I never have or never will take state aid families. Most of them (not all) have the "entitlement mentality", you know they think because of (in many instances) they made bad choices in their life, the rest of us should pick up the pieces and pay their way. I don't what those kind of people in my home. While I realize that not ever person/family falls into the category of the "entitlement mentality" if I don't personally know them, there is no way of knowing. I guess being a person who has always worked, paid my own way, and worked my butt off for what little we have, I just don't have a whole lot of respect for many of these people.

A past family that I had, they both worked at the same company. It was a Honda plant that made parts for Honda. While I don't know how much they made at their job, I am certain between the 2 of them they made at least $25per hour combined. They had 2 kids. They had a descent home probably valued about $135,000. In 2005 they bought a brand new Pacifica. In 2006 they bought a brand new Colorado 4 door pick up truck. About 4 months after they bought the truck, the mom came in and in a very abrupt way asked me how many bottles D. drank each day (he was 10 mo old). I told her, and she said, "Yea, they said we make too much money to get WIC anymore and now we have to buy our own formula". OMG, I was so pissed, to think that our system was buying formula for a family that was driving 2 brand new vehicles, and they were not cheap ones. She felt they were "entitled" to free formula for some reason. Gees, no one ever gave me free formula or anything else free. I always paid my own way. I eventually had to terminate this family for not paying on time and severe behavior issues with their 5 yr old. Funny the parents could afford these 2 vehicles, yet couldn't afford to take their child to get help for severe behavior issues. Once again....poor choices.

Unregistered 12-01-2009 11:13 AM

Ha! Substandard pay? Well then maybe you should find another job! And it is even funnier when you know the policies better than the staff and you have to pull it out on them!

Well then i guess your just gonna have to feel ripped off then huh!..........Know you know what a rip off is...............taking care of your children for substandard pay!!!!! I'm entitled to charge for holidays and charge for at least 2 personal days. Its funny how the holidays don't ever seem to be a problem until the week of. Any other providers have this problem. I find myself having to break out the contract over and over again.

GretasLittleFriends 12-01-2009 11:24 AM

It seems I have both ends of the spectrum of state aid parents.

I have one set who are the (sometimes overly) demanding type. One child seems borderline special needs which can be demanding of itself. Many times I feel like even if I could give these parents the sun and the moon that wouldn't be enough. I've quickly learned to just let it roll off my back, though of course I do call the hubby to vent every so often.

I have another family, well single mom, who is still in HS and working at a fast food joint. Should qualify for state aid, yet she's on a waiting list. Quite a ways down on the list too. I feel bad for her because she is paying her way, living with her mom, trying to finish H.S. and yet is working to cover her expenses of her not so good decisions made in life. She is very sweet and she apologizes when she hears that her infant (6 weeks old) had a fussy day or whatever. I laugh because it's not her fault, I just thought she should know how baby was so she'd know what to expect for the night. She's the type who is trying to do something positive with her life and could just use a little help getting up that next step.

HappyCamper 12-30-2009 10:31 AM

Just my 2 cents...

Why is it a rip-off to pay for a full week when your children will only be there two days? The mortgage or rent on the building has to be paid, as well as utilities, staff wages, etc. - REGARDLESS if your child is there or not. Is it really worth griping over a handfull of school closures per year?

As far as "factoring" holidays into tuition costs... Parents complain about paying $2.00 to $3.00 per hour as it is. I can only imagine your reaction if you were told your tuition rates were to increase to $4.00 per hour to cover Federal Holidays closures. It sounds good "in theory" but I'm guessing you wouldn't think it was such a grand idea if it were to happen.

gbcc 12-30-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by HappyCamper:
Why is it a rip-off to pay for a full week when your children will only be there two days? The mortgage or rent on the building has to be paid, as well as utilities, staff wages, etc. - REGARDLESS if your child is there or not. Is it really worth griping over a handfull of school closures per year?

As far as "factoring" holidays into tuition costs... Parents complain about paying $2.00 to $3.00 per hour as it is. I can only imagine your reaction if you were told your tuition rates were to increase to $4.00 per hour to cover Federal Holidays closures. It sounds good "in theory" but I'm guessing you wouldn't think it was such a grand idea if it were to happen.

