Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Closing Daycare because of Medical Reasons (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88397)

Pamela 01-27-2018 01:12 PM

Closing Daycare because of Medical Reasons

Hi!
I own a very small commercial daycare. I am often the only teacher because I cannot afford to hire more teachers. There have been occasions when I have had to have the children (5 of them) wait outside the bathroom door while I go to to the bathroom. I have also had to sneak away what three of them are asleep on their cot to run to the bathroom. I suffer from
Irritable bowl disease. I know that if state liscening pops in while I run to the bathroom I would be in serious trouble. My doctor wants me to do further testing to make sure that I am not suffering from Crohn’s disease. I do have a lease and the only way to break the lease is if I cannot maintain my day care licensing. I will have to be non compliant based upon shoes. Has anyone had to give a very short notice to their families that they would be closing their business? As of now I have nine families. Only three of my families are working families the other six Used to be more like a children’s day out type program. I would love your thoughts

Unregistered 01-27-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela:
Hi!
I own a very small commercial daycare. I am often the only teacher because I cannot afford to hire more teachers. There have been occasions when I have had to have the children (5 of them) wait outside the bathroom door while I go to to the bathroom. I have also had to sneak away what three of them are asleep on their cot to run to the bathroom. I suffer from
Irritable bowl disease. I know that if state liscening pops in while I run to the bathroom I would be in serious trouble. My doctor wants me to do further testing to make sure that I am not suffering from Crohn’s disease. I do have a lease and the only way to break the lease is if I cannot maintain my day care licensing. I will have to be non compliant based upon shoes. Has anyone had to give a very short notice to their families that they would be closing their business? As of now I have nine families. Only three of my families are working families the other six Used to be more like a children’s day out type program. I would love your thoughts

Are you able to raise rates? I would and I would hire a part time person.

rosieteddy 01-29-2018 09:15 AM

Back in 2015 I had a heart attack.I closed after a week in the hospital.There was no way to know how long a recovery period would be.Every parent understood and found care quickly.I did not charge even though I had sick time to use.I felt bad but sometimes the universe makes decisions for us.Good luck.

Mom2Two 01-29-2018 10:30 AM

What state are you in? We could help you better if we could double check your state's safety rules--I'm wondering if you've really got it right about not being allowed to visit the restroom.

Play Care 01-29-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
What state are you in? We could help you better if we could double check your state's safety rules--I'm wondering if you've really got it right about not being allowed to visit the restroom.

I wonder if it's because she's technically a center?
As an in home provider, it's understood we would have to use the bathroom. Even with that, my regs say I should minimize those times or get an assistant if necessary.

daycarediva 01-29-2018 10:51 AM

I have IBS. On awful days, I have someone come fill in for me.

Keep a food diary, reduce stress, steroids help.

If you're such a SMALL operation, (only 9 families) what's your profit margin look like? Would it be more cost effective to do it from a home situation (group daycare, hire a FT assistant, or family child care and hire someone as drop in) ?