I agree. They complain regardless of how many ways you try to adjust your policies. The kicker is, I bet unregistered mommy gets paid holidays and vacations but doesn't think her daycare provider should.

HappyCamper 12-30-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by gbcc:
I agree. They complain regardless of how many ways you try to adjust your policies. The kicker is, I bet unregistered mommy gets paid holidays and vacations but doesn't think her daycare provider should.

I bet she does too... We work long hours for slave wages, yet heaven forbid we get one paid day off per year. LOL!!!

The fact is, complaining/ungrateful parents and child care go hand in hand. LOL!!! It always amazes me that parents complain to the very people who love, hug, teach, feed, and basically RAISE their precious children. If life were fair, we'd be treated like queens (by the parents), we'd make triple what we do, and we'd receive benefits, sick pay, and paid vacations. But, as you know, we don't always get what we deserve. :(

mac60 12-30-2009 11:48 AM

Amen to this. Why do some parents think we are not deserving.

gbcc 12-30-2009 12:34 PM

Good thing we are professionals and don't go by that saying "you get what you pay for" Those kids wouldn't even eat! To them we are disposable, which is really a shame. We are very important to the child's emotional growth.

mac60 12-30-2009 05:55 PM

Good thing we are professionals and don't go by that saying "you get what you pay for" Those kids wouldn't even eat! To them we are disposable, which is really a shame. We are very important to the child's emotional growth.

very well said!:)

sweetcinna 01-17-2010 10:49 AM

Ha! Substandard pay? Well then maybe you should find another job! And it is even funnier when you know the policies better than the staff and you have to pull it out on them!

Yep you heard me right.......Substandard pay! I've been in the daycare field for 16 plus years and don't plan on finding another profession! Maybe you should register and maybe we might just care about what you have to say! Staff??? I have no "staff" sweetcheeks its just me, myself and I!

Carole's Daycare 01-27-2010 01:10 PM

Considering the average home day care provider works an average of 10.5-12 hours/day with no breaks and no lunch to accommodate the varying needs of her clients I find it essential that she get paid for holidays just as any working professional would. I also think it is important that she get paid for vacations otherwise she might not be able to afford to take them. I don't feel it is healthy for anyone to work those hours 5 days a week and to be financially discouraged from taking vacation and holiday time. Do you really want that unhealthy overworked person caring for your child?

Thank You!! I work 12 hr days, with often no real break, and have only taken 2 sick days in 8 years. Still I have occasionally heard griping about my standard paid Holidays. I need to be able to budget, so getting paid consistently regardless of attendance, including those few holidays, is what allows me to pay my bills on time and continue to purchase quality curriculum and materials for the children in care. We are expected to throw Holiday parties, provide Christmas gifts , birthday cupcakes- and generally enjoy it, but it does make one feel unappreciated when you have to argue and justify every penny you charge and every hour you take off. My families were unhappy about me taking the Friday off after Thanksgiving as a paid Holiday, until I explained that the clinics are not open any of my other Holidays (4th of July, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, New Years Day, and I had not had a physical in 7 years or managed a dental appt in 2. I made at least that committment to myself and my family that I deserve that and will do it every year. You're daycare is blessed to have a client who understands and values them.:)

Carole's Daycare 01-27-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
I can't agree more-not only expecting everything, but abusing the system to boot!

Example-one family is alloted XX hours of county paid care per week.....they took the day off from work, dumped the kids at DC, and went deer hunting.

I allowed myself to get convinced to work a half day this year on Christmas Eve- I had two moms who said they had to work etc, and tried to be nice. I needed to close at noon because we had put my great grandpa (86) in the assisted living home after falling in the snow and having a close call with hypothermia days earlier, and I promised I'd cook him a turkey dinner and bring it, and my mother in laws ceiling had collapsed in her kitchen while she was at the VA hospital w/ her husband due to a leaky water heater upstairs. Needless to say, I had my hands full taking care of everyone's issues and needed to be done on time. Noon rolled around & 1 family of two still wasnt picked up- the food was ready to go to grandpas and nobody would answer the phone. Two hours later with Grandpas dinner ruined a very happy dad showed up after a great day of ice fishing. Mom had to work, dad just didnt even want to spend a holiday with his kids so multiplied my stress instead. I'll never have the same trust or respect for those parents- because she lied & misled to give him the day off, and he is one who consistently complains about me getting paid holidays, although he gets holidays, sick days etc.

Grrrr

momofboys 01-27-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
I allowed myself to get convinced to work a half day this year on Christmas Eve- I had two moms who said they had to work etc, and tried to be nice. I needed to close at noon because we had put my great grandpa (86) in the assisted living home after falling in the snow and having a close call with hypothermia days earlier, and I promised I'd cook him a turkey dinner and bring it, and my mother in laws ceiling had collapsed in her kitchen while she was at the VA hospital w/ her husband due to a leaky water heater upstairs. Needless to say, I had my hands full taking care of everyone's issues and needed to be done on time. Noon rolled around & 1 family of two still wasnt picked up- the food was ready to go to grandpas and nobody would answer the phone. Two hours later with Grandpas dinner ruined a very happy dad showed up after a great day of ice fishing. Mom had to work, dad just didnt even want to spend a holiday with his kids so multiplied my stress instead. I'll never have the same trust or respect for those parents- because she lied & misled to give him the day off, and he is one who consistently complains about me getting paid holidays, although he gets holidays, sick days etc.

Grrrr

Wow!!!!!! Unbelieveable! I hope you charged them one heck of a late fee & explained how his lateness affected your family!!!! I would have been so hot under the collar. More than likely I would have been so mad that after I collected their hefty late fee I would have terminated services. How did you handle it? I say I would do the above but I am not sure if I truly would.

Carole's Daycare 01-27-2010 07:14 PM

I let the Dad know he was supposed to be there by noon, & I thought he was working- he totally blew me off. I confronted Mom the following Monday at drop off and demanded the late fee up front, which she paid, but it was still only $25, which didn't make up for the inconvenience. I told her so and that I was very dissappointed in her for lying/misleading that her hubby was at work. She basically pulled the old he's an ******* and resents paying you for Holidays anyway and she was bullied into it excuse. I said this is your one pass, the next time you'll be terminated. If he wants to go fishing on my Holiday he can get grandma to watch or something. She said she felt bad that I was hurt by it she thought he'd pick up on time or send Grandma to do it. I've always really liked her & she pays on time w/ no trouble, usually picks up on time- works for the Postal Service, which is why I agreed to work Christmas Eve to begin with. Now that I'm very clear on how her spouse feels about me and behaves I made it clear there will be -0- excuses or problems in the future because that was beyond inconsiderate. We'll see.

MarinaVanessa 01-27-2010 11:58 PM

Hmm but in this argument we could also say that why should your work pay you on a holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas if you don't work? Isn't that the same thing? Lot's of businesses are closed on these days and if what you are saying is true then why should anyone anywhere get paid for holidays if they are not working. Unethical? I think not. Everyone gets vacation time and paid sick time no matter where you work. Some places it's based on how much time you put in and in others it's a set amount of time (i.e. two-weeks). Providing child care is also a job. Unfortunately child care providers are looked at as babysitters too often than not and we are more than just that. This is our career. We work long hours without state mandated rest periods and meal breaks and we do it because we love it.

Not all providers charge the same, expect the same things, do the same things or provide the same kind of care. We charge what we think we are worth and it is up to the parent to decide whether they think it's worth that much and pay it. Some providers offer vacation time, some don't. Some offer maternity leave, some don't. All in all what I am saying is that it is up to us to ask for what we want and up to the parent's to decide if our daycare fits their needs or not. If a parent doesn't like how a daycare works there are others that may suit their needs. We have a right to say "this is what I expect" and parents have a right to say "I don't agree".

I myself, allow myself 2 weeks of vacation and don't expect pay. I also allow for each family to take 2 weeks off without pay. I do however, charge a flat weekly rate and a daily drop-in rate. My weekly rate is lower than my drop-in rate when you break it down hourly. I also offer a discount of paid monthly in advance. If a child doesn't come, they still pay for the week. Before I had my own daycare I paid someone to watch my child and it worked the same. It is normal for child providers to conduct business this way because no matter how you dice it, it is a business and no one runs a business if they're not going to make money off of it. We have higher food bills, utility bills, our homes suffer from higher wear and tear and we have to consider that in our fees.

DWTC 08-04-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by seashell:
If you are not happy with paying for your providers holidays, then find a new provider. I am amazed at the parents out there who don't read the documents presented to them and then complain.

You need to pay the entire cost to rent a hotel room . . . you can't just pay for the hours you are in the room. It's still your room from the time you sign the register until you check out.

I don't charge my parents for my sick days or vacation. I do charge for holidays as most providers do.

But to make it "Fair" to parents and providers alike, lets try it this way. Parents, you don't have to pay for holidays but you do have to pay your provider at least minimum wage. Federal minimum wage is currently $6.65 per hour and will be 7.25 per hour in July. So to make it easy, lets just call it $7 per hour.

So, if you leave your child with your provider for 40 hours a week at $7 per hour your weeky fee would be $280.00.

I wonder how many of you are paying alot less than minimum wage when you break it down by hour?

Considering the great service they provide you. You child is loved, happy, educated and well cared for. That isn't even worth minimum wage to you?

Most providers care for kids because they enjoy it. They arn't out to screw parents. If they were, you'd be paying more than minimum wage per hour. So whats the compromise for affordable weekly care? Be considerate and appreciative and pay for holidays!

LOL!! This is funny...let's really figure this out if you want to consider minimum wage.
Let's say you are only open 40 hours per week at $7 an hour equaling $280.00 per week. And let's say you have 5 children in your care...so really that would only be $56 per child...per week. That would be really affordable!!! :lol:

momofboys 08-05-2010 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by DWTC:
LOL!! This is funny...let's really figure this out if you want to consider minimum wage.
Let's say you are only open 40 hours per week at $7 an hour equaling $280.00 per week. And let's say you have 5 children in your care...so really that would only be $56 per child...per week. That would be really affordable!!! :lol:

Not everyone cares for that many children or all on a full-time basis. Let's see, this fall I will make a whopping $250/week for a total of 45 hrs of care. That is not per child. I will have two full-time kids & one SA B & A school. I only wish I made $7/hr. . . . than I could bring in over $300. As it is I make about $5.50/hr total give or take a few pennies.:lol: Not bad money, I guess considering I get to be home w/my toddler & it's not like I am complaining. I LOVE what I do, I have a four year degree so I could probably easily get a good job & maybe will do that when my youngest reaches school-age. But to me it's more important to be home with my kids. Some providers certainly do make good $$$ doing care but that should not be a determining factor in whether they get a paid holiday or not.

DWTC 08-05-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by janarae:
Not everyone cares for that many children or all on a full-time basis. Let's see, this fall I will make a whopping $250/week for a total of 45 hrs of care. That is not per child. I will have two full-time kids & one SA B & A school. I only wish I made $7/hr. . . . than I could bring in over $300. As it is I make about $5.50/hr total give or take a few pennies.:lol: Not bad money, I guess considering I get to be home w/my toddler & it's not like I am complaining. I LOVE what I do, I have a four year degree so I could probably easily get a good job & maybe will do that when my youngest reaches school-age. But to me it's more important to be home with my kids. Some providers certainly do make good $$$ doing care but that should not be a determining factor in whether they get a paid holiday or not.

I just thought it was a bad example to use why daycare providers should get paid for holidays. I think that if a child is usually in care the day of the holiday, then the daycare provider should get the day off paid!!

It's just like a lot of at home businesses...you have to balance everything out to make it work. People usually don't understand what it takes to run a business...for example, I'm starting to photograph weddings and I hear a lot of people complain about how expensive it is to hire a wedding photographer. They don't understand because they only see the photographer there for about 6 -8 hours, but it usually takes on average 30 hours to complete a wedding. So should the photographer only get paid for the 6-8 hours? That's how photography businesses go out of business, they wouldn't even have enough money to cover expenses.

Unregistered 10-04-2010 12:56 PM

Specific Question

There is no way I can read aaalll of the responses on here, but I've got a specific case that I'd like an opinion on from the providers. My mom did daycare out of her home for 20+ years as I was growing up so I am completely sympathetic to having benefits as a provider.

My son is now in daycare and I absolutely love where I send him. Unfortunately, I got the schedule for Oct 2010- August 2011 the other day when I picked him up and was a tad dismayed. There are a total of 17 days where the daycare will be closed in less than a year. I have absolutely zero problem with the daycare being paid for regular holidays such as Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day and Good Friday even. I even understand 2-3 teaching days for the teachers to have training. But this year they are taking Dec. 23, 24th, and the following Monday off for Christmas, and the same with New Year's Eve. Also, they are taking two full days off for Mardi Gras. We are in Louisiana but NOT in New Orleans so none of the surrounding businesses will be closed for Mardi Gras. They are also scheduling around 6 days of training this year. As I said earlier, I really truly have no problem with them getting paid holidays. But I do know for a fact that the women who are employed there are not being paid for all of the holidays they are closing. So when it comes down to the it, the daycare is making pure profit while I am forced to find other means. My husband and I typically can work something out with a family member because we are *lucky*. What do parents do who live in a city that they have no family? Am I wrong for thinking they are being excessive? I know I really don't mind them being closed and being paid for days that I am also off of work...but it gets to be very challenging when they are taking days off that most normal people do not have off of work.

If you do agree with me, how would I approach the daycare without offending? I am very, very happy with the services they provide, just wish I didn't feel as though the parents there are being taken advantage of.

Todd McCullough 10-12-2010 05:18 AM

I'm glad there have been so many replies to this.

I found this with a search in Google - ""legal to charge" "daycare" holiday ontario"

Neither I nor my wife get paid holidays. Neither I nor my wife get benefits. I have in the past, with a few former employers, but it's not the case now.

I do not believe that it is right to charge for holidays. I understand you are running a business (from all estimates around here a lucrative one I might add) and you deserve to make money too for services offered. It's option to add it to your contract, and it's a parents option to accept the contract, or move on.

But, I think you can use your own judgement and cut some of your clients some slack. Not everyone has got it so easy at the moment. People are out of jobs all over, if you don't ease off and continue to think of the parents who come to you as "whiners" (as some of you have put it) than you might very well be faced with unemployment as well.

In my province, in Canada, I think there needs to be more regulation. I also think that the government needs to kick in financing to offset the costs to parents.

That way you get your paid vacation that you assume I get as well, and I will be able to pay my bills and feed my kids and hope to get some stress free days in the future.

Jewels 10-12-2010 08:50 AM

Todd I agree with you from a provider, I do charge for holidays, But I would also choose to not charge someone, if they told me they did not get paid that day at their work, However for the parents that do get paid holidays, I would expect them to pay me, I have one child here who is on governments assistance, And they do not pay for holidays, so I could charge the family, but I choose not to, because I know that the mom does not recieve paid days off, A couple weeks ago, I had a family that had to take their kid out for the week because they couldnt afford daycare, And though it can't be a regular thing, because I could fill that spot with someone else, I was fine with it that time, I also agree that there is alot of harsh talk towards parents here!

MommyMuffin 10-12-2010 10:14 AM

I agree with Jewels, I have paid holidays, 10 per year. It is nice to have time with family. I know not everyone gets that time off. If there was a situation where a parent felt they could not pay for a holiday then I would talk with them about it and arrange something. I think it helps providers to de-stress and prevent burnout. Some providers cannot go without pay for 1 day and budget with that in mind. For example, thanksgiving is coming up and it is during the week. Some families have the day before off as well. If I did not have paid holiday my income for the month of november would be 200 less. Which to me is my car payment for the month.

Todd McCullough 10-12-2010 12:48 PM

Hi Jewels.
Its nice to see that there are providers out there, who understand that at the end of the day, they are still running a business. Who can value their customers.

A little bit more of what I was thinking earlier...

It irks me that there is an attitude prevalent among many providers, that they are doing a FAVOUR (Canadian spelling eh!) for me and the other parents.

However, it's a service and unfortunately you are going to get a lot of BAD customers that feel that they never get enough for what they pay for. Thems the breaks.

All I ask is that you don't take for granted those of us who appreciate what you're doing. (nights and weekends are plenty enough, though I would happily take more ;) I never complain about my service, although it would be nice to get a weekly status report of what's happening in my little mans daily life.

Hell, I think its sad the girl who works for the day care and looks after my son, has to leave her 1 yr old to go and work looking after other peoples kids! You guys deserve compensation too.

So I get it. You deserve your cake and you should eat it too. Not everyone has cake though! :) My family's finances have been a roller coaster for the last year and half for example.

Anyways. The costs just add up when you're in a corner.

DBug 10-12-2010 01:53 PM

Todd, it's so nice to see a fellow Canadian on these boards! There are a few of us, but it's always nice to meet another :). I'm in Ontario too, near Barrie. I'm a home daycare provider, and I'm not licensed. You mentioned government help with daycare -- have you looked into subsidization? Licensed providers can accept subsidized clients, and from the rates I've seen for my county, they make more doing it than I do accepting un-subsidized clients. I'm pretty sure you do pay for stats with licensed providers, but a percentage of that would, of course, be covered.

On a personal note, I have 3 kids, and there's no way it makes financial sense for me to go to work AND pay for daycare (read: I wouldn't be able to pay the rates I charge). That's why I chose this line of work, and believe me, there's a huge demand for it around here. The bottom line may be something you and your wife may want to seriously consider in figuring out the whole daycare situation. If there's any way to split shifts or job share, it may be worth the consideration. Just my two cents, for what it's worth :rolleyes:.

Todd McCullough 10-14-2010 08:11 AM

Hi DBug and thanks.

I'll look into the subsidizing. Based on our current income we could use all the help we can get. Hopefully soon though, things turn around for me again.

My wife is studying to be a nurse right now. But had to put it off for now because we're expecting a second stork bundle. We're not the greatest at family planning! ;)

We're against the ropes right now, but I think we're going to win by TKO soon enough. :)

Cheers!

cherryhill 10-15-2010 11:46 AM

I don't understand why parents are complaining about paying holidays if it is in the contract. This should be questioned before care starts. If they have a problem they can go else where and find care that does not charge for Holidays. It is that simple.

beach_grl 10-21-2010 01:10 PM

I charge for the major holidays (I don't take federal holidays) I do NOT charge if I go on vacation. I DO charge if you go on vacation, or if your child is ill and not in my care.

Here is how I see it: If I am here, and open for business, I expect to be paid. What if you went to work one day, and your boss says " Hey, we don't need you today. Oh, and we are not paying you, either." It would be a little irritating, wouldn't it?

It is in my contract that if the full weekly rate is not paid, I reserve the right to fill your child's spot and terminate services. I am only allowed a certain # of children, and I need to know how much I am making per week to budget my bills.

Unregistered 11-02-2010 01:35 PM

I agree that childcare providers should get paid for holidays, they take fare of our most precious possessions, but their is a better way to answer this question... you sound so angry I would be afraid of leaving my children with you. Beside you have to think that not everyone gets paid salary or holiday/vacation time, some people are just making minimum wage in which case it may be a financial stress to have to pay holiday time when they are not making extra money. Remember this forum is here to help and answer everyones questions... be nice and polite. :)

Unregistered 11-24-2010 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
"Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7. "

My, you sound like a provider who really doesn't like parents or children... Maybe time to find a new profession? I am a healthcare professional and think it is completely fair to provide my childcare provider for the same paid holidays that most other professionals receive.. These would be Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.. But, we had one who wanted paid time off for every school vacation day, including the 2 weeks off at Christmas paid! This is an extreme hardship on parents who must pay "double" and find someone else to cover those days. Many of these parents aren't lucky enough to be getting ANY paid holidays of their own... Of the ones who are, only parents who happen to be school teachers are getting as many paid holidays as this childcare provider. (We found someone new). If this woman wants so many paid holidays she should go back to college and get a teaching degree.

I have to agree with the second one I am independent contractor / owner. I get paid when I work and not on my time off, My friend called me all pi$$ed off that she have to work and her daycare is taking the day off on black Friday to go shopping, now you tell me HOW IS THAT COOL?? No you don't have to I will IT's NOT and she is not paying.

Unregistered 11-24-2010 06:21 PM

I have to agree with the second one I am independent contractor / owner. I get paid when I work and not on my time off, My friend called me all pi$$ed off that she have to work and her daycare is taking the day off on black Friday to go shopping, now you tell me HOW IS THAT COOL?? No you don't have to I will IT's NOT and she is not paying.

Seriously, I have to ask...

How is it cool that parents sign a contract and then continue to complain when the contents of said contract are enforced. Let me tell you....IT'S NOT.

Parents are free to choose daycare that meets their needs. If it is your friends need is to have a daycare that is open on Black Friday, then she should have found one of those!!!

Good grief.

Unregistered 12-02-2010 05:40 PM

Paid Holidays

Do you get paid for your holidays? .

I don't get paid for holidays, so I now have to have a day off and not get paid and on top of that I have to pay someone else to have a paid day off, I do value what they provide but it seems a little much.

Unregistered 12-08-2010 01:15 PM

whatever

I see both sides of this issue but one thing that gets me is like everyone said, the days around a holiday. This year xmas is on a sat. as well as new years, but my daycare is taking that Friday ( xmas eve and new years eve) and that Monday ( dec 27 and Jan 3rd) which most of us are working, especially those Mondays. SO why is this ok? Yes we all need vacations but at most jobs they don't close down so everyone can go on vacation. Why not split it up? ( some personel take off) And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare. Been to daycare lately? Not overbooked like they used to in todays economy. You are paying for a service. Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it. But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

marniewon 12-08-2010 10:02 PM

I see both sides of this issue but one thing that gets me is like everyone said, the days around a holiday. This year xmas is on a sat. as well as new years, but my daycare is taking that Friday ( xmas eve and new years eve) and that Monday ( dec 27 and Jan 3rd) which most of us are working, especially those Mondays. SO why is this ok? Yes we all need vacations but at most jobs they don't close down so everyone can go on vacation. Why not split it up? ( some personel take off) And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare. Been to daycare lately? Not overbooked like they used to in todays economy. You are paying for a service. Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it. But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

Most professional jobs (and many non-professional jobs) offer their employees a weekday holiday if the actual holiday falls on a weekend. You ask why the provider can't split them up - it's not her fault that there are 2 holidays exactly a week apart! Personally, I don't take Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve off, so I'm only taking those days this year (because the actual holiday is on a Saturday).

But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.

Are you telling me that you have to work EVERY holiday and you don't get compensated for that? I don't know of any place who insists on employees working and doesn't pay AT LEAST time and a half. Seems to me that would be plenty to pay your dc provider for a much needed day off AND a neighbor kid to babysit your kids for the day (or how about family, for free??).

And this excuse of you are holding a spot is only true if there is a waiting list for daycare.

Nope - you are STILL paying to hold a spot - waiting list or not! Holidays are a big time for drop-in care, and if you don't want to pay for your spot, there are probably other families who could use that day or week.

Unfortunately they got you by the B@!!$ b/c if u like the place and they take good care of your child, it is not worth it.

Bingo! u like the place and they take good care of your child That's it right there! You like the place and they take good care of your child....but you don't feel they are worth compensating them for a holiday? How many hours a day do you work? Because your dcp probably works anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. How many breaks do you get? Because your dcp might be lucky to grab a few minutes at naptime, IF all the children go down at the same time and actually sleep. Do you make minimum wage? Because there's a good chance that even with all the kids in her care, your dcp might not even make that much (I don't).

Your dcp opens her home to the children she cares for, getting wear and tear on her furniture, toys, etc, has to put up with a lot of BS with parents who won't pay, or pay late, or bring sick kids, or complain about any holiday that she takes with little pay and few breaks, and long hours. Obviously she loves children to do this, and you should be thrilled that you got such a great and caring dcp and be happy to give her a much needed vacation/holiday once in a while!

AfterSchoolMom 12-09-2010 06:02 AM

Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.

jen 12-09-2010 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Do me a favor - go to work for about a month, skip your lunch break and any of your other breaks. Work about 4 hours longer than you usually do every day. If there are any holidays, don't take them off. Don't speak to another adult during any of this time. Make sure that it's really loud in your workplace ALL the time. THEN see how you feel about your provider having off a couple of days around Christmas.

Love this!

momofboys 12-09-2010 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by marniewon:
Most professional jobs (and many non-professional jobs) offer their employees a weekday holiday if the actual holiday falls on a weekend. You ask why the provider can't split them up - it's not her fault that there are 2 holidays exactly a week apart! Personally, I don't take Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve off, so I'm only taking those days this year (because the actual holiday is on a Saturday).

Are you telling me that you have to work EVERY holiday and you don't get compensated for that? I don't know of any place who insists on employees working and doesn't pay AT LEAST time and a half. Seems to me that would be plenty to pay your dc provider for a much needed day off AND a neighbor kid to babysit your kids for the day (or how about family, for free??)

Nope - you are STILL paying to hold a spot - waiting list or not! Holidays are a big time for drop-in care, and if you don't want to pay for your spot, there are probably other families who could use that day or week.

Bingo! u like the place and they take good care of your child That's it right there! You like the place and they take good care of your child....but you don't feel they are worth compensating them for a holiday? How many hours a day do you work? Because your dcp probably works anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. How many breaks do you get? Because your dcp might be lucky to grab a few minutes at naptime, IF all the children go down at the same time and actually sleep. Do you make minimum wage? Because there's a good chance that even with all the kids in her care, your dcp might not even make that much (I don't).

Your dcp opens her home to the children she cares for, getting wear and tear on her furniture, toys, etc, has to put up with a lot of BS with parents who won't pay, or pay late, or bring sick kids, or complain about any holiday that she takes with little pay and few breaks, and long hours. Obviously she loves children to do this, and you should be thrilled that you got such a great and caring dcp and be happy to give her a much needed vacation/holiday once in a while!

Very well put!~

My Daycare 12-09-2010 06:51 AM

Perfect, but don't forget to clean and disinfect all day.

nikia 12-09-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by My Daycare:
Perfect, but don't forget to clean and disinfect all day.

And the changing poopy diapers, wiping snotty noses, and cleaning up vomit when parents choose to leave out the part of their child being sick the night before. :D

Unregistered 12-09-2010 11:10 AM

I would do that but I did not CHOOSE to do that line of work. I see all your points, I really do. But get mad at your boss, or your career choice, not me, who by the way is the customer and person who you depend on to pay daycare everyweek so you can get paid. And if you work 4 hours longer, and no lunches, and you don't get paid for it, then once again that is on you. No one is arguing take the holidays off, but taking advantage on OUR dime is the issue.

Unregistered 12-09-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by marniewon:

Are you telling me that you have to work EVERY holiday and you don't get compensated for that? I don't know of any place who insists on employees working and doesn't pay AT LEAST time and a half. Seems to me that would be plenty to pay your dc provider for a much needed day off AND a neighbor kid to babysit your kids for the day (or how about family, for free??).

Wow, I really did not mean to open a can of worms. And what you all do is a thankless job and I am VERY blessed to have my child in a great daycare. Hopefull you can see my side too. No one is asking for you to take unpaid holidays. And technically the parents are paying for your paid holiday by paying for a full week. But can't it be both? Can't the parents pay a prorated fee if it is a partial week and you still get paid?
It is more the days off when no one else is off that is the issue.Like I have said I do get it and once again I thank all of those who are really doing good work, just those days that they are closed (monday after xmas) but everyone else has to work still kills me. Think about the parents who do not have paid days off and they now have to stay home, lose a days pay and then on tuesday pay for the whole week. Just reverse the roles. And if not, we can agree to disagree

AfterSchoolMom 12-09-2010 01:35 PM

I totally understand where you're coming from there, and can see it from a parent perspective. I personally don't charge for my days off. However, that wasn't what you (or another unregistered poster who I assumed was you) said:

Originally Posted by :
But writing that check out for Thanksgiving and xmas and new years kills me every year.